Canadian shooters?

13»

Comments

• xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Just thought I'd update everyone re: shipping. I ordered a largish order on Monday morning, and the difference between USPost and International Economy was only $10. The order shipped today, and FedEx tells me to expect delivery Monday. Spread over my 50 items in the order, that is $10 well spent, when compared to the last shipment that took >14 days to cross the border.
    thumb.gif
    Cool! It has been suggested in other threads that the USPS has faster cross-border service than the couriers...I look forward to hearing when it arrives. (I assume it's an SM order?)
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Just thought I'd update everyone re: shipping. I ordered a largish order on Monday morning, and the difference between USPost and International Economy was only $10. The order shipped today, and FedEx tells me to expect delivery Monday. Spread over my 50 items in the order, that is $10 well spent, when compared to the last shipment that took >14 days to cross the border.
    thumb.gif

Good point on a large order - if the shipping time is really shorter. I have clients from horse show events, for example, that only order 1 or 2 prints each so then shipping costs on top of the price + exchange, and delays in delivery become significant and kill future sales. It's a shame because I love SmugMug and the quality of the end products - and obviously I really like being here in the forum - but I'm probably going to have to find an alternative local printing situation right away. Sigh.:(:
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Snowgirl wrote:
    Good point on a large order - if the shipping time is really shorter. I have clients from horse show events, for example, that only order 1 or 2 prints each so then shipping costs on top of the price + exchange, and delays in delivery become significant and kill future sales. It's a shame because I love SmugMug and the quality of the end products - and obviously I really like being here in the forum - but I'm probably going to have to find an alternative local printing situation right away. Sigh.:(:

Hi Snowgirl - When I started shooting a lot of soccer, and selling one or two prints, the exchange rate was >20%. Add shipping and internet shopping and there was no way I was selling through smugmug. I guess using a local lab has always been my solution.

Smugmug allowed me to display photos and protect privacy, and the possibility of selling 'art prints'. It was a good deal for that in itself.

Now, finally, orders are getting bigger. I still offer people that I see regularly the opportunity to order from me. I tell them if they are patient I will order luster from smugmug when I have a large volume, and if not they get Costco prints for the same price. Just part of customer service from my perspective.

Anyway, there are options and that makes business easier.

ann
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Snowgirl - When I started shooting a lot of soccer, and selling one or two prints, the exchange rate was >20%. Add shipping and internet shopping and there was no way I was selling through smugmug. I guess using a local lab has always been my solution.

Smugmug allowed me to display photos and protect privacy, and the possibility of selling 'art prints'. It was a good deal for that in itself.

Now, finally, orders are getting bigger. I still offer people that I see regularly the opportunity to order from me. I tell them if they are patient I will order luster from smugmug when I have a large volume, and if not they get Costco prints for the same price. Just part of customer service from my perspective.

Anyway, there are options and that makes business easier.

ann

Thanks. That makes sense. I'm taking some time now to re-vamp (well, to be truthful, create) ,my 2009 business plan and sourcing out labs is a part of that process. I would love to simply direct customers to my (SM) site and say - go ahead and order - but for small orders it's not worth it for them. Sigh.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    And an update: package 1 arrived on this a.m. FedEx delivery. 2 days from shipment!

ann
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    And an update: package 1 arrived on this a.m. FedEx delivery. 2 days from shipment!

ann
    Cool! Five days from order is certainly better than I've seen. I wonder how dependable...?
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca