Options

Help Baldy shoot for a 72x240-inch print

Comments

• Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Autopano Pro no likey these images. It reports a fine stitch, but gives it that abstract look:

431426797_JkhVp-O.png

CS4 just says, "Screw you. I'd rather blow up than stitch your stinkin' pano."

The new 8.1beta of PtGui should support the 5DmkII files as it uses the DCraw libraries (and they do)
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    isn't this fitting? you got the shot during the 5 year anniversaryclap.gifclapclap.gif.

too bad you can't bring a 7.2" by 70" mini pano of the shot with you to the party. Can't wait to see the full version printed hanging proudly on the walls of smugmugbowdown.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 7, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    The new 8.1beta of PtGui should support the 5DmkII files as it uses the DCraw libraries (and they do)
    So I bought a copy and it does support the 5D MKII but now I seem to need a black belt in using it:

431790374_9WzQm-O.png

It whipped through the align image routine surpisingly fast (a minute or two), which takes most programs a long time. But then the images were half scrambled, so I've been adding control points for a couple hours and have gotten this far... It's hard to get exact control points for the images of sky.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I'd like to give it the general sequence of the images so it doesn't end up placing a patch all the way on the other side of the pano.

I see there are some pano tools available that are GPLed to install, but the intructions are pretty geeky so I haven't tried yet.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    So I bought a copy and it does support the 5D MKII but now I seem to need a black belt in using it:

It whipped through the align image routine surpisingly fast (a minute or two), which takes most programs a long time. But then the images were half scrambled, so I've been adding control points for a couple hours and have gotten this far... It's hard to get exact control points for the images of sky.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I'd like to give it the general sequence of the images so it doesn't end up placing a patch all the way on the other side of the pano.

I see there are some pano tools available that are GPLed to install, but the intructions are pretty geeky so I haven't tried yet.

I have no doubt you are very frustrated by now but this picture is turning out beyond belief. What great colors through out the shot and you managed even to capture the GG during a great time of the day. I do not see the GG bridge so clearly very often from your vantage point. Outstanding Baldyclap.gifwings.gifclap
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2008
    dadwtwins wrote:
    I have no doubt you are very frustrated by now but this picture is turning out beyond belief. What great colors through out the shot and you managed even to capture the GG during a great time of the day. I do not see the GG bridge so clearly very often from your vantage point. Outstanding Baldyclap.gifwings.gifclap
    Thanks! I used to wonder when I saw a sky that orange in a photo what the photog had done with Photoshop to make it so. But these are just unaltered RAW files I'm stitching...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Thanks! I used to wonder when I saw a sky that orange in a photo what the photog had done with Photoshop to make it so.

Ereh, ahem, koff koff...
  • Options
    jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    You should ask your engineer friends to jury-rig something that allows you to stack two cameras so you can shoot two rows at once on the same focal point. mwink.gif

My friend Ladd (automotive machinist, on the left) made two plates for my friend Landon (astronomer/photographer, on the right) so he could take astronomy photos with multiple cameras pointing to the same area in the sky (imaging during a total solar eclipse). Here they are, posing with the 2006 model:

3089861785_5c69a2758d_o.jpg

Here is another view of the 2006 model:

3089861703_e0ed910e7f_o.jpg

And here's a view of the 2008 model:

3090702792_9dc2734baa_o.jpg

(apologies for the short DoF - this was a quick snap at a party, in low light, without a flash) This rig was designed to hold 3 cameras but at the party we were doing the demo with just 2 cameras on the mount. I'll post photos later that show the rig in use at the 2008 total solar eclipse in China.

You may want to make/use a rig like this for your upcoming castle shot in France. If you place 2 or 3 cameras to shoot at exactly the right angle one above the other, you don't need as much overlap (you can just tell the software how much overlap there is between the frames to stitch them into a single "tall" frame, rather than rely on having enough similar "points" in the frame for the software to calculate the overlap). Then you only need to make one pass from side to side, which reduces the number of adjustments you need to make between each shot, and reduces the total number of shots you need to take.

jc
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

You can open the "Panorama Editor" window, switch to single image (second icon in the toolbox up the top) and drag each image around into rough alignment and then run the alignment again. You can also run "generate control points for selected images" at any time to lock a specific pair together. If you shot this using a pano head with clicks for each rotation, you can plug the numbers in to it's transformations before even running any allignment.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited December 7, 2008
    Ha Ha JC. Tell Landon I said hello--he may not remember but I worked at SGI around the same time he did.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Ha Ha JC. Tell Landon I said hello--he may not remember but I worked at SGI around the same time he did.

I'll tell him. What did you do at SGI? Were you part of the Cray group? We may have other mutual ex-SGI friends in common. (It's a small internet. Laughing.gif)

jc
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2008
    jcdill wrote:
    I'll tell him. What did you do at SGI? Were you part of the Cray group? We may have other mutual ex-SGI friends in common. (It's a small internet. Laughing.gif)

jc
    Division IT. Managed EIS group in the MIPS org. He worked in Corporate.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Division IT. Managed EIS group in the MIPS org. He worked in Corporate.

I love all the acronyms. Your sentence says it all on how the direction of our communication has gone. Our lives are full of them and the only people who understand what they mean are the ones in the loop. It is almost like we are a bunch of kids with our own secret languages rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2008
    dadwtwins wrote:
    It is almost like we are a bunch of kids with our own secret languages rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Ha ha!
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2008
    Where this stands is the pano seems to be crashing the beta version of PtGui, which I need for these new RAW files:

433168096_ppw6j-L.png

But shooting the pano set us behind on our jobs so we're chilling for awhile. We may convert the files to tiffs before resuming.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Where this stands is the pano seems to be crashing the beta version of PtGui, which I need for these new RAW files:

But shooting the pano set us behind on our jobs so we're chilling for awhile. We may convert the files to tiffs before resuming.
    Are you running a 64b version of PtGui?
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

But shooting the pano set us behind on our jobs
    What pano?

:whip :baldy
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    Baldy at work lol3.gif

434120590_6hxbQ-X3.jpg

434120095_CLfrJ-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    Shizam ponders

434121854_WpZPJ-X3.jpg

When we're' shooting hundreds and he's only shooting two (8x10 film) you have to ponder a lot!

434122265_m7tHu-X3.jpg

Money shot? ne_nau.gif the film's not back yet lol3.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    :lurk

now this is getting even more interesting. a shootout....!!

btw, why is baldy not using live view and a little chair....he is making my neck sore just viewing these images....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Money shot? ne_nau.gif the film's not back yet lol3.gif
    Nice tripod :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 10, 2008
    :lurk

now this is getting even more interesting. a shootout....!!

btw, why is baldy not using live view and a little chair....he is making my neck sore just viewing these images....

Good question.

Hey Marc.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Good question.

Hey Marc.....

8X10 wings.gif go dude! BTW did you find Velvia?

Now, personally I usually have three interns standing around, one to carry my chair and the others to work live view and cable release....rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    dont forget the model shading you....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Baldy....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/365813-REG/Panasonic_AW_PH400_AW_PH400_High_Speed_Indoor_Pan.html

might as well.... it should match that setup very well...

dont forget to get the controller

:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Where is the location you guys are shooting this pano from? I am taking a trip to SF next week and would love to shoot the bay bridge from this same vantage point.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    fogmachinefogmachine Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 15, 2008
    Where's Baldy?
    They're on Treasure Island at the bottom of the hill from the Bay Bridge exit when heading East from downtown SF - can't miss it. Very popular for wedding shots. No toll if you go back to SF. The stunningly clear and still conditions don't happen very often.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    Breaking news: I thought #10 was the magic ticket, no need to go back, in the bag, signed, sealed, delivered... deal.gif

Ehem.

Looking out the windows at work today, a day when I ABSOLUTELY HAD NO TIME to break away because it's peak insanity where I work, I could see some interesting weather. Rain. Scattered clouds. Maybe very interesting. Who knew for sure?

So I grabbed camera and rushed to the island and here's what the sky looked like:

437612380_WZtFE-X2.jpg
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    So I grabbed camera and rushed to the island and here's what the sky looked like:
    Sweet! :D

What time was this? 5:30 pm?
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    That's actually the middle exposure of an HDR I shot of that scene +/-2 stops.

The light was changing so fast, I shot this with the 300mm so I have fewer pixels. Maybe that'll get me off my butt to check out the upres stuff youz've been pimping.

The wind was blustery and I couldn't keep the vibration away with my heaviest Gitzo aluminum tripod. It was major despair time until I rushed to the truck after remembering I had a video tripod in there. That was the ticket. No vibration at all from what I can tell.

So... Stormy sky and fewer pixels or orange sky and a plethora of pixels? I'll stitch this later so you can get a better view and we can put it up to public vote.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    I want both. Hard to argue against the drama in tonight's sky.

You know Baldy, I was thinking. What about the anti-vibration feet commonly used for telescope tripods? Do you think those would work?