Options

>DSS #7 (Communication - B&W): Feedback Thread

1235»

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    Hi Dan,

Yes, personally I do prefer this over the original, although you could leave a little more of the neck in. thumb.gif

Emily

Thanks thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008

#68 - MrsCue - "Story Time"
    While the link to the image is now broken, I still remember it well. This also was one of the very last to get cut. Such a sweet, tender scene. The theme was there, be it quieter than some, but in the end it was just the dof really. The book was key to the message of "communication" and I therefore wanted that in focus as well.

Thank you so much Emily.
    It's nice to know that I ranked so highly, especially when the standard of photography here is incredible!

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Here's another thing I would have tried with your shot. As is, the dogs get a bit lost in the background. Opening up the aperture to blur the background a bit more would help. However, you can also get some more separation in post by using filters or color sliders in your B&W conversion to darken the green of the background. I think the grass and plants could be rendered a stop darker without leaving them looking unnatural. I'd also experiment with a bit of vignetting to focus the eye on the center of the frame.

Great advice, Ken. thumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    bsharpbsharp Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Here's another thing I would have tried with your shot. As is, the dogs get a bit lost in the background. Opening up the aperture to blur the background a bit more would help. However, you can also get some more separation in post by using filters or color sliders in your B&W conversion to darken the green of the background. I think the grass and plants could be rendered a stop darker without leaving them looking unnatural. I'd also experiment with a bit of vignetting to focus the eye on the center of the frame.
    Here is the original image - after converting to BW (Gradient/Channel Mixer):

374512578_T8Q5w-L.jpg

Entry:
    367040115_CsDPv-L.jpg

As you can see, I did the same thing that both of you (Ken & Emily), suggested. I cropped and I used filters to darken the background, and added some vignetting to the image. But, as you can also see, and I can as well, I didn't go far enough. (I also darkened Sadie (the dog on the left), and lightened the shadows on Molly (the dog on the right).

I really do appreciate the time you have both taken to make such helpful comments and suggestions. Thanks, Brad
  • Options
    Hi Dan,

Yes, personally I do prefer this over the original, although you could leave a little more of the neck in. thumb.gif

Emily

363276014_5Z2mC-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    363276014_5Z2mC-L-1.jpg

Dan, I think I definitely like this crop better, but maybe a vignette would help keep the eye off the brightly patterned let side. Nicely done and a delightful image regardless.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited September 18, 2008
    375416646_3JtfN-L.jpg

Thanks Emily for your coaching. This is so much better than my original. iloveyou.gifthumb.gif :ivar
  • Options
    achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    #69 - achambers - Noteworthy
    Great concept, really. Exposure was good, just the crop/comp was a bit off. I think I would have liked to see a girl's hand reaching for the note too.

Thank you Emily. Unfortunately I didn't have a little girl (or anyone else for that matter) to reach for the note. I did try one with my wife's (teacher's) hand reaching for the note, but it didn't really work. I only had about 15-20 minutes to work with so I didn't get to play as much as I wanted.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."