Options

Help Baldy shoot for a 72x240-inch print

Comments

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    The shot on the left has lower noise on the clock tower and a less saturated sky; both of which are effects I would expect from the 80A after correcting the WB. The shot on the right has a magenta cast--not sure what that's about.
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's the one on the left, unless it's the one on the right... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,811 moderator
    edited February 25, 2009
    I believe the one on the left has the most similarity to this previous post:

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=895741&postcount=24

That would leave the one on the right as the filtered candidate.

I do like the one on the left better overall regardless.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 26, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I believe the one on the left has the most similarity to this previous post:

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=895741&postcount=24

That would leave the one on the right as the filtered candidate.

I do like the one on the left better overall regardless.
    Yeah, the cooling filter doubles the exposure time, thereby doubling the noise with no noticeable improvement that I can see.

One disadvantage of the 5D MKII is it has a dirty chip and longer exposures make things worse.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    Yeah, the cooling filter doubles the exposure time, thereby doubling the noise with no noticeable improvement that I can see.

One disadvantage of the 5D MKII is it has a dirty chip and longer exposures make things worse.

The 5D MKI is an exceptional long exposure camera. It sounds like, from your experience, that the MKII doesn't handle long exposures as well which is a bit unfortunate. I wonder at what point you are better off bumping the ISO on the MKII rather than the exposure time?
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The 5D MKI is an exceptional long exposure camera. It sounds like, from your experience, that the MKII doesn't handle long exposures as well which is a bit unfortunate. I wonder at what point you are better off bumping the ISO on the MKII rather than the exposure time?
    I shot everything at ISO 100 but it was still noisy in the shadows, even with just a 2-second exposure.

You can turn on the long exposure noise reduction option, and I've seen great results from others using it, but it doubles the exposure time, which is hard for me shooting panos with the weather quickly changing.

I saw comparisons of the D3x versus 5D MKII for noise in the shadows, and there was quite a difference.

I dunno if I heated up my chip by using live view so much for focusing and shooting so many shots in a row... Maybe that contributes to the noise, I dunno. The performance of the chip does deciline after shooting a few minutes of video.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    I shot everything at ISO 100 but it was still noisy in the shadows, even with just a 2-second exposure.

You can turn on the long exposure noise reduction option, and I've seen great results from others using it, but it doubles the exposure time, which is hard for me shooting panos with the weather quickly changing.

I saw comparisons of the D3x versus 5D MKII for noise in the shadows, and there was quite a difference.

I dunno if I heated up my chip by using live view so much for focusing and shooting so many shots in a row... Maybe that contributes to the noise, I dunno. The performance of the chip does deciline after shooting a few minutes of video.

Yes, long exposures do heat up the CMOS chip and do create additional noise, both hot pixels and random noise.

You can take a single "dark frame" at the end of the session and that should do fairly well at representing the hot pixels. There is software that handles inverting the dark frame and subtracting from the actual images. I don't know how much automation you can achieve but it might be possible to automate.

Random noise is relatively easy to accommodate in software but the 5D MKII is supposed to do a good job of averaging the random noise in long exposures so it may not be needed after subtracting the dark frame. (In other words most of the noise could be due to hot pixels, so that's what I would try to ameliorate first.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2009
    Hokay, we hung the 144x132-inch print... That's Schmoo in front of it:

489545605_kavbp-XL.jpg

It's 200 dpi, sharp as a tack, and people just gasp when they see it. You can't see the statues carved from lovely stone all over that cathedral any other way, even in person.

The light changes as you go up in this shot because daylight is pouring in through a skylight.
  • Options
    MrChristopherMrChristopher Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    I'm booking my flight now to come see this monster.
    http://dexterfriedkin.smugmug.com/ - A work in progress. Hopefully someday it'll be filled with many great pictures instead of a couple of good ones.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    I'm booking my flight now to come see this monster.
    There'll be more, soon :D
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    :yikes
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2009
    Obsessively, relentlessly and without compromise. thumb.gifthumb
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited March 12, 2009
    That is awesome! And it looks like Schmoo is actually in the picture thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    thumb.gif
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    That is awesome! And it looks like Schmoo is actually in the picture thumb.gif

That would be awesome, meaning I would have visited Milan!

Seriously though the print really is breathtaking. I wouldn't expect less from a photographer as precise and driven as Baldy, but you really can see every single nook and cranny of the cathedral in that photo. They need to get one of those library ladders-on-a-rail just to make sure any visitor can go up and pixel peep on the thing. lol3.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,187 moderator
    edited March 12, 2009
    WOW! :wow

Wasn't sure if a side trip to SM HQ was in order when I'm in Tahoe next month. However... looks like these are a no-brainer no-miss adventure. That, and also to say hello to all my SM friends, of course.

Should we look for a new smiley for Baldy that is pano related?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Absolutely stunning. Good grief that is a monster print. How about some details on the printing itself? Next time I am in the south bay I would love to come by and see it in person.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2009
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2009
    A film crew with a RED camera followed me up to SF to re-create the shooting of the SF pano, and I was bummed that the sky at dusk was hardly orange.

AJ, the RED operator, snapped back, "Oh, it's orange. I got it." I looked in his monitor and it was beautiful.

He had mounted a glass filter over the lens that was blue at the bottom and graded to orange at the top, so he warmed the sky and cooled the city lights. It really looked great.

AJ's other projects are he's filming James Cameron's new film, Avatar, and Spielberg's new film, Tintin. He gets to film a lot of epic stuff, but he loved being on the island and filming that view of SF.
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    thank you so much for sharing this epic shot and adventure to capture it. I wish this thread could be stickied to show everyone what a group of talented individuals as a team can come up with.

Baldy, congrats on finally getting this project printed. It looks absolutely stunning.bowdown.gif

Andy, thank you for posting the video link.clap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2009
    About the coolest thing ever. thumb.gifclap.gifclap
    ziggy53
  • Options
    MrChristopherMrChristopher Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    A film crew with a RED camera followed me up to SF to re-create the shooting of the SF pano, and I was bummed that the sky at dusk was hardly orange.

AJ, the RED operator, snapped back, "Oh, it's orange. I got it." I looked in his monitor and it was beautiful.

He had mounted a glass filter over the lens that was blue at the bottom and graded to orange at the top, so he warmed the sky and cooled the city lights. It really looked great.

AJ's other projects are he's filming James Cameron's new film, Avatar, and Spielberg's new film, Tintin. He gets to film a lot of epic stuff, but he loved being on the island and filming that view of SF.

Any idea on when/if we get to see this?
    http://dexterfriedkin.smugmug.com/ - A work in progress. Hopefully someday it'll be filled with many great pictures instead of a couple of good ones.
  • Options
    jstewjstew Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    We have a wall at SmugMug that is begging for a jaw-dropping pano. We know we want the SF skyline, probably from Bay Bridge to a little past Coit tower. A lot like the shot in the next post, but with supreme sharpness & dynamic range.

Your answer!

http://www.panoscan.com/

cheers
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2009
    Just a bump so that new people can see this epic and amazing journey of trial and tribulation, testing and amazing successes. thumb.gifthumb clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2009
    It's the gift that keeps giving :D We put SF in our conference room, too. This one is from Twin Peaks, the blue hour just after sunset.

621628025_xVXQH-X2.jpg

It's very cool, it wraps 'round our whole conference room clap.gif
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Bumping this thread is so unfair and such a huge tease to those that can not see it hung at the Smugmug head quarters.:cry

After following this thread from beginning to end, one really appreciates the total effort from all the members that participated in helping baldy work out technical difficulties in producing such a large and bold picture. The end result is magical and a true pleasure to view in person.

I hope all of you that followed this thread one day will be able to see this masterpiece. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    bobcanbobcan Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    Woowwweeee.. I'll Say!!
    ziggy53 wrote:
    About the coolest thing ever. thumb.gifclap.gifclap
    Reading.. Looking.. Learning..
    THANK YOU very much for all of this work.. Truly Inspiring.. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    ilanedilaned Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Andy wrote: »

Hello dginners, I was browsing this thread, and I am stunned of your results.
    I was wondering if there is an easy way to upload a zoomify pano to my smugmug page? or if you had a tutorial of how this could be done. Maybe you can help to point me into the right direction, thank's a lot, Cheers, Ernst
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I'm in the process of ordering some myself from DPI-SF... Any recos as to the paper/laminates/coatings that you guys have had success with?

My first application won't be in a high-traffic area; it'll be hung in an entry way with the closest viewing distance being about 4 feet. I'm printing at 80x45". I'm therefore not concerned with protecting the print... I'm going with gloss and no laminate (unless you feel strongly that this is a bad idea).

Also, any thoughts on mounting? I saw someone mention a velcro-like approach earlier in the thread... just curious if you've become fond of any specific methods. Thx!