Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Click on the popup menu in the finder. Then look for the card name. It will probably look something like /dev/diskX
    Thats the first thing i tried...it always calls itself EOS & that is returning a big fat zero. This is such an easy process on a PC.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 27, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Yes..but where is it im asking ?? What is the direction of search ? Finder is useless.
    Dunno mate, if it doesn't just show up in finder, there isn't anywhere else, that I know of, to look. Maybe some fancy command line code stuff, but not a simple clicky pointy way.
    ne_nau.gif

20080427-negcaw3q9k22dhiney6snuf6xy.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Thats the first thing i tried...it always calls itself EOS & that is returning a big fat zero. This is such an easy process on a PC.
    Have you recently started using a new, higher capacity storage card in the reader by any chance? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Oh come on, its simple on a Mac too, you've got some weirdness.

Do you have any usb memory sticks or some other usb thing you can plug in to see if you have a buggy card reader connection, or (even less likely) a flaky USB port?
    Erik

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 27, 2008
    gus wrote:

Hmm...I haven't used a Mac in a few years, but IIRC, the card also ought to appear as an icon on the desktop when you plug it in. Oh yeah, I think you may also have to have a card in the reader. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Have you recently started using a new, higher capacity storage card in the reader by any chance? ne_nau.gif
    nup...same stuff ive always used.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Dunno mate, if it doesn't just show up in finder, there isn't anywhere else, that I know of, to look. Maybe some fancy command line code stuff, but not a simple clicky pointy way.
    ne_nau.gif

20080427-negcaw3q9k22dhiney6snuf6xy.jpg
    Im not getting that which you have pointed out. Ill have to dig out my other card reader & see if it wants to play. Maybe the card reader is on the way out even though its only a few months old. Its light is coming on though.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Oh yeah, I think you may also have to have a card in the reader. ne_nau.gif
    Serious ? It wont work with out the card in it ?
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    That was it. Card reader died. My old one is working fine. Had me stumped as its been hit & miss for a while & the readers light would always light up.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Nope :D

And to be clear, sorry, my graphic was misleading. I renamed my card "Card Reader" for the purpose of that screen grab.
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    gus wrote:
    It might not see the reader without a card. The card is what looks like a disk to the computer, not the reader. At least that's the way it works in Windows. Maybe OS-X is smarter, ne_nau.gif.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    It might not see the reader without a card. The card is what looks like a disk to the computer, not the reader. At least that's the way it works in Windows. Maybe OS-X is smarter, ne_nau.gif.
    I was pulling your leg.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:

You are right. I just tried mine. It won't mount without a volume to mount; a reader is not a volume but a card is.

Also, if a card is in a plugged-in reader but you don't see it, you might check your Finder Preferences since you can suppress display of some media types in the sidebar. Regardless of the Finder setting, if the reader and card are working, then you'll see them in OS X Image Capture utility, Adobe Bridge, and other apps that recognize card readers, which is a way to cross-check things.

The point being that the Finder is not the ultimate test of successful card mounting, because it's possible for everything to be working "right" and yet the card doesn't show up in the Finder due to settings.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:

Oops, I take that back. XP will see a reader without a card, but will not let you open it, as there is nothing to open. I think Win2K didn't see it at all.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    I think it also depends on what type of card reader you use. I have a backup card reader (Jobo brand) in case my main card reader dies. When I plug this into my machine, it recognizes all the volumes when when it's empty (no memory card inserted) As soon as I plug an SD or CF card in, it just changes the designation of the volume to whatever the memory source is.

My nice card reader isn't recognized until I have a card inserted as well.

Running Vista, but I'm pretty sure this is hardware that drives this, not the OS.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I think it also depends on what type of card reader you use. I have a backup card reader (Jobo brand) in case my main card reader dies. When I plug this into my machine, it recognizes all the volumes when when it's empty (no memory card inserted) As soon as I plug an SD or CF card in, it just changes the designation of the volume to whatever the memory source is.

My nice card reader isn't recognized until I have a card inserted as well.

Running Vista, but I'm pretty sure this is hardware that drives this, not the OS.

nod.gif yup, exactly the same here with my main cf only reader, and my backup 4-in-1. My Mac and my inlaws' windows xp box are the same.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

I would hate that and can't imagine why in the world you would ever want such a "feature".
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I would hate that and can't imagine why in the world you would ever want such a "feature".
    I don't like it either. But not liking it doesn't stop it from happening. Just showing this is less of an OS thing and more hardware.

Had a chance to see if the results were the same on my MacBook running Leopard. Same thing. My backup card reader mounts all three volumes (3 separate card reader types in one) and my primary only mounts if media is in the reader itself.
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    it *should* appear on your desktop as a separate drive. If that fails, you can try looking through Disk Utility. You may be able to "see" it there even if it doesn't mount. Try verifying it or repairing permissions on it.

These sorts of actions will act on the card in the reader but if there is a problem between the reader and the computer this probably won't help. ne_nau.gif
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    Thought the Mac heads would get a kick out of this.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thought the Mac heads would get a kick out of this.

Thought that was cool, and since MS makes the leading Mac software, don't think it all that hypocritcal. But, if you read the comments on the poster's Flickr site, this one clarifies things (of course that won't stop this from becoming a well distributed legend I predict)

"However, it turns out that he wasn't the one using it. It was being used by the organisers for the presentations, and Ballmer's happened to be one of them"

"I was there and I have to say that there WAS a leftover Mac from a non MS speaker. The 2 previous presenters used it for their keynotes. Ballmer didn't use a computer at all, it was just an automatic slide."
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    Ok...I need a step by step method to burn a DVD with an iMac running leopard please. Using the macs own software please.

Or if not then can someone please tell me how to find my USB storage pen ? I plug it in & nothing comes up on the bloody screen.

Man ive been at this all day googling etc & i need to get photos to punters tomorrow morning.(edit...tried another USB port & the device showed its head)

Man im over this. I love the mac but its a bloody nuisance to find anything on.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Ok...I need a step by step method to burn a DVD with an iMac running leopard please. Using the macs own software please.

Or if not then can someone please tell me how to find my USB storage pen ? I plug it in & nothing comes up on the bloody screen.

Man ive been at this all day googling etc & i need to get photos to punters tomorrow morning.(edit...tried another USB port & the device showed its head)

Man im over this. I love the mac but its a bloody nuisance to find anything on.

Gus, I assume you are needing to copy files onto a CD/DVD vs say burn a movie.

An easy way to do this I found it to use Burn Folders. Just click on the desktop, and when Finder appears in the top bar, choose File> New Burn Folder. This will drop a new folder on your desktop. Simply drag whatever files you want on the CD into this folder. Note that it will NOT copy the files into the folder, only alias's. Thats ok, it will get fixed later, don't worry. When you are done adding files, simply open the folder and click the Burn button on the right hand side. Pop in a blank CD/DVD and away you go.

As for the USB key, I have had trouble finding my USB key when I attach it to a USB hub. When I connect it to a port on the back of the iMac or to the spare port on my keyboard, it works fine. (the keyboard port is a slow USB 1.1 port I think, so don't move lots of files through this one)
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    Ok...i think ive got it burning...i think i needed to put the folder of the jpegs into a 'burn folder'

Anyway now the bloody USB storage pen is ratshit again. If its a port then it can go back under warranty.

Tks guys.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Gus, I assume you are needing to copy files onto a CD/DVD vs say burn a movie.

An easy way to do this I found it to use Burn Folders. Just click on the desktop, and when Finder appears in the top bar, choose File> New Burn Folder. This will drop a new folder on your desktop. Simply drag whatever files you want on the CD into this folder. Note that it will NOT copy the files into the folder, only alias's. Thats ok, it will get fixed later, don't worry. When you are done adding files, simply open the folder and click the Burn button on the right hand side. Pop in a blank CD/DVD and away you go.

As for the USB key, I have had trouble finding my USB key when I attach it to a USB hub. When I connect it to a port on the back of the iMac or to the spare port on my keyboard, it works fine. (the keyboard port is a slow USB 1.1 port I think, so don't move lots of files through this one)
    Cool mate....i am burning atm (jpegs to DVD) I dont know how im doing it but its working. Dead tired so will digest your post tomorrow...tks heaps.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 6, 2008
    Imac G5 question
    Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area. I am about to purchase an Imac G5 used and was wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge of any imparent issues.
    it was new in 06 has tiger os 10.4, 1.5 g's ram, 2.0 processor.
    Any information, experiences would be gratefully helpfull, as I am Switching from pc to mac.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    barrotj wrote:
    Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area. I am about to purchase an Imac G5 used and was wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge of any imparent issues.
    it was new in 06 has tiger os 10.4, 1.5 g's ram, 2.0 processor.
    Any information, experiences would be gratefully helpfull, as I am Switching from pc to mac.

My advice: do not get a G5. Get an Intel iMac. G5 will not run Windows, and in switching, having the ability to run windows in the iMac is a huge benefit/relief.

The G5s are PowerPC based. All the new macs are Intel based. I have no experience with the PowerPC machines, but am told the Intel ones are far faster.

Check our the refurbs on the Apple store: they have Intel machines on the cheap: 20" white Intel is $949, the 24" is $1,199.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 6, 2008
    Thanks for the information, This is some of what I was wondering about. Anyone else have .02 cents to offer?
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    Edit: thread moved, thanks!!
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    My advice: do not get a G5. Get an Intel iMac. G5 will not run Windows, and in switching, having the ability to run windows in the iMac is a huge benefit/relief.
    Depending if hardware or software floats your boat..
    The new AMD supported OS build will allow a user to install OS X on a PC if the hardware is compatible and if your the adventurous type. I have a MacBook, but I now run Vista, Ubuntu & OS X off the same machine. (Blows my friends minds when I fire my machine up and the Apple wheel starts spinning:D)

The Apple EULA says that it's OS is only allowed to run on a certified Mac. But if your just doing it for research purposes..

Be warned though. If your not comfy w/ Terminal. Don't try this. The install can be buggy and requires you to configure the Kernel and other things depending on your hardware configuration. After you get it running though. All is well.

More here.

The following is a quote from one of the resources when I was reading. I can not attribute to it's validity or accuracy.

Various hackers have released hacked ISO torrents that can be installed on PCs. However, this violates the Apple EULA agreement and there are legal issues with using the ISOs. The legal ways to obtain a copy would be:

1) Become an Apple Developer ($500 membership)

2) Buy a real mac, deactivate the copy of OS X and install it on a PC (this way would be pointless because the whole point is to run OS X without getting a mac). This way also somewhat violates the EULA because the agreement says that you can't run OS X on non-Apple hardware.

Its best to get a legal copy of the ISO because then you can install the software without worry about malicious software or about the software phoning home.