Options

Get a Sneak Peek at SmugMug's new design!

Comments

• Options
    stenpstenp Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    I thought so too, until I worked with the new design a bit and noticed there is thumb under the arrow which, if selected, takes you straight to that image!

On this basis, the thumb has not been lost so I'm not so sure this is a 'serious design error'.

I think it is a design error as the thumb under the arrow is the first thumb displayed on next page and therefore this thumbnail is repeted on this and next page. For page 2 and following both the first thumb and the last points to thumbs on another page. So the result is that 2 thumbnailholders is pointing to thumbnails on the page before and after. Of course there should be a maximum possible use of the space for thumbnails and image.

I also think it is a design error as you have to move your mousepointer over half the screen if you want to move back to a previous page.

Another design error is that the image navigation very well can be hidden in the bottom of the page if the image description has little more text than this design can handle.

Those problems are solved with todays design where the page and image navigation is on top of thumbnails and image. The best solution is to make i configurable in the gallery settings.

I think the design should be simple without any unneccessary fancy design element. It should also be easy to understand without any learning process for a random visitor. Very important for sites selling images even if I don't.

JFriend has done a great job for us and the resulting list in post #149 is impressive. Thank You JFriend, I agree to everything in that list.
  • Options
    arik103arik103 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 25, 2011
    Thumbnail
    Is it possible to bring a thumbnail view back into new gallery. Thnaks
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    arik103 wrote: »
    Is it possible to bring a thumbnail view back into new gallery. Thnaks

You're mixing up two different things here: the viewing style (think page layout) and the style's design (think theme). Currently this preview is limited to the SmugMug viewing style. It will eventually be expanded I'm sure to other viewing styles.

In the mean time you can get back to the all thumbs style by going into your gallery settings and forcing the gallery style to be "Thumbnails". Note of course that will impact all viewers, as Don said in post 1 on the thread, the days of viewer controlled gallery style are over: you as the owner pick the style the gallery is displayed in.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    Size option for panoramas
    Available sizes are S, M, L, X1, X2, X3, O and Smart.

For a panorama I would like to have a new size setting and that is H = Fill screen height and set width depending on original proportions. Then a panorama can be experienced to its full value. The Smart option is valuable in its own because sometimes you really want to see the whole landscape image even if it does not fill upp the height.

If it is possible to tweak the single image view so the mousepointer shifts to a drag function instead of return to gallery for an image that is stretching outsize screen, then the navigation will be much better.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    stenp wrote: »

For a panorama I would like to have a new size setting and that is H = Fill screen height and set width depending on original proportions. Then a panorama can be experienced to its full value. The Smart option is valuable in its own because sometimes you really want to see the whole landscape image even if it does not fill upp the height.

If it is possible to tweak the single image view so the mousepointer shifts to a drag function instead of return to gallery for an image that is stretching outsize screen, then the navigation will be much better.

Thanks for posting such a great, detailed feature request! If you don't mind, we'd love it if you would put your feature requests here: http://feedback.smugmug.com

Thanks!
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011

Very good idea, Sten! clap.gif Post it to Uservoice and I'll vote. deal.gif

Malte
  • Options
    woozewooze Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2011
    More settings for individual gallery slideshows?
    onethumb wrote: »
    7/8/11 - Among lots of small changes based on your feedback, we have:
    * Gallery descriptions once again have unrestricted HTML
    * New page navigation which solves the "can't find the arrows" and "the arrows are below the fold" problems
    * Captions aren't truncated
    * Captions are pinned to the photo
    * Keywords are lean & mean
    * Keywords are pinned to the caption
    * Slideshow button in a more prominent place
    * Performance improvements

7/21/11 - Among some other minor tweaks, we have:
    * Inline editing of Captions & Keywords. Gallery Description coming soon!

Would it be possible to add 'Randomize' and 'Random Start' as features in a Slideshow Settings pop-up window when you click the 'Slideshow' button for individual galleries? Currently, one cannot define settings for individual gallery slideshows. These two settings already exist for the homepage gallery. It would be nice to also include them as options for individual gallery slideshow settings...

For example: When I create a virtual gallery and hit 'Slideshow' to view it, the slideshow always starts at the beginning of the virtual gallery and cycles through--same order every time. I want to be able to view a slideshow of a virtual gallery in random order and from a random start.

Thanks! mwink.gif
  • Options
    woozewooze Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2011
    wooze wrote: »
    Would it be possible to add 'Randomize' and 'Random Start' as features in a Slideshow Settings pop-up window when you click the 'Slideshow' button for individual galleries? Currently, one cannot define settings for individual gallery slideshows. These two settings already exist for the homepage gallery. It would be nice to also include them as options for individual gallery slideshow settings...

For example: When I create a virtual gallery and hit 'Slideshow' to view it, the slideshow always starts at the beginning of the virtual gallery and cycles through--same order every time. I want to be able to view a slideshow of a virtual gallery in random order and from a random start.

Thanks! mwink.gif

I just posted my suggestion to -> http://feedback.smugmug.com per Andy's recommendation.
  • Options
    scubagirlscubagirl Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 28, 2011
    Q. Can you include the ability to choose to add an animated logo header to homepage in formats other than GIF? You already have the ability to choose other formats in video gallery, but not on the header for the homepage.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Sneak peek custom domain join help
    Ok, I guess I am not so smart. I can go here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/goodies/
    and I can click on the JOIN button (and it changes to LEAVE like it should).
    I then go to a gallery and change it from custom to Smugmug. Viewing shows no changes. Not suppose to 'cause I use a custom domain name.

The instructions say,
    "If you use a custom URL, hit 'Join' on your custom domain, too. Like this: http://www.example.com/goodies".

First, what is that example suppose to do? Show what a custom domain name looks like? I thought it was going to be an example of how to JOIN if using a custom domain name - guess not!

This is where I get stupid. Just where do I do this??? I am already logged in to my custom domain and I see my custom domain name in the breadcrumb.

Please help a dummy.

One other question. I use "custom" for ALL my galleries. Does this mean that after the new stuff is installed, it will not affect anything set at "custom" - just for things set to "SmugMug"?

Troup Nightingale
    Southeastern Photography
    http://www.southeasternphotography.com
  • Options
    jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    It is an example. For your domain, you would need to visit http://www.southeasternphotography.com/goodies instead of http://www.example.com/goodies - make sense?

Also, you're not "installing" anything. Activating the design preview will only show up to YOU and not to any of your customers - they will still see your custom gallery stuff.
    Ok, I guess I am not so smart. I can go here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/goodies/
    and I can click on the JOIN button (and it changes to LEAVE like it should).
    I then go to a gallery and change it from custom to Smugmug. Viewing shows no changes. Not suppose to 'cause I use a custom domain name.

The instructions say,
    "If you use a custom URL, hit 'Join' on your custom domain, too. Like this: http://www.example.com/goodies".

First, what is that example suppose to do? Show what a custom domain name looks like? I thought it was going to be an example of how to JOIN if using a custom domain name - guess not!

This is where I get stupid. Just where do I do this??? I am already logged in to my custom domain and I see my custom domain name in the breadcrumb.

Please help a dummy.

One other question. I use "custom" for ALL my galleries. Does this mean that after the new stuff is installed, it will not affect anything set at "custom" - just for things set to "SmugMug"?

Troup Nightingale
    Southeastern Photography
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    jhofker wrote: »
    It is an example. For your domain, you would need to visit http://www.southeasternphotography.com/goodies instead of http://www.example.com/goodies - make sense?

Also, you're not "installing" anything. Activating the design preview will only show up to YOU and not to any of your customers - they will still see your custom gallery stuff.

Thanks! I see it now. THought the gallery had to be set up for SmugMug and not Custom. Mine are set to Custom and the changes are still showing...no big deal and no need for reply!

Troupthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2011
    Awww Dag Blast it DGRIN
    Well, that's just great. I just spent a LONG time entering comments here - and I was not emotional or anything. I was to the point and mentioned some useful things and some real issues. I hit SEND and Dgrin burps that I am not logged in any longer due to time. It let me log in. Then I got a screen that said to hit the back button to reload the message (or to that effect). Then I was stuck in limbo. It kept going back to telling me to reload again and again.Nuts. I just wasted a lot of effort trying to help SmugMug out.

Perhaps the upgrade should be for Dgrin to realize that when someone is in the REPLY mode and is actively typing, that user IS logged in and the system should not log them out. That can't be too hard can it? I can understand if there is no typing activity or any mouse activity on the screen. But not when someone is actively typing. ALSO, since the system auto-logs you out, might it be nice to send a message to the user screen that this is GOING to happen and let the user click on something to stay logged in?

This really got my goat after putting so much effort into the Sneak Peak reply.

I'm going to have to think real hard about going back and doing it again without knowing how long I have until I am auto logged out. I could have broken the reply into multiple replies. ARGGGGGG.

Troup Nightingale
    Southeastern Photography
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Well, that's just great. I just spent a LONG time entering comments here - and I was not emotional or anything. I was to the point and mentioned some useful things and some real issues. I hit SEND and Dgrin burps that I am not logged in any longer due to time. It let me log in. Then I got a screen that said to hit the back button to reload the message (or to that effect). Then I was stuck in limbo. It kept going back to telling me to reload again and again.Nuts. I just wasted a lot of effort trying to help SmugMug out.

Perhaps the upgrade should be for Dgrin to realize that when someone is in the REPLY mode and is actively typing, that user IS logged in and the system should not log them out. That can't be too hard can it? I can understand if there is no typing activity or any mouse activity on the screen. But not when someone is actively typing. ALSO, since the system auto-logs you out, might it be nice to send a message to the user screen that this is GOING to happen and let the user click on something to stay logged in?

This really got my goat after putting so much effort into the Sneak Peak reply.

I'm going to have to think real hard about going back and doing it again without knowing how long I have until I am auto logged out. I could have broken the reply into multiple replies. ARGGGGGG.

Troup Nightingale
    Southeastern Photography

When you login, be sure to check the "Remember Me?" box. Also, if you can hit back and see your post again, you can copy the post, login, and paste it in. You'll have to reenter the title, though.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2011
    Staying logged in to Dgrin - sorry off-topic
    When you login, be sure to check the "Remember Me?" box. Also, if you can hit back and see your post again, you can copy the post, login, and paste it in. You'll have to reenter the title, though.

So, the Remember Me box will keep you logged in beyond the timer Dgrin is using? If so, maybe that should be noted at the Remember Me check box.

I could NOT hit back to see the post again...or I would not be writing all this! It let me re-login and then got me stuck in a loop. Everytime I hit back, it would tell me to hit back.

If Dgrin is going to automatically log you out and leave you merrily typing away, I consider that rude programing (not you - the code!). Before autologout, a bubble should open up asking if we want to log out or continue staying logged in - if you don't respond in a defined time, then, boom you are gone. I have seen other sites accomplish this. Ok, enough of the off-topic stuff.
  • Options
    pgmanpgman Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Download bug?
    Hi,

1. I just tried the new look, nice! but I noticed a button at the bottom right of the screen: the download button. I can download the original file even when I'm not logged in and the gallery only allows for XL2.

2. Is it possible to show thumbnails that are larger than 100px?

Chrome: 13.0.782.215, Ubuntu 10.04LTS, http://photos.foto-biz.com
    Thanks
    http://www.sritch.com
    The Dogs of Vancouver, BC
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    pgman wrote: »
    Hi,
    I hope not. I want the main image as large as possible and the thumbs as many as possible. If the
    thumbs were larger visitors would browse the thumbs and not look at the large size. The thumbs are
    there to give them only a "hint" of what the large photos looks like.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2011

Chrome: 13.0.782.215, Ubuntu 10.04LTS, http://photos.foto-biz.com

When your screen res/browser window size will allow it, we'll show 150px thumbs.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2011
    My Critique of the New Design
    1. Thought this new view only worked on pages set to SmugMug view. All mine are set to custom and I still see the new view. No big deal to me.

2. I like that the gallery name is now dropped off the breadcrumb and lowered a line or two and is bigger. Going to go make that change in my customized website right away! Love it!

3. Problem w/breadcrumbs. I have a home page with galleries on another page (custom). I click on a Galleries button and go to the galleries page. I click on a gallery name with sub-catagories and go there. I then choose a Photo Gallery and go there. The breadcrumb does not list the original Gallery page. It has my home page which makes me have to go to extra pages to get to the main Galleries page. Not good.

4. I don't care for the arrows in the thumbnail change. You have space under the thumbnails where the page dots and/or page numbers are to implement a forward/back set of smaller arrows.

5. Related to #4. I also do not like the dots representing the pages. I see if you have enough pages, the dots turn into the actual page number with the ability to go to a specific page. I like this better and hope to see it consistently regardless to the number of pages. Consistency please.

6. I see where when you click on an image to see a larger/smaller view, the word "AUTO" is now "SIZE". I actually saw that change last night [read further to see I was confused]. Super, makes better sense! For consistency sake again there should be a drop box that opens if you just hover over it to tell you what it does - just like the SHARE button next to it. I suppose the SHARE button has the dropdown text 'cause folks would not know what that symbol is!

7. WAIT! Related to #6. I now see that sometimes the AUTO/SIZE button says one and then later the other. Seems to be if you switch the size you are viewing the button reverts back to AUTO. Can't we just stick with SIZE? Confusing to general users and obviously myself.

8. Related to #7. Hmmmm. Now when I select a size, the box shows the selected size - that's good. Aha! When I select normal viewing and then reselect the image to change the size, there is that AUTO again. Wish it just said SIZE. The viewer will change to what they want.

9. Last night there was a smaller text under the image stating "Photo by 'Whomever'". I don't see that today. There were two problems. It used my SmugMug nickname(?) with two words and a hyphen between them. I would rather it use my real name without a hyphen either. Which brings up issue that sometimes we post someone else's images and this would be a problem.

10. Guess some people like the big GREEN Buy Prints & Gifts. But what if the GREEN clashes with different selected or custom backgrounds? I like the Gold Cart, but this could clash also. I notice if I click an image for a different size view, the Buy Bar changes to white text, grey cart, and darker background matching the header color. I like this better. If someone is going to buy an image, they will look for the BUY option. Now that it is bigger, they will find it easily - but does it have to be that GREEN image?

11. Captions under images - by default are left justified. Works fine for horizontal images, but places the text outside of the underneath of vertical images. I custom changed mine to center the text.

12. I love that when you mouse over a thumbnail, the square box becomes a rounded edges box! Like to customize mine to do that right now!

13. I implore you to use JFriends non-Flash, works for everything, Slideshow code for ALL slideshows on SmugMug. PLEASE!!! This just makes so much sense getting rid of the Flash.

14. When the REAL change is made, will these neat changes be in effect for all custom pages? And will our custom changes over-ride your "new" changes except where a functionality has changed or is dropped altogether?

END: I wrote these down on paper as I went through the BETA pages. So, where I have confusion written above, the general non-SmugMug person might also. I hope this is the kind of critique you are requesting. I applaud the effort to bring SmugMug pages to their best!

Troup Nightingale
    Southeastern Photography
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    I hope not. I want the main image as large as possible and the thumbs as many as possible. If the thumbs were larger visitors would browse the thumbs and not look at the large size. The thumbs are there to give them only a "hint" of what the large photos looks like.

That's why there are options. I want them the bigger, much bigger at least the size of the http://500px.com
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    When your screen res/browser window size will allow it, we'll show 150px thumbs.

My screen is a 22" monitor at 1680px by 1050px resolution. How big will the screen have to be for the thumbnails to be 150px or larger?

Some of my customers still use 17" screens at the office and many have 13" laptops. Will I have to supply them with a magnifying glass to see the 25px or 50px thumbnails?

Please, also take in consideration the old "gizzards," like me, who have to use a pair of progressive/computer glasses.
    Thanks
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    That's why there are options. I want them the bigger, much bigger at least the size of the http://500px.com
    I see no relation of any thumbs on that site to the "new" smugmug style. I did see something similar to
    Smugs allthumbs style though. This thread is only supposed to discuss the Smugmug style. I imagine
    other styles will be discussed in the future.

As I said before a lot visitors will only look at the thumbs if they're too big. They completely miss the
    beauty of the larger photo. My thoughts are to give them a "hint" to something and they have to look
    at the larger photo to see its beauty.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    I see no relation of any thumbs on that site to the "new" smugmug style. I did see something similar to
    Smugs allthumbs style though. This thread is only supposed to discuss the Smugmug style. I imagine
    other styles will be discussed in the future.

As I said before a lot visitors will only look at the thumbs if they're too big. They completely miss the
    beauty of the larger photo. My thoughts are to give them a "hint" to something and they have to look
    at the larger photo to see its beauty.
    Basically, we just need the choice, and we're all proving that with our various opinions. For myself, the above is just not true. With 100px thumbs, I can't even get a hint if it's worth looking at. It's too daunting to peer at such tiny images. Besides, it depends a lot upon the gallery. For a portrait or event photog, people just want to be able to tell one person from another or one expression from another, enough to choose the best ones and click on 'em & buy 'em. That's next to impossible with 100px thumbs, cuz they all look alike. I can see we're never going to agree on this, so I pray that we'll simply have a choice. The assertion I saw earlier (from Andy, I guess) that larger displays will cause larger thumbs to display has not held up so far. If it does in the future, that helps. But I have a large screen and have mostly seen the tiny thumbs, and when I see that I feel like.... why do I even bother having a large screen? I want a large screen because I want large photos, and large thumbs!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2011
    The assertion I saw earlier (from Andy, I guess) that larger displays will cause larger thumbs to display has not held up so far.

I see large thumbs on your site. I think I'm 1600 wide here.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Thanks for posting such a great, detailed feature request! If you don't mind, we'd love it if you would put your feature requests here: http://feedback.smugmug.com

Thanks!

Done !
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    Malte wrote: »
    Very good idea, Sten! clap.gif Post it to Uservoice and I'll vote. deal.gif

Malte

It's open for votes now :)
    http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/2221454-size-option-for-panoramas?ref=title

Sten
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011

Gave it 3! You might want to search uservoice for similar suggestions, if they're similar enough the admin will merge them.

Malte
  • Options
    colinpurringtoncolinpurrington Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    I like many of the new features, but I have a strong preference for white gallery backgrounds. I know that's so uncool for viewing photographs, but that's just how I roll, and younger people (which I am not) seem to, too. The dark background feels too much like a D&D forum from 20 years ago, though I actually haven't seen a D&D forum from 20 years ago. So I'm hoping the CSS modification will eventually allow the architecture and button changes while also allowing color scheme control. Or perhaps it's already possible and I just don't know how to enable it.
  • Options
    BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    I like many of the new features, but I have a strong preference for white gallery backgrounds.

I too would like a white option to use as a starting point for customizing my site. My site is currently white and will likely remain that way, and starting from a white template will be easier than changing everything from a dark template. Or even if I decide to make my site dark, it's nice to have the option.

I'm looking forward to when this is ready to go live. Still some things to work out, but I like the way it's going. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011