Options

Get a Sneak Peek at SmugMug's new design!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    sirshannon wrote: »
    Seriously. I am a web developer, I know my way around a browser (and html, css, js, java, C#, sql, xml, etc) and the only reason I came to this thread was to figure out why the new style wasn't showing up in my gallery after I made the changes and opted in. It took me to near the end of the (far too many) pages to finally see someone post that I needed to go to extramediumlarge.com/goodies in addition to smugmug.com/goodies to get this to work on extramediumlarge.com

I would think updating the original post would be just as easy as a canned "thanks for your comments" reply. It definitely would have save me some time.

Guys. We read and digest every single comment here. Thanks. Stay tuned for iterations deal.gif
  • Options
    richturkrichturk Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    dereksurfs wrote: »
    Oh nooo, its like Hotel California. You can check out any time you'd like. But you can never leave. eek7.gif11doh.gif

More seriously though try closing then opening a new browser after clicking on Leave.

If I could hit "Like" for this comment, I would!
  • Options
    richturkrichturk Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Ok Dave et al, thanks . That did the trick. Didn't mean to start a whole complaint thread.......I think maybe in the documentation there was an assumption that if we read "how to try it", and "how to try it for custom domain names", somehow, we'd remember either a)where we found the documentation or b)what steps we took.

anyway, have checked out of the Hotel Beta for ya

If you use a custom domain you also have to go to http://{customdomain}/goodies and click "leave" there too.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2011
    Good Lord. Why make it so difficult.

How's this? It should go live on Thursday night, or when we push next.

20110727-bynikiyw6r7wg5fcbwasjs88up.jpg
  • Options
    SouwalkerSouwalker Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Bird Lady wrote: »
    To anyone at SM reading this, I was only able to use CSS, etc., after many weeks of help from the wonderful, patient SM volunteers. For the non-html people like me, redoing all that stuff would be a major time-consuming headache.

This is exactly my concern. A very patient SM'er helped me through customizing my site:

www.patrickdesouza.com

Am I understnading correctly that ones the new changes go live on Thursday, I need to make CSS, html change to my entire site to use the new format?

I can't make any CSS or html changes at all...

Rgds
    Patrick
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2011
    Souwalker wrote: »

Am I understnading correctly that ones the new changes go live on Thursday

We're not making ANY changes yet - this is pre-alpha, and opt-in only to take a sneak peek. You'll have plenty of notice when we go live with this.
  • Options
    dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    We're not making ANY changes yet - this is pre-alpha, and opt-in only to take a sneak peek. You'll have plenty of notice when we go live with this.

Cool beans Andy and Smugmug crew!!! Thanks for listening and making SM what it is today. thumb.gifthumb.gifclap

Keep up the good work guys.

BTW, I'd rep you if I could. Any talks of adding rep points?
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011

Cool, but once this goes live, do I need to make some or massive changes to my site? I relied on a kind and patient SM'r to help me with my site and I do not have the knowledge to do so.

I am concerned about this.

Rgds
    Patrick
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Souwalker wrote: »
    Cool, but once this goes live, do I need to make some or massive changes to my site? I relied on a kind and patient SM'r to help me with my site and I do not have the knowledge to do so.

I am concerned about this.

Rgds
    Patrick
    Hi Patrick, have a re-read of Onethumb's posts #1 and 2 of this very thread and holler back with your questions, OK? Thanks!
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    onethumb wrote: »
    Our test suite includes mobile phones, tablets, laptops ranging from 11" to 17", and desktops with a wide range of displays. Our target resolution is 1024x768, with 1280x800 and similar sizes a close second.
    Thank you for the feedback. How did you come up with the target resolutions? Is this what a majority of the users are using? I'm curious because it the same thing I find for my web site, so I develop for 1024x768 as well.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    Thank you for the feedback. How did you come up with the target resolutions? Is this what a majority of the users are using? I'm curious because it the same thing I find for my web site, so I develop for 1024x768 as well.

We have many analytics tools at our disposal, that tell us what our customers and visitors are using for screen resolutions.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    There is one more option which will work with this proposed layout, especially for those who like larger thumbs. Provide a gallery thumb only page with larger thumbs...

This begs a question that I haven't seen addressed (apologies if I missed it): Will the other gallery styles (other than SmugMug) remain unchanged? Such as the Thumbnails style which has larger thumbs. Or is the plan to eventually update them as well?
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    BigRed wrote: »
    Or is the plan to eventually update them as well?

nod.gifnod.gif
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    cmason wrote: »
    I do miss the "Pages" where you could go to 'Page 1 of 3", but this has been reproduced at the bottom of the thumbnails in Apple-like dots that allow you to go to other pages. Not sure what happens in really large galleries.
    This would be a big issue for me. I have a lot of 1000+ image galleries.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    This would be a big issue for me. I have a lot of 1000+ image galleries.

Sounds like you haven't even tried it :)

20110728-f275hpsdyyhy2kr26ksihptf58.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Hi Patrick, have a re-read of Onethumb's posts #1 and 2 of this very thread and holler back with your questions, OK? Thanks!
    Done :D
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Andy,

I must have missed something because I'm still seeing only dots. Are these new page numbers (1 of x) something that will be added or an optional setting?
    Sounds like you haven't even tried it :)

20110728-f275hpsdyyhy2kr26ksihptf58.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Andy,

I must have missed something because I still seeing the dots only. Are these new page numbers (1 of x) something that will be added or an optional setting?

large galleries will have the page #s.
  • Options
    SherwinJamesSherwinJames Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    I am liking what I see so far. This new design can't come soon enough - the current design is getting very dated. I can't stress enough the importance of full featured customization for those of us that rely on a strong brand.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Are these new page numbers (1 of x) something that will be added or an optional setting?
    I'm seeing them now! :D
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    large galleries will have the page #s.

I'd rather have page numbers all the time. Dots aren't intuitive and having dots sometimes and pages other times just adds confusion. And the arrows should be not be hidden. Why add an extra click just to go to the next page?
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Erick L wrote: »
    I'd rather have page numbers all the time. Dots aren't intuitive and having dots sometimes and pages other times just adds confusion. And the arrows should be not be hidden. Why add an extra click just to go to the next page?

Yes, I agree. I like the numbers much better for any size gallery. For example I have a gallery of 94 images and 7 pages = 7 dots. I find this more difficult to navigate than arrows with distinct page numbers. < 1 of x >

I think this could very easily be a configuration option under gallery Look and Feel. That way it doesn't have to be only one way or the other. There are in fact many of these things which could be configurable under Look and Feel like thumbnail size range (150px - 250px). That way everyone isn't tied to the same exact look without writting custom code/scripts/tweaks, which of course I will do if/when necessary. But not everyone likes this or has the time for writting so much custom code which instead could be automated with a single built-in hook/flag. All that is needed in this case is: Use Dots for Navigation: Yes/No.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Erick L wrote: »
    I completely agree. Just can't find any reason why dots are better, and we really don't need more confusion. Besides, what's considered a "large gallery"?? Page numbers would depend what size the thumbs are! I also still can't find any reason why we need to cover up a thumb with an ugly, stark-white arrow. Why can't it just be next to the thumb? Why right in the middle of it? We don't need to find a reason to cover up any part of any image when there's space elsewhere. Like I mentioned before, another classy possibility would be a semi-transparent arrow that comes off the bottom right of that last thumb. This is used elsewhere... I just can't think where. I thought it was iStockphoto, but can't find it there now. It would fit with the overall look of the new style.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    There seems to be an issue with line-breaks in captions. In the production environment, a carriage return is assumed to be a <BR> tag (unless there are opening & closing <HTML> tags; see below). But this isn't working in the test system. All of my 2-line captions are running together into a single line. (Maybe this has something to do with yanking the Rich Text Editor from this version.)

Are you planning to change your other "assumed HTML" logic too? If so, please build that into the automated conversion routine (see, I'm trusting that there will be one). Specifically, there is currently logic that defines a few simple HTML tags, which in bio, caption, or gallery description are ASSUMED to be HTML -- without opening & closing <HTML> & </HTML> tags.

<strong> (<B>)
    <em> (<I>)
    <span style>
    <h3>
    <h2>
    <center>
    carriage return = <BR>

This may be little understood and seem a little klugey, but it definitely saves keystrokes.

This logic used to be semi-documented at http://www.smugmug.com/help/html-help, but apparently recently has been removed from that Help page. Hopefully, this doesn't mean that the logic itself is being removed.

P.S. John Friend did some digging into this logic when building his jfriend HTML5 slideshow. See:
    http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1542986&postcount=62
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    I really like the dots now. ne_nau.gif Since what pictures are on what page is different for every resolution, I don't really see the need for the exact number...

Malte
  • Options
    KarylKaryl Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2011
    I love how streamlined the UI is now, definitely seems more nicely integrated, seems to focus more on the images. Only things so far that I don't like are the color tweaks - I prefer the darker background of the older "smugmug" theme, as well as the black border in the enlarged view, to separate it from the rest of the page that is faded into the background. On one of my darker images, for a moment I thought part of it had been doubled off to one side, because there was nothing to mark the edge of the enlarged photo anymore.

Then again... I think I may be using the Black theme right now, now that I think about it... so once you get that upgraded to the snazzy new layout those issues may not be a problem anymore. Geez I don't use my gallery enough lately... can't even remember what theme I'm using.

Overall, I like the way it's drawn attention back to the photos. Much less mess. Captions are nice and readable without being distracting... though again an issue with the enlarged photo view, the caption box feels a bit awkward. For one, the box is centered but the text is not, which causes a bit too much visual tension and draws my eye away from the photo. If there is a way to make the box more fitted to the text, center the text to match everything else, that may look a bit cleaner.

Keep going back and forth between old and new just to compare... these are the things that are standing out right now. MY OCD sort of has me focusing on the visuals.
  • Options
    Green_HornetGreen_Hornet Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    I also like the dots. And I want to start using the new design NOW! bouncy.gif
    View my photos at janriggert.smugmug.com
    Feel free to leave a comment...
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    i also like the dots. And i want to start using the new design now! bouncy.gif

+1
  • Options
    LinhLinh Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    Yes, I agree. I like the numbers much better for any size gallery. For example I have a gallery of 94 images and 7 pages = 7 dots. I find this more difficult to navigate than arrows with distinct page numbers. < 1 of x >

I think this could very easily be a configuration option under gallery Look and Feel. That way it doesn't have to be only one way or the other. There are in fact many of these things which could be configurable under Look and Feel like thumbnail size range (150px - 250px). That way everyone isn't tied to the same exact look without writting custom code/scripts/tweaks, which of course I will do if/when necessary. But not everyone likes this or has the time for writting so much custom code which instead could be automated with a single built-in hook/flag. All that is needed in this case is: Use Dots for Navigation: Yes/No.

this. or some variation of this.

I love the dots. But what I've noticed with a lot of folks is the majority of them are a little confused how to navigate. They don't really notice the dots changing, it's not as immediately noticeable as say a bolded 4 in a list of 5 numbers, or page 4 of 10 with arrows and a drop down.
    vote on the following smugmug feedback:
    CSS Block To Flow Down To Children Folders/Pages/Galleries
    [URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
    gallery-download-button-for-my-visitors"]bulk download option for clients[/URL]
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    I want to start using the new design NOW! bouncy.gif

bouncy.gif +1
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site