I got it to work!!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/07/11/iphone.sales.ap/index.html

trouble for Iphone users!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Is it as spiffy as they say it is, Andy?
    nod.gif

I have a buncha cool apps, I dig AIM and twitterific on my iPhone - and of course, SmugShot!
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gif

I have a buncha cool apps, I dig AIM and twitterific on my iPhone - and of course, SmugShot!

twitterrific is probably the best designed iPhone app i've found. Really outstanding job.

Shazam is just black magic, and so cool.

Remote is just fun

and a tip: hold down the home and lock buttons to take a screenshot of your iPhone
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    With leopard ..how do i find the 'preferences' area for my mail ? Its the leopard standard mail i assume.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    iPhone 3G, who's got theirs? I went this morning and got mine, was in and out of the store in about 10mins and it's all set up already.

Wow it's SO much lighter, it feels like 1/2 the weight :)
    yes, I'm an Apple whore, ok ok

Still rockin' the "retro" version m'self. I'm sure I'll get upgraded sooner or later. Maybe later.

We can compare phones in about 6 weeks, Andy mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    gus wrote:
    With leopard ..how do i find the 'preferences' area for my mail ? Its the leopard standard mail i assume.

In Leopard, it's in mail.

Command-comma in all applications opens the preferences window. Or Mail->Preferences.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    My gut says that you are sending HTML formatted mail which is following the typical default of white text from SmugMug and you do not have a background. I am surprised that changing the colors does not work. I do not use Mail to know how to fix it. I am solely guessing based on the symptoms.
    ta-darrrrrrrrrr...fixed.

Mail Preferences/Composing and set message format to Plain Text
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Command-comma in all applications opens the preferences window.

*Except those coded by drain bamaged crack monkeys, or Adobe.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    *Except those coded by drain bamaged crack monkeys
    Can i apply for that position & is there medical/gym in it ?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:
    twitterrific is probably the best designed iPhone app i've found. Really outstanding job.

Shazam is just black magic, and so cool.

Remote is just fun

and a tip: hold down the home and lock buttons to take a screenshot of your iPhone

I added Google Talk, or GTalk, or whatever it is they call it. http://google.com/talk from your iphone, then save the bookmark to your home screen. deal.gif Not exactly an app, but close to it.

Where oh where is adium for the iPhone? :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    Oh, BTW: Shazam IS magic. I've managed to stump it, but I had to work hard at it. I put in some of my more esoteric reggae, and it got it. The one mistake it got right the second time at a different part of the same song. WOW. clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    How do i remove programmes of a mac ? Is there an area equiv to a PC's 'add/remove' where i can see them listed & delete them ?

Its an desktop widget (its on there twice) and a the odd other programme.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 17, 2008
    gus wrote:
    How do i remove programmes of a mac ? Is there an area equiv to a PC's 'add/remove' where i can see them listed & delete them ?

Its an desktop widget (its on there twice) and a the odd other programme.
    Just chuck it in the bin
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Just chuck it in the bin

No weird voodoo magic to uninstall?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    No weird voodoo magic to uninstall?

Not unless you consider "Empty Trash" to be weird voodoo magic. :D
    Travis
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Just chuck it in the bin
    Nup...that does not work.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Tossing an app in the trash bin works if the entire application is contained in one file. Many apps, including Apple apps like Final Cut, have various and sometimes rather sizable pieces of the app strewn around in other locations like Application Support. If the program is or installs kernel extensions or other non-application files (Parallels does this among others), you must use a developer-provided uninstaller or other manual removal method.

Unfortunately, if the developer does not provide an uninstaller, Mac OS X lacks a central Windows-like "Add or Remove Programs" to help with these tasks.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    Tossing an app in the trash bin works if the entire application is contained in one file.
    Tks CB..thats sort of what i was thinking. So i have 2 of the same weather widgets on my desktop & they are not in my widget section. How would you go about removing one of them ?
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    If you are talking about Dashboard widgets, when Dashboard is open, try this? Click the plus sign at the bottom left corner of the screen, then click Manage Widgets, then see if the two copies show up in the list, and click the minus sign to delete one.

If that does not work, then try looking in these two locations to delete the widget file manually:

[harddrive]/Library/Widgets
    [harddrive]/Users/[username]/Library/Widgets
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    OH.

MY.

I'm completely stunned by this.

I'm having problems running Final Cut Pro on my home system. Fair enough. Could be bad RAM, a bad firewire card, or many other things.

But in troubleshooting it I tried running it from a new user account (to eliminate any preferences issues or software conflicts).

Then, I got the following dialog. Each button does exactly the same thing as the other buttons: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Man, I'm ticked at Apple on this one. How ridiculous is this dialog?

20080720-eiegpyjmh5rb3kyt3hu1giunny.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 20, 2008
    Was this after an upgrade or did it just happen?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Was this after an upgrade or did it just happen?

I got it when I tried to run it in a new user account (troubleshooting step).

Anyway, no matter how I got there, or how I could fix it, that is the single stupidest dialog box EVER. :ptptptptptptpt :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 20, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I got it when I tried to run it in a new user account (troubleshooting step).

Anyway, no matter how I got there, or how I could fix it, that is the single stupidest dialog box EVER. :ptptptptptptpt :D

Stoopit or useless. i prefer useless.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    OH.

MY.

I'm completely stunned by this.

I'm having problems running Final Cut Pro on my home system. Fair enough. Could be bad RAM, a bad firewire card, or many other things.

But in troubleshooting it I tried running it from a new user account (to eliminate any preferences issues or software conflicts).

Then, I got the following dialog. Each button does exactly the same thing as the other buttons: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Man, I'm ticked at Apple on this one. How ridiculous is this dialog?

20080720-eiegpyjmh5rb3kyt3hu1giunny.jpg

Laughing.gif.

David, I think something's wrong. I just don't know what. But that does not look like a standard Final Cut Pro dialog. And Apple's HIG specifically forbid "Yes, No, Cancel" dialog boxes... because they suck, and because they are not clear. So I really don't know what's going on there.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Laughing.gif.

David, I think something's wrong. I just don't know what. But that does not look like a standard Final Cut Pro dialog. And Apple's HIG specifically forbid "Yes, No, Cancel" dialog boxes... because they suck, and because they are not clear. So I really don't know what's going on there.

I knew that about the yes, no, cancel. It's definitely something under the hood, not intended for public consumption.

They got an earful from me, that's for sure! mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited July 22, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I knew that about the yes, no, cancel. It's definitely something under the hood, not intended for public consumption.

Maybe they're just trying to make recent Windows converts feel welcome. :D
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Maybe they're just trying to make recent Windows converts feel welcome. :D

Home sweet home! :D

My zen didn't work on my mac, so I got an ipod touch. :cry:D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    XP to OS-X Migration Tools
    Anybody know of a good, free tool to migrate data from Windows to a Mac? Simple files aren't a problem--I'll just use an external drive or the LAN--but I would like to move Firefox bookmarks, cookies, passwords and settings as well as Thunderbird addresses and mailboxes without having to hunt all over a new filesystem to figure out where they are supposed to go. Just to clarify, FF and Tbird will also be on the new machine.

Thx.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Anybody know of a good, free tool to migrate data from Windows to a Mac? Simple files aren't a problem--I'll just use an external drive or the LAN--but I would like to move Firefox bookmarks, cookies, passwords and settings as well as Thunderbird addresses and mailboxes without having to hunt all over a new filesystem to figure out where they are supposed to go. Just to clarify, FF and Tbird will also be on the new machine.

Thx.

Richard: I migrated FF from Windows to Mac easily. I simply installed FF on the Mac. Then I copied the entire FF default profile directory from my Windows PC the the Mac. Everything came over including add-ons.

Rather than typing it all in, I found this via Google that saves me the time of typing, but this is what I did. Simply copy FROM the Windows directory listed, and TO the Mac directory listed. Install FF on Mac first.

I do not remember doing the terminal command, as I had not launched FF on the Mac, and I believe I deleted any profile that was there to begin with. ( but I may have, don't recall):

Here’s how to do it (from the Mozilla knowledge base):
    1. Completely close Firefox
    2. Copy the profile folder to wherever you want to store it. You can copy it anywhere except the application’s program directory.
      1. Windows XP
        1. C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\
      2. Windows Vista
        1. C:\Users\<Windows login/user name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\
      3. Mac OSX
        1. ~/Library/Application Support/
    3. Start the Profile Manager:
      1. Windows:
        1. Go to Start > Run
        2. Type in “firefox.exe -profilemanager” and hit enter
      2. Mac OS X:
        1. Open Terminal
        2. Type in “/Applications/firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -profilemanager” and hit enter
    4. Click on “Create Profile…” and, in the dialog that opens, enter a descriptive name for the profile you copied.
    5. Click on the “Choose Folder…” button. A “Browse for Folder” dialog will open.
    6. Select the profile folder you copied and click OK.
    7. Review the path shown in the “Completing the Create Profile Wizard” dialog to make sure it is correct, then click “Finish” to create the new profile.
    8. Select the new profile and press the Start button to start Firefox using the moved profile.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    Thanks, Cmason. thumb.gif