Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    picomomentspicomoments Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2013
    Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but capital letters on the first words of sentences in your About page and other pages (and on gallery titles, including on peoples' names) might look a little more professional! eek7.gif

Thanks for the feedback, but that's my theme and style, it depicts simplicity and shows that I'm different and not sticking to the norms ;-)
  • Options
    jmunroejmunroe Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2013
    New Site
    I'd love any constructive criticism or feedback on my latest design. Also was curious if anyone had written an html code that would allow for onclick a new window to open. I notice when you place a single photo it doesn't allow for that option.

www.jmphotography.com

Thanks in advance - Justin
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2013
    jmunroe wrote: »
    I'd love any constructive criticism or feedback on my latest design. Also was curious if anyone had written an html code that would allow for onclick a new window to open. I notice when you place a single photo it doesn't allow for that option.

www.jmphotography.com

Thanks in advance - Justin

Looks nice! Went to your "The Gallery". Was expecting to see multiple galleries instead of the one overall set of images and comments. And then no way to click thru to get to the specific wedding gallery which must exist somewhere. Wondering how your clients or their friends can get to specific wedding for previews and purchase (by friends)?
  • Options
    Jeanne McRightJeanne McRight Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2013
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the new SmugMug! I've taken advantage of the new customization capabilities to adapt the Sierra design to my needs, and am really delighted about how much control I have over its look and feel. What do you think? I'd love some feedback, especially on the links, ease of use, clarity, as well as any design tweaks needed. Thanks!
    www.pix-photography.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited October 31, 2013
    Thank you, Macromeister
    Nice simple site, well laid out. I think the whiter design is better. I had dark for years then switched to white - I think I got it into my head it was more sophisticated!:D

I like the Pennypack fence scene - very nice image. If I were you I might have that as a static single image on your homepage, especially as the composition has an inviting 'come on in' nature to it.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my new site and give me feedback on it. Much appreciated! I see your point about the Pennypack fence image and actually featured it as a static image on my old site. For now, I have narrowed the slideshow on the home page to 3 images - including that one - but may switch to featuring it again.

Browsed through your site and amazing portfolio. Lovely work!

Thanks again,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    juanherediajuanheredia Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2013
    Hi guys, here's mine ... www.picomoments.com

Looking forward to some feedback... all welcome

Nice site, great looking. Simple and easy to browse,.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8
  • Options
    ThirdDayImagingThirdDayImaging Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2013
    See What You Think
    I'm enjoying the new SmugMug so far. I really love the Sierra template - it's a great attention grabber.

www.ThirdDayImaging.com
    Happy Shooting, Scott
    Bodies: Panasonic Lumix GF3 and G5
    Lenses: Leica/Lumix Summilux 25mm f1.4, Leica Summicron 50mm f2 (dual range), Leica Summicron 90mm f2, Leica Elmar 135mm f4, Lumix 12-42mm f3.5-f5
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2013
    I'm enjoying the new SmugMug so far. I really love the Sierra template - it's a great attention grabber.

www.ThirdDayImaging.com

So is your mushroom. :)
    FYI, if you resize your browser to smaller, the mushroom picture is replicated and overlays your header and logo section at the top, one photo there and then the next one underneath it. I will guess you have a background set to repeat? Did you mean to set up a full screen, one-photo-only, slideshow for the mushroom, instead? (I'm not sure of the code for that or I would give you a link to that.)
  • Options
    ThirdDayImagingThirdDayImaging Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    So is your mushroom. :)
    FYI, if you resize your browser to smaller, the mushroom picture is replicated and overlays your header and logo section at the top, one photo there and then the next one underneath it. I will guess you have a background set to repeat? Did you mean to set up a full screen, one-photo-only, slideshow for the mushroom, instead? (I'm not sure of the code for that or I would give you a link to that.)

I turned the repeat off and that seemed to help. I'm simply using a single photo as a full screen background for my homepage - nothing more at this point.

You're right, when the browser is resized it has to be refreshed in order to look right. Thank you for pointing that out. Any hints as to how it can be fixed?
    Happy Shooting, Scott
    Bodies: Panasonic Lumix GF3 and G5
    Lenses: Leica/Lumix Summilux 25mm f1.4, Leica Summicron 50mm f2 (dual range), Leica Summicron 90mm f2, Leica Elmar 135mm f4, Lumix 12-42mm f3.5-f5
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2013
    I turned the repeat off and that seemed to help. I'm simply using a single photo as a full screen background for my homepage - nothing more at this point.

You're right, when the browser is resized it has to be refreshed in order to look right. Thank you for pointing that out. Any hints as to how it can be fixed?

Why don't you post this question as a new thread, since it's more about fixing a problem than showing off new sites.
    I *think* you want to install a one-picture slideshow, rather than a photo as your background. But I haven't done the former myself. Someone will direct you to the right answer.

EDIT: the one-picture slideshow can be set to full-screen, to achieve the same effect as I see on your page.
  • Options
    AllieMarieAllieMarie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2013
    Hello! Here is my website: http://allisoncipraphotography.smugmug.com/ I tweaked the Max template to showcase what I photograph. I'm not 100% finished with the about section- such as adding a photo of myself. I preferred a dark background so the images stand out. It took me a bit to figure out the new layout but it was fun.

Thanks,
    Allison
  • Options
    denisemariedenisemarie Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2013
    Alrighty, finally unveiled the NEW.... http://denisemarieolson.smugmug.com/ ...
    Still doing some organizing, but overall learning the NEW GUI and doing OK...

loving the NEW Slideshow... show big, buy big!!!
  • Options
    ShakesShakes Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2013
    I finally unveiled my new site this morning after futzing with it for almost 2 months. It's basically a cleaned-up version of my old site with added features. I would like to thank all the people in this forum that provided custom code that I borrowed to complete my site.
    http://www.marcshurphotography.com
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2013
    On your contact page "What is the date you looking to capture some memories:" is kinda awkward to me. Love your site build!clap.gif

One thing I noticed on your site is that you still have the breaded man as your picture when you hit contact. To change click the drop-down menu where you will see your account settings and what not click on "profile" then you'll see "profile photo". Correct me if I'm wrong on this anyone but I believe that is how you change that. On another note not website related I love your Logo!
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2013
    Shakes wrote: »
    I finally unveiled my new site this morning after futzing with it for almost 2 months. It's basically a cleaned-up version of my old site with added features. I would like to thank all the people in this forum that provided custom code that I borrowed to complete my site.

Simple but effective! One thing in my opinion is that your banner it kind of clashes with your background color.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2013
    AllieMarie wrote: »
    Hello! Here is my website: http://allisoncipraphotography.smugmug.com/ I tweaked the Max template to showcase what I photograph. I'm not 100% finished with the about section- such as adding a photo of myself. I preferred a dark background so the images stand out. It took me a bit to figure out the new layout but it was fun.

Thanks,
    Allison

I like your layout with your navbar on the left logo in the middle social media on the right I think that is great. Though you may want to consider going a little bigger on the navbar on my 27in screen it looks pretty small.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited November 3, 2013
    AllieMarie wrote: »
    Your site looks good and clean.

There are two things that jumped out at me though. The first is that the font for your menu items is too small and the gray against black makes it hard to make out. I suspect the color will be fine if you make the menu entries larger.

The second is that you have chosen to remove the breadcrumbtrail without replacing it with something else. That means your viewers have no idea what gallery they are viewing. You have 3 options here:
    1. use the breadcrumbtrail
    2. use the breadcrumbtrail but apply a customization that only shows the name
    3. add a description to the gallery
    --- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2013
    Overall I like the look of your site but I find the movement of the menu bar from the top on the homepage to under your logo / text on other pages to be a bit disconcerting. I'd prefer to see it in the same location on all pages.

Your header is much too tall on pages where photos are shown. Even on my 23" monitor I saw no photos until I scrolled down. Have you considered using your large splash logo image only on the home page?

I'd suggest removing the login link from your page. That is only usable by you and is not needed since you can always log in at www.smugmug.com.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2013
    Your site looks good, very interesting photos!

Have you considered using a solid background instead of the sort-of fine texture you are currently using? I found the background pattern to make it uncomfortable to read your text (especially on your about page).

--- Denise
  • Options
    AllieMarieAllieMarie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 4, 2013
    Your site looks good and clean.

There are two things that jumped out at me though. The first is that the font for your menu items is too small and the gray against black makes it hard to make out. I suspect the color will be fine if you make the menu entries larger.

The second is that you have chosen to remove the breadcrumbtrail without replacing it with something else. That means your viewers have no idea what gallery they are viewing. You have 3 options here:
    1. use the breadcrumbtrail
    2. use the breadcrumbtrail but apply a customization that only shows the name
    3. add a description to the gallery
    --- Denise
    ko04 wrote: »
    I like your layout with your navbar on the left logo in the middle social media on the right I think that is great. Though you may want to consider going a little bigger on the navbar on my 27in screen it looks pretty small.

Thank you both for your input! I made changes: brought back the breadcrumbtrail for the automotive galleries and made the nav bar font larger. Let me know if its still hard to see the font b/c of color. I'll change it to white if needed.

http://allisoncipraphotography.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    PhilT87EPhilT87E Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 4, 2013
    Here's mine: http://www.philt.org.uk

A few bugs which I'm trying to resolve, but almost there!

PT
  • Options
    MotoriderMotorider Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2013
    Let me start out by saying that I'm not a professional photographer or website builder! I'm a digital woodworker (look at my site & you'll understand) trying to get my business off the ground. I try to take lots of pictures of my projects while I'm working on them. I've always envied the gorgeous photos people like you are able to produce & believe that pictures are key to a good site.

So, after more than 2 months (of what I originally thought was going to be fun & easy), I too have finally unveiled my new site. A very special thanks to all the people here that continue to provide positive feedback, detailed explanations & custom code - without you I couldn't have done it!

If you can forgive the poor photos, I'd appreciate any feedback on the site.
    Daren
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2013
    Motorider wrote: »
    Let me start out by saying that I'm not a professional photographer or website builder! I'm a digital woodworker (look at my site & you'll understand) trying to get my business off the ground. I try to take lots of pictures of my projects while I'm working on them. I've always envied the gorgeous photos people like you are able to produce & believe that pictures are key to a good site.

So, after more than 2 months (of what I originally thought was going to be fun & easy), I too have finally unveiled my new site. A very special thanks to all the people here that continue to provide positive feedback, detailed explanations & custom code - without you I couldn't have done it!

If you can forgive the poor photos, I'd appreciate any feedback on the site.
    Daren

Really nice. :) I love wood. One suggestion - you have no navbar. So when I was in Finished Woods, I wanted to go back and look at unfinished woods, but there was no way to navigate. Did you consider having a navbar?
  • Options
    MotoriderMotorider Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Really nice. :) I love wood. One suggestion - you have no navbar. So when I was in Finished Woods, I wanted to go back and look at unfinished woods, but there was no way to navigate. Did you consider having a navbar?

Thank you CR. I did have a navbar originally, but removed it because I didn't have my folders structured in a way that I wanted displayed in the URL (or something like that....it's been a while). The top menu I have is added to each 'unique' gallery manually.

I see where you would have to 'back out' a little further than you might like (using my existing links) if you wanted to view another gallery, but I thought people could just go back one or two pages with their browser. I guess I could add individual links for each of these galleries manually also though, but SM doesn't make it easy.
  • Options
    pileofprintspileofprints Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2013

I really liked your logo and the look of your site. Especially as it was unexpected as the rest of tossing photos in your face. I see that it is really functional to have the locked portfolios for your clients.

You have quite a few menus already, but did I miss the portfolio of your best work. If so, I think it should be highlighted. If it isn't there, I would add a portfolio of some of your best work to the menus or the home page, just because there are so many locked galleries and repeat similar pictures in the sports (as makes sense given what you are doing). The pictures I did see I really liked so I know you could have a great portfolio.
  • Options
    HumminbirdHumminbird Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2013
    Well, I took the plunge and unveiled yesterday. www.kathleenjohnstonphotography.com. I'm trying to keep it clean and simple. I had a homepage slideshow on the old Smug, but trying this new one out with a single image. I'd love to hear your thoughts and some honest c&c.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2013
    Humminbird wrote: »
    Well, I took the plunge and unveiled yesterday. www.kathleenjohnstonphotography.com. I'm trying to keep it clean and simple. I had a homepage slideshow on the old Smug, but trying this new one out with a single image. I'd love to hear your thoughts and some honest c&c.
    Thanks!
    By pinning your header you are only providing a very small window to view your photos. Pinning might
    work if the header were very short but yours is huge.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2013
    Header unpinned.
    Allen wrote: »
    By pinning your header you are only providing a very small window to view your photos. Pinning might
    work if the header were very short but yours is huge.

Thanks, Allen. I unpinned the header. I also think I could get more space on the page if I could move the navbar and the main picture up without cramping everything.. There's a bunch of empty space. Plus, I don't know how to decrease the height of the logo.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2013
    Humminbird wrote: »
    Thanks, Allen. I unpinned the header. I also think I could get more space on the page if I could move the navbar and the main picture up without cramping everything.. There's a bunch of empty space. Plus, I don't know how to decrease the height of the logo.
    On any page go to customize > customize site.
    Highlight "entire site" and click triangle on the menu. Check the bottom margin, maybe set it to zero and
    see if it helps.

Check the breadcrumb top margin also.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    On any page go to customize > customize site.
    Highlight "entire site" and click triangle on the menu. Check the bottom margin, maybe set it to zero and
    see if it helps.

Check the breadcrumb top margin also.

Couldn't find the breadcrumb container, but I fiddled with container sizes and margins to move my navbar up beside my logo. Does this look better now?

Thank you!