Options

Weekly Assignment #103: Natural High Key

124»

Comments

• Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    I think this would be considered high key. Shooting directly into the sun 1/250 @ 2.8
    462612962_aJ5dJ-L.jpg
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    scottV wrote:
    I think this would be considered high key. Shooting directly into the sun 1/250 @ 2.8
    Looks good on top, although the bottom looks a bit too dark.
    What did you use as a fill?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Looks good on top, although the bottom looks a bit too dark.
    What did you use as a fill?
    just reflection from the sand used as fill, the darker portion is the vignette i added in pp.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    I just looked in here and found this subject and have just shot some that fit.
    An overcast day and cooperative subjects. They were in trees next to each other. Shot one then turned and shot the other trying to get both before they flew off. They did not what might look like dust is mosquitoes they were really bugging them.
    459970716_EBjvV-L.jpg

459970768_t84kw-L.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    I just looked in here and found this subject and have just shot some that fit.
    An overcast day and cooperative subjects. They were in trees next to each other. Shot one then turned and shot the other trying to get both before they flew off. They did not what might look like dust is mosquitoes they were really bugging them.
    Thank you! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    A cup in the clean snow, perhaps?
    465061077_UgEXv-L.jpg

And yes, I am aware that I included the shadow - but it is not a harsh shadow, so I want to hear your interpretation of this.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    A cup in the clean snow, perhaps?

And yes, I am aware that I included the shadow - but it is not a harsh shadow, so I want to hear your interpretation of this.

Ann, by using a transparent subject you have effectively cheated the primary task: the need for a natural fill. At this point your image is very close to Leah's snowfield - pretty much nothing but the background itself... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 31, 2009
    Well Nikolai...you will probably shoot me down on whether this is to your expectations. But I tried high key this morning. It was just after the sun got up over the mountain and zero degrees out. The set up is that I was just out the door of my deck while my lil one came around the side of the house on fresh fallen snow and was at the bottom of the steps of the deck. I have posted the original first and my post processing second. On the post processing besides the obvious crop, I had brightened it just a tad for the background sake then desaturated the color for more of a pastel look as I have seen explained while I studied "high key" on several tuturials on the net. I added a mask over the top to soften my edges and blend to the background. Like or not? (ps...I prefer shooting low key...easier for me to understand exactly what is expected).

Original...(EXIF)
    465107862_eezJW-L.jpg

Edited version
    465107796_no29U-L.jpg
  • Options
    tonydtonyd Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Nikolai.

Would either of these fit the high-key def? Does the mirror shadow mess it up, or perhaps the sky? orne_nau.gif

38786148_LWEqZ-L-2.jpg

39239713_oarpS-L-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Well Nikolai...you will probably shoot me down on whether this is to your expectations. But I tried high key this morning. It was just after the sun got up over the mountain and zero degrees out. The set up is that I was just out the door of my deck while my lil one came around the side of the house on fresh fallen snow and was at the bottom of the steps of the deck. I have posted the original first and my post processing second. On the post processing besides the obvious crop, I had brightened it just a tad for the background sake then desaturated the color for more of a pastel look as I have seen explained while I studied "high key" on several tuturials on the net. I added a mask over the top to soften my edges and blend to the background. Like or not? (ps...I prefer shooting low key...easier for me to understand exactly what is expected).
    I think you did a very good job on this! thumb.gif It would be even better if the sun was higher since you would get more white on the bg and more fill from the slope up front.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    tonyd wrote:
    Nikolai.
    Would either of these fit the high-key def? Does the mirror shadow mess it up, or perhaps the sky? orne_nau.gif
    Tony, the idea was to have the sun behind the subject. First (processed?) image is just overblown ne_nau.gif We need the subject to be exposed properly while blowing out the bg...
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Okay, Nik, what about this:
    Sorry, but I don't see blowput bg. What I do see is your reflection in the spoon.:-)

Ann, it's a nice image, yet it's a difficult assigment. The scenario I suggested originally is one of the only few that can help, deviating from it will mostly make your life harder... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sorry, but I don't see blowput bg. What I do see is your reflection in the spoon.:-)

Ann, it's a nice image, yet it's a difficult assigment. The scenario I suggested originally is one of the only few that can help, deviating from it will mostly make your life harder... ne_nau.gif

Okay, Nik, I am glad to hear that you want the bkgrd blown. When I read (and reread, and reread) your original instruction, and this line in particular:
    Technically, high key scenario defines the image as a properly exposed (not blown out!) one, but with no dark shadows (more here...).

I was confused - I had always thought high key should have a blown bkgrd, like this image, but your description of properly exposed, and a comment that you made here about the snow not having detail, confused me.

I can get a high key, natural light image WITH a blown background, no problemo.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Okay, Nik, I am glad to hear that you want the bkgrd blown. When I read (and reread, and reread) your original instruction, and this line in particular:

I was confused - I had always thought high key should have a blown bkgrd, like this image, but your description of properly exposed, and a comment that you made here about the snow not having detail, confused me.

I can get a high key, natural light image WITH a blown background, no problemo.
    Yes, sorry about the confusion. The subject should be exposed properly. It is the background that should be blown..
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 31, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I think you did a very good job on this! thumb.gif It would be even better if the sun was higher since you would get more white on the bg and more fill from the slope up front.

yea! I got a good job from you!(you task master you!:D ..lol).

Your right on getting a higher sun. But because we are so far north and I wasn't going to go out in this low of temps beyond the back deck....the sun later in the day would not have changed circumstances much here. It pretty much stays in the south and not over head yet. But I am please that you liked what I did.clap.gif
  • Options
    bretbret Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Better late than never.

original.jpg

-bret
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2009
    bret wrote:
    Better late than never.
    -bret
    Bret, thank you!
    Unfortunately this point it simply looks like an overexposed shot, while the bg is still not overexposed...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    lunadoeeyeslunadoeeyes Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    I would like to enter the classes... If you stop learning you stop growing...
    so I would like to submit this shot for critic. thank you

(BTW, I work in the movie, TV, theater Industry as an electrician/ Lighting Designer/ Gaffer... unless you get in to Keno Flo a fluorescent tube is a fluorescent if you get it from B&H or Home Depot)
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2009
    I would like to enter the classes... If you stop learning you stop growing...
    so I would like to submit this shot for critic. thank you

(BTW, I work in the movie, TV, theater Industry as an electrician/ Lighting Designer/ Gaffer... unless you get in to Keno Flo a fluorescent tube is a fluorescent if you get it from B&H or Home Depot)
    Hi, thank you for playing and welcome to the Class! thumb.gif
    Unfortunately this is pretty far from highkey, I can harly find any overexposed spot in the bg. ne_nau.gif
    BIFs are not greatefuf subjects for this task, since it's next to impossible to provide a natuaral fill for them...deal.gif
  • Options
    lunadoeeyeslunadoeeyes Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    OK. Today is a very flat light day here, I do not think it is going to get much better so I will offer this shot. But is the back round not just over exposed headscratch.gif The sun is in the correct place and the snow is the bounce fill.... this is just a crop and resized
    Thank You
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2009
    OK. Today is a very flat light day here, I do not think it is going to get much better so I will offer this shot. But is the back round not just over exposed headscratch.gif The sun is in the correct place and the snow is the bounce fill.... this is just a crop and resized
    Thank You
    Thank you!
    Ducks (subjects) seem a bit overdone to me, but it's definitely a shot in a right direction:-)