Options

Canon 50D in the wild

124»

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Got mine yesterday. I downloaded the LR 2 Beta & DPP 3.5 on a PC laptop to take with me to process when in Moab. Oh and I charged the battery! thumb.gif

Congratulations.thumb.gif Keep us posted on your impressions.
  • Options
    SunilDVRSunilDVR Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 4, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sunil, dude, I only had it for half a day mwink.gif and a rather busy day at that.

However, considering even those meager samples I posted, I'd say 50D's low light performance is exceptional, and this is exactly concert (or theatre) situation. Yes, there is noise at 12,800 - but that's 12,800! eek7.gif With 40D you'll get as much at 3,200 deal.gif

All in all, improved speed (Digic4), extremely useful LiveView, much better low light performance, 50% increase in resolution and a finer screen/menus is definitely "yes for upgrade" for me.

I hope to come out with more samples after tonight.

HTH

Hi Nikolai,

Thanks for your comments. I'm kind of itching after a 50D now...

... I just have to somehow find an extra £390 to add to the insurance replacement vouchers... gulp!

Sunil
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    50 50 50
    50D with a 50mm f/1.2 on board

392743410_jVAF8-XL.jpg

Original

50D with a 50mm macro on board

392554163_veWAt-XL.jpg
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited October 13, 2008
    Andy,

Looks to be working well for you. Looking forward to more. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Error 99
    OK, I'm at the Phoenix, AZ airport waiting for my flight back home. Shot several thousand frames with 50D during the shootout (and pre-shootout). Everything seems to be working fine, EXCEPT the dreaded "Error 99". There was hardly a day I went without it. Yes, I was changing lenses like crazy, and it was dusty environment. However, since 2005 I had 20D, 2x30D, 2x40D - I never experienced that problem, and I did change lenses before and I was to a very nasty places, like Upper Antelope canyon, where it poures dust. Yes, disconnecting battery (or the whole grip in my case) was the instant remedy, but having it every day, sometime several times in a row, was hardly a pleasure.
    Maybe I got a bad copy. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited October 14, 2008
    Nik, are all your lenses Canon? My 40D doesn't like when the Tammy 28-75 is removed or installed (camera either ON or OFF).
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Nik, are all your lenses Canon? My 40D doesn't like when the Tammy 28-75 is removed or installed (camera either ON or OFF).
    All Canon, 100%.
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Andy,

Great photos, especially the detail of the sunflower and the cobweb between the two petals. What did you have the ISO set on for this shot?
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Got mine yesterday. I downloaded the LR 2 Beta & DPP 3.5 on a PC laptop to take with me to process when in Moab. Oh and I charged the battery! thumb.gif

I shot mine for about 600 images with Nik on the Shootout with no Err99. But I did not use it with a grip, so I'm not sure if that was the cause. We probably would have tested that hypothesis if we had thought about it. rolleyes1.gif Only Canon lenses: 24-70 f/2.8, 20-200 f/2.8 IS, 300 f/4 IS and 100 f/2.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Andy,

Great photos, especially the detail of the sunflower and the cobweb between the two petals. What did you have the ISO set on for this shot?
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I shot mine for about 600 images with Nik on the Shootout with no Err99. But I did not use it with a grip, so I'm not sure if that was the cause. We probably would have tested that hypothesis if we had thought about it. rolleyes1.gif Only Canon lenses: 24-70 f/2.8, 20-200 f/2.8 IS, 300 f/4 IS and 100 f/2.
    I'm having mine replaced, should have it here on 20th. Will report in a couple of weeks to see if the grip/batteries was the culprit. If so, prolly will have to upgrade it to a newer version... I've also ordered extra Canon batteries since the knock-offs are clearly do not work as well...
  • Options
    SunilDVRSunilDVR Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 22, 2008
    Bumping this up a little... (rather than hijacking someone else's 50D thread or creating yet another one!)

I got my 50D yesterday evening, and spent several hours playing with it - nothing spectacular, just getting used to the new options (and setting it up to work like my 20D - joystick multi-controller to select AF point, thank you very much.....)

Initial thoughts: RAW mode, my 2GB memory cards are suddenly very small... these files are huge! Oooh, pretty screen on the back. Mhm, my menu - already set up for mirror lockup!

I've not used it properly yet though - I spent all day today working on job applications! headscratch.gif I am definitely looking forward to getting out and about with it!

Thanks to everyone who posted reviews, information, etc., especially Andy and Nikolai. My bank balance doesn't thank you... but I do :D

Sunil
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    SunilDVR wrote:
    I got my 50D yesterday evening,
    Sunil, welcome to the club! thumb.gif And big congrats!clap.gif Comparing to 20D this must be quite a step-up mwink.gif
    Here's my User Menu just in case:
    1. Format
    2. AEB
    3. Mirror lockup
    4. Sensor cleanup
    5. High ISO noise removal
      (I'm still deciding about replacing it with Highlights optimization though)
    HTH
  • Options
    jovittajovitta Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    its been about 3 weeks w/ 50D
    Got my 50d about 3 weeks ago taken several photos, and over 1000 photos in a two day period never had any problem w/ the err99. although I just updated the firmware yesterday to 1.0.3 from 1.0.1 I must be one of the lucky ones. The camera has been in great working order so far. Knock on wood Jovitta.
    BE YOURSELF FRIENDS WILL LIKE YOU FOR YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND STYLE
    http://jeffovittphotography.com
    Member; NANPA
    Equipment: Canon 5D, 1DS, 16-35 F2.8, 70-200 F4, 580EX Flash, Galen Rowell GND filters, Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter, Lee filter holder,Gitzo 2227 tripod & monfotto 3221 tripod, Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead,
    Epson 3880 pro pinter, CS5, Nik software complete edition, Photomatix.