Options

Dgrin Shootout 2009: Acadia National Park, Maine -- October 7-11 2009

Comments

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Cool. Nice to know I haven't yet missed the boat on this one. I didn't know what the process was. And, I know that a lot of slots for the 2008 shootout were reserved by individuals at the Glacier event in 2007 (I had one slot and released it when my plans changed).

Although we were asked if we liked the idea of going to Arches at the Glacier shootout, none of us were "in" until after the shootout was over, and a thread was started with the info, and we sent in a deposit.

It was a first come, first served kind of a deal.
    I just got lucky to see the thread when I got home from work.

This year, with all the interest, I doubt if I'll be early enough to get a spot.
    Those that use a computer at/for work, will probably get the jump on me.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    It always seems like the clique knows when to sign up

:bigbs

Let's stop the nonsense talk, mkay?

1/2 the group this year was first timers.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    davev wrote:
    This year, with all the interest, I doubt if I'll be early enough to get a spot.
    Those that use a computer at/for work, will probably get the jump on me.
    That won't matter, from what the group has been discussing - fair oppty for all! FREE THE ACADIA 11!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 16, 2008
    If you're planning an Acadia wander, don't forget the Schoodic Peninsula. It's part of Acadia National Park, but it's on the mainland (as opposed to on Mt. Desert Island), next peninsula to the north & east. And it's gorgeous.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    That won't matter, from what the group has been discussing - fair oppty for all! FREE THE ACADIA 11!
    I have to agree wtih this. I know at least three of the "committee" (Nikolai, aktse, Ann McRae) and trust them - I would even trust them with my camera gearrolleyes1.gif

FWIW - I KNOW deal.gif the registration/sign-up process will be fair, lively, and will withstand any amount of scrutiny.

Patiently waiting for details to be hammered out and announced.
  • Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Date range updated: October 8-11 2009
    Nik, when you say October 8 - 11 do you mean arrival/checkin on the 8th, and departure/checkout on the 11th? The reason I ask is that for the Arches shootout the announced dates were 8 - 11, which was later (well in advance of the shootout) clarified to say that it included lodging for the night of the 11th, with checkout on the 12th.

Not a huge deal either way, but it can affect planning for time off from work, travel plans etc.

I'm really hoping I can make the 2009 shootout fit my schedule, I had planned on going to Arches until I had some other things come up over the summer...
    --Travis
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    I have to agree wtih this. I know at least three of the "committee" (Nikolai, aktse, Ann McRae) and trust them - I would even trust them with my camera gearrolleyes1.gif

FWIW - I KNOW deal.gif the registration/sign-up process will be fair, lively, and will withstand any amount of scrutiny.

Patiently waiting for details to be hammered out and announced.

Scott - thanks for the vote of confidence!!! We appreciate that!

ann
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Foochar wrote:
    Nik, when you say October 8 - 11 do you mean arrival/checkin on the 8th, and departure/checkout on the 11th? The reason I ask is that for the Arches shootout the announced dates were 8 - 11, which was later (well in advance of the shootout) clarified to say that it included lodging for the night of the 11th, with checkout on the 12th.

Not a huge deal either way, but it can affect planning for time off from work, travel plans etc.

I'm really hoping I can make the 2009 shootout fit my schedule, I had planned on going to Arches until I had some other things come up over the summer...

We are still hammering out the details, including hotel info. The announcement, when official, will contain all relevant details (and probably more, cuz April and I are capable of talking a lot!)

ann
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008

Fourth one here, and I swear I'm trustworthy, too! deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    Foochar wrote:

We're still hammering out the details, but October 11, 2009, is a Sunday. I imagine Saturday would be the last night due to limited vacation times. :D

Once we've gathered all the information, we'll be as clear as possible about this and other items in our final announcement. And, of course, we'll be here to answer any further questions that may crop up after the full details are announced. thumb.gif

Please continue asking. We're definitely ear.gif.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Fourth one here, and I swear I'm trustworthy, too! deal.gif
    I don't doubt it for a minute - but I don't know you! :cry

Hmmmm .... maybe we need to change that! wings.gif :ivar - as you appear to be only a couple hundreds miles from me. That would give me an opportunity to offer, in person, those bribes that might get me on the short list for the '09 Shootout! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    That is why you always split the bill after the fact and you never say anything about that third person :D
    Not to:deadhorse but that was not an option in this situation. Dgrin had to accomodate singles and assign rooms, which I know required juggling. Not quite like getting a room at the Motel 6 and sneaking your buddies in afterwards. rolleyes1.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    :bigbs

Let's stop the nonsense talk, mkay?

1/2 the group this year was first timers.

Andy:

I dont think that is a fair response to what I though was a reasonable request. I think it is impolite and insulting to me and ask that it be withdrawn.

I, for one, was blocked out this year, when I attempted to sign up almost immediately after its announcement.

The request was not worded as a complaint, just a request that the appearance of fairness be found.

I have two Smugmug accounts and have been an active member of the forums here since 2004. I do not appreciate the flip response - I have what is to me a legit concern and as both a customer and a member of this forum feel I have a right to share my thoughts.

You, as leader of the clique, can feel free to put all us mere mortals down - but as a representative of Dgrin and the supporting company need to show better respect for your customers.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 16, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    Andy:

I dont think that is a fair response to what I though was a reasonable request. I think it is impolite and insulting to me and ask that it be withdrawn.

I, for one, was blocked out this year, when I attempted to sign up almost immediately after its announcement.
    Hey now. The "Clique" comment was out of line and insulting to the good folks who put on the shootout. Speaking as one of the newbies on this trip, I can assure you I was in no clique, nor had I ever met any of the organizers. I don't have the exact dates, but registration was open for at least several days as I recall. I had no problem getting in, and I'm typically terrible about registering for these things.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    I am planning on joining you all in 2009. wings.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:

I don't understand how just because it's hugely popular that it's also cliquey? It sold out not because of insider trading, but because people saw the announcement and signed up.

I looked through my records, and I don't see you on the waiting list. Maybe it's because you're there under your real name (which I don't know)? Please do let me know if I dropped the ball in some way, or if it was a matter of you figuring it was filled so why bother

In any case, all that aside, we are also frustrated with how to distribute spots for this event. It's too popular is the problem. We did first-come-first-served this last time. We're looking at other alternatives this next time.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Hey, let me be clear. I have no issues and the upmost respect for all involved. The organizers are volunteers and they do this as a favor to all involved. I also completely understand that demand exceeds supply.

I have an issue that when I voiced my own issue that Andy choose to blow off my concerns and belittle me personally. I dont think it is appropriate for him to do so.

This isnt in any way about the organization of the event or who and how it was attended. I have respect for all those involved. I just ask that I recieve a little of that respect in return for my own opinions.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    ... and I'm typically terrible about registering for these things.

Maybe, but at least you can get to the car ontime (well, usually).
    :lol :lol
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    I have an issue that when I voiced my own issue that Andy choose to blow off my concerns and belittle me personally. I dont think it is appropriate for him to do so.
    Maybe it was your approach? ne_nau.gif I mean after all, you did flat-out accuse the organizers of applying favoritism to the registration process.

Perhaps a more constructive approach might have been "I would like to see a little more visibility into the registration process next time so that I don't miss the cut-off". I'm guessing that would have garnered a "thanks for your suggestion", as opposed to hurling accusations that raise the BS flag. I'm not known as Mr. Sensitivity, but even I can see that.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Maybe, but at least you can get to the car ontime (well, usually).
    Well, yeah. It's a different standard when you're holding the car keys. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Maybe it was your approach? ne_nau.gif I mean after all, you did flat-out accuse the organizers of applying favoritism to the registration process.

Perhaps a more constructive approach might have been "I would like to see a little more visibility into the registration process next time so that I don't miss the cut-off". I'm guessing that would have garnered a "thanks for your suggestion", as opposed to hurling accusations that raise the BS flag. I'm not known as Mr. Sensitivity, but even I can see that.

Hey, it's all good. Let's not get up in arms about this one. A difference of opinion is fine, and the last thing I want is for Z to feel like he can't speak his mind.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    I would really like to get in on this. I don't mind at all paying what ever the fee is but since I live in the area I can't see staying at a hotel/motel then going home to feed the horses, shower and get fresh clothes. How would this work/or not.
    RON
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Schnauzer wrote:
    I would really like to get in on this. I don't mind at all paying what ever the fee is but since I live in the area I can't see staying at a hotel/motel then going home to feed the horses, shower and get fresh clothes. How would this work/or not.
    It's under discussion. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Thanks Nik. You and Kathy know me from OPF.

Also 2 or three could ride with me in the Ford explorer.
    RON
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Schnauzer wrote:
    Thanks Nik. You and Kathy know me from OPF.
    thumb.gif
    Also 2 or three could ride with me in the Ford explorer.
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    Hmmmm .... maybe we need to change that! wings.gif :ivar

Sure! That'd be cool. For the shooting...uh, not the bribes. I am an honest organizer (and honestly prefer a Nikon D700). mwink.gif

Keep the feedback coming! :D
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    Andy:

The request was not worded as a complaint, just a request that the appearance of fairness be found.

I have two Smugmug accounts and have been an active member of the forums here since 2004. I do not appreciate the flip response - I have what is to me a legit concern and as both a customer and a member of this forum feel I have a right to share my thoughts.

You, as leader of the clique, can feel free to put all us mere mortals down - but as a representative of Dgrin and the supporting company need to show better respect for your customers.

Z
    Zanotti, there's no clique :) Sorry you feel that way. Sorry you feel I was being flip, I'm just stating a fact.

You'll have an equal chance this time, same as anyone.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Not to belabor the point but would the organizers be able to suggest to us Shootout Virgins how best to keep up to date with the announcement for the '09 trip? I missed last years because I hadn't realized it was posted in the Big Picture thread. I have now become a bit OCD and keep refreshing this forum...hourly! I actually became worried when I went out to take pictures of some lighthouses in Maine today that I missed the announcement rolleyes1.gif.
    I think that information would be of help for those that asked questions along those lines earlier in this thread.
    E

ps - for what its worth, I would drive up if I'm able to register. Add an '02 Civic to your list. Also, I would in all likelihood get there with my family the weekend before as we had made plans to visit Acadia in October 2 days before this thread was posted ne_nau.gif. They'll be leaving when the shoot out begins but I'll be happy to scout out locations while there.

pps - does everyone realize that the dates chosen end on the Sunday before Columbus day? Does that mean that everyone would still leave that Sunday or would Monday be the better departure/travel day?
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Not to belabor the point but would the organizers be able to suggest to us Shootout Virgins how best to keep up to date with the announcement for the '09 trip?

Feed? Just put that in your favorite feed reader. I love http://google.com/reader

http://www.dgrin.com/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=16
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Feed? Just put that in your favorite feed reader. I love http://google.com/reader

http://www.dgrin.com/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=16

Thanks Andy,
    I actually had tried that but with 'rss' instead of 'rss2' in the address and it was not showing when new posts were added to threads (using NetNewsWire). Hopefully the rss2 will fix that.
    Appreciate it,
    E