Professional Lab Integration

124»

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    OK, it done took me awhiles, but I gots it after the hint was posted. :ivar

Now a question, hypothetical of course. Will SmugMug have two labs, or only one? I mean ifin your gona speculate.

Sam
    We'll have two labs thumb.gif
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    WPPI! Excellent!
    Andy wrote:
    We'll have two labs thumb.gif

So who besides me is going to WPPI?
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    So who besides me is going to WPPI?
    I'd be THRILLED to have two labs to order through my smugsite. Oh would that be great. I use Smug for somethings but Miller's for others. It would be so nice to edit a gallery to place my OWN orders finished the way I want.

I was thinking it could have been ProDpi too.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    This is going to be great! If I understand this, EZprints is more of a consumer lab, the other lab, not to be named, is more of a pro lab, with I would guess a higher cost.

This will, I hope, offer us the choice of offering a more modest priced print for say events, and a higher price for say fine art prints.

Sam
  • EpiklesisEpiklesis Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Anybody know when the new pro lab will be up??? Sounds like it's imminent, which is great news!

Rob Meadows-Rogers
  • EpiklesisEpiklesis Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Pro labs
    Some seem to be asking about the different kinds of printing services.

EZ prints is pretty bare bones. Plus, the biggest turn-off for me is having 8x12 prints shipped in a tube. Unrolling/flattening the prints adds another step to the final, framed project and is also risky to the prints.

I HOPE that the pro lab under consideration is Miller's. For several years I have used Mpix, which is a slightly less pro-friendly subsidiary of Miller's. I have generally been quite pleased with Mpix printing, although sometimes they slip on quality control... not very often though! (I have had a couple of Mpix prints... out of hundreds... come to me with imperfect alignment and unclean-cut edges.) The parent lab, Miller's, on the other hand, offers a wider range of services, a bigger selection of pro papers, custom packaging, and more accessible customer service. I've just started with them and have been extremely impressed with the service and materials. The addresses for these services are Mpix (mpix.com) and Miller's (millerslab.com). Miller's will send you, free of charge, sample prints of 4 images (actually 8: 4 untouched and 4 with color-correction, to help you judge how well your monitor and their printers are calibrated), as well as a host of printed materials describing their services, pricing, etc. Pretty high-end....

I vote for Miller's.

... and thanks to Smugmug for its excellent webhosting and ITS responsive customer service, including Dgrin, on which many kind people have offered me extremely helpful advice. The smugmug community seems pretty special to me.clap.gif
  • KalrogKalrog Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Epiklesis wrote:
    I HOPE that the pro lab under consideration is Miller's.

It has been pretty much confirmed that it is NOT Miller's as they signed an exclusive deal with someone else. It is in this thread somewhere... I think it was this thread.
    Nathan Deckinga
    Leander, Texas
    http://www.2-dphoto.com
  • redhouseredhouse Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2009
    My thoughts exactly. Not whcc :(
    Does not look like WHCC packaging. But I would love if it were WHCC. I've used them when I'm not printing thru SM and love the results. Never had any issues with shipping and/or packaging and they guarantee prints w/o question...

I was secretly hoping for WHCC too;) But sadly.. I agree those are not their digs. :( In my personal test before choosing a lab their color consistency and soft proofing matching absolutely took the prize. Their customer service is top notch as well. But I also love some of the offerings from the other labs too and most mentioned are nothing to sneeze at for sure. At this point I just neeeeeeed a pro-lab for the mounting services, professional flat shipping etc. to just be able to even USE my preferred image host! (umm.. yes, that would be the smugmugster :) with it's yummy huge image viewing windows and hugemonguous slideshow views which make my images look faaar better um I mean as good as they should. They are currently being sold from pitiful mere mortal windows in which they look tiny and sad. :(
    I can not wait!! At this point.. just bring me a lab.. any good lab and I will be happy and so will my images!