Options

Grassroots dgrin shootout - The Mother Road

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 30, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    kdog: just how many Jeeps do you have?eek7.gif Plus a Suburban rolleyes1.gif
    Silver Rubicon - my toy
    Surburban - family car
    Camo Jeep - A joke, which pretty much sums up my view of that thread. deal.gif

-joel
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    I think the problem for the thread is tht it got moved out of Journeys....to me this is a Journey thread.......when I think of location thread I go looking for info on 1 or 2 specfic places......

As I stated waaaaaay back......I would really like to shoot as much as possible and the Ks area would be nice and I also could shoot in Mo (western to mid section) and some of OK at least down to the Tulsa are and maybe on west to around OKC before turning back north to Wichita......I would also like to shoot over in NM but I may not have the gas funds for that much especially if doing this on 1 weekend......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    Art Scott wrote:
    I think the problem for the thread is tht it got moved out of Journeys....to me this is a Journey thread.......when I think of location thread I go looking for info on 1 or 2 specfic places......

As I stated waaaaaay back......I would really like to shoot as much as possible and the Ks area would be nice and I also could shoot in Mo (western to mid section) and some of OK at least down to the Tulsa are and maybe on west to around OKC before turning back north to Wichita......I would also like to shoot over in NM but I may not have the gas funds for that much especially if doing this on 1 weekend......

Do you drive a magic carpet?? rolleyes1.gif

That sounds like a lot of ground to cover.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Do you drive a magic carpet?? rolleyes1.gif

That sounds like a lot of ground to cover.

No magic carpet.......however I figure I can start 50-100 miles into Mo and head south to Okla and I may even be able to rustle up another shooter or 2 (not Dgrinners yet....but by then who knows).......I think I could cover 200-500 miles or so......if we did it over say 2-4 weekends....allowing for weather interuptions or vehicle probs that could slow down shooters then I know I could pull it off.....as this was mentioned by a friend of my sisters, to do a road trip and shoot all of Route 66 from Chicago to the coast.......so this has been in my mind for a while.......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    I'd be interested in doing some of the Arizona section. As someone said, it's a long haul from Phoenix, so I'm not anxious to do a lot of scouting in advance, but I've driven some of it. I'll have to check a map, but I think there's a stretch near the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest that still has some of the classic "kitsch".
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    EarthDog wrote:
    I'd be interested in doing some of the Arizona section. As someone said, it's a long haul from Phoenix, so I'm not anxious to do a lot of scouting in advance, but I've driven some of it. I'll have to check a map, but I think there's a stretch near the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest that still has some of the classic "kitsch".
    That sounds great, EarthDog. Would love to hear more about it.

-joel
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Aaron and Joel: Count me in for the AZ contingent. wings.gif
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great!!
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:

thumb.gif

clap.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Anyone have an ideas how to get the other six states involved?

It is kind of funny that only Arizona and California people have indicated interest. Ooops - and Art, can't forget him.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    Found it!
    kdog wrote:
    That sounds great, EarthDog. Would love to hear more about it.

I thought for awhile that the map was going to call me an idiot, but I finally got it to cough up the info. They call it "Old Highway 66" or "Old US Highway 66" in Holbrook, AZ. There are several stretches of it shown in Google Maps.

The one stretch I think I'm remembering, through downtown, isn't designated as such on the map, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't. Being a decommissioned road, there's no reason for it to be marked, really. On the other hand, it's been a few years since I was there, so it may merit some scouting beforehand, if anyone's in the neighborhood.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    EarthDog, have you seen this? http://www.historic66.com/arizona/det-az1.html

It's got Holbrook and the surrounding areas. Dunno how accurate it is, and the author evidently didn't find much there except for the Wigwam hotel.

And of course somebody has got to shoot Winslow. :D

-joel
  • Options
    EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    Count me in for Albuquerque at least. I may be able to do a bit more of new mexico depending on time. Sounds fun!

Jake
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 5, 2008
    Wow, this is a great idea! You can count me in for the CA contingent.

Rt 66, through most of Los Angeles is represented as Santa Monica Blvd and goes right out to the water's edge. (Although Rt 66 ended at Broadway, downtown back about 1929). We still have historic Rt 66 markers along the road. I'll try to dig up some earlier shots.
  • Options
    J-N DesignJ-N Design Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I'm in Central MO and could probably do a stretch of it.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    I'm very interested in the Southern CA portion.
    I like fall b/c it's fall, yea.
    I think starting from Route 66 in Quaint So. Pasadena and then going towards Bakersfield would be nice.
    I think this old pharmacy and soda shop would make a nice historic starting point.
    http://www.fairoakspharmacy.net/index2.html
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2008
    Here is a guide for the CA part.
    http://www.rjsmith.com/rt66-ca-ew.html
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2008
    Here is another itinerary from SM pier.
    I don't think the SM pier and the 110Fwy would be very photogenic though.
    Start at intersection of Ocean Ave. and Santa Monica Blvd.
    Head east on Santa Monica Blvd. Through Beverly Hills and West Hollywood
    Right onto Sunset Blvd. south.
    110 Freeway North. It ends on Arroyo Parkway.
    Follow it North, It runs into Colorado Blvd.
    Take Colorado Blvd. East; It curves around Santa Anita racetrack.
    Follow to Huntington Dr. East, through Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte
    Turns into Foothill, then Alosta, back into Foothill.
    Follow Foothill East through La Verne to Rancho Cucamonga
    • See Rt. 66 Territory Museum in Rancho Cucamonga: 909-948-9166 At rear of Thomas Winery Plaza on Foothill Blvd. at Vineyard
    Follow Foothill East through Fontana, Rialto
    Foothill becomes 5th Street. Follow east
    Left onto Mount Vernon Ave.
    Right on Cajon Blvd., follow it North.
    It dead-ends, get on 215 North to 15 North.
    Exit I-15 at Kenwood Ave., go under freeway.
    Turn Right on Cajon Blvd. again, follow it about 5 miles. (One half of the divided highway is open- looks like CalTrans gave up on half of the road!)
    Get on I-15 North
    Get off at 7th Street North.
    Take National Trails Highway North (left).
    Follow it east to Barstow, it becomes Main Street.
    Main Street becomes National Trails Highway again.
    Follow it East.
    At Marine Corps Logistics Base, get on I-40 East.
    Exit Nebo street, turn Left to National Trails Highway.
    Take National Trails Highway East. (Right)
    Almost to Ludlow, take a quick left onto Lavic, then Right back onto National Trails Highway.
    • Roy's Café: Lots of Route 66 Memorabilia, absolutely killer milkshakes! [Section about a road closure removed (road is long since open again]
    At Essex, turn Left on Goffs Road. Cross I-40.
    At Goffs, the Goffs road Bears Right. Stay with it.
    Take US-95 South
    Take I-40 South
    Take US-95 South to Five Mile Station Road. It's unmarked, but it's there. Turn left at the 'Y' in the road.
    Take Five Mile Station Road East to I-40.
    Take I-40 East into Arizona. Avoid signs telling you to exit for Route 66 before you get to Arizona. They're for old alignments that no longer exist.

Link to the source.
    http://www.historic66.com/california/de1.html
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2008
    clap.gif Great to see more people jumping on board. First post has been updated, and I will be keeping the list of participants there.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    EarthDog, have you seen this? http://www.historic66.com/arizona/det-az1.html

It's got Holbrook and the surrounding areas. Dunno how accurate it is, and the author evidently didn't find much there except for the Wigwam hotel.

No, I hadn't seen that. Thanks! It's true they only list a couple other "highlights" for Holbrook, but that puts Holbrook ahead of the rest of the cities/towns mentioned. And the WigWam is, in many minds, the definitive image of Rte 66. Heck, they used it in that cartoon movie Cars.
    And of course somebody has got to shoot Winslow. :D

Standing on a corner, of course. :D Anyone have a flatbed Ford we can borrow for an hour?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 6, 2008
    Lori,

I did not see a timetable yet, do you have a schedule yet?

Nightingale and I may be able to help in Illinois, Missouri, or Oklahoma. We would love to do New Mexico and Arizona but they are a long way from Indiana these days.

I drove 66 several times in the 1960's. Kathy and I found Ted Drewes ice creamery recently in St Louis

320138208_awEDx-L.jpg

I have few shots from Holbrook and Winslow Az as well

60308695_dGdFY-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2008
    Hi Pathfinder, I'm still waiting to see the interest level before we nail down the dates.

My initial thought was to try for the spring (April through early May), depending on when the northern folks decided it had warmed up enough for them, but desert temps were still moderate enough for those of us in the southwest. That would give us a good six months to plan the event.

If we don't get any interest from the northern states, it just won't be the same. :cry But if nothing else, at least we'll have a few groups get together to shoot, things can be more flexible, and we'll still have a lot of fun.

I'll add your names to the list and make sure to pm you with any updates so you don't have to keep checking the thread.

That's quite a crowd at Ted Drewes! Do you have any photos from the 60's? It would be fun to compare then and now.

Lori
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I drove 66 several times in the 1960's. Kathy and I found Ted Drewes ice creamery recently in St Louis
    Hey Ted's in this video.:D
    http://www.billboll.com/coral_court.htm

http://www.coralcourt.com/main.html
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]F[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ew motels on Route 66, or anywhere for that matter, elicit the wide variety of responses as [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    the Coral Court Motel in St. Louis, Missouri. For mystery, intrigue and sheer tawdriness, you
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]can’t beat the Coral Court.[/FONT]

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 6, 2008
    Lori, I do not remember taking any shots of Rte 66 back then, but I'll look through some old slides and see if I seen any. I look forward to hearing the groups plans.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    Depending upon the date I probably can cover some of Oklahoma. Route 66 comes right by where I live in the Tulsa area.

Mike Mattix

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Y'all might be interested in reading this
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2008
    I was hoping for earlier in the year.
    Cooler temp, crisper/cleaner air, golden hours that aren't so early and not as late.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 9, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    I was hoping for earlier in the year.
    Cooler temp, crisper/cleaner air, golden hours that aren't so early and not as late.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2008
    Angelo wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Me too, personally. Just trying to be considerate of our friends up north.

But as I said before, if it's just us peeps in the southwest, winter works for me. I'll be in that area all season anyway. :D
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2008
    I'm leaning towards a scouting trip next weekend.
    A shooter at lashooters who is familiar with the area states that now till 2nd or 3rd week in December may be the best b/c Feb/March tends to be very windy in the high dessert.