Options

Grassroots dgrin shootout - The Mother Road

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 14, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Y'all might be interested in reading this

Ben Wilmore's blog about shooting Rte 66 and his growth as a photographer is excellent, Anne. I loved it, and now I know why I liked my wigwam shot so much too:D

60308695_dGdFY-S.jpg

Shooting in the winter, rather than spring might give a different voice to the images we all shoot also. What's wrong with trying to capture all of the seasons, as well?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Anyone interested in trying out the route 66 in SoCal this weekend of 10/18?
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Anyone interested in trying out the route 66 in SoCal this weekend of 10/18?

I wish I wasn't booked solid the next few weeks. Would've loved to have joined you this weekend. Are you out there shooting now?

Well, it looks like the only interest in this project was from us SW people, so I guess I have to scrap the idea of doing one big dgrin nationwide photowalk event.

But I'd still love to get together with anyone interested in doing it locally, and maybe we could work west-east and meet up with Arizona folks? I think the light is best in the winter in the desert anyway...so that's always my personal preference. If we don't have to worry about any northern folks, we can do whatever works best for us.

What does everyone think? Still interested?
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    I wish I wasn't booked solid the next few weeks. Would've loved to have joined you this weekend. Are you out there shooting now?

Well, it looks like the only interest in this project was from us SW people, so I guess I have to scrap the idea of doing one big dgrin nationwide photowalk event.

But I'd still love to get together with anyone interested in doing it locally, and maybe we could work west-east and meet up with Arizona folks? I think the light is best in the winter in the desert anyway...so that's always my personal preference. If we don't have to worry about any northern folks, we can do whatever works best for us.

I am wings.gif
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:

I'm certainly still interested!!

I can't wait to show off my amazing $10 swap meet tripod!! rolleyes1.gif

I haven't done a lot of shooting in the desert, but if winter is when the light's the best, then I'm good with that!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    Went for a quick one day 400 mile round trip on Sat. I posted a thread about it here. So far I've got about a quarter of the trip up.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=946224#post946224
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    OK,
    finished the post.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Well, it looks like the only interest in this project was from us SW people, so I guess I have to scrap the idea of doing one big dgrin nationwide photowalk event. What does everyone think? Still interested?
    Maybe you need to make it National, instead of just Route 66? How you may ask?
    Tee Why wrote:
    Went for a quick one day 400 mile round trip on Sat. I posted a thread about it here. So far I've got about a quarter of the trip up.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=946224#post946224
    Tee Why touches on it in the above thread, excerpted below:
    Tee Why wrote:
    I’m not a historian but I believe Route 66 was the first road that connected all the way west to the West coast, ending by the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica.
    Yes, Route 66, with many realignments, ran from Santa Monica to Chicago.

But the National Old Trails Highway actually veers off of Route 66 at St. Louis and jumps onto US Rt 40 (America's Golden Highway) and meeting up with the National Road (with its own long history) in Vandalia IL. The original National Road then runs to Cumberland Maryland. Then there are extensions/additions that push it to Baltimore MD. From there the National Old Trails jumps up to New York (US Rt 40 goes to Atlantic City).

So a National Old Trails Highway shoot could get people east of St Louis involved.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    Route 66 Community on SmugMug
    Wow, I completely forgot I started a Route 66 community on SmugMug nearly two years ago. If you shoot something along Route 66, please join the community!

http://www.smugmug.com/community/Route66
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    ...I think the light is best in the winter in the desert anyway...so that's always my personal preference. If we don't have to worry about any northern folks, we can do whatever works best for us.

It's ok with me, but didn't I see a few midWestern volunteers? I thought there were folks from the Kansas/Nebraska/Illinois who were interested.
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.
  • Options
    Desert RatDesert Rat Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    Well in nearly November I should be driving Route 66 from Flagstaff back to LA as much as I am able to in a few days...
    Eric the Desert Rat :scratch
    Los Angeles, CA :yikes

You can check out my ongoing website at the following http://www.pbase.com/desertrat99

Photography isn't about the Zone System or any other Ansel Adams nonsense.
    It's simply about seeing. You either see or you don't see, the rest is
    academic.
    ~ Elliot Erwitt ~
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 21, 2008
    Desert Rat wrote:
    Well in nearly November I should be driving Route 66 from Flagstaff back to LA as much as I am able to in a few days...

I'll buy you coffee or a beer if you have time when you pass through Kingman. deal.gif
  • Options
    dreamlessdreamless Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I might be interested in helping in Kansas but I would need some info as to when and where since I travel a lot. Let me know and I will do what I can.
  • Options
    Desert RatDesert Rat Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    I'll buy you coffee or a beer if you have time when you pass through Kingman. deal.gif
    Will let you know in a few days what day i will be in Kingman if i even make thr trip this year.. Things might be changing now... .
    Eric the Desert Rat :scratch
    Los Angeles, CA :yikes

You can check out my ongoing website at the following http://www.pbase.com/desertrat99

Photography isn't about the Zone System or any other Ansel Adams nonsense.
    It's simply about seeing. You either see or you don't see, the rest is
    academic.
    ~ Elliot Erwitt ~
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    TEXAS here
    Amarillo is a bit of a drive from here . . . but so is everyplace in Texas. Depending on the dates, I will do the Texas portion of Rt 66. Let me know the details.

For what it's worth, I agree with those who said this should go in the Journeys forum. I almost never look at the Location forum but just happened to do so today. Or maybe the Admin folks could start a new forum for DGrin shootouts and get-togethers and other events. That'd make it easier to find this kind of stuff. I've seen other threads where people offer to meet up with other DGrinners in their area, but it's been kind of hit-or-miss for me to find those. Just my two cents.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    I'm in the St Louis area so I'd be happy to participate in covering some ground. I could work my way from the IL side to mid Missouri.

glenn
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 23, 2008
    I am still interested also..

I plan to be in the SW the third week of February as well from Feb 11 until a later date to be decided:D

Weather permitting, Nightingale and I plan to wend our way along 66 eastbound starting in Kingman or there about, beginning around Feb 14-16.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2008
    I'm still in as well. wings.gif
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Im in Flagstaff just a stones throw from Rte 66.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    We still planning on doing this?

Weekend of February 14th-16th works best for me as it is a 3 day weekend.

That may not work for the married photogs though. rolleyes1.gif

Any directive at this point? ne_nau.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Aaron, good to see a vote for February! :D

We're moving to CA at the end of this month and due to visits along the way, we'll be driving Route 66 most (if not all) the way across.

I know that the last week of February probably doesn't count as "spring" but I didn't check on ye olde groundhog's report yesterday. lol3.gif
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    We still planning on doing this?

Weekend of February 14th-16th works best for me as it is a 3 day weekend.

That may not work for the married photogs though. rolleyes1.gif

That is also the weekend the big WPPI conference starts in Las Vegas.

As an aside, I've heard many wedding photographers are not happy with the dates of this conference. After all, Saturday February 14 is probably their biggest day of the year.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    That is also the weekend the big WPPI conference starts in Las Vegas.

As an aside, I've heard many wedding photographers are not happy with the dates of this conference. After all, Saturday February 14 is probably their biggest day of the year.

Well- I am still shooting parts of RT66 the weekend of Feb 14th and 15th with or without you all. rolleyes1.gif

Once I get my mind set on a location and time- it is on! deal.gif

Aaron Newman

• Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Somehow I missed this until today.

I would definitely be in for something like this. I live in Kansas City Mo and would be happy to be involved.
  • Options
    photographzphotographz Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    DH & I have been trying to plan a RT 66 vacation for a bit-travel the whole route, then up PCH and visit family in CA then back home (there's another highway that goes across the country with a history too, might be the "old national highway" someone else referred to). We live in Western NY, so any part of RT 66 is a bit of a drive. Depending on when/if this comes about, we might be in for part of IL as a "weekend" trip, or maybe begin the whole vacation with this. It's pretty hard to get that much time off of work for both of us though, so the whole trip has been a "someday" trip for years now.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Bump, just because I am curious to know if this happened or what the status is! ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Bump, just because I am curious to know if this happened or what the status is! ear.gif
    Zero
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Zero

Not true! Kdog and I met up and covered Seligman to Oatman and back to Kingman.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=122482

Not our fault the rest of you wimped out. blbl.gif

Aaron Newman