Options

11:49 ET - Is Smug MugDown? Outage Update

Comments

• Options
    GaryDGaryD Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    I'm in the same boat. I've got two current clients that I just hope won't be checking my site anytime during this outage. I also love Smugmug for many reasons, but, yikes. Hope it comes up real soon.
    gman33 wrote:

The only reason I am upset now because I had a huge potential client wanting to check out my pictures today and they got the error message..I know, bad timing, and I explained to them that this has not happened for several years.

ne_nau.gif

Thanks
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy,

Is the vault service you offer also involved in this outage?

I have been toying with the idea of storing my RAW files in online, but quite honestly I never even considered an outage situation.

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    raulpeschraulpesch Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Stuff like this happens in de digital age and in the future this will most likely increase because of the increased number of dependencies (Smugmug photo site on Amazon back-end with Paypal payments etc.). I can live with some hours of unplanned downtime, just hope my pictures are safe.
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Flickr has gone down before too FWIW...

David

Oh I know.
    Just an ongoing thing with the camera club I belong to.
    They love flickr because its cheaper and more sociable. I always have positive things to say about SM. It still can't be beat. Once its up and running, there will be a mad rush of people to get weekend photo's up I wonder how much SM can handle.
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    omgitsacameraomgitsacamera Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    The internet isn't perfect, if it was, we'd all be running our own websites on the scale of smugmug's in which it handles thousands of gigabytes a day.

I've been with smug for nearly a year now and this is the only time that an unplanned outage has occurred, but it is with Amazon S3, not smug. It might be luck that this happened whilst a big client was looking at a shoot or you are trying out the service, but it might be just that, luck. People shouldn't jump the gun and start canceling the service the second that it gets back online just because of this one incident. Whining and threatening to pull out isn't going to make the problem go away faster.

Anyways, I really have to commend smugmug and amazon for a quick response to the problem and I hope it gets resolved soon.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    This sounds worse than originally reported

http://jmkgreen.wordpress.com/2008/07/20/amazon-s3-outage/

Jungledisk, Twitter and WordPress all being affected
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    flownmuseflownmuse Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    http://www.jpgmag.com/

They seem to be down as well, I wonder if it's the same issue.
  • Options
    RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Ya... i was gonna spend this rainy Sunday working on my online photos.... (i started to and the service got cut)... :cry :cry :cry ... Don't worry smuggy, i still love you! clap.gif
  • Options
    gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    This might be the best excuse to offer for FREE those red SM hats to everyone

HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Montec wrote:
    This sounds worse than originally reported

http://jmkgreen.wordpress.com/2008/07/20/amazon-s3-outage/

Jungledisk, Twitter and WordPress all being affected
    Not worse, all the same, just that Amazon has lots of customers.
  • Options
    rickstrickst Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    2:36 PM PDT We have restored all internal communication across Amazon S3 hosts. We have started the multi-step process to begin accepting requests across Amazon S3 locations.

hope this means we're near the end of this...
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    SunGlo wrote:
    Andy,

Is the vault service you offer also involved in this outage?

I have been toying with the idea of storing my RAW files in online, but quite honestly I never even considered an outage situation.

Phil
    Our SmugVault is on Amazon S3, and so yes it's out too. But the vault files are safe and sound.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I'm cool with my site being down. In two years, this is the first let's say "extended" outage, and its ok. I'm not happy, but I'm not going to overreact either.

That said, the "cartoon" currently replacing my site is quite unprofessional, it is definitely not reflective of the image I've built with my target audience and current client base. eek7.gif

Come on guys, I know you have a lighthearted, coy-voiced business model, but this is a bit much.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    spalding12spalding12 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Our SmugVault is on Amazon S3, and so yes it's out too. But the vault files are safe and sound.
    how much more time, andy?
    tons of folks over at nikon cafe losing money after shooting weddings yesterday
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    gman33 wrote:

I am really hoping that SM changes from S3.

So you'd want us to go with less reliable, less backed-up, less redundant, less speedy, less scalable and more costly infrastructure?

Say it isn't so!
  • Options
    DmitrySDmitryS Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I want to play devil's advocate.
    According to Amazon's S3 service agreement:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=379654011
    Amazon will credit Smugmug 25% of the total monthly charges.
    Provided Smugmug points to Amazon as the reason for downtime, should Smugmug users receive credit too?
    Otherwise Smugmug will even benefit financially when S3 is down.
  • Options
    pabsterpabster Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    So you'd want us to go with less reliable, less backed-up, less redundant, less speedy, less scalable and more costly infrastructure?

Say it isn't so!

What do other photo sites use for storage? There has to be other options than S3. I suggest taking a hard look. This is likely to be very costly. I'm not saying get rid of S3, but certainly redundancy needs to be in the equation.
  • Options
    pabsterpabster Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    DmitryS wrote:
    I want to play devil's advocate.
    According to Amazon's S3 service agreement:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=379654011
    Amazon will credit Smugmug 25% of the total monthly charges.
    Provided Smugmug points to Amazon as the reason for downtime, should Smugmug users receive credit too?
    Otherwise Smugmug will even benefit financially when S3 is down.

Devil's Advocate, eh? Heh. I doubt they'd do it on purpose. Even though that 25% might be a nice chunk of change.

I personally am far more interested in getting the situation resolved and proactive measures to prevent such occurrences in the future than a few bucks or days of credit.
  • Options
    spalding12spalding12 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Say it isn't so!
    obviously, I'M FINE WITH THE S3...
    i'm just wondering if anyone at amazon is giving you a time estimate?
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Wasn't worried about safe and sound since most services are backed up on a reqular basis. I was thinking in terms of access, slow-downs, etc.

Still, based on SM's track record (until today), I guess that it's really a non-issue.

Thanks for the answer,

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    kriskroskriskros Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Suggestion: HOMEPAGE of users must be the default during OUTAGE
    I didn't like it too. And the smugmug cartoon is still smiling.

I suggest that every member's homepage of SmugMug must be saved in a different server to be displayed whenever this occurence takes place again. An overlay OUTAGE message must be in everyone's HOMEPAGE.

Then that will be more professional looking than what we got right now.

This is taking so much time.
    urbanaries wrote:
    I'm cool with my site being down. In two years, this is the first let's say "extended" outage, and its ok. I'm not happy, but I'm not going to overreact either.

That said, the "cartoon" currently replacing my site is quite unprofessional, it is definitely not reflective of the image I've built with my target audience and current client base. eek7.gif

Come on guys, I know you have a lighthearted, coy-voiced business model, but this is a bit much.
  • Options
    finalbluefinalblue Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

I'd agree with this. Would be great if we could specify our own page, or even just an image with our own blurb, in the event that this ever happens again.

I've been a Pro member for a few years now and this is also the first extended outage that I have experienced. I've been otherwise very happy with SM, particularly with Andy and SM support.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    spalding12 wrote:
    obviously, I'M FINE WITH THE S3...
    i'm just wondering if anyone at amazon is giving you a time estimate?
    Yes, they are updating all of use here:

http://status.aws.amazon.com/
    Amazon wrote:
    2:36 PM PDT We have restored all internal communication across Amazon S3 hosts. We have started the multi-step process to begin accepting requests across Amazon S3 locations.
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Can any tech geeks here translate this for the rest of us?
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    dugmar wrote:
    Can any tech geeks here translate this for the rest of us?
    Sure.. Something REALLY bad happened. Probably blew up a few hundred thousand dollars of cisco equipment, and now they're replacing it/fixing it.

Almost fixed though!

David
  • Options
    1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Andy,
    This link goes to a list of something, but I do not see any reference to snugmug at that link. Where do we go from there??
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

We don't think so, Sorry :( We're not some stuffed shirts. I *love* the graphic. Still, I love these, too:

20080720-beqw16cwpc44inf4j1847iwcuu.jpg

20080720-prusgfqiyw45u2uxq4fs4r1i99.jpg

Saw this on youtube once:
    399777241_9b64f94873_o.jpg

I *love* Crumpler's:
    20080204-1b1tp42wm4gtjg2sgnwha6qsky.jpg

and I love ours compared to: :snore

Aplpe_OOO.jpg

20080720-emd373n222kdpq8xjubfhj2yj4.jpg

1187826470_836a2f3520.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    1pocket wrote:
    Andy,
    This link goes to a list of something, but I do not see any reference to snugmug at that link. Where do we go from there??
    You don't. That's where Amazon is posting their updates to the issue.

Full SmugMug Status here: http://smugmug.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    What I find cool is that photos that I posted on the dgrin website that are hosted in my smug gallery are not showing up as x's!

I'm not thrilled about the cartoon either....how bout another contest!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    rickstrickst Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    3:07 PM PDT We are attempting to bring EU back up now, followed by our US locations. EU will be first due to the smaller number of hosts. No data has been lost during this incident.

Sounds like it will be a while yet...