Options

What's your story?

Comments

• Options
    xianartxianart Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Well, I've been here a week, should introduce myself, i guess...

How old are you?

Where do you live?
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Family?
    The Man and the Sprog (born Aug. 2003) That's it, both parents died last year. 2005 sucked.

How long have you been shooting? Film? Digital?
    I started seriously when i was 15, took a course at the Art College, and fell in love with the whole business. I was a serious candid, street shooter. At my height of productivity in university i was probably shooting about 15 rolls a day (i rolled my own and was always broke). When I finally got to University, i eventually did a BFA, after a year of 'Undecided Arts' (that's what they called it, really). I have a double major in photography and painting, and a minor in drawing.

I used a pentax k1000, and loved it. eventually i got a leica 2 (with a leica meter), o, and really loved that. and also a little pentax point and shoot, the name escapes me. all were stolen in botswana, and then i got a pentax me, as well as the man's canon rebel.

when i finally finished the bfa, i moved to england, and promptly couldn't afford to do any photography. after many horrid jobs that paid almost nothing, i had an epiphany in my friend's loo, while i was painting a mural in it. whether the paint fumes and drugs had anything to do with it, i'm not sure. i was to be an art teacher. so i did my teaching degree in london, and got a permanent job teaching art in botswana.

you'll notice a continuing lack of photo stuff happening...

i taught art in botswana for 6 years, taking many well composed snapshots. i loved it, but then we had the sprog, and decided to come home, regional politics becoming ...interesting.

a good thing we did, as my dad had a year with the Sprog before he died. he loved the sprog to distraction. my mum died 8 months later.

i bought the canon eos d20 with my dad's bequest to me, and have loved it. i think he'd be happy too, as he was a bit concerned i was wasting my education.

so, shooting film for 21 years (o my god) on and off and digital for about 9 months.

What's your favorite subject?
    Almost anything. Used to be people, now I don't get to see many, being a stay at home mum, so it's nature and the kid. if i ever get to travel again...

What do you do for money?
    As above, a SAHM, but sell kids books, and am trying to start a family portraiture business (the purpose of my smugmug site)

What other hobbies do you have?
    As above, i'm a SAHM, so i don't get to have hobbies! I'd love to paint again. travel. read...

things can only get better.

i'd like to say thank you to all those who helped me get my site up and running - the generosity of time and advice on these fora is amazing. thank you thank you thank you! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Welcome
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    I've been hanging out here for a little while now, and came across this, and figured I'd give the official introduction....

How old are you?
    Where do you live?
    Rochelle, Illinois (USA)
    Family?
    Married, w/3 daughters, which includes a set of twins.
    How long have you been shooting? Around 20 years. Film? First 16 or so. Digital? Last 3 or so.
    Motocross or Wildlife...can't decide.
    Serve and Protect. Also take pics at a local MX track, and contribute stories and pics to Cycle USA magazine, and Cycle News on-line. Not getting rich at it, but paid for my 20D last year:D.
    Attend daughters school functions.

Love Smug, and Dgrin.clap.gif

Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    How old are you?
    Forty-something

Where do you live?
    Illinois

Family?
    Two sons, ages 14 and 10

Film - 18 years
    Digital - 2 years

Sports. Basketball is my favorite with baseball running a close second. In the summer, I also like to shoot macros. With the recent acquisition of the Canon 100mm macro lens, this should be a great summer for me.

I teach high school special ed, am the advisor for the yearbook, and also have a photography business. I've been shooting senior portraits for students for a couple of years and have recently added sports action to the mix. This summer, I will be shooting my first wedding as well and am looking forward to adding that to the services offered by my business.

With my work schedule I don't have time for much, but I do love to attend high school sporting events. I also enjoy reading and sewing whenever I get the chance.
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras
  • Options
    ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    How old are you?
    Will be 35 on June 8th

Where do you live?
    Londonderry, New Hampshire "The Live Free Or Die State" (USA)
    Family?
    Girlfriend and we have a wonderful 6yo.
    How long have you been shooting? Around 15 years. Film? First 12 or so. Digital? Last 3 or so.
    News Photography And Weddings
    Full-Time 3rd Shift Security Supervisor at a Drug Company.
    I'm also a Call Firefighter & Department Photgrapher for the Londonderry Fire Department.
    All that and running my photography biz.
    Playing Xbox, Online Games Counter Strike etc.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 3, 2006
    Welcome Liza and ExposeTheMoment!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    Hey 2 more Illinoisan. Welcome!clap.gif It seems there is a growing number of people here from Illinois, in the spring we should get together for a meet. Check out here for any possible meet ups, or post one you want to have. We don't bite, I promise.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Aloner wrote:
    I'm in Johnson City, Kingsport isn't all that far thumb.gif
    Woo! Another Tennessean! clap.gif

I hope you all didn't get the HORRIBLE weather we had last night! :eek1
  • Options
    AlonerAloner Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    dancinkate wrote:
    Woo! Another Tennessean! clap.gif

I hope you all didn't get the HORRIBLE weather we had last night! :eek1

Not last night, but the night before we had some pretty crazy storms. Gave me a chance to try to shoot lightning though mwink.gif The tornado watch scared me a bit, but i'm so far up in the mountians I doubt it would get to me.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    Aloner wrote:
    The tornado watch scared me a bit, but i'm so far up in the mountians I doubt it would get to me.
    Maybe I need to move to the mountains.......we had windows broken out from hail and our shed ended up in the neighbor's yard. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    dancinkate wrote:
    Maybe I need to move to the mountains.......we had windows broken out from hail and our shed ended up in the neighbor's yard. rolleyes1.gif

I sure hope you all are safe out there. Let us know if you need anything.

Ian
  • Options
    Yvette MarieYvette Marie Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    Hi Guys... can I play?
    I dont have too many toys, but I play nice and have fun! Besides, I brought junk food.

I'm a single mom of 4 (( yeah yeah... joke all you want, I finally figured out what caused it.. no cable tv )) and I currently live in THE catbox section of Wyoming, where antelope and inbreds are about all I see.

I've been running my own portrait business for about 3 years, but lets just not count the first two.. I dont even want to re-live it! Through trial and error, I got to where I am now, which is.. hmmm saleable, but not creative enough! And I have a lot to learn... but I have a lot to share too!

I use all natural light for my photography (( read here: POOR AND CANT AFFORD LIGHTS YET )) and I've learned to do some decent stuff with it.

Im addicted to photoshop (( may be why I'm still single.. I cant pry myself away from it to notice something that actually BREATHES and has a JOB )) and I make extra money designing logos for other photographers.

My website stinks, but Im revamping it as we speak.

Im fun.. I can take critique... and I dont run with scissors, TOO Often. If yall will scoot over in this here sandbox, I'd like to play too!

Yvette
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    How old are you?

Where do you live?

Lansing, MI at the moment, just bought my first house last summer.

Family?
    Well, I have parents and stuff, they live up north, but I'm not married and have no kids if thats what you're asking. :):

I got into photography in '98 my first year of college. I shot film for about 4 years...then didn't shoot anything. College burnt me out on photography for awhile, but thats in the past. A couple of years ago I got myself a small digi cam and started goofing around, taking pics at concerts and stuff...now I'm moving up in the world to a 20d.

Concert photography, once I get back in the swing of things I'd like to get into wedding photography.

I'm an assistant librarian at MSU. I love it, but the pay isn't awesome.

I'm a taper. I love to record live concerts. Mics, preamps, recorders, anything having to do with audio...I'm a nerd. Besides taping, I'm a bit of a computer geek. I enjoy snowboarding when I get the chance to go. Love to go camping and doing nature type stuff. I enjoy drinking too, but I don't if that counts as a hobby or not.

Anyway, nice board, hopefully I'm not a "newbie" for too long.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    lol3.gif
    I'm a single mom of 4 (( yeah yeah... joke all you want, I finally figured out what caused it.. no cable tv ))
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    iloveyou.gif Welcome all iloveyou.gif

:feelgood
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    David TaylorDavid Taylor Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    How old am I?

Where do I live?
    Gainesville, FL. Originally from Australia, but transplanted here in 2001. I miss home!

My family?
    My wife Jacqui and children Hannah and Ben. All the remaining family are back in Australia.

How long have I been shooting? Film? Digital?
    My first contact with cameras was back in 6th grade primary school when we were given one to photograph something that symbolized what school meant to us. Needless to say that I have absolutely no idea what it was I shot that day. From that point I've had a few film cameras, but I got my first and only digital camera (20D) in 2004.

What's my favorite subject?

I don't consider myself to have a favorite subject...yet. However, I get a kick out of sreaming jet aircraft, but don't have enough access here to photograph them. I guess I'd just like to better develop my creative abilities in many situations.

What do I do for money?
    I see dead stuff. I'm a veterinary pathologist and clinical assistant professor within the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Florida.

What other hobbies do I have?
    Both my children think I'm a camera and computer geek. True, I do spend many hours behind the viewfinder and in front of the monitor. I also enjoy cycling, swimming, exploring and travelling.
  • Options
    mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    How old am I?

Where do I live?
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada until September and then who knows....
    I consider myself a Texan having lived all but 5 years of my life there.

My family?
    Wife Jennifer, almost 3 yo daughter and another child due at the end of August.

How long have I been shooting? Film? Digital?
    I started with a 126 Instamatic camera, moved to 110, then finally to 35mm compact. My wife lost my 35mm compact and bought me my first SLR, a Minolta which I used to take Photography in college (one of the last classes to actually use the darkroom - its now a computer lab). I started working with digital way back in 1997 with a Toshiba PDR-2. Later moved to a Fuji 2600 and in December 2003 starting shooting with a Digital Rebel.

What's my favorite subject?

My daughter. She is a natural beauty and mom has her trained for the camera. Between my wife, my mom and dad and my wife's mom, my daughter has probably had over 20,000 pictures taken of her and she is not quite 3.

What do I do for money?
    I am a Computational Biologist. I write software to solve biological problems.
    I am working at UBC in Vancouver as a postdoctoral fellow. I am studying one bacteria which breaks down toxic waste (like PCBs, DDT, RDX, etc.) and utilizes it for its own energy. Another project involves a bacteria that produces novel antibiotics which can kill the antibiotic-resistant staph. I was also a team member on the human genome project.

What other hobbies do I have?
    One would think that after 50 hours a week on a computer at work I would want to leave it alone. However, after I put my daughter to bed I spend several more hours in front of the screen playing on-line first person shooters, or my new hobby of trying to figure out how to get SM to do what I want.

Greetings all!

-- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    Welcome Mike, David and Ed!
  • Options
    Helen SHelen S Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    How old are you?
    46 (damn time flies)

Where do you live?

Booborowie, South Australia... which for the non-Aussies (and some of the "locals" amongst us) is 33 kilometres (16 miles) northeast of the Clare Valley, where some of Australia's finest wines are produced. We have a modest little house on 28 acres and our nearest neighbour is 2kms (1¼ miles) away.

Family?
    Loving husband and 4 children. Daughter 27, son 25, daughter 23 and daughter 18. Also part of the family are 7 horses, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 2 birds and a tortoise.

I started my interest in photography at around age 12 with my parent's Box Brownie and went on to have fun for a couple of years with a Kodak instamatic. Then the hormones kicked in and serious photography went by the wayside for a number of years. I did take snapshots throughout the years of my children as they grew up and some holiday snaps with my husband's Canon AE1 + Program as well, certainly no regrets there, but it was the purchase of my first point and shoot digital that really sparked my interest back in photography. After 12 months of playing with my Canon A40, I bought the Canon 300D (Rebel) and have not looked back... nearly up to 10,000 photos with this camera.

To photograph? There's actually more than one favourite, but sometimes they encompass the same thing... I'm dead-set keen on severe weather photography and also on landscapes... I'm also getting a keen interest in photographing horses.

Make my hubby go out and earn it rolleyes1.gif ...not really, I actually get a small pittance from the government in the form of a carer's allowance for looking after my #2 daughter who's severely intellectually disabled. I love every minute of it and (don't tell the government) I'd happily do it for free. :):

I'm a keen Lord of the Rings fan and try to collect anything pertaining to the movies (within budget of course). And when I have a little spare time I like to go horse riding, but that a big luxury these days.
    www.ospreyphotography.com

Canon cameras, Lenses and accessories.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    Helen S wrote:
    How old are you?
    46 (damn time flies)

Where do you live?

Booborowie, South Australia... which for the non-Aussies (and some of the "locals" amongst us) is 33 kilometres (16 miles) northeast of the Clare Valley

G'day Helen & welcome to d/grin...we do love more aussies.

That would put you right at Burra 'eh ?. My family came from there 110 years ago. I worked on & off down there a while back building the remote power station hooked up to the moomba gas field. I was installing & testing the transformers there.

Great pub ! You sure have your share of australias fly population thats for sure. I had to wear a fly net over my hat to stop breathing them in !

I will certainly be expecting to see some photos of all those old stone farm houses along your roads..i remember they seemed endless.
  • Options
    Helen SHelen S Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    Thanks for the welcome Gus. wave.gif

Actually we're northwest of Burra... exactly halfway between Burra and Spalding.

Now which pub might that be? Burra has 5 of them... more pubs per capita than anywhere else I'm told.rolleyes1.gif Little old Booborowie... or Boob as it's affectionately known by the locals also has its own cute little pub. I've had it in my mind to do a pub crawl, not to drink but to photograph... well maybe a couple of schooners along the way might be inspirational. mwink.gif

I must say, I've checked out a lot of photography forums, even subscribed to a few, but this is by far the best I've come across and I've been spreading the word. I'm really looking forward to my continued learning in the wonderful world of photography.

...and I'll get some of those old buildings on CF card, too.:D

Cheers, Helen
    www.ospreyphotography.com

Canon cameras, Lenses and accessories.
  • Options
    simplykristisimplykristi Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    I Am New to Dgrin
    Hi All,
    I am new to the forum. I signed up from SmugMug on January 1, 2006. I was looking for a place on the web to store my thousands and thousands of digital pics. :)

How old are you?

Where do you live?

Near Kansas City, Missouri

Family?
    I am single. I am Mom to three furkids: Callie, my nearly fourteen year old shorthair domestic cat, Tinkerbell, my four year old smoky blue chihuahua, and Romeo, my four year old white long-haired chihuahua. I am aunt to four awesome nieces.

I mever got into photogtaphy until I bought my first digital camera in December 2001 when I bought a Fujifilm FinePix 2600Z. I bight a Canon PowerShot G3 during summer 2003. In July 2005, I bought a Canon PowerShot G6. I am disappointed that Canon has discontunued the G series! I am hooked on photography!

Right noow I work for a life insurance company as an underwriting assistant. My future plan is to go back to school and get an associate's in paralegal.

I enjoy reading (non-fication)and listening to music. I also enjoy surfing the internet.

Kristi near KCMO
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Kristi near KCMO

Welcome to the club! thumb.gif You'll fit right in....we're all addicts here!:photo :D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    almostlightheartedalmostlighthearted Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    about me.
    Im Jennifer
    Jenny.
    Jenn.
    Whichever.
    Im 28 from long island, ny and recently moved to NJ. I live (happily iloveyou.gif ) w/ my boyfriend Athos who is also a photographer who posts on this forum.

my journey began when i was a young child. Ive always had a fascination with prints and the idea of captured moments. I think i get it from my parents..

It's been about 3 years that ive been shooting as a passionate/obsessed photographer. My skills have developed with digital. First, the canon s50. Now, the canon 30D. In addition i have a serious addiction to photoshop.

I work in the field of graphic design and enjoy the work i do.

Paid work?? photographers get paid???!! lol
    I was a part time photographer at the Picture People studio and plan on continuing to do work seasonally there.
    Besides that, i've just started the whole shameless self promotion thing and hope to improve my portfolio and make a name for myself.

and thats about it.

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2006
    Welcome Kristi and Jennifer!

Ian
  • Options
    KevinKevin Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2006
    How old are you? that's privileged info eek7.gif ONLY reason I wont answer is coz next year, this statement becomes invalid! Are YOU gonna come back and update it eh???? mwink.gif
    Where do you live? South Africa HONEST!
    Family? does "the MOB" count rolleyes1.gif
    How long have you been shooting? Film? Digital? Do "hits" count too :D
    What's your favorite subject? Sniper Rifles ? whad'cha expect ?
    What do you do for money? Contractor headscratch.gif
    What other hobbies do you have? Shooting things thumb.gif

sorry, used your suggestions, here I go ...
    Kevin, South African, work to buy stuff, grow old, retire, buy newer stuff ::cry
    Kevin.
    the Photo Muse: http://the-photo-muse.blogspot.com
  • Options
    almostlightheartedalmostlighthearted Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Welcome Kristi and Jennifer!

Ian

thanks!clap.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Bump
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Helen S wrote:

Where do you live?

Booborowie, South Australia... which for the non-Aussies (and some of the "locals" amongst us) is 33 kilometres (16 miles) northeast of the Clare Valley, where some of Australia's finest wines are produced. We have a modest little house on 28 acres and our nearest neighbour is 2kms (1¼ miles) away.

Hi there Helen, I see Gus has already made the Ozzie connection rolleyes1.gif
    The Ozzies on the forum are pretty spread out,
    I'm down in Geelong, well further down the coast, but Geelong is where I work.

We're keen to get the Ozzie Population up here on Dgrin,
    just cause we can hehehe!

I'm glad you found the Forum, there is plent here to keep your searching for decades, if you get lost just yell and we'll send out a search part to look for ya okay thumb.gif

Welcome to Dgrin ........... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    I have never seen this thread until gus bumped it, but I've spent a shocking amount of time reading it from the beginning. It's wonderful hearing the stories of people I have gotten to "know" here and who have been here from the start.