Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    In typical IBM fashion, the computer was the IBM 5150. (1981 seems not that long ago). But in very non-typical IBM fashion, they decided to market it as the IBM Personal Computer, presumably because there were lots of other computers at IBM, most of the 'non-personal' variety. Of course, by then, there are lots of personal computers on the market, including Apple. (remember Timex, Ti-99/4A, TRS-80, Epson, etc etc) While I don't think that the name PC,was unique, the term PC took on a specific use, especially after such things as "PC Magazine" took off specifically to support the IBM PC. As Richard said, PC Compatible meant compatible with the 'IBM PC".
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Let's not even get into what "minicomputer" and "microcomputer" have traditionally meant... :D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 3, 2008
    Home network print issue
    I am having trouble getting a Macbook to recognize a printer on a Windows wireless LAN. The printer is physically connected to a Win2K machine, which I only use as a print server. Other XP and Vista machines have no problem using this printer, and the printer itself works fine when physically connected to the Macbook. But I want to be able to use the printer wirelessly. On the Mac, I try to add a new printer and click on the Windows button, but it does not see the workgroup. In fact, all three panes remain blank. IP connectivity through the router is just fine. Any hints?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I am having trouble getting a Macbook to recognize a printer on a Windows wireless LAN. The printer is physically connected to a Win2K machine, which I only use as a print server. Other XP and Vista machines have no problem using this printer, and the printer itself works fine when physically connected to the Macbook. But I want to be able to use the printer wirelessly. On the Mac, I try to add a new printer and click on the Windows button, but it does not see the workgroup. In fact, all three panes remain blank. IP connectivity through the router is just fine. Any hints?

Firewall? Dunno. I'll think on it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Firewall? Dunno. I'll think on it.

I don't think so, unless there's something in OS-X that I don't know about. OS-X isn't seeing the Windows workgroup.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Do you need to be running Bonjour on the Windows machine to advertise it? I had to do this on my home network as the Mac was not part of the Windows workgroup, so Windows locked it out.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    Do you need to be running Bonjour on the Windows machine to advertise it? I had to do this on my home network as the Mac was not part of the Windows workgroup, so Windows locked it out.

I can see the Mac in the workgroup on my Windows machines. Just as an experiment, I turned on file sharing on the Mac. I can see the Mac folders on the Windows machines. So it appears that the Mac is OK with being a server but doesn't like being a client. I must be missing something obvious. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    I had all sorts of trouble trying to do this, and eventually gave up and bought a wireless print server and eliminated all the sharing business altogether.

I found that the Mac finds windows services much better if you have a connection to the Windows machine in question first. So connect via smb to the Windows machine that is the printer, then try adding the printer.

(Finder> Go> Connect to server)
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    I had all sorts of trouble trying to do this, and eventually gave up and bought a wireless print server and eliminated all the sharing business altogether.

I found that the Mac finds windows services much better if you have a connection to the Windows machine in question first. So connect via smb to the Windows machine that is the printer, then try adding the printer.

(Finder> Go> Connect to server)
    Good suggestion, but it doesn't work. The Mac can't see any of the machines in the Windows workgroup. I tried connecting to the server by name and IP address and both failed. It just works, eh? :bash
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Good suggestion, but it doesn't work. The Mac can't see any of the machines in the Windows workgroup. I tried connecting to the server by name and IP address and both failed. It just works, eh? :bash

Any of this help?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Any of this help?

Thanks, David. I've tried a number of things that I found on Apple support groups, but so far no cigar. Since I can always just connect a goddam wire between the Macbook and printer when I need to, it is not really a big deal. At this point, I am just curious as to why it isn't working. In any event, I've had enough frustration for one day, so I'll take a look again tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Thanks, David. I've tried a number of things that I found on Apple support groups, but so far no cigar. Since I can always just connect a goddam wire between the Macbook and printer when I need to, it is not really a big deal. At this point, I am just curious as to why it isn't working. In any event, I've had enough frustration for one day, so I'll take a look again tomorrow.
    Finally got it working. :whew

I found some information on the Apple Support site about manually adding a Windows shared printer. Turns out that option is not available by default in the System Preferences-> Printer and Fax panel. You have to customize the toolbar to make it available. Once I could specify the printer directly--instead of having OS-X find it (or fail to)--it worked just fine.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Finally got it working. :whew

I found some information on the Apple Support site about manually adding a Windows shared printer. Turns out that option is not available by default in the System Preferences-> Printer and Fax panel. You have to customize the toolbar to make it available. Once I could specify the printer directly--instead of having OS-X find it (or fail to)--it worked just fine.

Yah. Support docs before discussions, usually. They're more helpful, for the most part, if they cover your question.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Gadget_GirlGadget_Girl Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    mac book or mac book pro?
    I'm buying a mac book wings.gifbut am having a very difficult time deciding if I need the pro or not. I would love to hear other opinions and suggestions as well as explanations why. I am also buying the 24"Cinema Display. If I go non pro I would be looking at 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, 320GB Drive.
    I have just moved from serious hobbiest to paid photographer.
    Currently I'm using a Dell Inspiron 6400 with Vista
    2GM Ram with 100GB drive
    500GB external drive
    CS3 & Lightroom

Thanks for the help,
    CL
    Cherie-Lynn
    SM Web Site
    SIS Web Site
    Blog
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50D- Canon EF 28mm 1.8, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Sigma DC 18-200mm OS
    Canon Speedlite 580 EXll X2, PocketWizaed Plusll x2
    Mac

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film. ~Author Unknown[/FONT]
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    I think the macbook pro is better as it has a better build, more workspace on the monitor, and its own dedicated graphics. But it costs more. :cry
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    I think the macbook pro is better as it has a better build, more workspace on the monitor, and its own dedicated graphics. But it costs more. :cry

I concur with Pepper here. The Pro is more rugged, but more importantly has the faster processor and the dedicated video ram. That will make a pretty big difference in render times on for your workflow. Also, having the larger monitor is nice for a dual screen set up. In the past I've had stands for my laptop that put it next to the monitor, it takes up a little bit of desk space, but I found it very useful. HTH
    Travis
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    I concur with Pepper here. The Pro is more rugged, but more importantly has the faster processor and the dedicated video ram. That will make a pretty big difference in render times on for your workflow. Also, having the larger monitor is nice for a dual screen set up. In the past I've had stands for my laptop that put it next to the monitor, it takes up a little bit of desk space, but I found it very useful. HTH

How is the Pro more rugged than the MacBook? They're both built with the same process, and the MacBook by nature of being smaller, is probably more rugged.

As far as VRAM improving render times... only if the app uses it ;-) Aperture uses the GPU, and Photoshop CS4 does, but Lightroom and CS3 are all CPU... they don't touch the GPU... ever. So more GPU will be exactly 0 faster with those apps.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    How is the Pro more rugged than the MacBook? They're both built with the same process, and the MacBook by nature of being smaller, is probably more rugged.
    IMHO aluminum > plastic YMMV
    CatOne wrote:
    As far as VRAM improving render times... only if the app uses it ;-) Aperture uses the GPU, and Photoshop CS4 does, but Lightroom and CS3 are all CPU... they don't touch the GPU... ever. So more GPU will be exactly 0 faster with those apps.

Don't forget applications like WoW :) those can be very important! rolleyes1.gif

All kidding aside, absolutely. It is application specific.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    IMHO aluminum > plastic YMMV

That is old, irrelevant news, my friend. They're both made by the same process out of a single hunk of aluminum. Really, really solid.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Are we talking the current gen or the previous ones?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Well color me out-of-date.

I'll go sit in my not-paying-attention corner again. (Someone I know bought a macbook that was plastic, and I swear it was recently, but in checking the calendar it turns out that was 8 months ago.)
    Travis
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Well color me out-of-date.

I'll go sit in my not-paying-attention corner again. (Someone I know bought a macbook that was plastic, and I swear it was recently, but in checking the calendar it turns out that was 8 months ago.)

Heheh. You're getting old. Time starts speeding up. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Gadget_GirlGadget_Girl Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    OK so thank you all for your input. I picked up my mac today and I bought.....the mac book. Seeing as I use an external monitor 95% of the time I figured I was OK with the loss scree space. The new generation mac book's also have a separate video chip and seeing as I'm only making slideshows this works for me. The pro has the same chip X2. As for the processor, I have the 2.4 which is the same a the basic pro. I feel that I did get what I needed without going overboard. So far I'm looking my new system. The only down side so far is that when I called Adobe to get my PC version of software switch to mac versions I need to pay for an upgrade because they aren't offering CS3 anymore- only CS4.
    thanks again,
    CL
    Cherie-Lynn
    SM Web Site
    SIS Web Site
    Blog
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50D- Canon EF 28mm 1.8, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Sigma DC 18-200mm OS
    Canon Speedlite 580 EXll X2, PocketWizaed Plusll x2
    Mac

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film. ~Author Unknown[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Congrats, Gadget_Girl!

Let us know if you need any help with the transition. After we're done bickering over the correct answer, we'll get you squared away! deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Switched to the Macbook Air - woah, can't believe I toted around 5.6lbs when I could have this instead! lol3.gif

I'm digging it, very, very much.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Switched to the Macbook Air - woah, can't believe I toted around 5.6lbs when I could have this instead! lol3.gif

What is going to happen to your other macbooks?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:

It's been great for me. I don't do "heavy processing" on the mobile anyway. Since the Air is so light I take it everywhere and get more use/joy out of it than I ever have any of my other more powerful (and heavy) laptops.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    What is going to happen to your other macbooks?
    I had a 15" MBP and it's now with a Smug Hero.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Switched to the Macbook Air ... I'm digging it, very, very much.
    Which model, Andy? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    Which model, Andy? ne_nau.gif

1.86ghz w/ 120gb SSD and 2gb RAM.