Options

boat....boats...boats...i love boats

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited April 12, 2004 in Landscapes
So ive sat alllll day waiting for the %$#'s to arrive with a replacement telly...they were a no show...humunguswife recons she'd rather be Bin Laden than this mob when i get to 'em monday morn.

So i thought i needed a walk down to the marina...be it 400 yards...im like the bridesmaid & never the bride with the light.

The big black mast inthe back belongs to 'Wild Thing'...pretty famous boat round here. Mate of mine was at the wheel when it was almost taken out by a massive sea spout a few years back in a Sydney to Hobart.

3231629-M.jpg

Old WWII drydock with units built out over it.

3231631-M.jpg

Finally found a ray of light

3231630-M.jpg

dont be doin' acid !

3231632-M.jpg

Long way from home...big trip for a little boat.

3231633-M.jpg

winter is here....

3231634-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    'Twas only a little powerboat, a 16' 1969 Chrysler Hydro-vee, but O! how I loved my little boat, with her little 70hp Johnson o/b.. Going out onto San Diego bay on a Tuesday night, you'd be sure to have the whole place to yourself.

On another note, I have an (online) friend in New Jersey who runs a boatyard, they mostly work on working vessels (oyster/crabbing and the like). He says that "real boats" don't have anything made of fiberglass on or in 'em. I say "Pf!"
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    Well its 7.30 pm & the new telly just arrived. That was close....thought i was going to have to make conversation for the rest of the night.

A '69 chrysler 'eh Sm...man what a collectors item for the boating insane. I had a 38' steel river trawler that we lived on for a few years. It was know locally as ' that grey ugly thing that the bikies hang out on'

God i miss that boat as well...nothing like eatin' your ice cream after dinner sitting up on the bow watching the river.
  • Options
    peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    Do jetski's count??? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Well its 7.30 pm & the new telly just arrived. That was close....thought i was going to have to make conversation for the rest of the night.

A '69 chrysler 'eh Sm...man what a collectors item for the boating insane. I had a 38' steel river trawler that we lived on for a few years. It was know locally as ' that grey ugly thing that the bikies hang out on'

God i miss that boat as well...nothing like eatin' your ice cream after dinner sitting up on the bow watching the river.
    Got any pics of her?
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    Jebus mate im here for 5 minsheadscratch.gif thinking ...the bloke wants to see my telly !!

I have some pics that i have to scan...she wasnt what you'd over hear from a tourist bus..."oh look at that pretty boat there" Made mostly from old power transmission line towers & the same colour. 400 ci pommie leyland (perkins sort of) Love pommie diesels,if you could crank her...you could start her... with a 2" prop shaft...carried 1 ton fresh water...6'5" head room...gas stove/shower...traditional trawler toilet (straight through pipe) Queen size bed in the aft & two 7' v-berths. Only used 7 gallons of diesel/Hr at about 7 knotts.

Hell we had some good times out on the bay in her....but was she a good looker ?????

Uglier than a robbers dog mate thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    I have though...just seen the most amazing bloody thing ever. Im sitting out on the balcony...its about 75f, not a cloud in the sky 9.15 pm when along comes this cloud going in the wrong direction totally & moving faster than i have ever seen a cloud move....very low as well, just above the buildings

Now sit down cause here is the spin...its shaped just like the space shutle !!!!!!!
    I got a pic of it but it had changed shape a bit...will show you if you like.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    Humungus wrote:

Oh... that sounds just perfect to me Humy... I always wanted to live on a boat, may yet if things keep going down the way they are.
    :D
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    Lyn...do you know what B O A T stands for ?

'better organize another thousand'
  • Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    Oh yes, a watery grave for your money. But, ya know what? I still LOVE boating. Get sicker'n a dog out on anything resembling ocean (thank the gods for Transderm patch! It was the only way I could scuba, too), but I do, generally, love it. Love fishin' too.

One of my uncles, lives in New Orleans, has a boat repair business. My father says Uncle Ronnie has one of these flatbottom aluminum skiffs with an auto transmission that he takes out on the bayous, says it doesn't even need water to go! When they hit a dry patch, he just drops it into first, guns it, and damned of the prop doesn't push her along.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Lyn...do you know what B O A T stands for ?

'better organize another thousand'
    Yeah... we've owned a couple... and SOLD them thank goodness. I love boats until I'm out on a big rolling sea with a nasty chop and a dark ominous sky... then I HATE BOATS...

this a police boat going out in Rye NH
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited April 4, 2004
    A family out for a row on the lake.

3267545-M.jpg
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    The big black mast inthe back belongs to 'Wild Thing'...pretty famous boat round here. Mate of mine was at the wheel when it was almost taken out by a massive sea spout a few years back in a Sydney to Hobart.
    I've seen video of the waterspout, and of the boat that was overturned by it during the race. Same boat?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    No boats were OT'd by it...wild thing copped a torn sail that threw her chance at line honours...she was pretty well favorite.

Have a look at the size if it !!
  • Options
    Rolling StoneRolling Stone Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2004
    1610242-O.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    No boats were OT'd by it...wild thing copped a torn sail that threw her chance at line honours...she was pretty well favorite.

Have a look at the size if it !!

Yeah, that looks like the same one. Amazing video!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, that looks like the same one. Amazing video!
    HOWS MY LUCK !!! Just walked outside & here she is heading out...all 83 foot of her. Not a good photo at all but she is there.

3296950-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    That's a cool boat.
    Sid.
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2004
    Newburyport, MASS

3360456-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2004
    Gloucester, MASS

3360460-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2004
    Another Gloucester shot...

3360462-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2004
    Cape Cod Canal

2493832-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2004
    Camden, Maine

848120-O.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2004
    I was out for a cruise on Lake Alamoosook near Bucksport, ME. This shot came to mind.

845779-O.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2004
    Knob Creek
    226868-O-1.jpg
  • Options
    jdellisjdellis Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2004
    Here's some "big boat" flavor:

791126-M-1.jpg

The U.S.S. North Carolina, which is on display in Wilmington, NC. Looking back from the front of the deck with downtown in the background. Very neat to tour, as they've opened up much more of the ship since I first visited as a tyke back 20 yrs or so ago.

Pic links to the smugmug album.

-jde
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2004
    Fairfield Lake, NC

226908-O-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2004
    Oh, boy, that battleship makes me have to break out an old shot of mine, a version of which has already seen by many of you.

68456-M-1.jpg

The shots of Gloucester remind me of another marine story. That's where the boat ported that was lost in "The Perfect Storm." Those folks have a rough, dangerous life.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2004
    Fairfield Lake

226915-O-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    The shots of Gloucester remind me of another marine story. That's where the boat ported that was lost in "The Perfect Storm." Those folks have a rough, dangerous life.
    Yup, they do risk their lives....just to put fishsticks in our freezer. Gloucester is about 20 min from me. Lots of good places to shoot out there on Cape Ann. Halibut Point is another great place to shoot.

-Doug
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Yup, they do risk their lives....just to put fishsticks in our freezer. Gloucester is about 20 min from me. Lots of good places to shoot out there on Cape Ann. Halibut Point is another great place to shoot.

-Doug

I should think that when the boats are in port, there would be many fine shooting opportunities, in all kinds of weather. I'm thinking depth of field changes, pattern shots, shots of working boats that are able to tell a story... lots of great stuff.

Now I gotta go find me a port!
    Sid.