Options

11:49 ET - Is Smug MugDown? Outage Update

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited August 8, 2008 in SmugMug Support
EDIT from SmugMug: Updates, here: http://smugmug.wordpress.com

Or is it me? (everything else on my computer loads fine)
Just wondering. (checked again - still only loading about 80%, then stops)

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I'm only getting ? right now too - Safari as my browser if that makes a difference. Sadly, I was trying to confirm and place an order too.

ann
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I'm only getting ? right now too - Safari as my browser if that makes a difference. Sadly, I was trying to confirm and place an order too.

ann

I'm on IE6 - would love to upload a big batch of photos, get them started before I leave for the afternoon.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I'm on Firefox 3.0 - my album is not loading either . . .
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Problems here too :cry
  • Options
    jmpsmashjmpsmash Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    same here. album can be opened, but the photos in there are not loading.
  • Options
    jhmjcmjhmjcm Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I just uploaded a small (11 photo) gallery and now cannot get my home page to reload. :cry
  • Options
    gundoggundog Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Ditto here. Get about an 80% download and done. Been a tough week or so it seems.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    working on it, have alterted the engineers, hang on folks, thanks.
  • Options
    KurtKuhnKurtKuhn Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    17 minutes after a the first forum post, and you guys are already on it.

Outstanding. clap.gif

-KK
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I assume it's still in trouble? Bummer bigtime. I've got several ebay auctions going that end today. To new bidders they won't see my photos of the products I'm hosting on smugmug and to people that already bid, it may look suspicious to them that all of a sudden all the product photos are gone. :cry

P.S. At least if they could get some kind of "photo not found" error message, that would be better than nothing so they know there's a problem.
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Great Job Andy & Crew. I do have a questions on the systems though...can you tell me what kind of site and system redundancy is in place for auto failover if an outage occurs?
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    MacLoyalMacLoyal Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I hope it's something that can be fixed easily and quickly
    I'm glad to have this forum to check into when something like this happens. I'm getting 'photo not found' messages when it finally shows the new gallery page I just uploaded. I deleted one of those 'not found' photos thinking that was holding up the rest of the gallery. I won't do that to anymore and see if they are restored when this is resolved.

I wanted to upload some more but I can work on editing in Aperture until things are functioning again.

Only one of the six photos of the banner at the top of this page is there. The rest are saying 'photo not found.' I don't like the site being down but at least I have some comfort in knowing it's not just me.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    kygarden wrote:
    I assume it's still in trouble? Bummer bigtime. I've got several ebay auctions going that end today. To new bidders they won't see my photos of the products I'm hosting on smugmug and to people that already bid, it may look suspicious to them that all of a sudden all the product photos are gone. :cry

P.S. At least if they could get some kind of "photo not found" error message, that would be better than nothing so they know there's a problem.

I know what you mean. I just uploaded the test shots for a client's wedding and left them a message to go and check them out. :(
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 20, 2008
    KurtKuhn wrote:
    17 minutes after a the first forum post, and you guys are already on it.

Outstanding. clap.gif

-KK

We have been on it for awhile. =)

It looks initially to be mostly an Amazon problem, specifically with their Simple Storage Service. We are trying to get more details and get stuff working again.

Sorry folks!
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    pabsterpabster Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    I know what you mean. I just uploaded the test shots for a client's wedding and left them a message to go and check them out. :(

This is disturbing, to say the least. I'm still in my free trial of SmugMug but this doesn't provide much confidence in it. I thought they used Amazon S3 for storage and redundancy?
  • Options
    jinspinjinspin Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Website is slow and Photo Not Found error from customer
    Today the smug website is slow and customer is getting Photo Not Found when they click in gallery. Whats happening here?

Also anyone try to view my website http://SweetDreamsStudio.smugmug.com through internet explorer?
    Are the pictures really slow or coming up at all?
    What should I advise my customers if they use IE and they cannot view the gallery?
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    pabster wrote:
    This is disturbing, to say the least. I'm still in my free trial of SmugMug but this doesn't provide much confidence in it. I thought they used Amazon S3 for storage and redundancy?

If it helps, as far as I recall this is the first unplanned outage I've seen in the entire time that I've been hosting with them.

They will get it back up.

:)
  • Options
    flownmuseflownmuse Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Sitting tight, here... what a shock to see my photos missing! I'm sure it'll be resolved soon, given the speedy response time.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 20, 2008
    I have found several of my albums...
    that have 90% of the pics missing or saying the image cannot be found. I have also notice some of your lil face guys over here
    >ne_nau.gif is missing on the reply box. Are we evaporating?
    Seriously I am glad to see you guys are trying to hunt down the problems even on a Sunday.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    pabster wrote:
    Just bad timing for you - Smugmug is highly reliable. Your data is safe and you won't find better customer service anywhere.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 20, 2008
    pabster wrote:

Bad timing for us/you and I sincerely apologize. The problem is with Amazon this morning and is a very rare occurrence for them.

You can check our status updates here: http://smugmug.wordpress.com/2008/07/20/amazon-s3-outage-causes-smugmug-outage/
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Augh...........I'm loading files from this weekends softball tourney.....is this going to corrupt the files I'm loading right now like it did last week?? Had to reload 80 to 100 shots then.
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    bhowdybhowdy Registered Users Posts: 658 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I am happy to find out that the problem is not in something that I was doing.

Now as for Smugmug reliability .... While I have only hosted my images on Smugmug for a short time, the experience has been nothing but positive! I recently upgraded my account status because I was so satisfied. I have tried flickr, better photo and dbase, as well as a couple of others .... Smugmug is the best!

Thanks to the Smugmug folks that are working hard to resolve the problem on Sunday! clap.gif

Bob
    Maryville, TN.

http://bhowdy.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    txsapphotxsappho Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    Bendr wrote:
    If it helps, as far as I recall this is the first unplanned outage I've seen in the entire time that I've been hosting with them.

They will get it back up.

:)

I agree. SmugMug has always been reliable. Unfortunately today they are at the mercy of something not directly in their control - Amazon's services - which unfortunately is frustrating not only for us but for them. I was very pleased to see how quickly they reacted to the posts and reported the issue. They are on top of their game. I, for one, am one happy customer. The internet is not perfect. I can find other things to do until the system is back and so can my clients. - Good Job SmugMug! clap.gif
  • Options
    GaryDGaryD Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    customers
    i hope my customers aren't trying to buy their wedding and family beach photos. dang.

dbaker1221 wrote:
    Augh...........I'm loading files from this weekends softball tourney.....is this going to corrupt the files I'm loading right now like it did last week?? Had to reload 80 to 100 shots then.
  • Options
    pabsterpabster Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    txsappho wrote:
    I agree. SmugMug has always been reliable. Unfortunately today they are at the mercy of something not directly in their control - Amazon's services - which unfortunately is frustrating not only for us but for them. I was very pleased to see how quickly they reacted to the posts and reported the issue. They are on top of their game. I, for one, am one happy customer. The internet is not perfect. I can find other things to do until the system is back and so can my clients. - Good Job SmugMug! clap.gif

Perhaps such an attitude is fine for a free site, but SmugMug is not free. And considering many are professionals selling their work... I realize crap happens and all but perhaps they need to look at their systems and get it shored up. I'd be pretty steemed if I were losing money because of it, rather than a few family members missing out on some photos.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    pabster wrote:
    Don't be disturbed by it - outages happen, you just lucked into the wrong timing. We've had an an extraordinary record of uptime over the years, one that I'll stack against any site out there.

Outages happen. But your photos are safe here. We'll be back online as soon as possible, and believe me, we don't like this any more than you do :(

Sorry for the hassle today!
  • Options
    PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Wow . . . it appears that support is doing everything they can. Some comments are a tad harsh. There is no such thing as perfection and problems can and will arise. It's how fast and earnest the response is in such situations. And that is where Smugmug is hard to beat . . .

Peter
  • Options
    ApictureofWhat?ApictureofWhat? Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    pabster wrote:
    Perhaps such an attitude is fine for a free site, but SmugMug is not free. And considering many are professionals selling their work... I realize crap happens and all but perhaps they need to look at their systems and get it shored up. I'd be pretty steemed if I were losing money because of it, rather than a few family members missing out on some photos.

Agree, I just joined for an upcoming event. I've got allot of money and time invested in just this one shoot. If problems occur next week, I'll lose a very important revenue stream!! Hopefully it gets fixed quickly and correctly.
  • Options
    elguevonelguevon Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    pabster wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I am a new SmugMug Pro user and within the past month myself and my customers have encountered frequent "technical error" messages that has hindered either my ability to upload/control pictures or their ability to purchase. Maybe Smugmug has had a run of bad luck lately, but if this rate of technical issues continues I will been forced to look elsewhere.