Options

Career advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    yoyoma wrote:
    Then everyone is convinced I don't REALLY get it. Well I REALLY REALLY get it.

Keep in mind that the majority of people choose to live their lives based on what they hear in the news.
    Yes, some people have it rough. Some are suffering through no fault of their own.
    The simple fact is, that not everyone is suffering. Some people are jumping up and down with joy during these so called tough times.
    Everything is cheaper today. Gas, houses, merchandise, everything. You can now buy homes at the correct values, versus the overinflated values of the past couple of years.

The market is what it is because most people chose to live beyond their means. Companies lived on borrowed credit, just like average people.
    A lot of people are scared that the world is ending because they hear this on the news, and believe it.

You can choose to live in this world, or you can choose to live in the world where people are still buying houses, mega yachts, million dollar cars, and the such.

This economy will weed out the weak, simple as that. There will be collateral damage for those who depend on jobs or homes of those who do not understand the way the economy works, and that is sad.

If you truly have the business sense to grow, you will prosper. Walmart is prospering in this so called worst economy ever. The oil companies are prospering also.

I was told about all the photographers in the San Fran area when I moved here. I don't care, because they are not my competition. If a thousand more move here next week, I do not care. They do not know what I know, and they do not know who I know.
    Are there photographers here in the area who are suffering? You bet. They do not understand business, and can't figure out why I am booking jobs for the fall of 09 and they can't find work for this week.

The most basic principle truth in business is this: The people that know how, work for the people who know why.

Do not let the doom and gloom crowd bother you. Let them live their lives however they choose. Keep in mind that the old saying misery loves company is true.
    Surround yourself with people who can see the opportunities available now. There are tons of them out there for those willing to go get them.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 19, 2008
    yoyoma wrote:
    ...Oh and angelo I'm sorry that I won't get that one single piece of advice from you that would have saved me. You go ahead and sit on it though.

Wow! You really are a bit of a smart-ass, aren't you? I actually have more than one piece of advice for you but one really important one is: "Careful who you piss off on the way up because you'll no doubt run into them again on your way back down"

Now having said that - I went back and read your original post and you're right, many jumped on the doom & gloom wagon without just answering your question.

I also checked out your site and found some nice stuff there.

Way back when I was your age, I jumped on a plane in NYC and headed to LA and while my circumstances then were different than yours now, I can relate to your story.

I live in the heart of Hollywood and am surrounded by pro photo labs, which are great places to make contacts:

http://www.ktimage.com/home
    http://www.argentum.com/2004/index.php
    http://www.imagexperts.com/
    http://www.iconla.com/
    http://www.aandi.com/

and the pro photog directory:

http://losangelesphoto.com/labs/index.asp

As for an affordable apartment: If you think you're going to find anything for $500, that isn't 50 miles out of the way and rat infested, you're wrong! But one of my assistants recently moved into the "Gaylord Apartments" an historic building in the center of LA called Wilshire Center. I was shocked to learn how reasonable the rents are (under 1000 for a large studio) and there's been an influx of really cool, younger, artsy people moving in (and it's rent-stabilized). If you PM me I'll give you a specific contact number and referral name.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=streetgaylordapartments-losangeles-ca-usa
  • Options
    Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Angelo, that was a classy move. Well done.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Ditto Angelo...

Rags
    Rags
  • Options
    aaronbrownaaronbrown Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    yoyoma wrote:
    I mentioned in the first post that I knew the economy was bad to try and stop people from freaking out at me.

Then everyone is convinced I don't REALLY get it. Well I REALLY REALLY get it.

Here is the truth... the absolute truth:
    At the very WORST, you'll die.
    At the very BEST, you'll fulfill all your desires.

Since you're going to die at some point anyway, why not try?

Although probabilities outweigh possibilities, when it comes to passion
    about your future, I say f probabilities. Follow your dream.

Hope you don't die, but rather fulfill all your desires!

Aaron
    http://www.aaronbrownphotos.com (being built)
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 20, 2008
    well, IMO, the lesson to be learned here is that we should learn to stay on topic when someone posts a question.

Did Jeff respond a bit in the defensive to some of the answers? Sure.

Did he ask opinions of the economy and the dire warnings of doom & gloom? No.

I think the ripples in the ocean have now smoothed out and we can resume with our regularly scheduled program. :D
  • Options
    Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Your timing may actually turn out to be great. If you can prove to the movers and shakers that you have the talent and desire (even in the bad times) you'll be one of the first ones they call when a spot opens up.

Do it while you can!
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    yoyoma wrote:
    How do you know this about me? It's not even true! You really sound like you want me to fail. I have visited LA, I have a filmmaking degree, and I have friends in the industry IN LA. I also have friends that will let me stay with them for free. What is your problem anyway?

Christ, I ask people for some advice on moving to LA, and they fall over themselves trying to prove that I'm never going to make it. Okay, so I will be dead in a ditch in 6 months due to lack of job availability and massive vanity. I'm going anyway.

Oh and angelo I'm sorry that I won't get that one single piece of advice from you that would have saved me. You go ahead and sit on it though.

Your attitude will be your downfall, not the economy. rolleyes1.gif
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Wachel wrote:
    Your attitude will be your downfall, not the economy. rolleyes1.gif

Sorry, but, my doom and gloom are real facts that are happening in the Los Angeles Business World. They aren't from the press - they are from the financial records of real businesses realated to the film and photography industry. Yesterday's unemployment figures are at 9%.

He doesn't mention much in the first threads except to say he's coming here to break into Photography or filmmaking. This town is full of "it's who you know" and I know a lot of people with balls and talent but that doesn't guarantee anything. The Hollywood Story is just that...I want to break into show business...The old story of every waiter is an actor between gigs. .and if you get the statistics from the Unions there are only a dismal number of people making livable wages. Most need to find part time jobs with flexible hours to survive. Why is that gloom and doom - it's what really goes on here.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Sorry, but, my doom and gloom are real facts that are happening in the Los Angeles Business World. They aren't from the press - they are from the financial records of real businesses realated to the film and photography industry. Yesterday's unemployment figures are at 9%.

He doesn't mention much in the first threads except to say he's coming here to break into Photography or filmmaking. This town is full of "it's who you know" and I know a lot of people with balls and talent but that doesn't guarantee anything. The Hollywood Story is just that...I want to break into show business...The old story of every waiter is an actor between gigs. .and if you get the statistics from the Unions there are only a dismal number of people making livable wages. Most need to find part time jobs with flexible hours to survive. Why is that gloom and doom - it's what really goes on here.

I was simply pointing out that he is being a jerk and that will bring him down. I also tend to think that the economy will make it hard for him to go to LA.

My opinion is that if he wants it badly enough and is willing to deal with hard times then he should go for it. Maybe he will make it big or maybe he will crash and burn. He will come home with his tail between his legs or he will come home in first class. Either way...what a cool story to tell his kids.

I never wish anyone ill will so good luck and all the best to you. Just don't be a jerk to people even if they might deserve it sometimes. :D
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    yoyomayoyoma Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Yesterday's unemployment figures are at 9%.

I believe my various skills put me in the top 91% of the work force. Do you think that's a stretch? And yeah, I may have to wait some tables. I've done it before.

Chatkat, the one thing you have given me is the one thing I explicitly asked people not to -- comments about the economy. If that's all you have for me, or for anyone, there is no need for you to post here. I do read the newspaper. It's kind of insulting that you think we are unaware of the things you are talking about.
    Wachel wrote:
    My opinion is that if he wants it badly enough and is willing to deal with hard times then he should go for it. Maybe he will make it big or maybe he will crash and burn. He will come home with his tail between his legs or he will come home in first class. Either way...what a cool story to tell his kids.

This is how I see it. Really, how could I not take a chance when the worst thing possible is that I will return home a little depressed? It's almost too risky not to take a risk at this point in my life.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    It did not only give you comments about the economy. I live here and I work in businesses who use photographers in a financial capacity. Your first comment that you could rent an apt for $500 alone tells me you haven't done your research. Whatever. I don't need to waste my time on your post. Just keep dreaming.

Your attitude is going to get you as far as you deserve to get.

yoyoma wrote:
    I believe my various skills put me in the top 91% of the work force. Do you think that's a stretch? And yeah, I may have to wait some tables. I've done it before.

Chatkat, the one thing you have given me is the one thing I explicitly asked people not to -- comments about the economy. If that's all you have for me, or for anyone, there is no need for you to post here. I do read the newspaper. It's kind of insulting that you think we are unaware of the things you are talking about.

This is how I see it. Really, how could I not take a chance when the worst thing possible is that I will return home a little depressed? It's almost too risky not to take a risk at this point in my life.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    yoyomayoyoma Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    It did not only give you comments about the economy. I live here and I work in businesses who use photographers in a financial capacity. Your first comment that you could rent an apt for $500 alone tells me you haven't done your research. Whatever. I don't need to waste my time on your post. Just keep dreaming.

Your attitude is going to get you as far as you deserve to get.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/roo/966379722.html

there is one for 550 in north hollywood. it was on the first page. it took me less than 2 minutes to find. there are many more than this. I will absolutely keep dreaming.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    yoyoma wrote:
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/roo/966379722.html

there is one for 550 in north hollywood. it was on the first page. it took me less than 2 minutes to find. there are many more than this. I will absolutely keep dreaming.

Not an apartment but a room rental in an industrial area in an area that is fairly run down
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    I know a successful photog in the LA area that may be looking for a production man/second shooter to help run his office.

I'll e-mail him your site and this thread.
    I do agree that your portfolio should have a bit more stuff.