Options

The 50D?

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in Cameras
I am very nearly about to purchase this body. I am curious from other owners as to what body they upgraded from, and how pleased are they with the 50D performance overall. I primarily shoot portraits and events with a small mix of sports and dance.

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    I have had everyone of the xxD cameras and I find the 50D images are just a tad noisy for my likings.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    I have had everyone of the xxD cameras and I find the 50D images are just a tad noisy for my likings.

Do you shoot RAW?...adjusting for noise yourself or?

Is it noisier than say....a 30D?

I currently shoot an XTi. I believe the XTi was just more pixels crammed onto a 30D sensor. I am looking for less noise at ISO800 and under.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    I had the XTi and XSi. I love the camera iloveyou.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Do you shoot RAW?...adjusting for noise yourself or?

Is it noisier than say....a 30D?

I currently shoot an XTi. I believe the XTi was just more pixels crammed onto a 30D sensor. I am looking for less noise at ISO800 and under.
    Yes,I shoot RAW and do noise reduction via NN
    Cramming more pixels is the reason.
    I do however find myself doing less sharpening though.
    To me ISO 400 on the 50D is what ISO 800 was on the 40D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Jeff,

I've had the 20D (actually still have, but it's been modified for IR photography) and a pair of 30D cameras. I upgraded from the 30D to the 50D and find that the 50D is a better tool for portraits and weddings than the 30D. I shoot RAW (exclusively) and find the images are better than I was getting from my 30D. I also shoot weddings with another photog who uses a 40D and have had the opportunity to work up her RAW files as well. There is a noticable difference between the 40D and the 50D .... with the 50D winning the competition:D.

As for noise - I find the ISO 800 on the 50D to be better than the 30D (no question) and slightly better than that of the 40D.

Opinions differ .... these are my observations.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to sleep on it one more night, but already know what I intend to do. The 5D2 is just too much of a stretch for me financially just yet. Perhaps later in the year I can take THAT plunge!:D
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to sleep on it one more night, but already know what I intend to do. The 5D2 is just too much of a stretch for me financially just yet. Perhaps later in the year I can take THAT plunge!:D

I have the 5d and there is a noticible difference from the 10-20-30-40-50 series. I am saving for the 5d2 as well. Once you go full frame, you won't want to look back. My 20d is my backup and I can say when I am double camera shooting, it's hard to go back and forth.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    The 50d is a very good camera, but i would go for the 40d.

I think the step up to 50d is not worth it. More pixels and more noise. I have allso read somewhere ( might have bin dpreview ) that the dyanmic range is not as good on the 50d.

It is hard to descide i know :D but for me the 50d is not as good as the 40d
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    The 50d is a very good camera, but i would go for the 40d.

I think the step up to 50d is not worth it. More pixels and more noise. I have allso read somewhere ( might have bin dpreview ) that the dyanmic range is not as good on the 50d.

It is hard to descide i know :D but for me the 50d is not as good as the 40d

Hey Arvan, good to see you @ DG again! What you shootin these days? Love your avvy!

Well, I wouldn't buy the 50D either. Or if I did, it would only be for the micro-adjustments ability, for any lens anomalies. But all my lenses seem well behaved, so even that is hypothetical. I am discovering unexpected depths in the 40D the more I use it well, so I'll go along with it.

I have always maintained that no Canon camera can produce better than the 40D at its best, but I might be eccentric on that point! eek7.gifwings.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Well Ive bought a 50D, it will be here Friday at the latest.

I appreciate everyone's input. Those who know me best know that I don't put a whole lot of emphasis on cameras. I feel that if the shutter opens and closes when I press the shutter button....and I can control my shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, then that is all I really need. Other than some noise at ISO400(though controllable), and no spot meter I have been perfectly happy with the XTi. It has been a good tool....dependable....and has far exceeded my expectations from it. My thinking is that ALL cameras are pretty much disposable...only to make do until the next generation. Good glass...on the other hand....I feel entirely different about. I'll be adding a 50mm F1.4 to the bag next week!:D As long as the 50D is "no worse" on noise than the XTi I will be satisfied. To me, the 40D....while Im sure its a capable tool, makes zero sense to me as an upgrade from the XTi for my purposes. Probably its less noisy, but produces nearly identicle resolution...so I may as well buy another XTi or XS or whatever they call them now. ...and yes resolution means something to me. For event photography and portraits it adds flexibility for cropping. Thats always a good thing!

I DO think there is a huge difference in full-frame and crop. Forget noise or speed....I am talking about the altogether appearance and feel of the photographs. I fully intend to move to full-frame...but just cannot justify the cost at this time. For me, that jump would also mean rearranging my lens line-up, so it is a bit more than just buying a new camera.

As for micro-adjustment.......I have always thought my 85mm was just a bit "off".....and am looking forward to wringing it out at F1.8 on some lovely portraits.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Congrats on the purchase - I think you'll be well pleased.

As for the EF 50mm f/1.4 - I have one and am soooooo tempted to sell it and buy the Sigma 50. I have wedding interview on Friday and if that potential client books, I just might go ahead and do it.

Thinking to my self ... "Does it ever end?"rolleyes1.gifne_nau.giflust
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Congrats on the purchase - I think you'll be well pleased.

As for the EF 50mm f/1.4 - I have one and am soooooo tempted to sell it and buy the Sigma 50. I have wedding interview on Friday and if that potential client books, I just might go ahead and do it.

Thinking to my self ... "Does it ever end?"rolleyes1.gifne_nau.giflust

Well.....while I can SEE why the Sigma OUGHT to be a better 50mm solution, I have seen nothing but mixed reports on it. Its an impressive build, but inconsistancy reports abound. Everything I have ever read/researched has shown that the Canon 50mm F1.4 is the best 50mm solution for a Canon mount....even compared to the Canon 50mm F1.2.

What...exactly...do you not like about the Canon 1.4?

.....and...uuuugh....NO....never ends!:D
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well.....while I can SEE why the Sigma OUGHT to be a better 50mm solution, I have seen nothing but mixed reports on it. Its an impressive build, but inconsistancy reports abound. Everything I have ever read/researched has shown that the Canon 50mm F1.4 is the best 50mm solution for a Canon mount....even compared to the Canon 50mm F1.2.

What...exactly...do you not like about the Canon 1.4?

.....and...uuuugh....NO....never ends!:D
    It's seems to not quite nail focus sometimes. But, it might be because I didn't have it dialed in quite right on the 50D. I have to take if for a walk and see what I come up with before I make a final decision.

As for the Siggy - yes, I've seen lots of postings about Sigma quality in general. But I've not (yet) read anything about the 50mm, but I've not yet done "due diligence" on it either. That is one of the things I was planning on this weekend should the walk-about with the EF 50mm not turn out stellar results.

I have an eye appointment this afternoon and the opthamologist likes to "open the aperture to f/1.0" - so the walk-about will have to wait until tomorrow. I should be posting a follow-up (here) tomorrow evening if all goes according to plan.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well Ive bought a 50D, it will be here Friday at the latest.

NEW GOODIES!

At this precise moment I'm sitting here waiting for the UPS man to arrive with my STE2... I feel like a little kid waiting for the grownups to get up on Christmas morning! :D
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    It's seems to not quite nail focus sometimes. But, it might be because I didn't have it dialed in quite right on the 50D. I have to take if for a walk and see what I come up with before I make a final decision.

As for the Siggy - yes, I've seen lots of postings about Sigma quality in general. But I've not (yet) read anything about the 50mm, but I've not yet done "due diligence" on it either. That is one of the things I was planning on this weekend should the walk-about with the EF 50mm not turn out stellar results.

I have an eye appointment this afternoon and the opthamologist likes to "open the aperture to f/1.0" - so the walk-about will have to wait until tomorrow. I should be posting a follow-up (here) tomorrow evening if all goes according to plan.

Yes, do post a follow up!

I hope all goes well....at Dr as well.

Im sure you have read it too, but...

Canon reccomends setting the micro adjustment at full scale depending on whether you think you are back or front focusing...and then use smaller incremints to move to zero for fine tuning......and NOT to expect to see much difference at moves of 1 or 2.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    This is the one after 909
    The Beatles One After 909 Lyrics:

My baby says she's trav'ling on the one after 909
    I said move over honey I'm travelling on that line
    I said move over once, move over twice
    Come on baby don't be cold as ice.

I said I'm trav'ling on the one after 909
    I begged her not to go and I begged her
    on my bended knees,
    You're only fooling around, you're fooling around with me.

I said I'm trav'ling on the one after 909
    Pick up my bag, run to the station
    Railman says you've got the the wrong location
    Pick up my bag, run right home
    Then I find I've got the number wrong

Well I said I'm trav'ling on the one after 909
    I said move over honey I'm travelling on that line

I said we're trav'ling on the one after 9 0,
    I said we're trav'ling on the one after 9 0,
    I said we're trav'ling on the one after 909.

Congratulations, Jeff, on your new purchase.

You mention resolution... well all that stuff is just ideal numbers for talking about the best of all possible photographs. I don't own any of them, so the numbers mean nothing to me, in practical terms. Do a little NR, do a little PP, do a little printing... and resolution, in its ideal state, is out the window. The eye doesn't count pixels per square inch to see what it likes. It's the brain that sees thumb.gif

I've had a bit of a play with the 50mm f1.4 It gives good definition, but is a bit reluctant with separation. I was disappointed with the contrast and saturation. But I'm pretty clueless.

You say you don't put much stock in bodies, but then talk about the advantages of FF headscratch.gif

Whatever... you did unbelievable things with the XTi clap.gif

(please forgive the bit of nonsense at the start of this reply :D)

• Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    The Beatles One After 909 Lyrics:
    Congratulations, Jeff, on your new purchase.

You mention resolution... well all that stuff is just ideal numbers for talking about the best of all possible photographs. I don't own any of them, so the numbers mean nothing to me, in practical terms. Do a little NR, do a little PP, do a little printing... and resolution, in its ideal state, is out the window. The eye doesn't count pixels per square inch to see what it likes. It's the brain that sees thumb.gif

You are exactly right here Neil...my intentions were to get an "upgrade" in resolution in hopes that starting with more means ending with more. Just wanting more to start with...in post process....even though the final result...as you say...may be much less.

I've had a bit of a play with the 50mm f1.4 It gives good definition, but is a bit reluctant with separation. I was disappointed with the contrast and saturation. But I'm pretty clueless.

Im sorry to hear that. It has been on my short list for some time. I had the 50 F1.8....plastica fantastica.....and while I made some GREAT images with it, it was really a hit or miss focuser.....finicky to say the least. I miss having a 50 prime.

You say you don't put much stock in bodies, but then talk about the advantages of FF headscratch.gif

That was my admission that crop sensor vs full frame has distinct differences that arent seen from body to body between cameras with the same size sensor. For instance....probably serious separation with that 50mm lens of yours.thumb.gif
    Whatever... you did unbelievable things with the XTi clap.gif

Maybe....it sure didn't dissapoint me!....but....I have no fantsies of a newer...faster body changing much in what my work looks like....or the results of anything I do....I would have much rathered a pair of stands and umbrellas...and there are other goodies on the list....but I am tired of borrowing, begging, renting, whatever....when I need a spare camera. It is irresponsible to show up at some of the events I do with a single body. Im just trying to get away from having to hunt a second camera everytime I do one.
    (please forgive the bit of nonsense at the start of this reply :D)

What nonsense?ne_nau.gif

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    I think you will like the 50D. Look forward to your review after you get to play with it for a day or two. I am still exploring mine, have had it since Nov. (last month)
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ....but....I have no fantsies of a newer...faster body changing much in what my work looks like....or the results of anything I do...

Obviously I'm not in your league in talent, skill or responsibilities, but the conclusion I've come to is that the choice of body belps best by providing a set of quickly accessed do-what-I-need functions to make it a useful TOOL. I knew I was fighting my XT in terms of handling and THAT was what was getting my way (and why I chose to upgrade the body first even though I seriously need some better quality glass) - the xsi lets me do the things I want to do faster and *with less conscious thought and effort*... so I concentrate on more important things. And, of course, it simply has some technological advances which actually DO improve things (ie my lenses focus faster because the body is more accurate and zippier etc etc). I can't say I'm disappointed.

I bet you'll love having some of the newer features the 50d offers!! Enjoy the goodies when they arrive :)
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Obviously I'm not in your league in talent, skill or responsibilities, but the conclusion I've come to is that the choice of body belps best by providing a set of quickly accessed do-what-I-need functions to make it a useful TOOL. I knew I was fighting my XT in terms of handling and THAT was what was getting my way (and why I chose to upgrade the body first even though I seriously need some better quality glass) - the xsi lets me do the things I want to do faster and *with less conscious thought and effort*... so I concentrate on more important things. And, of course, it simply has some technological advances which actually DO improve things (ie my lenses focus faster because the body is more accurate and zippier etc etc). I can't say I'm disappointed.

I bet you'll love having some of the newer features the 50d offers!! Enjoy the goodies when they arrive :)

Im sure I will enjoy many of the features ...yes...

-I have always wished for a spot metering system.
    -The micro-adjustment tool to correct minor lens focus issues looks promising.
    -6-ish frames per second may be useful at some point...
    -30% more in terms of resolution will allow some more creativity when crop time comes.
    -Its shutter action is MUCH quieter than the click shzing of the XTi...which can be really distracting at weddings and other quiet settings.
    -The ability to store settings...User settings?....or something like that....will be useful. I can go to my daughters high school gym for instance and FINALLY figure out that white balance....set a shutter speed...aperture...ISO....and save it .......the same goes for reception halls and wedding venues I suppose
    -well...I guess I could go on and on...but....

I will have a LOT to learn. I can change most any setting on my old camera....without looking! and the dials and menus etc are COMPLETELY different. Time will tell.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    I think you will like the 50D. Look forward to your review after you get to play with it for a day or two. I am still exploring mine, have had it since Nov. (last month)

I might do that...though I can only make a comparison to the XTi....maybe Scott can outline his comparisons to the 20, 30, and 40D.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    All good points, Jeff.

Your new 50D is sure going to add to your enjoyment of photography - that itself is worth heaps thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Woohoo! New toys! I'm so pleased for you, Jeff. thumb.gif Can't wait to see your work in 2009 with your new gear.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Woohoo! New toys! I'm so pleased for you, Jeff. thumb.gif Can't wait to see your work in 2009 with your new gear.

Okay...okay....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I cant keep up with you...you are all over dgrin....I just sent YOU a pM AGAIN!!!

Thanks Elaine....lets pray I don't dissapoint you!iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Okay...okay....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I cant keep up with you...you are all over dgrin....I just sent YOU a pM AGAIN!!!

Thanks Elaine....lets pray I don't dissapoint you!iloveyou.gif

Heehee...I'm just enjoying doing some catching up! PMing you back...
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I might do that...though I can only make a comparison to the XTi....maybe Scott can outline his comparisons to the 20, 30, and 40D.
    All I can offer is subjective assessments as I don't have a 30D anymore - I would be working from memory and I don't think that would do anyone any good. My 20D is modified to shoot IR - so that's out as well. Sorry!
  • Options
    k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    All I can offer is subjective assessments as I don't have a 30D anymore - Sorry!
    rolleyes1.gifLaughing.gif, I agree, I have a XT, 2-30d's, and a 50D, all I can say is... the other camera's are put away now, I absolutely love the 50D. AWESOME cam...clap.gif
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Yes, do post a follow up!

I hope all goes well....at Dr as well.

Im sure you have read it too, but...

Canon reccomends setting the micro adjustment at full scale depending on whether you think you are back or front focusing...and then use smaller incremints to move to zero for fine tuning......and NOT to expect to see much difference at moves of 1 or 2.
    Well, it turns out that I, indeed, did not have the 50 f/1.4 dialed in correctly. I shot some test shots and it was front-focusing something horrible. Spent a considerable amount of time, figuring out a better way to getting the lens dialed in - did a modified version of the Canon recommendation. Then took it for a walk in the back yard, only to find that it was close, but no cigar. A little more tweaking and I have it nailed on both my 50D bodies.

I would post some of the resulting photographs with 100% crops, but SmugMug is having issues right now. Maybe later they'll be back up again and I can post the shots.

Bottom-line - I just saved myself a couple or three hundred dollars. My copy of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 is good at 1.4 and great above f/2.0 - it's a keeper!iloveyou.gifclap.gifbarb :ivar

I know what I'll be doing all day tomorrow - verifying the AF Microadjustment settings for all my lenses.rolleyes1.gif11doh.gif
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    I would post some of the resulting photographs with 100% crops, but SmugMug is having issues right now. Maybe later they'll be back up again and I can post the shots.

Bottom-line - I just saved myself a couple or three hundred dollars. My copy of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 is good at 1.4 and great above f/2.0 - it's a keeper!iloveyou.gifclap.gifbarb :ivar

I know what I'll be doing all day tomorrow - verifying the AF Microadjustment settings for all my lenses.rolleyes1.gif11doh.gif

That is VERY encouraging news. I know my 85mm is off on my XTi. Hopefully I can dial it in and use it to its potential on the 50D.

I would like to see images/crops for sue if it isn't too much trouble.....and if you had a "before" shot....just to show how bad it was....that would be helpful as well.

Also, it would be extremely helpful to me....and probably to other dgrinners if you post a thread on your process that you went through....the method...that you used to dial it in. Maybe in Techniques?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    :lurk

Why dont we have a "waiting for the FedEx truck smiley?ne_nau.gif