Check your exifs!

VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited September 16, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
In my usual habit, a few days before the end of the challenge round, I click on each of ya'lls EXIF data as well as looking over each photo.

I found several EXIF's that weren't linked properly or not even present. I also noted a few that had the original image EXIF linked - the color image. Not sure if having the color is alright, or not, but according to the rules, the EXIF for the photo entered should be the showing, which would be a b/w image.

Just wanted to bring this to ya'lls attention so each of you would go over your entry to make sure everything is copasectic. I have PM'd a coupla of ya, as I was going through the thread, but found more and more that needed attention so I thought I'd post a thread, instead.

The challenge won't be as much fun without any of you and you worked so hard on your image - I don't want to see anyone disqualified.

Good luck!

VR

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Thanks. thumb.gif I've been PM'ing folks as well.
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks. thumb.gif I've been PM'ing folks as well.

Good to know!! clap.gif
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Me too, when I think to check. It is a rule that we all have to live up to, but its no fun seeing someone DQ'd for something simple.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I am not sure, but I believe the EXIF is only to make sure that the photo is FRESH and taken during the contest time frame. Well at least that is what the EXIF was for in last years contest.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited September 5, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    I am not sure, but I believe the EXIF is only to make sure that the photo is FRESH and taken during the contest time frame. Well at least that is what the EXIF was for in last years contest.

That's what I was unsure about. Maybe Emily will chime in....
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:

nod.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited September 5, 2008
    nod.gif

Thanks for the clarification!
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    In my usual habit, a few days before the end of the challenge round, I click on each of ya'lls EXIF data as well as looking over each photo.

I found several EXIF's that weren't linked properly or not even present. I also noted a few that had the original image EXIF linked - the color image. Not sure if having the color is alright, or not, but according to the rules, the EXIF for the photo entered should be the showing, which would be a b/w image.

Just wanted to bring this to ya'lls attention so each of you would go over your entry to make sure everything is copasectic. I have PM'd a coupla of ya, as I was going through the thread, but found more and more that needed attention so I thought I'd post a thread, instead.

The challenge won't be as much fun without any of you and you worked so hard on your image - I don't want to see anyone disqualified.

Good luck!

VR

I received a PM today indicating that my EXIF wasn't working properly, but when I click on it, it seems to be fine. Could someone else check it and see if it works for them? Much appreciated!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    ic4u wrote:
    I received a PM today indicating that my EXIF wasn't working properly, but when I click on it, it seems to be fine. Could someone else check it and see if it works for them? Much appreciated!
    Customize your gallery for external links so others can see it.:D

Dan
    edited September 5, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Customize your gallery for external links so others can see it.:D

Dan

Okay, I must have a problem then, when I checked on that it already said yes to external links. This particular photo is in a gallery that I have as unlisted, could that be the problem?
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    ic4u wrote:
    Okay, I must have a problem then, when I checked on that it already said yes to external links. This particular photo is in a gallery that I have as unlisted, could that be the problem?

Shouldn't be. Mine's in an unlisted gallery, too, and works fine. (Or so I assume--haven't received word otherwise.) Your EXIF comes up blank for me, too. Is the gallery password protected?
    edited September 5, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Shouldn't be. Mine's in an unlisted gallery, too, and works fine. (Or so I assume--haven't received word otherwise.) Your EXIF comes up blank for me, too. Is the gallery password protected?

I had the same problem - gallery was unlisted, but links turned on and you couldn't see it.

The only way I was able to get the EXIF to be seen was to open it up for full view.
    edited September 5, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:

Yeah it is...I moved the picture to another gallery and tried posting the EXIF again, would you mind trying the 2nd EXIF link and see if it works now??
    Karin

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=102995 deal.gif

i would bet your password prot is the issue
    Aaron Nelson
    edited September 5, 2008
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=102995 deal.gif

i would bet your password prot is the issue

Thanks for the link, I followed those instructions and logged out, I was still able to see the EXIF info??? Did you happen to click on the 2nd EXIF info I put under the entry? I moved it to an unprotected gallery and linked the info from there. I'm curious if that woked! I can't seem to find an avatar that's pulling their hair out, but that's where I'm at!!!!!
    Karin

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 5, 2008
    In the spirit of the cleanup around here, I've changed the thread title to be more indicative and less officious. thumb.gif

(yes, I think I made up that last word lol3.gif)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited September 5, 2008
    ic4u wrote:
    Yeah it is...I moved the picture to another gallery and tried posting the EXIF again, would you mind trying the 2nd EXIF link and see if it works now??

The second EXIF link worked for me. thumb.gif
    edited September 5, 2008
    I can see them both now. eek7.gif

EDIT: I also made my gallery unlisted and logged out, and was able to view my EXIF. Can I get a confirmation, please?
    edited September 5, 2008
    Thank you, thank you, thank you to you all, I can now go to sleep peacefully!!wings.gifbarbwings.gif
    Karin

edited September 5, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    I had the same problem - gallery was unlisted, but links turned on and you couldn't see it.

The only way I was able to get the EXIF to be seen was to open it up for full view.

Was your unlisted gallery also password protected? That seems to be the culprit in the other instance. headscratch.gif
    edited September 5, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Was your unlisted gallery also password protected? That seems to be the culprit in the other instance. headscratch.gif

Yup! Thanks again for your help!

Edit: Oops, that wasn't directed at me this time!
    Karin

edited September 5, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    I can see them both now. eek7.gif

EDIT: I also made my gallery unlisted and logged out, and was able to view my EXIF. Can I get a confirmation, please?

Yup, worked for me. thumb.gif
    edited September 5, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:

Worked for me too!thumb.gif
    Karin

• shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    In the spirit of the cleanup around here, I've changed the thread title to be more indicative and less officious. thumb.gif

(yes, I think I made up that last word lol3.gif)

Like the word. Definition?
    edited September 6, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Like the word. Definition?

Not a made-up word, but I believe he made it more officious (informal), not less so. mwink.gif
    edited September 6, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:

I think it may have been, and with all the different settings I got frustrated and just opened it up.

Now, understanding it better, it's unlisted and I can still see the EXIF. Thanks!

Thanks to all who checked for me. thumb.gif
    edited September 6, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Not a made-up word, but I believe he made it more officious (informal), not less so. mwink.gif
    Bah! I took out the acronym and the number - way less officialouser.. :D

Also, way to help each other out, nice to see. thumb.gif
    Erik

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    I'm not sure if the original question of the OP was really answered in this thread directly, but I've assumed that it's the same as it was in the LPS, that the exif would be from the original image, and that it would be obvioius if one didn't use the original image. In many cases, Shatch as an example, we are putting up a collage or photomerge, in which case the exif won't carry through on the image exactly as presented. Any exif would represent the date it was created in photoshop. In my case, I did a lot of cleanup on the original image (at least the one you see now;)), so the only thing I can do is put up the original color image.

So what's a boy to do?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited September 6, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    So what's a boy to do?
    Exactly what you did. nod.gif

And anyway, EXIF refers to shot information. So of course the color image is fine. I don't want to see people worrying more about exifs than photography. Deal?
    Erik

• bsharpbsharp Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    [quote=I found several EXIF's that weren't linked properly or not even present. VR[/quote]

Since this is the first time I have entered a contest on Digital Grin, I can understand why so many other don’t have the EXIF information on their posts. It was difficult for me to follow the instructions that were offered (http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1083138_ETxER/1) and (http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/HowToSeeExif). Here are the reasons why…<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    First off, let me just say that I appreciate all the work that Stephanie did in preparing this tutorial. I just had a few problems with it, and thought I would share them with her, and anyone else who has had problems with posting and adding EXIF to their contest posts.<o:p></o:p>
    Directions:<o:p></o:p>
    “All image posts on dgrin need to start with and end with. So an image posting would look like this:
    the URL of your image goes here
    1. Embedding a Photo 2. Putting it together in Dgrin 3. Linking EXIF Data 4. Attaching a Photo”<o:p></o:p>
    Problem: <o:p></o:p>
    After reading this I thought I was going to have to type all of this stuff in, instead of just linking. I think the tutorial would have been better had it started with her statement under Embedding a Photo – “There are four steps to posting a picture on a post in Digital Grin: 1. Embedding a Photo 2. Putting it together in Dgrin 3. Linking EXIF Data 4. Attaching a Photo” <o:p></o:p>
    “…click the "share photo" button above your Image.<o:p></o:p>
    Choose "Get a link”
    … You can right-click on the "Copy Link" buttons to get the URL…<o:p></o:p>
    Note: <o:p></o:p>
    I only had to click on the URL and a popup said it was copied. On my version there was no “Copy Link”. Right clicking on the link did not give you the option to copy.<o:p></o:p>
    When you are composing a message…
    … One of them looks like a postcard. Click on that button.
    … When you click on that icon you will be asked to enter in the URL of your image. Since you copied it earlier, all you have to do now is paste it… Click OK.”<o:p></o:p>
    Problem: (This next series of instructions is what I had problems with and why I think many posts are not showing the EXIF information)<o:p></o:p>
    Your message window should now look like this.

http://bradsharp.smugmug.com/photos/367040115_CsDPv-L.jpg

****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5COwner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1627421319 -2147483648 8 0 66047 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> But this is NOT what I saw. Instead, I saw my image – not just the type - in the post. I thought OK, this is actually better. I can see my image in the post. So I continued…<o:p></o:p>
    Linking EXIF Data<o:p></o:p>
    To add the EXIF information
    …you'll see a button for "Photo Info." Click on that.”<o:p></o:p>
    “…When you mouse over your image, you'll see a button for "Photo Info." Click on that.

[ULR]http://bradsharp.smugmug.com/photos/367610265_iJh8n-S.jpg[/url]

****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5COwner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1627421319 -2147483648 8 0 66047 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> …This window will pop up, with a link at the top: Photo Information. Right-click on that to copy the link (or control-click)…<o:p></o:p>
    Problem:<o:p></o:p>
    Right-clicking (or control-clicking) on ‘that’ did not work, if ‘that’ refers to the box itself. But if I right-click on the title “Photo Information”, I can then copy. But it doesn’t just say copy, it says “Copy link location”. So this is what I did (and it’s what worked).<o:p></o:p>
    The way that your tags should look when posting EXIF is:
    put your image URL here”<o:p></o:p>
    PROBLEM:<o:p></o:p>
    I did just that. My photo showed up, but NOT the EXIF (at least not that I could see). This may be why others don’t have their EXIF information attached. By following these directions the EXIF information will not show up.<o:p></o:p>
    Solution:<o:p></o:p>
    I followed the first instructions on how to embed a photo: <o:p></o:p>
    When you are composing a message…
    … One of them looks like a postcard. Click on that button.
    … When you click on that icon you will be asked to enter in the URL of your image. Since you copied it earlier, all you have to do now is paste it… Click OK.”<o:p></o:p>
    This actually put the image in the post. Then, underneath the photo I typed in: EXIF = <o:p></o:p>
    I then pasted the link to the info that I copied: <o:p></o:p>
    (Right-click on the title “Photo Information”, then clicked on “Copy link location”.)<o:p></o:p>
    I then posted my photo, logged in as a viewer (on a different browser) and checked that the link worked. It did.<o:p></o:p>
    I noticed that many of the posts have a URL linked to the words EXIF. I haven’t figured out how to do that yet, so I hope just putting the link after the words EXIF works for the contest.<o:p></o:p>
    Hope this helps someone. And I realize that for some, my post may be harder to follow or understand than the original tutorial. But I thought I would put it out there in case it helps someone else.<o:p></o:p>

Well, so much for this post. When I previewed this post, I could see the images I embedded. But after submitting it, they show up as just links. I still can't even figure out how to embed images in this post. Oh well, it is what it is. If it helps, it helps. I'll have to try later to figure this out, when I have more time.