Options

11:49 ET - Is Smug MugDown? Outage Update

Comments

• Options
    rickstrickst Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy, believe me I know what you're going through--I deal with crisis sitautions on a daily basis, some of them involving some of the largest corporations in the world. I usually can't control the situation, either. But, I have to committ to a time/date for Corrective/Preventive Action.
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    WOW...headscratch.gif
    My life was changed forever on 09/11/01.

A day without Smugmug..I'm breathing, my heart is beating, life is good.

SmugMug peeps work harder than you will ever know to bring you near perfect service.

If your life has been affected so much by this outage then it is you who needs to make some changes in how you conduct business.

These things happen and will continue to happen on all servers. I don't remember ever reading anything that stated the service will NEVER be interrupted.
  • Options
    ShaneJShaneJ Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    I'm back up! Partially, at least!
  • Options
    XanderturesXandertures Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I'd have to agree. In this tech kind of world we live in, these types of things happen. While it would be nice to upload some photos today, my life will still go on and there is always tomorrow. In my opinion the great service SM provides far outweighs a one day outage.
    Nikon D750 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G | SB-700 & 2 SB-600's - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    pabsterpabster Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Trish323 wrote:
    If your life has been affected so much by this outage then it is you who needs to make some changes

I suspect many will, and it won't be beneficial to SmugMug.

Business is business.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    OK, I can no longer resist.

I am an organization effectiveness psychologist for the defense industry where there is much more at stake than photographs, i.e. national security. I can tell you, that as far as organizational effectiveness is concerned, Smug Mug is at the top of my list in customer service and excellence, not to mention integrity. This is not to minimize the fact that many of us have serious customer issues as a result of this major inconvenience, but I am absolutely appreciative of Smug Mug's dedication to excellence. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    and thank you Andy for keeping us all up to speed on the latest developments bowdown.gif
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    ShaneJ wrote:

Yep, in read only. Thanks Andy. I know it's been a long day for you and your folks. And it's probably not over.
  • Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    ShaneJ wrote:

Yup. I'm back too!

8:25 p.m. ET
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We, SmugMug, we're still working on bringing things back up.

Hang in there folks, yes, it's been a long day and again, we're very sorry for the outage. We appreciate your patience, you are all amazingly patient.
    Aaaaaaaaaand we're up in Read Only Mode

http://www.smugmug.com/

We'll be checking things out, giving the site a physical exam and we'll restore full service as soon as possible.
  • Options
    PKBPKB Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    Trish323 wrote:
    WOW...headscratch.gif

SmugMug peeps work harder than you will ever know to bring you near perfect service.

If your life has been affected so much by this outage then it is you who needs to make some changes in how you conduct business.

These things happen and will continue to happen on all servers. I don't remember ever reading anything that stated the service will NEVER be interrupted.

You have obviously misunderstood the point of many of the contributors here - the issue we are having is the failure of smugmug to answer questions.

How long will it be? - How long is a peice of string. I can accept downtime. i cannot accept lack of timescale on when the problem will be fixed.
  • Options
    shooter210shooter210 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, thanks for posting.

How can I answer what I don't know?

I do know that our engineers are working as fast as superhumanely possible and we won't stop till things are back up.

I'm not going to say a time estimate only to have it be missed. There are thousands of people viewing this thread that would be very disappointed, you included, I imagine.

Let us get to it, I promise it'll be as fast as we can and not one second longer.

I wish I had a better, more precise answer for you.

I think he was asking for a estimate not a guarantee. Give an estimate and if it goes over come on here and give another and apologize for being wrong. If someone says "BUT YOU SAID!!!" then explain to them it was an estimate...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    not hard is it<o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    as soon as possible.

is that an estimate or a guarantee?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I need a new electric company....I lose my electricity on the average of at least 5 times every month....today alone it was out at 2 am and did not return until dang near noon and there were no storms or crashes into utility poles.....it just stops working and Westar Enrgy will not give a reason....infact you cannot talk to a real person except during the week and then it is almost an hour of runing thru different menus and every effing one starts off with for english press one.....the Last I counted 33 menus I had to work thru to get one that fnally said to speak top a customer service rep press 0....but then you ahd input your address, phone number and ?Westar account number.....and I had done all of that on the first 5 menus.....it is simply a ploy to make us the customer not want to talk to a person.......and they know they have you by the Kahunas ..................

At least SM talks to their customers and lets us know what is going on.....thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    emtp563emtp563 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Throw the switch Andy, everything seems to be back on-line at Amazon: http://status.aws.amazon.com/

**Image hosted by Flickr** :eek1

2686658829_d9fc75484c_o.jpg
    My SmugMug site: http://www.cyclingcaptured.com

Canon EOS 1D & 1D Mark II
    Speedlite 580EX II & 430EX
    Canon 50mm 1.8
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS
    Canon 16-35L f/2.8
    Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I'm up
    I'm back, read only.clap.gifclap
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Trish323 wrote:
    WOW...headscratch.gif

For me, this has nothing to do with my life being so affected by this outage. This is a business issue, plain and simple. While having the system up 98.8% of the time may seem to be a very high success rate, an airline certainly couldn't live with that kind of success rate (figure the number of deaths per million flyers at a rate of 1.2%). The amount of uptime for a system like SM is an indication of the quality of the service and, at least in the manufacturing sector, 1.2% failures is unacceptable.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 20, 2008
    shooter210 wrote:
    I think he was asking for a estimate not a guarantee. Give an estimate and if it goes over come on here and give another and apologize for being wrong. If someone says "BUT YOU SAID!!!" then explain to them it was an estimate...<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    not hard is it<o:p></o:p>

The issue is that for most of the outage, there was simply nothing we could do. We were twiddling our thumbs and waiting on Amazon. We had no way of knowing how fast they would fix the problem other than the updates on http://status.aws.amazon.com/.

We are right now in read-only mode and confirming that the Amazon stuff is indeed fixed and should shortly be resuming full service.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    PKB wrote:
    You have obviously misunderstood the point of many of the contributors here - the issue we are having is the failure of smugmug to answer questions.
    I'm sorry is there a question I've failed to answer?

How long will it be? - How long is a peice of string. I can accept downtime. i cannot accept lack of timescale on when the problem will be fixed.
    I have answered this question, several times - I'm sorry you don't like the answer :(

I really am sorry I couldn't be more precise, and I know it's really important to you as you've posted a few times.

I'm really, really, sorry :(
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    PKB wrote:

I have misunderstood nothing.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I hope it's minutes, not hours

It was minutes, after Amazon restored their service. Thank you all.
    Folks we're back to full service.
  • Options
    alduinalduin Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    That's 1.2% for the month. Stretch that out to the year, or the past few years and you'll be seeing a lot more nines.
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    cdonovan wrote:
    That's a little extreme in my opinion. It's the internet, anything can happen, there are no guarantees

Good hosts do provide guarantees, something like 99.9% uptime or you get a full or partial refund.
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    If your livelihood is that dependent on your web host, then you should have a redundancy plan of your own to cope with any outage. The internet is at best an "iffy" place and the IT world is a magic bubble where it works when it works and doesn't when it doesn't.

Demanding that SmugMug have alternate storage or a mirror site does not count as your redundancy plan neither does complaining.

You are in control of your own destiny...have a backup site and reroute your URL.
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    My site is upwings.gif

Thanks Smug clap.gif

Never doubted for a mintue you wouldn't follow this thru for all of us on smugmug.
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    YAY!!!

It's nice to be back!

Thanks for all your hard work smugmug!
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Hey Andy!
    Andy wrote:
    ...I'm really, really, sorry :(
    When I was a child, I used to live across the road from a poultry farm. The farmer's name was Hank. He had a saying that's done me a lot of good over the years. Hank used to say:

'Don't let the turkeys get'cha down..."
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy, what's done is done, and can't be undone. I think the expectation is a good explanation of what happened, why it happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening in the future. I don't do business using SM, so the outage doesn't affect me (much).

But for those who are doing business using SM, how SM addresses the outage will be critical.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Erick L wrote:
    Good hosts do provide guarantees, something like 99.9% uptime or you get a full or partial refund.

So go and find the sob at Amazon who flipped the wrong switch that did such an injustice to you and your business.

I had 10 plus emails today from people wondering what was wrong with my gallery. I told them it was a glitch, trust that the pictures will return and that you'll be able to make purchases as soon as humanly possible. People are more understanding than you seem to trust, explain it's not your fault, blame the people who caused the problem if that makes you feel better, but believe me, if you show distrust in who you do business with, your clients are going to pick up on it and consider if you are not satisfied, then why should I feel safe and secure with my purchase, and perhaps move on to someone/something else.

I understand your frustration, believe me, and when I first joined SM and didn't understand or know how fully I should trust them, I panicked when I encountered the first outage, I was upset and wanted someone to be accountable and it turns out that they were. If you want the guarantee of no outages or technical glitches or errors then you'd better haul all your stuff offline and start travelling door to door. Trust me, this is not worth getting your shorts in a knot over. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    SunGlo wrote:
    If your livelihood is that dependent on your web host, then you should have a redundancy plan of your own to cope with any outage. The internet is at best and "iffy" place and the IT world is a magic bubble where it works when it works and doesn't when it doesn't.

Couldn't have said it better. I have another site that hosts Coppermine software, and my Smuggy site is more or less reflected in the other site (same photos, same categories, just no commerce ability). A few mouse clicks and my Coppermine-based site and Smuggy site have the same images. If one goes down, I can steer traffic to the other.

(Actually, the Coppermine site pre-dates my Smuggy site, and I spent a couple of years trying to smoothly work commerce off it. Didn't work. Then along came Smuggy and I'm much happier now).

The internet isn't perfect. Between ISP's being down and hosts being down and a plethora of other potential problems, a "Plan B" is always essential (and Plans C-J couldn't hurt).

Thanks for getting us back so soon on a weekend, SmugTeam!
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:
    The issue is that for most of the outage, there was simply nothing we could do. We were twiddling our thumbs and waiting on Amazon. We had no way of knowing how fast they would fix the problem other than the updates on http://status.aws.amazon.com/.

We are right now in read-only mode and confirming that the Amazon stuff is indeed fixed and should shortly be resuming full service.

I know it was never your fault. But you still could have given an estimate.

Even if you said right now

"Full service should be up in 2 hours, this is only an estimate."

Then I could go water the grass and not sit here reading your post. I come back in 2 hours and if it's not up I ask again what your ESTIMATE is.

This has nothing to do with a guarantee.