• Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Poke
    For those not checking:

there are reports of a serious incompatibility between OS X 10.5.3 and CS3

discussion here in "Digital Darkroom Gear."

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    For those not checking:

there are reports of a serious incompatibility between OS X 10.5.3 and CS3

discussion here in "Digital Darkroom Gear."

VI

It's when you save files directly to a network share from within a CS3 application. Apple changed something in 10.5.3 which breaks whatever CS3 was doing.

Note, that this has NEVER been supported by Adobe -- they have always recommend you save files locally. The crux of the problem is that Photoshop has some VERY VERY old and crufty code in it where save operations are concerned. If they were to update to the OS X POSIX APIs instead of using old Carbon routines that give compatibility with stuff that worked in System 6 and earlier, this wouldn't be a problem, but Adobe hasn't done that yet.

Someday, maybe with the update to CS5 which will require them to migrate from Carbon to Cocoa to get 64 bit, this problem may go away. But for now, it's using some old/crufty APIs which seem to be affected in negative ways when Apple fixes OS bugs.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    bermuda triangle for mail junk-button?
    I have two macs that I use. I also use Mac Mail on both of those. One is showing a junk button near the top, the other one is not. Oh, and it is annoying the crap out of me :D

This is one:
    20080602-m1343e4wcp3hkeb5uu925ux48j.jpg
    this is another:
    20080602-qtr1g3jmdxwf9uktbm1uwacetw.jpg

Now why am I not seeing a junk mail button in the second one? headscratch.gif

The junk mail settings are the same on both:
    20080602-1ecpc5nnk21sh5rbnmq1kh439i.jpg

and the version is also the same on both:
    20080602-bky6cxu1s6d89a5w7tmmd2a69s.jpg

Suggestions, anyone? ear.gif
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    I have two macs that I use. I also use Mac Mail on both of those. One is showing a junk button near the top, the other one is not. Oh, and it is annoying the crap out of me :D

This is one:

this is another:

Now why am I not seeing a junk mail button in the second one? headscratch.gif

The junk mail settings are the same on both:

and the version is also the same on both:

Suggestions, anyone? ear.gif

right (or ctrl) -click on the tool bar and then select the bottom "customize" option. There is a default tool bar at the bottom you can drag over or individual buttons.

HTH
    Travis
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    right (or command) -click on the tool bar and then select the bottom "customize" option. There is a default tool bar at the bottom you can drag over or individual buttons.

HTH
    w00p! That worked, didn't even know it was there. I must have done something like that before without remembering. It's back to normal, thanks!
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this.. Never hurts to ask though..

Is there a way for me to get a MacBookPro re-certified so I can sign it up for Apple Care?
    The machine is less than three years old. It's a 17" upper end MBP.

I have a friend that wants to trade me for x hours of web development for his old MBP. He's a good friend and he's been fully up front about the machine and the state it's in. But I'd love to be able to use Apple Care instead of having to spend $$ if the machine breaks down.

TIA

-Jon
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this.. Never hurts to ask though..

Is there a way for me to get a MacBookPro re-certified so I can sign it up for Apple Care?
    The machine is less than three years old. It's a 17" upper end MBP.

I have a friend that wants to trade me for x hours of web development for his old MBP. He's a good friend and he's been fully up front about the machine and the state it's in. But I'd love to be able to use Apple Care instead of having to spend $$ if the machine breaks down.

TIA

-Jon

No. You pass the 1 year mark by any amount and AppleCare is no longer an option.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    No. You pass the 1 year mark by any amount and AppleCare is no longer an option.
    TYVM David thumb.gif
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    dropbox
    I'm using Dropbox to share and sync files between two computers. I have two invites left. If anyone wants one pm me your email address.

It seems like a good app.

Shay.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    10.5.3 + G5 = brick (eventually)
    Sigh, I upgraded my quad G5 to 10.5.3 a couple days after it came out. Ever since then it's been locking up more and more often. Before then it never did. Now I can't even boot the box, firmware throws up a 'no' logo in place of the apple logo. Nothing else changed, and when it is running there's no indication that anything is wrong with hardware... cooling seems to be fine, the temps are stable and not growing rapidly. I can't even boot in to firewire target mode. headscratch.gif Going to have to haul the box up to the apple store this weekend and see what they can do. :cry
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    Sigh, I upgraded my quad G5 to 10.5.3 a couple days after it came out. Ever since then it's been locking up more and more often. Before then it never did. Now I can't even boot the box, firmware throws up a 'no' logo in place of the apple logo. Nothing else changed, and when it is running there's no indication that anything is wrong with hardware... cooling seems to be fine, the temps are stable and not growing rapidly. I can't even boot in to firewire target mode. headscratch.gif Going to have to haul the box up to the apple store this weekend and see what they can do. :cry

I had this problem on my laptop while in Scotland. Couldn't boot from an external, target mode, nothing. They replaced the hard drive and all was fine. This was pre-10.5.3, though. Anyway, short story, it was the hardware. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    click for original

311554683_fSgHa-XL.jpg
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    click for original

I can claim past ownership of the 1984 Macintosh, the 1990 Macintosh Classic, then there was the time I now refer to as the dark ages, and finally the 2006 Mac Book Pro.

there are a few other bits and peices I can claim ownership of, but that's the main jist of it.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Ah, at one time I managed, a Power Mac 6100, two Quadra 800s, Powerbook, Power Mac, and two 'clones'. This was 1996-7.

The Macs were more troublesome than the Windows PCs in the office, mostly because the graphic artists had all these plug ins that they were constantly needed to restart their Macs to initialize. It was a mess. I believe this was OS 7 or so.
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    I also remember playing with the Apple Lisa thinking it was the coolest thing ever.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Just slightly off topic (although OS X brings it back in ) Will never forget going to a seminar on the Next computer during Grad school. I was blown away, the OS was beautiful, and it came with an OPTICAL drive, which was just so amazing. All boring now, but I remember thinking there has to be a way to find $10,000 to get one of those things.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    The NeXT box was pretty cool. We had one for a time and used it for some
    comparison of News based UI on SGI boxes.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Just slightly off topic (although OS X brings it back in ) Will never forget going to a seminar on the Next computer during Grad school. I was blown away, the OS was beautiful, and it came with an OPTICAL drive, which was just so amazing. All boring now, but I remember thinking there has to be a way to find $10,000 to get one of those things.

The Next just blew my socks off. Coolest machine ever. :ivar
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Is there a way to determine how much bandwidth is used over the course of a month on a mac?

I am trying to figure out if I could use a laptop connect card vs traditional home DSL, but most are capped at 5gb per month.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Is there a way to determine how much bandwidth is used over the course of a month on a mac?

I am trying to figure out if I could use a laptop connect card vs traditional home DSL, but most are capped at 5gb per month.

I found this via google. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I found this via google. ne_nau.gif

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Halp!
    My up-to-date, Leopard-running Mac mini (Intel) had a kernel panic. I was using Firefox and it crashed. I tried rebooting it, and when I rebooted it (about 12 times), all I got was a blue screen, much like the BSOD. I am able to boot from the Leopard install DVD and run Disk Utility, but to no avail. The AppleCare phone support guy suggested I do an Archive and Install from the Leopard DVD, but there's not enough room on my HD for an Archive and Install installation.

Before I schlep the mini to the local Genius Bar, does anyone have any sage advice? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    My up-to-date, Leopard-running Mac mini (Intel) had a kernel panic. I was using Firefox and it crashed. I tried rebooting it, and when I rebooted it (about 12 times), all I got was a blue screen, much like the BSOD. I am able to boot from the Leopard install DVD and run Disk Utility, but to no avail. The AppleCare phone support guy suggested I do an Archive and Install from the Leopard DVD, but there's not enough room on my HD for an Archive and Install installation.

Before I schlep the mini to the local Genius Bar, does anyone have any sage advice? headscratch.gif

Are you backed up?

Do you have access to another Mac?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Are you backed up?

Do you have access to another Mac?

I am fully backed up clap.gif, and I have access to a PC (from which I am writing this).
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    I am fully backed up clap.gif, and I have access to a PC (from which I am writing this).

PC doesn't help with what I was thinking, which was booting into Firewire Target mode. Only Mac to Mac for that.

If you're fully backed up, then just erase and install and then restore from your back up.

But a kernel panic is 9x out of 10 a hardware issue, in my experience. If not more. It is really rare that it doesn't indicate the need to replace something.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    PC doesn't help with what I was thinking, which was booting into Firewire Target mode. Only Mac to Mac for that.

If you're fully backed up, then just erase and install and then restore from your back up.

But a kernel panic is 9x out of 10 a hardware issue, in my experience. If not more. It is really rare that it doesn't indicate the need to replace something.

Jeez I hope you're wrong...but my instinct says, you're right.:cry
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    Jeez I hope you're wrong...but my instinct says, you're right.:cry

How old is your Mac?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    How old is your Mac?

It's just over two years old...and I've had it worked on a LOT. Unfortunately. It's been really troublesome, which is weird because I've never had many issues with Apple hardware in the past.

But I guess if worse comes to worse, we can get that new MBP that I've been lusting after. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    It's just over two years old...and I've had it worked on a LOT. Unfortunately. It's been really troublesome, which is weird because I've never had many issues with Apple hardware in the past.

But I guess if worse comes to worse, we can get that new MBP that I've been lusting after. mwink.gif

Is it covered by AppleCare? If so, you may want to just take it in and have it repaired. You could even end up with a HD upgrade. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    be aware that your hard disk, with it's current (maybe private) data on it, may never come back to you.