Options

Key Words

2»

Comments

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Will my family be able to search by keyword for private galleries, too?

If not, what's the best way to keep galleries private and still allow my family to search across multiple galleries to find the shot they want?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and we really do like to please our customers, but I'm afraid this just isn't going to happen.

I never say never, but this raises just too many privacy and security issues, not to mention engineering problems, that I really doubt it'll ever happen.

Just as browsing through your galleries when they're private doesn't work for non-logged in people, keywords won't either.

I'm sorry. :(

Don
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, and we really do like to please our customers, but I'm afraid this just isn't going to happen.

I never say never, but this raises just too many privacy and security issues, not to mention engineering problems, that I really doubt it'll ever happen.

Just as browsing through your galleries when they're private doesn't work for non-logged in people, keywords won't either.

Don

I should follow this up by saying that we're continually working on search, and in fact I have a fairly big change planned (which is a big change for me, but customers probably won't notice the difference).

It's remotely possible that I could make *searching* work for private galleries somehow, but not keyword browsing.

If I were to do so, how would you suggest that I "discover" who to let see your private searches and who not to? That's probably the biggest issue right off the bat.

Obviously, you don't want Joe Schmoe finding your private galleries, or you wouldn't have marked them private. But also obviously, you don't want everyone to have to buy a smugmug login to search through your private galleries. (That wouldn't be tough, if they had logins). But how do I identify your "allowed" people without allowing the whole world in?

Don
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    Not that I have a big take on this
    onethumb wrote:
    But how do I identify your "allowed" people without allowing the whole world in?
    Don
    .. but didn't you already introduce "family & friends" concept? In C++ "friends" are privy to the most private parts:-). So when it comes to identification, I think you can rely on proximity settings the user set himself..

Although, I must say, IRL private should be private. If I want to share something I'll let the person know. Private should mean for "my eyes only"..
    Or, should I say: introduce "protected" - and then let "family and firends" get ahold of it:-)
    Just my $.02, nothing else:-)

PS
    With all that new stuff, is there any chance the apostophe issue (createAlbum, Description, ', screate error) can get addressed any time soon?

Thanks!

PPS
    "24" rulez!
    4th season started - and it's GOOOOOOOOOD!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    .. but didn't you already introduce "family & friends" concept? In C++ "friends" are privy to the most private parts:-). So when it comes to identification, I think you can rely on proximity settings the user set himself..

But "friends & family" is other smugmug users. I think it's pretty rare for someone's entire scope of family and friends to be using smugmug. I assume that's not what's being asked for here, that there's a need for people to search within private galleries without having a smugmug login.

Or am I wrong?

Don
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    Google and key words
    Just as a matter of interest.. I've been paying more attention to key words in my photographs on Smugmug and also in the body of the text in my cobranding (I put some words in "comments" which don't show but search engines may pick up) ... just for laughs I typed in "photographs of forest and ponds" in google and I came up number one.. also with my name also came up with different searched in MSN.. I was impressed... (not that it makes a difference, my son's the only one who is forced to buy anything)rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2005
    No, I don't think so..
    onethumb wrote:
    But "friends & family" is other smugmug users. I think it's pretty rare for someone's entire scope of family and friends to be using smugmug. I assume that's not what's being asked for here, that there's a need for people to search within private galleries without having a smugmug login.

Or am I wrong?

Don
    I personally can't imagine the situation when an owner made something private and at the same time would like to make it searchable for the entire internet.
    Yet again, I don't have a burning need for this type of changes, current situation suits me well enough, and I'd rather see all the other features completed first - including API updates and fixes:D

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2005
    Keywords questions
    What is the relation between gallery keywords, image keywords and search engines?
    Do gallery keywords work in a manner as if they were typed in for each image?
    Are gallery and image keywords only searchable by SM itself, or do they make sense for the external crawlers, too?

Thank you!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

Or am I wrong?

Don

Not sure the best way to solve it, but maybe you could make a free registration available for this purpose?

I make the passwords on the galleries that I've bothered to make private all the same, as well. Maybe a search private galleries feature, where they have to enter the password that I've given them.

I really just want to be able to share my photos with my family and not the world. That's what it comes down to.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2005
    David
    DavidTO wrote:
    I really just want to be able to share my photos with my family and not the world. That's what it comes down to.
    Isn't it what "sharegroups" were designed for? I never used them myself, but it looks like they were designed for this purpose.. Did you try them?

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    thank you every one.. and yes it's clear as mud can be.. lolrolleyes1.gif
    I somehow merged these threads incorrectly.. pardonay moi... I"ll leave it now.. it'll only get worse if I mess more rolleyes1.gif Sid?
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    Awesome stuff guys, THANKS thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2005
    There has to be an answer.
    onethumb wrote:

Don

So I decided to try sharegroups, but that doesn't protect my photos from prying eyes, I did a search on my daughter's name and her picture, which is only in sharegroups, came up. I thought that sharegroups only allowed "cookied" computers to access the contents of the gallery.

Private galleries don't work, because there's no way for my family to search across galleries.

But there must be someway to get this to work so that I can share my photos openly and easily with family, but not with the greater world.

Help!

EDIT: Must be that I don't understand sharegroups, because I've checked on several computers to make sure that cookies weren't an issue, and all of my sharegrouped galleries show up on my homepage. Huh?

EDIT again: Boy, I'm a pain in the butt, huh? I got password protected and private confuse. I think I'm gonna figure this out yet!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    OK, so I'm getting there. Got some keywords in some private galleries, a sharegroup setup, it's working fine, except for one thing:

When my family goes to my sharegroup, and then searches for my daughter's name, the search goes out to all of smugmug. Wouldn't it make sense to limit the search to whithin the sharegroup when they're in that sharegroup? Why would they be in the sharegroup in the first place if they wanted to search the entire site? If this can get fixed, or if there is a setting that can fix it, then I'll be all set.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    OK, so I'm getting there. Got some keywords in some private galleries, a sharegroup setup, it's working fine, except for one thing:

When my family goes to my sharegroup, and then searches for my daughter's name, the search goes out to all of smugmug. Wouldn't it make sense to limit the search to whithin the sharegroup when they're in that sharegroup? Why would they be in the sharegroup in the first place if they wanted to search the entire site? If this can get fixed, or if there is a setting that can fix it, then I'll be all set.

Sorry, David, but I'm afraid if a gallery is marked 'Private' or has a password assigned, searching just won't work.

I'm glad sharegroups is working for you, and I'll give some thought to if there's a possibility to allow searching within a sharegroup (it sounds possible, but no promises). But today, you cannot do it.

Wish I had better news, but we're pretty paranoid about privacy and security around here, and anything like searching within secure or private galleries is not something we take lightly.

Don
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    I should note, we've had IPTC support for years. Almost since our inception. We've been populating keywords the entire time, and feeding our search. Browsing them, and editing them, though, is new.

'Caption' and 'Keywords' are IPTC fields we check on every upload.

Don

Are those the only IPTC fields you check? I use iView Media Pro, and the fields I use are non-standard, iView specific. I could easily change this, but never really had reason to before. I'd just like to know the full extent of your IPTC support.

Also, on the topic of searching private galleries from within a sharegroup, couldnt' this be handled in part by adding a search field to the sharegroup view that is separate from the main search field? One that is limited to the sharegroup? Probably, huh? You're gonna tell me manhours/priority again, I bet. Ah, well. I understand.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    I'll second that! Exactly what I'm looking for.bowdown.gif At least I can dream can't I?
    AL
    DavidTO wrote:
    Also, on the topic of searching private galleries from within a sharegroup, couldnt' this be handled in part by adding a search field to the sharegroup view that is separate from the main search field? One that is limited to the sharegroup? Probably, huh? You're gonna tell me manhours/priority again, I bet. Ah, well. I understand.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    MonkMonk Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 20, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Wish I had better news, but we're pretty paranoid about privacy and security around here, and anything like searching within secure or private galleries is not something we take lightly.

Don
    Don -
    It looks for me that you are trying "to invent a bike" (Nikolai, is it correct?) :) - but bike is already invented. It is a role management.
    I would like to create roles like "owner", "family", "friend", "coworker" and so on, assign a pasword for each role and then set which role can see which galery.
    So, when a person enter "coworker" password he can see only galeries which is visiblw for coworkers, search and keywords works only for that galeries and so on...
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Monk wrote:
    Don -
    It looks for me that you are trying "to invent a bike" (Nikolai, is it correct?) :) - but bike is already invented. It is a role management.
    I would like to create roles like "owner", "family", "friend", "coworker" and so on, assign a pasword for each role and then set which role can see which galery.
    So, when a person enter "coworker" password he can see only galeries which is visiblw for coworkers, search and keywords works only for that galeries and so on...

Hi Monk,

Thanks for the feedback, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid this just won't work. It violates our Prime Directive which is to be Easy.

Adding role-level complexity will just confuse most of our customers and doesn't buy us enough good stuff to override our constant struggle to keep the site easy to use.

Don
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Bike inventions:-)
    Monk wrote:
    ..."to invent a bike" (Nikolai, is it correct?) :)...
    Hi Monk,
    If you're looking for word-by-word translation from Russian, then you're 100% correct:-).
    However, it is a Russian idiom and as such it's gotta be translated as a proper English idiom, which happens to be "to reinvent the wheel":-)

Cheers!1drink.gif