Options

Photo Assignment for the Week: 4/16 - 4/23

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited April 26, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's your photo assignment for this week: Contrast.

• As always, photos must be fresh - taken this week, not stuff you've got hanging around on your computer.
  • You've got a choice here...light object on a dark background or dark object on a light background.
We're gonna trying something new this week. Cletus, our new Photoshop Assignment czar has posted his first weekly Digital Darkroom Assignment. It's highly recommended that you combine the two assignments if at all possible. Extra credit, if you will.

Have at it.

Advanced spin: I'm going to pass on the AS this week, to give folks a chance to adjust to the new format and synergy of the two assignments.
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2004
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2004
    Now you're talking, Gubbs. That's exactly the kind of pic we're looking for! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    M43515366-M-1.jpg
    Nice shot Gubbs... is that the M4 in England??
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2004
    old apple tree....
  • Options
    Rolling StoneRolling Stone Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2004
    1610203-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2004
    Luminox.
    3527752-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2004
    Man... Four pictures up so far and all four are great clap.gif

You guys are going to scare everyone away lol3.gif
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2004
    Taken this week...
    ...five days ago is still this week, right? :D

3530558-M.jpg

I forgot to keep a copy of the cropped color version before converting it to B&W (and I don't want to wade through a ton of undo's). So, to see the original, I had to go back to the pre-cropped version:

3530801-M.jpg

I think the b&w version looks much better than the original (even if you crop out the people and some of the blownout sky).
  • Options
    Max PowerMax Power Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2004
    Ok Ok, I shot this a week ago but with the contrast theme being the goal. I am not re shooting it. rolleyes1.gif

3371886-L.jpg
    "Um... Sir... Your lens cap is still on"
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Nice shot Gubbs... is that the M4 in England??
    Yes it is England, can't you tell by the weather? I took it on the way to work.
    Thanks - Jon
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2004
    Jebus thwack...your punchin' out some beauties...i like the top B&W. got ansel written all over it mate thumb.gif
  • Options
    peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2004
    Shot on the 12th.... (I just can't stop breaking the rules.....)
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Jebus thwack...your punchin' out some beauties...i like the top B&W. got ansel written all over it mate thumb.gif

Thanks for the kind words! Seeing the before picture in color kind of surprised me how much better the cropped B&W version came out. I wouldn't have thought the crummy original had it in it and wouldn't have tried if it weren't for the challenge here. I'm having a blast (and still have way too much to learn).

I forgot to describe what process I used to convert the image to B&W. I'm lame, so I used the "B & W" button in iPhoto and let it do the work for me.

I'll have to read up a bit on doing it using other methods, but for this shot, iPhoto did a pretty good job.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2004
    Tree Bark
    3538386-M.jpg Busy week. Not much to choose from. Here's my best attempt for this week.

Conversion to B&W was in Photoshop Elements. Lowered saturation to 0. Adjusted mid tone levels and highlight levels. Bumped up overall contrast +8.

3538385-M.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    It's hard for me to do non-b&W contrast shots...I'll have to work at it some more.

3541996-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    fish wrote:
    It's hard for me to do non-b&W contrast shots...I'll have to work at it some more.

3541996-L.jpg

What r you using for a light source?
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    That shot was a little bit of ambient at 3 o'clock and overhead fluorescent tubes.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    fish wrote:
    That shot was a little bit of ambient at 3 o'clock and overhead fluorescent tubes.

It would be cool to see that shot again using a single point source of light. Maybe play with your flash from your point and shoot at 90 degrees, 3 o'clock, if you don't have a secondary flash for your 10D. Try it in a completely dark room. Set your camera up like you did before. Push the button and while the shutter is open, fire your secondary flash from the side to cast some shadows. It will take some experimenting to get the right distance to hold your flash source from the subject.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    Koala.
    3546006-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Koala.
    3546006-L.jpg

Very cool. What's the story on the coin.
  • Options
    Rolling StoneRolling Stone Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2004
    Trees on the Island

1610031-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    Max Power wrote:
    Very cool. What's the story on the coin.
    Thanks. Nothing too special...1980 Ozzie Koala. 10grams. Reminds me of Humongus. ;) Actually, it just happened to be easy to get to and could be removed from its plastic case. The next two are a bit more special, but were in plastic cases and difficult to shoot and process. Obviously, I'm a hack at photoshop.

Here's a 1oz Singapore Bunny.
    3547210-L.jpg

1881 UNC Silver Dollar from Carson City mint.
    3547212-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    Max Power wrote:
    Ok Ok, I shot this a week ago but with the contrast theme being the goal. I am not re shooting it. rolleyes1.gif

Here's yer damn minute. 1drink.gif

3547755-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Here's yer damn minute. 1drink.gif

3547755-S-1.jpg
    That's cool! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    That's cool! thumb.gif
    Thank you. :andy

You have no idea how long it took or how many bits I wasted working on that watch. :bash
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2004
    Dark and Light
    Last Friday morning in my neighborhood...

3516078-L.jpg

...and yesterday in Suzhou, about an hour west of here by train...

3546722-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2004
    Too many outdoors/big shots...need more small stuff
    Tied tonight, shot tonight...fished in the near future.

3548527-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2004
    Dax Headlight
    I use Photoimpact's convert to 16bit grayscale then adjusted the gamma and brightness down very slightly.
    3551170-M.jpg

and the original (I prefer this one)
    3551169-M.jpg
  • Options
    peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    and the original (I prefer this one)
    3551169-M.jpg

me too... like it better....

Nice car you've got there.... original?/rebuilt?/yourz at all?
    (good job on the polishing ..... plus on the "hiding-job" ) thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Last Friday morning in my neighborhood...

3516078-L.jpg

...and yesterday in Suzhou, about an hour west of here by train...

3546722-L.jpg
    Nice Duotone Damon, I really like the first one, got a thing about mist..:D