Options

>DSS #7 (Communication - B&W): Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    JAG, Greensquared

Thanks for all your time and effort put into this round and the crtique of my image "Street Beat"

I had no model for the shoot and in that neighborhood wouldn't think of leaving my camera on the tripod and walking ten feet from it.

I finally got up the courage to ask two guys walking by to help me. Therefore I have improved by doing something I haven't done before.

Because of these challenges I continue to grow as a photographer.

Thanks again,

P
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins

#50 - sherstone - keep it sharp
    Very well executed, love the title and the great use of dof. In the end it was still down to this particular theme drawing you further in whenever there was a human element involved.
    Thanks bunches Emily!
    I totally agree with you on the human element!
    JAG wrote:
    #50- sherstone- keep it sharp~ Nicely photographed. Would make a nice stock image. Although I
    do not see the theme well executed here.
    Thanks Jag! Yes the theme was not a direct correlation here so I can certainly see why you felt this way. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

A big thanks must go to
    swintonphoto , The Curious Camel, lynnesite, Roaddog 52 & anyone else I may have missed who liked my image enough to add it to there favorites.

Thank you also to everyone else involved in this great learning and social activity! Shooting for the love of it!
  • Options
    WomanWithACameraWomanWithACamera Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins

#38 - WomanWithACamera - Are YOU! Looking At ME!?
    This had a crazed pirate or shipwrecked kind of feel to it. You really did extremely well taking the original (which did nothing for me) and turn it into something that really conveyed a message with just a look. In the end there were just other entries that hit the theme more strongly for me, but still, very well done.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I really appreciate it. This picture was of my son.. He saw me coming with the camera, and made a wierd face, so I shot it. :D
    :D A Smile A Day...Keeps The Uglies Away. :D

http://annasphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    #44 - richtersl - The Stare That Moves Ewe
    Great pose and perfect title. I think I'd prefer to see more dof and stopped motion. These dogs are just incredible to watch, aren't they?

Yes, they ARE incredible to watch. And all those stories you hear about them being intelligent -- believe them! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks so much for your comment! :D
  • Options
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    The 7-foot eyeball is in a park near my home. Someone, I think it was JAG, said she saw it somewhere before. Well, probably in my gallery. Here's the eyeball in context.

265447494_2NDuy-M.jpg
    That eyeball is just so bizarre....
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    richtersl wrote:
    That eyeball is just so bizarre....

You know, it really is. But I love it. I love it so much that think I'm going to make that eyeball fit into every DSS theme from here on out. :poke
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    You know, it really is. But I love it. I love it so much that think I'm going to make that eyeball fit into every DSS theme from here on out. :poke

Now that's keeping your eye on the prize! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Halite wrote:
    Now that's keeping your eye on the prize! rolleyes1.gif

Oy! :giggle
  • Options
    tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    I guess the "eye"s have it then..
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    just be sure to cross your t's and dot your i's mwink.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    JAG wrote:
    #6-Liquidair- Broadcast~ Was this taken in two seperate images? Just curious. Although I think if fits the communication well and the lighting is great. I am having a hard time getting my mind around the dof of the chin in proportion to the upper lip and nose and then the infocus mic.

Its just one exposure: 135mm at f/2 on full frame body so the depth of field is extremely shallow. The focus point was on the black ring near the front of the mic. I (this is a self portrait) was leaning forward a bit when I took the shot so the tip of my nose was actually in front of the focal plane. My original plan was to shoot portrait orientation, include my eyes and place them on the focal plane. This shot was a "hmmm, what if..." that beat out my original idea.
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Where every you go, what every you do, EYE will be watching you... eek7.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    Finishing up the feedback
    #61 - bsharp - Back Off!
    This was another one I had a hard time cutting. Great for the theme, and the black and white works well, it just came down to a less-than-desirable crop. Cropping some off the bottom and left would have led to a stronger composition.

#62 - Jzazzi - Lack Of
    I spent a while on this one, which is good. I think it worked really well, except with such fantastic chess pieces, I keep wanting the checkers to be more visually interesting as well. And of course, opposing the theme is always a tricky one, but I think you pulled it off well.

#63 - explorish - Body language
    I scouted this one for a while and it made my first pass, but I think that in the end there was no real focal point. The closeness of the hand on the left is distracting, but even moreso, the action is so far away that there is no real distinction as to who the crowd is cheering on.

#64 - shutterbuglady - Words to Chew On
    DQ'd entry. Definitely an adorable photo. Not real strong on the theme, however, I still think it's super cute.

#65 - puzzledpaul - DNA Transfer
    DQ'd entry. Neat detail and I love how the B&W brings out the multitude of texture. I guess this is what you call the "Language of Love".

#66 - CSwinton - Stat!
    Despite that blur in the hand, this one really doesn't stretch the feel of urgency. Also, the hot spot on the hand in the foreground detracts a bit. I think that the concept is good, but I'm feeling the need for more supporting elements (showing an actual ER in the background maybe?). Kudos on the pager personalization though for sure!

#67 - urbanaries - summer lovin'
    What a fun shot! A few too many blown areas, but still, it gave me a good chuckle.

#68 - MrsCue - "Story Time"
    While the link to the image is now broken, I still remember it well. This also was one of the very last to get cut. Such a sweet, tender scene. The theme was there, be it quieter than some, but in the end it was just the dof really. The book was key to the message of "communication" and I therefore wanted that in focus as well.

#69 - achambers - Noteworthy
    Great concept, really. Exposure was good, just the crop/comp was a bit off. I think I would have liked to see a girl's hand reaching for the note too.

#70 - pyry - Feeling Black
    This was a good way to show "communicating emotions", but without another person around, it seemed more like personal expression.

#71 - KarrieMcD - AllWays
    Great concept and interpretation of the theme. I'm not usually a big fan of triptychs, but I think here, it would have worked well. It would have brought the subjects in to a more personal space, while still showing the necessary separation.

#72 - swintonphoto - After the Fight
    To be honest, I think showing "the fight", or "the makeup (non-explicitly)" would have been stronger for me. This shows a lack of communication to me.

#73 - ifocus - Tell me I can
    Awww, what a good doggy! That is SO not my dog! The eye crop is quite bothersome, but otherwise nicely done.

#74 - slpollett - "I said...Can you hear me NOW?"
    This one made me laugh, but I think having both of the cats sharp would have been better. Also, it seems that you used on camera flash (I could be wrong), which rarely provides interesting light. Try alternative sources.

#75 - mactoll - Pick your own pumpkin
    Very Tim Burton-ish...I like it. Well done all round, just not strong on theme.

#76 - vandana - "The comfort zone"
    This one could have been really strong as I sense genuine emotion here. Everything seems a little soft though, which I interpret as "unclear communication", and it appears there is a white reflection of sorts that makes it look that you are breathing steam (or maybe that's intentional?).

#77 - Pilznr - CONNECTIONS
    I think this is another image that really needs a human element to totally push the message further. Computer can technically talk to each other, but it's all for human benefit (some computer wiz is going to call me on this. I'm sure), and so, the feel here is too cold to really say "communication" loudly.

#78 - furiousfart - Are you checking her out!?!
    I love seeing these images from your part of the world. I think this image would really benefit from being lightened. That darkness makes it pretty difficult to distinguish your "main character" from the guy behind.

#79 - Travis - Help
    Really love the idea and use of selective blur. I think this would have been even stronger with a higher angle. And of course having an outstretched arm of a person lying face down coming from the bottom left corner would really have added intrigue.

#80 - TPBinKC - Please get me out of here...
    I truly feel compassion for animals like these that are typically kept in enclosures entirely too small. The tiger's expression has a feeling of despair, but the bars right in front of the eyes is very unfortunate, as are the blown out areas of fur.

#81 - Michael Atkins - Get Away From Me
    Another one that I hated to cute because it was just too cute! I have a feeling it was more of a "Let's play" though, and I also think that this image would be much more enticing in color.

#82 - lynnesite - The Touch That Teaches
    Very endearing image, just still kind of hazy on theme.

#83 - darkdragon - In The First Years
    Quite clever, but once again, a human element would have pushed it further for me.

#84 - Elaine - waves
    I really liked this one, just not as strong as theme.

#85 - SJK - Heads Up
    I think with some supporting visuals, this would have worked a little better. Showing the work site, a worker leaning against the wall, something to pull the viewer in.

#86 - AndMan - You're on the Final Lap
    Nice action and good interpretation of the theme. I think you could certainly crop some off the top to really draw the eye toward the action.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    << #65 - puzzledpaul - DNA Transfer
    DQ'd entry. Neat detail and I love how the B&W brings out the multitude of texture. I guess this is what you call the "Language of Love". >>

Thx for these comments - I presumably missed the change in what was acceptable as described in posts 26 and 28 here - no probs :)

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=102659&page=3

(dunno about 'Love' ... it was more like a battlefield scenario as the male was being dive-bombed by others in an effort to part the couple ...)

pp
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    #70 - pyry - Feeling Black
    This was a good way to show "communicating emotions", but without another person around, it seemed more like personal expression.

Now that you mention it, I could have combined this with another idea I had and shot... too late now.

Thanks for the feedback Emily :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    << #65 - puzzledpaul - DNA Transfer
    DQ'd entry. Neat detail and I love how the B&W brings out the multitude of texture. I guess this is what you call the "Language of Love". >>

Thx for these comments - I presumably missed the change in what was acceptable as described in posts 26 and 28 here - no probs :)

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=102659&page=3

(dunno about 'Love' ... it was more like a battlefield scenario as the male was being dive-bombed by others in an effort to part the couple ...)

pp

I searched my PMs trying to find if we had discussed this or not. I can only apologize for the mixed communication.

It seems that there are always ways to link your actual exifs. Even if you don't yet have a SmugMug account, there are free photo sharing sites out there to use. PM me if you need help getting on board with this, so we can keep the rule across the board (without me having to try and make exceptions). Cool?
    Emily

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    #74 - slpollett - "I said...Can you hear me NOW?"
    This one made me laugh, but I think having both of the cats sharp would have been better. Also, it seems that you used on camera flash (I could be wrong), which rarely provides interesting light. Try alternative sources.

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on each entry. It is appreciated!

I'm glad the picture made you laugh.

I did use the on-camera flash. I hate doing it, but I had spent most of the weekend (with my camera and flash attachment ready) trying to 'pose' the cats in a different part of my house. I wanted better natural light and much better background. Ha! Kitties no cooperate!! Every time I picked up the camera they would stop being cute and come check out the camera. I had given up, packed all my stuff away, and was going about the evening's chores. I walked by, saw the kitties snuggling & decided to try again. I didn't take time to hook up the flash because I figured I would only have one chance to get the picture and I didn't have time to waste. I knew if they saw me unpacking the flash they would move and start snooping in my bag.

Next time, I won't use my kitties as models!

Thanks again.

Sherry

ps--My in-laws just purchased a house in Cartersville and will be moving from Valdosta soon. I guess that means I'll be visiting once a year from now on.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    #53 - eoren1 - Playing to the crowd
    I had a horrible time cutting this one! I really, really like it. So many great expressions, really nice comp, love how the sun is hitting that guy's face. It just said "performing" to me more than"communicating", and I know performing is a form of communication, but it just wasn't as strong for me as the ones I picked. But oh, did I say I loved it anyway?

Wow, Emily - thank you so much for the critique. Greatly appreciated!
    E
  • Options
    Skipped a few - sorry
    #58 - jwear - AVIAN RHYTHMIC FISHING -- stop by for breakfast
    Well, apart from the fact that it took too much explaining to understand how this fit the theme, I think this shot is super. Love the clarity. I think I'd try a vertical crop though.

#59 - BOATS - no unautorized access
    This is an interesting entanglement of people. Nice action going on here and I like the comp and crop a lot, just doesn't speak the theme real clearly for me.

#60 - Eia - You Want To Go Where Everybody Knows Your Name...
    I have a feeling that this is one of those shots that you just long to see in color, especially since I'm thinking there was a great sunset. I like the lines and the crop, and the birds are great, there's just something missing for me.
    Emily

• Options
    idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    Hey All,

As my first attempt for this challenge was rather poor, I just tried to do a bit of different post processing on the image, I wonder if anybody has any CC on this new version?

I tried to make the sun behind the mailbox more promonant.
    I tried to make it so the mailbox was actually distinguishable as a mailbox, and not a birdhouse.
    I tried to put some texture back into the field.
    I also changed the cropping a bit to hopefully make it a bit more appealing.

These changes were of course inspired by the CC from jag and Greensquared.

Thanks.

ORIG:
    370251556_KvCd9-M.jpg

NEW:
    372458200_t37tf-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2008
    idiom wrote:
    Hey All,

As my first attempt for this challenge was rather poor, I just tried to do a bit of different post processing on the image, I wonder if anybody has any CC on this new version?

Much better. thumb.gif
    Emily

• Options
    JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    #62 - Jzazzi - Lack Of
    I spent a while on this one, which is good. I think it worked really well, except with such fantastic chess pieces, I keep wanting the checkers to be more visually interesting as well. And of course, opposing the theme is always a tricky one, but I think you pulled it off well.
    Many thanks for the critique. I know many others appreciate the time you and the other judges take to write these.

I too wanted some fantastic checkers pieces to play with, but unlike chess, companies don't put much effort into their checkers pieces for whatever reason. The tops had a neat design which is completely lost with the depth of field and perhaps the lighting, but it's all good to know for next time around. I'm excited about round #8 though, what a fun topic!

-J
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    Jag wrote:
    #86-AndMan- Youre on the final lap~ nice fitting of the theme...but need to kick up the thought and give me a wow!
    #86 - AndMan - You're on the Final Lap
    Nice action and good interpretation of the theme. I think you could certainly crop some off the top to really draw the eye toward the action.
    Emily & Jag, thanks to both of you for the feedback. Whilst this shot was far below the level of the others I am pleased that I actually entered one of these challenges.

Thanks again

Peter
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    agilepawzagilepawz Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    Thanks very much for the critiques. I am learning so much here!

Michele
  • Options
    bsharpbsharp Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    #61 - bsharp - Back Off!
    This was another one I had a hard time cutting. Great for the theme, and the black and white works well, it just came down to a less-than-desirable crop. Cropping some off the bottom and left would have led to a stronger composition.

Thanks for your comments. A little justification of why I cropped the way I did, then I will welcome your comments - since I obviously missed. (You weren't the only one with this opinion). I tried to leave some 'open' space for the dogs to run into to. I didn't want them to be up against the side. Also, I was trying to keep the focal point (the face of the larger dog), in the upper right section, based on the rule of thirds.

Where did I go wrong? (I really do appreciate your comments, and I'm just trying to learn - not criticizing your comments)
  • Options
    bsharp wrote:
    Thanks for your comments. A little justification of why I cropped the way I did, then I will welcome your comments - since I obviously missed. (You weren't the only one with this opinion). I tried to leave some 'open' space for the dogs to run into to. I didn't want them to be up against the side. Also, I was trying to keep the focal point (the face of the larger dog), in the upper right section, based on the rule of thirds.

Where did I go wrong? (I really do appreciate your comments, and I'm just trying to learn - not criticizing your comments)

It's not that you went wrong. Know the rules, but then play with your crops for what feels right. It may be a matter of pure personal opinion, and as the photographer the decision is yours. For reference though, here's what I had in mind (except with a touch more on top) to really draw you in to the action. Sorry for taking liberties with your image, but you asked, so I hope it's okay:

374019704_FvfiR-M.jpg

The dogs have come to a halt and are turning, so I don't think you need room in front of them. The aggressor's teeth and the other dog's scared eyes are roughly on the top third line.

Does this help at all?
    Emily

• Options
    bsharpbsharp Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    It's not that you went wrong. Know the rules, but then play with your crops for what feels right. It may be a matter of pure personal opinion, and as the photographer the decision is yours. For reference though, here's what I had in mind (except with a touch more on top) to really draw you in to the action. Sorry for taking liberties with your image, but you asked, so I hope it's okay:

The dogs have come to a halt and are turning, so I don't think you need room in front of them. The aggressor's teeth and the other dog's scared eyes are roughly on the top third line.

Does this help at all?

It's more than alright - I appreciate you doing so. It still allows for the rule of thirds (which I know is just a guide line - there is a site dedicated to photos that break all the rules, that I enjoy viewing at times), and it crops out of lot of the image that wasn't necessary for the feel or mood and makes you concentrate more on the dogs. And I agree, it looks much better.

So let's go back and you can re-vote, this time with this croprolleyes1.gif

Thanks for your insight, and for taking your time to share.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    Reaching Out
    Emily, I probably over cropped this one, but do you prefer it over the original?

374154165_VLqrp-L.jpg
  • Options
    dlplumer wrote:
    Emily, I probably over cropped this one, but do you prefer it over the original?

374154165_VLqrp-L.jpg

Hi Dan,

Yes, personally I do prefer this over the original, although you could leave a little more of the neck in. thumb.gif

Emily
    Emily

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    bsharp wrote:
    It's more than alright - I appreciate you doing so. It still allows for the rule of thirds (which I know is just a guide line - there is a site dedicated to photos that break all the rules, that I enjoy viewing at times), and it crops out of lot of the image that wasn't necessary for the feel or mood and makes you concentrate more on the dogs. And I agree, it looks much better.

Here's another thing I would have tried with your shot. As is, the dogs get a bit lost in the background. Opening up the aperture to blur the background a bit more would help. However, you can also get some more separation in post by using filters or color sliders in your B&W conversion to darken the green of the background. I think the grass and plants could be rendered a stop darker without leaving them looking unnatural. I'd also experiment with a bit of vignetting to focus the eye on the center of the frame.