• Options
    rescue951rescue951 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2004
    Found a
    painting on a wall. The color was wonderful. later
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2004
    took it last week does it fit the assignment?
    normallight.jpg
    normallightsmallbw.jpg
    sunthrough.jpg
    lightthrough2bw.jpg
    lightthroughsmallbw.jpg
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    RachelBruneRachelBrune Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2004
    gypsy77360 wrote:
    Cheated a bit w/ iPhoto for B&W.
    Ha! There's no such thing as cheating. Photos are photos whether they become art through good composition, or if you create the composition later with your (digital) darkroom.
    Just my opinion. Nice work. :-)
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Here's your photo assignment for this week: Contrast.

• As always, photos must be fresh - taken this week, not stuff you've got hanging around on your computer.
    • You've got a choice here...light object on a dark background or dark object on a light background.
    We're gonna trying something new this week. Cletus, our new Photoshop Assignment czar has posted his first weekly Digital Darkroom Assignment. It's highly recommended that you combine the two assignments if at all possible. Extra credit, if you will.

PHOTOSHOP & PHOTO CHALLENGE
    My entry into this weeks assignment, is RoRy EliZaBeTh, born 3:05am Easter Sunday, 11 April 2004, weighing in at 7lbs 11oz & 20.5" long.

This was one of her first photos. Taken just 5 days after she was born, and she is rather jaundiced. So, I knew I would be converting some of them to B&W anyway.

Made touch up to any outstanding Blemishes.
    Checked and Adjusted Levels & Curves
    Changed the Mode to Grayscale
    re-Adjusted Levels
    Curves
    Contrast
    Mode-DuoTone
    Selected PANTONE 7533 C & PANTONE 1405 C

I remain,
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2004
    Everyone is doing an impressive job. great photos. This photo was taken while I was bicycling past the Director's Guild on Sunset Blvd. I desaturated the photo and used curves to brighten it up.

33%3A5633523232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3A37%3D56%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3C%3B325693ot1lsi

33%3A5633523232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3A37%3D56%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3C%3B3256%3B9ot1lsi
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2004
    Congratulations to the parents of the beautiful baby girl. I prefer the B& W version.
    AltPro wrote:
    fish wrote:
    Here's your photo assignment for this week: Contrast.

• As always, photos must be fresh - taken this week, not stuff you've got hanging around on your computer.
    • You've got a choice here...light object on a dark background or dark object on a light background.
    We're gonna trying something new this week. Cletus, our new Photoshop Assignment czar has posted his first weekly Digital Darkroom Assignment. It's highly recommended that you combine the two assignments if at all possible. Extra credit, if you will.

PHOTOSHOP & PHOTO CHALLENGE
    My entry into this weeks assignment, is RoRy EliZaBeTh, born 3:05am Easter Sunday, 11 April 2004, weighing in at 7lbs 11oz & 20.5" long.

This was one of her first photos. Taken just 5 days after she was born, and she is rather jaundiced. So, I knew I would be converting some of them to B&W anyway.

Made touch up to any outstanding Blemishes.
    Checked and Adjusted Levels & Curves
    Changed the Mode to Grayscale
    re-Adjusted Levels
    Curves
    Contrast
    Mode-DuoTone
    Selected PANTONE 7533 C & PANTONE 1405 C

I remain,
    ginette
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2004
    Thanks! I do too.
    Sandy wrote:
    Congratulations to the parents of the beautiful baby girl. I prefer the B& W version.

Thanks, Sandy! I do too.
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    ArgusphotoArgusphoto Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2004
    Cookout
    I posted the color version earlier. Using Photoshop, I changed the mode to B&W, then selected the grill and adjusted the mid-levels to make them lighter. Finally, selecting the whole picture, I used levels to make it darker.

3586894-M.jpg

Would you like fries with that?
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2004
    Another of my feeble attempts.

3587070-L.jpg

PS ,and Pathfinder it is good you are getting that DR dirty.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2004
    Interesting...just let the mind wander.
    Shakey wrote:
    Another of my feeble attempts.

3587070-L.jpg

PS ,and Pathfinder it is good you are getting that DR dirty.
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2004
    That's me, my mind does wander a bit. :D

Here is the original before B&W conversion.

I call this shot Eye Shadow
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    man vs nature
    color version previously posted.

3603245-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    Tracy
    This time I will post the B&W first.

3603241-M.jpg

3603240-M.jpg
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2004
    Another thing an pint&shoot can do...
    ... go cycling:

3603541-L.jpg

3603557-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    Argusphoto wrote:
    This time I will post the B&W first.

3603241-M.jpg

3603240-M.jpg
    I like the color much better in this case. What was gained in B+W? The beautiful skin color was lost...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    That's me, my mind does wander a bit. :D

Here is the original before B&W conversion.

I call this shot Eye Shadow
    This is another case where I think something valuable was lost by the converstion (the great feather color) but don't understand what was gained.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    AltPro wrote:

Very nice baby shot. Why convert to B&W? I think she is more beautiful in color.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2004
    Love the cycling one. I have to try that when I get back to the States.

3603541-L.jpg

3603557-L.jpg[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2004
    I took this on Good Friday but only got a chance to look properly at it today!

I use Photoimpact and as far as I know can only use the "Data type" "16Bit Grayscale" option to convert to B&W. I then adjust contrast/brightness/gamma. Using my colour shot can anyone give me examples of what you can do with B&W using PS. Many Thanks
    Jon
    3603923-L.jpg
    3603927-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    Okay, here's my stab - a little SFX. I grayscaled it in PS Elements, then scaled down the brightness two notches and bumped up the Contrast by about 25. Now, it looks like a Jersey swamp! (There's the Jerse devil... peeking out of the undergrowth... )
    gubbs wrote:

I use Photoimpact and as far as I know can only use the "Data type" "16Bit Grayscale" option to convert to B&W. I then adjust contrast/brightness/gamma. Using my colour shot can anyone give me examples of what you can do with B&W using PS. Many Thanks
    Jon
    3603923-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    Nice swamp Rachel. I have relatives in NJ. Looks like Spring on the east coast.

Okay, here's my stab - a little SFX. I grayscaled it in PS Elements, then scaled down the brightness two notches and bumped up the Contrast by about 25. Now, it looks like a Jersey swamp! (There's the Jerse devil... peeking out of the undergrowth... )
    gubbs wrote:

Jon
    3603923-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    Once upon a time when there was only Black & White contrast was everything.

33%3A56%3B2723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3A37%3D56%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3C%3B89%3B5%3B8ot1lsi
    Photographer Sid Whiting 1920-30's St. Louis, MO
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Once upon a time when there was only Black & White contrast was everything.

33%3A56%3B2723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3A37%3D56%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3C%3B89%3B5%3B8ot1lsi
    Photographer Sid Whiting 1920-30's St. Louis, MO
    In this case, I don't wonder what the reason for B&W was. And I'm not sure color would have added anything.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    gubbs wrote:

Jon
    3603923-L.jpg
    When this shot is converted to B&W it will lose the beautiful water colors, which are it's best features IMHO. I think postprocessing energy would be better expended in recovering or recreating a sky. You can see from the reflection in the water that the sky had some blue.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    It is spring here, but I was just messing around with Jon's photo, as per his invitation. :-) For some reason I like the faux horror movie feel of the high contrast you get from playing around with the photoshop tool. Also, my friends just gave me a "Weird NJ" book for my birthday and now everything looks like a potential horror movie.
    Hey, what's photography if not fun?
    Sandy wrote:
    Nice swamp Rachel. I have relatives in NJ. Looks like Spring on the east coast.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 20, 2004
    Funny, or rather interesting, how many submissions are b/w. I just looked at the assignment topic on saturday and didn't really look at any posts. So today, i go to submit some, and lo and behold, lots of bw! Mine are too, nothin too good though, spent the long weekend on the road (can you guess where i went?):
    :D

2004-04-16.jpg

2004-04-19.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    When this shot is converted to B&W it will lose the beautiful water colors, which are it's best features IMHO. I think postprocessing energy would be better expended in recovering or recreating a sky. You can see from the reflection in the water that the sky had some blue.
    Your right, the sky was a beautiful blue but I'm new to this and was shooting towards the sun, so if the sky had been correctly exposed I think I would of lost the colours in the water and of the grasses. Advice?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Your right, the sky was a beautiful blue but I'm new to this and was shooting towards the sun, so if the sky had been correctly exposed I think I would of lost the colours in the water and of the grasses. Advice?
    Thanks
    If you took a shot of the sky at about the same time, you could blend it in pretty easily. Otherwise, you have to find one that works, or perhaps you could do something with the blue from the water. So perhaps you have a shot with the sky properly exposed?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    If you took a shot of the sky at about the same time, you could blend it in pretty easily. Otherwise, you have to find one that works, or perhaps you could do something with the blue from the water. So perhaps you have a shot with the sky properly exposed?

I always was taught to expose for the shadows, and print for the highlights... Works pretty well for me, most of the time...
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    I always was taught to expose for the shadows, and print for the highlights... Works pretty well for me, most of the time...
    Very nice. How did you do it, exactly?
    If not now, when?