Options

Edit Geography Bulk?

Comments

• Options
    macaddictmacaddict Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    Batch Geotagging Update?
    Any word on batch updating the geotags? I see this was planned to be a feature last year.

I just went through adding data to one photo - in Korea, it doesn't take you to an address, so there is a need to just get it in the "ballpark." The 105 photos I just loaded from our vacation would be a great geotagging project, but I don't want to do each photo individually!

Thanks!
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    Bump.

Malte
  • Options
    garyjwoodgaryjwood Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    Possible solution BEFORE uploading
    Picasa 2.5 can batch geotag (even entire folders) using Google Earth. Both are free downloads.
    - Gary
    Galleries: http://garyjwood.smugmug.com
    Photo of the Day: http://blog.garyjwood.com
    Location-enabled and interactive!
  • Options
    garyjwood wrote:
    Picasa 2.5 can batch geotag (even entire folders) using Google Earth. Both are free downloads.

Thanks Gary but I'm thinking of the pictures I already have on SM.

Malte
  • Options
    gilbertgilbert Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2006
    Any news on this feature?
    Hi guys...I am just starting to put up a sample gallery and have noticed how frustrating it is to photo tools > edit geography for EACH photo...also does not remember location which would be a slight bit useful if you still have to go one-by-one...

Any idea if this feature is coming...and when?

Thanks
  • Options
    docneshdocnesh Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2006
    Assigning a location to a gallery instead of a photo?
    Sorry, I was trying to sift through this thread, I hope there is some way to do this, I want to assign a location to a Gallery of pictures and not just to individual photogrpahs. For exampe, I want my alaskan photos to point to alaska and my carribean photos to reflect the Bahamas etc....

To be honest tagging long/lat info on a per picture basis is pretty useless unless you have GPS capability on your camera... Does anyone know of any third party apps that would allow me to fill the coordinates in the EXIF information automatically? Then I could just re-upload the pictures to smugmug if need be.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Putting in the location information for every picture gets old fast! Will there ever be a way to do it in bulk, like when adding keywords...etc?
  • Options
    garyjwoodgaryjwood Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    docnesh wrote:
    ... Does anyone know of any third party apps that would allow me to fill the coordinates in the EXIF information automatically? Then I could just re-upload the pictures to smugmug if need be.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.

I know of three effective solutions; there may be more. The first two are free, the third is from a smugmug business partner.

1. The WWMX utilities from Microsoft Research (a free download from http://wwmx.org) let you geotag photos from a GPS tracklog or by dropping them onto a Microsoft MapPoint Web Service map. The EXIF tags are updated automatically.

2. The new Picasa 2.5 lets you geotag photos with Google Earth. Both are free downloads. You then have to "save" or "export" the photos to update the EXIF tags.

3. The Photo Organizer in Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 lets you geotag photos by dropping them onto a Yahoo map (which sucks outside the USA). You can then upload them automatically to smugmug.
    - Gary
    Galleries: http://garyjwood.smugmug.com
    Photo of the Day: http://blog.garyjwood.com
    Location-enabled and interactive!
  • Options
    avekevinavekevin Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    So there could be a confusion here:

"Bulk Geography" has been mentioned in several posts. One thing I wouldn't want is to apply the same lat/long to 25 pics in a gallery -- all of the pushpins on the map would be on top of one another!

Just clarifying one point....

I don't know if this request has gone anywhere, but it would be nice if there was an option to associate either individual pictures OR a gallery to locations. Since galleries often are associated with a single event or local, a single marker is sufficient.

Kevin
  • Options
    jrcadejrcade Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Completely agree with Kevin in this one...many times you have a multitude of photos from the same location and would want to associate all of those shots with one lat/lon point. And it would be great if we could somehow add those points in bulk to all of the photos desired.

Looking forward this type of feature on SM!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    jrcade wrote:
    Completely agree with Kevin in this one...many times you have a multitude of photos from the same location and would want to associate all of those shots with one lat/lon point. And it would be great if we could somehow add those points in bulk to all of the photos desired.

Looking forward this type of feature on SM!
    Be carefull what you ask for, there is currently a 150 picture limit in the map
    feature. I think a better way would be to just geotag the featured photo of
    each gallery. That photo should provide the interest to go to the gallery to
    see more. This way from the "map this" button on your homepage all galleries,
    up to 150, would be represented.

Just my $.02
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    I've already uploaded all my photographs too... And after reading this thread I too think geotagging for GALLERIES would be a valid solution... Give them their own pin... Perhaps a different colour - although possibly unnecessarily confusing for visitors?

I have more than enough galleries to geotag... So geotagging individual photos is unfeasible really...

If GALLERY geotags were introduced, I'd like to see that the photos inside a geotagged gallery, when viewed from a search or keyword gallery, would have an option to show where on the map the photo was taken - even if it wasn't the exact spot because it only had a gallery geotag and not a photo geotag...

For my purposes, precision isn't critical...
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2006
    individual photo mapping/private gallery restrictions
    I have been using a Picasa 2.5/Google Earth combo to geotag all of my photos in preparation for use on SM and within SM's "Map This" feature, which I think is very nice and will grow into the future as a commonplace feature.

Two things in regards to this feature:

1) I feel that it is important to have a way to geotag any photo you want and as many as you want (Allen, where did the 150-photo limitation come from...did not see it on SM help anywhere) - not just galleries - because there are galleries you may have that have several photos in different locales. Just makes sense to me. A good example would be a gallery of photos from a trip to a few states - I'd want all those photos in the same gallery but, obviously, geotagged in the different spots I took them along the way.

2) Can someone explain the restriction which is in place regarding the "Map This" feature in password-protected and private galleries? Would just like to know why that is? In my case (and I'm sure for many other users as well), my password-protected galleries are ones that would generally have more photos (extending beyond my public galleries) that I'd want my family/friends to be able to locate in Google Earth. It's very disappointing that I can't have this feature enabled for those galleries for that purpose. I've never known Google to restrict folks on doing much of anything that makes sense and I would think this ability would do just that. ne_nau.gif

Thanks for any insight!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    jrcade wrote:
    2) Can someone explain the restriction which is in place regarding the "Map This" feature in password-protected and private galleries? Would just like to know why that is?

http://www.smugmug.com/help/maps
    Gotcha: We cannot provide mapping for private and password-protected galleries without violating the terms of use of Google Maps.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Thanks, Andy...I had seen that text about the restriction, but what are the details of their policy? Just kinda weird to me that you would be able to do that in public galleries and not private...ultimately, they would get more users/click-throughs to Google Earth if it were allowed in protected galleries as well. Is it a technical policy/issue?

Thanks...
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    If you're a power user or pro, then it's probably possible to fake gallery geo-tagging by creating a new gallery just containing copies of the featured image for each of the galleries. When the images are clicked on, a javascript function could detect the image URL and redirect the browser to the relevant gallery.

I use a similar scheme to create gallery redirects (search dgrin for the code), based on the "vanity URL" script.
  • Options
    HannyHanny Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hey all... first post here. Got a question about the Google Maps feature. I have nothing but private galleries. So none of my geo tags should show up on the map. But some do. And some don't. I don't understand why.

Anyone know why only some of the tags show up (when they probably all shouldn't. Or should?) (edit: I only have about 10 tags showing. Definitely not near the 150 limit.)

On another note... WOW, am I blown away by SmugMug. Easily one of my favorite sites ever! I do nothing but sing its praises to my friends stuck using other sites. SM keeps your originals, no ads, nearly unlimited uploads and viewing and storage, etc etc etc etc... bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif You guys have a user for life here! Makes me want to get more into photography! (Which brings up another question I'll post elsewhere -- recommending a good digi cam that doesn't give a ton of red eye like my pain in the a-- Sony T9.)

Thanks again for the help on the maps question, and for a great, great service!!!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Hanny wrote:
    Hey all... first post here. Got a question about the Google Maps feature. I have nothing but private galleries. So none of my geo tags should show up on the map. But some do. And some don't. I don't understand why.

Anyone know why only some of the tags show up (when they probably all shouldn't. Or should?) (edit: I only have about 10 tags showing. Definitely not near the 150 limit.)

On another note... WOW, am I blown away by SmugMug. Easily one of my favorite sites ever! I do nothing but sing its praises to my friends stuck using other sites. SM keeps your originals, no ads, nearly unlimited uploads and viewing and storage, etc etc etc etc... bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif You guys have a user for life here! Makes me want to get more into photography! (Which brings up another question I'll post elsewhere -- recommending a good digi cam that doesn't give a ton of red eye like my pain in the a-- Sony T9.)

Thanks again for the help on the maps question, and for a great, great service!!!
    Hi, and thanks for the kind words. You must have some photos public? Or did have? That would explain it.
  • Options
    HannyHanny Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, and thanks for the kind words. You must have some photos public? Or did have? That would explain it.

I used "SendToSmugMug" to upload them to a new, private album. Tags showed up on the map without me changing the private flag.

I then added lat/long tags to photos in two older, private albums, and one showed up. The other didn't.

I tried making all the albums public (which made them all pop up on the map) then private again. And only those few or so from before stayed on the map.

Weird, right? Eh, it's not that big of a deal, really. Just a curiosity.
  • Options
    chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Update?
    Any update on this feature? Anyone know of a tool that uses the Smugmug API to update lat/long for all photos in a gallery? I have a ton of images that I've uploaded in the past that I now finally have the coords for after munging all the geo data.
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Be carefull what you ask for, there is currently a 150 picture limit in the map
    feature. I think a better way would be to just geotag the featured photo of
    each gallery. That photo should provide the interest to go to the gallery to
    see more. This way from the "map this" button on your homepage all galleries,
    up to 150, would be represented.

Just my $.02
    Al

Each photo doesn't neccessarily have to generate one pin on the map, that can be restricted to one pin per containing gallery. If the gallery should contain photos with different geotags a median value can be generated. This could be useful if you have many photos from e.g. a city where all photos have individual geotags and the gallery would get an approximate tag for the city.

Malte
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    Malte wrote:
    Each photo doesn't neccessarily have to generate one pin on the map, that can be restricted to one pin per containing gallery. If the gallery should contain photos with different geotags a median value can be generated. This could be useful if you have many photos from e.g. a city where all photos have individual geotags and the gallery would get an approximate tag for the city.

Malte

Sounds like it could be dangerous... But I like the principal! I think that perhaps we should be given a choice on how we'd like to use the geo-tagging... Make it switchable in the control panel... [1] Galleries are Geo-tagged, individual photos are not... The Gallery feature photo is used on the map... [2] Individual photos are Geo-tagged... Something alone those lines...

I know I'd go for tagging Galleries myself... Because [a] that's how I organise my photos anyway... And , because I'm not interested in being too precise with my Geo-tagging - not until I get a DSLR with inbuilt GPS!
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    f/2.8 lenses
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    Bump...? :hide
  • Options
    pjppjp Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    Malte wrote:
    Bump...? :hide
    Another bump. I'd be fine tagging a gallery at a time.

I'm also curious about the reason for the limit of 150 displayed on the map. Is that just a practical consideration?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    pjp wrote:
    Another bump. I'd be fine tagging a gallery at a time.

I'm also curious about the reason for the limit of 150 displayed on the map. Is that just a practical consideration?
    150's been there from go. I try to tag only a representative photo from each
    gallery otherwise a new gallery could overload the map and not be
    representative of your site.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ChibiPhotographyChibiPhotography Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    How soon?
    {JT} wrote:
    This will be coming soon.

Any update on how soon bulk geotagging will be implemented?
    Doug Pearson
    Chibi Photography
    pix.chibiphotography.com
  • Options
    shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    Hi Andy,

From what I've read, it appears that there has been no implementation of a "bulk" geo-tag feature yet that addresses all the issues.

I have a suggestion that I think may work well. I agree with you that it would be silly to clutter a space with a large number of drop pins. To reduce this clutter, what if it was possible to have one pin per gallery, and then when the pin is clicked on, a thumbnail appears as it does in the current version. But rather than just showing a single image, the box has simple arrows back and forwards to allow you to preview thumbnails from the rest of the gallery. Ideally, if nothing was clicked, it would just play your entire gallery as a slideshow within the thumbnail.

This way, as John has also suggested, it only takes one drop pin to feature each gallery, but within that drop-pin, viewers can preview the entire gallery via the thumbnails. Obviously, clicking on the individual thumbnail would lead them directly to that photo in the gallery.

Does this sound like a viable option?

Thanks,

Nelson
    Andy wrote:
    So there could be a confusion here:

"Bulk Geography" has been mentioned in several posts. One thing I wouldn't want is to apply the same lat/long to 25 pics in a gallery -- all of the pushpins on the map would be on top of one another!

Just clarifying one point....
  • Options
    MrChristopherMrChristopher Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    I'd like to throw my name in the hat for a bulk geotagging feature. In response to the comments about multiple photos against one pin; I had my camera set up on a tripod and took a out 89 photos so that would actually make sense for me.
    http://dexterfriedkin.smugmug.com/ - A work in progress. Hopefully someday it'll be filled with many great pictures instead of a couple of good ones.
  • Options
    xylo04xylo04 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2009
    Bump. This feature request has been out for 4 years, apparently. How hard is this?

This seems like it would be very easy to implement a crude version of this. Basically it's just a copy of the Many Photos> caption/keyword page, but instead would have lat and long boxes. Still not perfect, but good enough for me. That would be much easier than going into each photo and entering the lat/long on one page per photo.

And some of the previous posts sound good too; assigning one lat/long to the entire gallery would save lots of time for very localized galleries.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    xylo04 wrote:
    Bump. This feature request has been out for 4 years, apparently. How hard is this?

And some of the previous posts sound good too; assigning one lat/long to the entire gallery would save lots of time for very localized galleries.
    Yeah, bring it on already... Seriously
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    f/2.8 lenses
  • Options
    mchkmchk Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Andy,
    I'm also curious as to why this is and whether anything has changed in the Google terms & conditions in the last few years? Clearly I do not know or need to know any agreements you have made with Google, but I do note that the standard terms and conditions state that " You may require users to log in to your Maps API Implementation if you do not require users to pay a fee.". This sounds like it should allow the use with password protected galleries as anyone with the password can access them without paying a fee.

Regards

Mike