Options

Mini Challenge #15 - Light and Shadow

Comments

• Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    ic4u wrote:
    James S wrote:
    Some great images in this thread. Here are my three measley attempts.

I would hardly call those measly attempts!......Well done!

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    ipduffyipduffy Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    My Humble Entries
    Here are my attempts. Hope you guys like them,

1. "Post Traumatic Stress"
    237591533_STWg2-M.jpg

2. The National Portrait Gallery, Washington DC.
    263416583_vUHsM-M.jpg

3. Another from the National Portrait Gallery
    263416610_uMDdP-M.jpg
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Nice... but #2 is not showing.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    We are up to 117 entries, not counting a couple that don't show. (Flash and Onebaduce check your entries!)

Anything posted up to and including midnight on the 27th will be included in the judging so keep them coming.

I hope to post the results by no later than Sunday morning.

But I gotta tell you, this is one really difficult set of photos to choose from. What marvelous entries. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    :lurk
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    onebaduceonebaduce Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Flyinggina wrote:
    We are up to 117 entries, not counting a couple that don't show. (Flash and Onebaduce check your entries!)

Not sure what was wrong. It was there for awhile, then the pic just didn't work. It showed up when I went into advanced edit mode. I deleted it and replaced. Is Robert the Bruce showing up again?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    onebaduce wrote:
    Not sure what was wrong. It was there for awhile, then the pic just didn't work. It showed up when I went into advanced edit mode. I deleted it and replaced. Is Robert the Bruce showing up again?

Thanks!

Yes, Robert is there now.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    TrulyAlaskanTrulyAlaskan Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Ok, I'll give it a shot..
    #1 - Behind Bars*
    424420764_aD4c7-M.jpg

Tokina 12-24mm
    F5.6 - 78 seconds

#2 - Up or Down?*
    424414958_CKNNh-M.jpg

Tokina 12-24mm
    F5.6 - 210 seconds
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Note to self...

Should I ever be fortunate enough to win one of these challenges remember to choose a category that is not as generic as "Light & Shadow"

I do not want to choose from over a hundred outstanding images.

Emily's Grandmother, you have a most difficult job.
    I do not envy you. thumb.gif

Hey! Look! I've only entered two photos and three is the limit. I'm sure I can find at least one more. rolleyes1.gif
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    OhEddie wrote:

Hey! Look! I've only entered two photos and three is the limit. I'm sure I can find at least one more. rolleyes1.gif

Go for it. Might as well. I'd love to see what you come up with. And I'll bet everyone else would like to see it too.

You are right, though. There be a lot of beautiful photos that are competing for one slot.

Hint: If you can get one of my granddaughter, maybe we can do a deal and my job will be a lot easier. deal.gifwink Just kidding. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    ipduffy wrote:
    Here are my attempts. Hope you guys like them,

1. "Post Traumatic Stress"
    237591533_STWg2-M.jpg

I believe this was originally an LPS entry? It is one of the most memorable images for me. thumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    XSiVXSiV Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 25, 2008
    Wow! What a find. I stumbled across this site on twitter and am totally blown away at the quality of the images I have found. So inspired I thought I'd better register and add one or two of my own. They aren't quite up to the standard some of the images I've seen already in this thread but who knows, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Here they are:

Scarlett's Breakfast*
    Breakfast_02-9x6.jpg
    and
    Harry at play*
    HarryPlasticine-9x6.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    Welcome Joshua!! You are really going to enjoy the wonderfully talented and helpful photographers here at dGrin.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    ipduffyipduffy Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    LPS Entry
    I believe this was originally an LPS entry? It is one of the most memorable images for me. thumb.gif
    Hi Greensquared! Yes, I had submitted it previously for an LPS competition so I'm not sure if I broke a rule or not by submitting it for this competition. If I did, I apologize; I will withdraw the photo. I thought it fit well with the subject though so I thought I'd put it in. Thanks for the comment, it means a lot to me to receive feedback, especially from the talented group of photogs on this forum. All these shots are TERRIFIC! Thanks to all!

--Ian
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    ipduffy wrote:
    Hi Greensquared! Yes, I had submitted it previously for an LPS competition so I'm not sure if I broke a rule or not by submitting it for this competition. If I did, I apologize; I will withdraw the photo. I thought it fit well with the subject though so I thought I'd put it in. Thanks for the comment, it means a lot to me to receive feedback, especially from the talented group of photogs on this forum. All these shots are TERRIFIC! Thanks to all!

--Ian

keeper here!!!

this is for any past photo executed by you!

and i remember that shot too....seriously strong and moving image!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited November 26, 2008
    Light and Shadows from the Caribbean
    Iguana by the sea...
    424692840_9EfZb-L.jpg

Castillo de San Cristobal...
    424325774_6hmHK-L.jpg

Glorious light...
    425024058_sDqqq-L.jpg
  • Options
    DragonladyDragonlady Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    I'll give it a go!
    425071400_tSRSQ-L.jpg
    "Timeless Connection"

<TABLE class=photoInfo><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TH id=Camera>Camera</TH><TD>Canon EOS 40D</TD></TR><TR><TH id=ExposureTime>Exposure Time</TH><TD>0.008s (1/125)</TD></TR><TR><TH id=Aperture>Aperture</TH><TD>f/6.3</TD></TR><TR><TH id=ISO>ISO</TH><TD>400</TD></TR><TR><TH id=FocalLength>Focal Length</TH><TD>65mm (104mm in 35mm)</TD></TR><TR><TH id=originalSize>Photo Dimensions</TH><TD>640 x 800</TD></TR><TR><TH id=fileName>File Name</TH><TD>Hannah and Blaine silo.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TH id=fileSize>File Size</TH><TD>70.35 KB</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I am having trouble figuring out how to post the exif info so please bear with me.
    Deb
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Calling All Angels:
    424565071_Czjza-M.jpg

Is He Thinking Of Me???
    424289162_UteuY-M.jpg

In The Zone and Inspired
    420874817_HKbTJ-M.jpg
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    James S wrote:
    Some great images in this thread. Here are my three measley attempts.

I must reiterate someone else's comment....Nothing Measley about your attempts....

Also, Welcome to Joshua escapee of "Twitter"???

Peace,
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    GastrocnemiusGastrocnemius Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Hot on the heels of my original entry at post 44, two more from a trip this weekend.

2. Light Lunch

425486020_f8Hht-L.jpg

3. Night Train

425486409_FDQk4-L.jpg

Cheers.
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
    Konec Kazdeho Muza

425540781_sEF5d-L.jpg
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Storm Cloud
    425531404_sL4N7-L-3.jpg

Swans at Sunset
    425530953_pipkn-L-3.jpg

Every Silver Lining...
    425530728_fs4Fi-L-3.jpg
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    rwcope2rwcope2 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 27, 2008
    Fall Storm at Sunset
    406312762_o6QuP-L.jpg

This is an ordinary view (out my back window) in extra-ordinary light.

Rob
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Light and Shadow
    A newcomer to DGrin and SmugMug; I'm thoroughly enjoying both sites at the moment and think that these mini-contests are a great way to challenge yourself as a photographer. Thanks for the opportunity to share!

White Cup
    426079079_HQa7S-M.jpg

Bo in the Hay Barn
    426079104_PBtht-M.jpg

Blinds
    426079427_voGbT-M.jpg
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    It's ok to submit traditional camera photos, right? (i.e. photos taken with trad. camera on Kodachrome, etc... then scanned) And if I haven't done anything with EXIF, just edited in photoshop & maybe keyworded or titled it, I can simply list the camera & lens, etc. to have it accepted, correct? Thanks. --Anna Lisa
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    It's ok to submit traditional camera photos, right? (i.e. photos taken with trad. camera on Kodachrome, etc... then scanned) And if I haven't done anything with EXIF, just edited in photoshop & maybe keyworded or titled it, I can simply list the camera & lens, etc. to have it accepted, correct? Thanks. --Anna Lisa

I may be wrong, but I don't think you have to mess around with EXIF for the Mini challenges... just the DSS ones... :)
    Alan H.
    http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2008

Yes, its fine for the mini-challenge to post any photo you took yourself whenever you took it with or without EXIF.

The rules for the DSS challenges are much more rigid. Be sure to read them carefully before entering.

Midnight tonight EST is the cutoff for this round of the mini-challenge!!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    I've had an idea to shoot since the beginning of this, but I haven't had the time to put in the works.. so here are a few oldies :D

A lake channel by the midnight sun
    319030839_KywBg-L-1.jpg

Old mossy foundations
    258802828_bCX3N-L.jpg

The Black's in the pocket
    367758203_FcLn9-L.jpg
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    I remember that 3rd one Pyry. clap.gif
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I remember that 3rd one Pyry. clap.gif

You have a good memory thumb.gif
    Yep, that was originally a candidate for DSS round, headscratch.gif, seven! That's the one. :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/