Options

"Posing The Light" Workshop

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sure, will do next week (busy weekend, sorry)
    And don't worry, all you'd need for that is your camera, relatively fast lens and a speedlight...
    We'll get back to my studio after that and then I'll drive you to the hotel...

busy weekend?? I'm sitting in a fricking horse trailer camping out for a show tomorrow after riding most of the day with a dog for company and watching my battery wind down and wishing I'd brought a LONG extension cord.

btw, I don't HAVE free weekends :) last weekend was a double shoot. But I'm thinking more along the lines of batteries OR a battery pack for my SB-900 (which I have not yet used).

oh sh*t and book a hotel room. I KNEW I forgot something. Once my severance check arrives I'm ALL over this.... :smack

erm, and a new laptop. this one is definitely officially the 'barn' one with all the dust it ingested today. ibook 12in G4, I think that puts it at 4 years old. It's time!
    //Leah
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    busy weekend?? I'm sitting in a fricking horse trailer camping out for a show tomorrow after riding most of the day with a dog for company and watching my battery wind down and wishing I'd brought a LONG extension cord.

btw, I don't HAVE free weekends :) last weekend was a double shoot. But I'm thinking more along the lines of batteries OR a battery pack for my SB-900 (which I have not yet used).

oh sh*t and book a hotel room. I KNEW I forgot something. Once my severance check arrives I'm ALL over this.... :smack

erm, and a new laptop. this one is definitely officially the 'barn' one with all the dust it ingested today. ibook 12in G4, I think that puts it at 4 years old. It's time!

I guess you're going to be busy too :-)
    Mine "busy" is simple though:
    Saturday - a day long shoot with a beautiful young lady;
    Sunday - a money-making trip to a fashion show :-)
    both should give me a fine chance to test my new Wireless USB setup :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2009
    Be sure to let us easterners know if you plan on doing this over here on the east coast. Especially around the Harrisburg - Philly area in Pennsylvania! I would be interested in attending!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Be sure to let us easterners know if you plan on doing this over here on the east coast. Especially around the Harrisburg - Philly area in Pennsylvania! I would be interested in attending!

GaryB
    Sure :-) thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    OK, as promised, here is the list of things you will need to make it most out of this weekend.
    • A camera wtih full manual capabilities and a hot shoe.
      Typical settings range is: ISO 100, 1/250s, f/4.0 .. f/8.0
    • Lenses: whatever you have except extreme wide and extreme tele. My personal choice for APC body would be 17-55/2.8 and 70-200/2.8. For FF body 24-70, 24-105 would do.
      Fast primes between 50mm and 135mm could play nice, too.
      I'm using Canon, so you will be able to use some of mine if you don't have a proper one.
    • Lightmeter with flash metering capabilities: optional
    • PocketWizard tramitter/transceiver/mini : optional
    • For Miss California shoot Saturday night: speedlite. I'm gonna use my 580EXII, maybe with STE2.
    • For Sunday: a laptop with a copy of Adobe PS CS4 or LR2. If you don't have one, install a 30 day trial. CS3 and LR1 will not give you the same results due to the recent advancements in RAW processing and general performance improvement in the said products. If you don't have it - I have a disk which you can use to install in trial mode, simply notify me in advance (it takes about 40 min to install and update).
    • Charming personality and great attitude - mandatory and non-negotiable :-)
    HTH
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    and that Saturday shindig? appropriate attire would be? not-jeans I'm thinking.
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    and that Saturday shindig? appropriate attire would be? not-jeans I'm thinking.
    Uhm, sorry, forgot about *attire* issue. :D
    I'm gonna be dressed all black. "Fly on the wall" style. I suggest dark slacks, dark shirt. Comfy shoes.
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Nik:

I hope you all have a great time, it sounds so much like a great event! Perhaps if there is a NikII version, more will be able to attend......

Looking forward to some excellent results photos and posts,

George Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 9, 2009
    Wish I could attend, Nik.

Maybe next time.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    Zanotti wrote:
    Nik:

I hope you all have a great time, it sounds so much like a great event! Perhaps if there is a NikII version, more will be able to attend......

Looking forward to some excellent results photos and posts,

George Z

Thanks George! thumb.gif
    I'm looking forward to it! We have a great model, tons of things to learn/explore, I'm sure it's gonna be fun and productive weekend for everybody! Will bring a literal meaning to the "hands-on" practice mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Wish I could attend, Nik.
    Maybe next time.
    :-)
    Jim, you know where to find me! And with you and Nightingale we already have a quorum, so just let me know which weekend would work for you guys! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Re: Saturday night

Just fyi (esp for Leah:) - we won't have time to go to your hotel to change.

The transition schedule looks like this:
    we wrapping up studio part at 4pm or so
    model leaves, we pack for party shooting
    we take off NO LATER than 4:20

Brian, it's up to you if you want to drive there (so you can go home directly from there) or jump into my car and I'll take you back to the studio first (unless you park by Leah's hotel). The time difference is not that big driving wise (5-10min tops), but having your own car will alow you to take off early if you decide to do so.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Only 2 days left!wings.gif
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    Day 1: check, check! :ivar
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Have fun, Nik & Co! thumb.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Have fun, Nik & Co! thumb.gif
    Thanks Neil! It was long day, but I think we did OK. Biggest problem (for me, at least) was the most infamous subject of the fashion/modeling world - flakes. The model who was hired to pose for us simply vanished off the face of the internets two days ago. Al my attempts to reach her failed. So here I was Friday night, 9pm, with the workshop starning in 12 hours, and no model...
    Luckily, I managed to find a great replacement, a rather experienced girl out of New York, of all places, so we had a fun first part (learning the light and posing). And after that we went to Miss California International party for a totally different type of shooting exercise...rolleyes1.gif
    All in all I came back home about 9:45pm. Did some uploads, answered urgent emails, and went off to bed.
    Day two starts in 45 min mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks Neil! It was long day, but I think we did OK. Biggest problem (for me, at least) was the most infamous subject of the fashion/modeling world - flakes. The model who was hired to pose for us simply vanished off the face of the internets two days ago. Al my attempts to reach her failed. So here I was Friday night, 9pm, with the workshop starning in 12 hours, and no model...
    Luckily, I managed to find a great replacement, a rather experienced girl out of New York, of all places, so we had a fun first part (learning the light and posing). And after that we went to Miss California International party for a totally different type of shooting exercise...rolleyes1.gif
    All in all I came back home about 9:45pm. Did some uploads, answered urgent emails, and went off to bed.
    Day two starts in 45 min mwink.gif

Expect the unexpected, eh? You know, in my experience, when you got a lot hanging on your plans something spectacularly awkward will just fall out of the skyeek7.gif But gee, I'm glad Plan B worked out so well. You'll chuckle about it all later.

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Everybody that attended....lets see some of the fun stuff.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    Everybody that attended....lets see some of the fun stuff.

it's coming! We're working on post-processing techniques today and learning TONS.

Nik has also totally redone my workflow to the point that I barely know where to start anymore. In a good way but whoa/ugh/gah! eek7.gifeek7.gif I have to sit down and figure this out before my next big show.
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    My assistant couldn't make it to the class, so unfortunately we're out of the extensive behind-the-scenes coverage. However Leah had her Canon P&S with her and I'm sure she snapped at least something.

Unfortunately the picture of me and blaser staring at the laptop screen showing a freshly taken image of a heels-only-wearing model and paying zero attention to the said heels-only-wearing model staying right between us (and staring at the same picture) didn't make it... mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    Kwik run down on what we did:

Day One: Shooting
    Technique:
    * assembling lights from scratch
    * adjusting lights
    * light metering basics
    * tethered shooting basics
    * light modifiers and what they do

Lowkey:
    * 1 light: butterfly, rembrandt, clamshell, side. With and without reflector
    * 2 lights: backlighting (skipped over conventional diagonal pattern due to its simplicity)

HighKey:
    * basic: 4 lights
    * advanced: 6 lights

Miss California Party
    * candids

Day Two: Workflow
    * TtMO (time-to-market optimization)
    * effective culling (Bridge/LR)
    * effective RAW editing (ACR/LR2)
    * tips and trick of portrait postprocessing (PS CS4)

Naturally there are tons of other stuff, especially lighting/posing wise... But you can only fit so much in so many days... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    A setup picture from the "sidelight" exercise:
    563275082_q9gpZ-XL.jpg
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    This is really good to see the setup. I wish there was a workshop like this around my area.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    This is really good to see the setup. I wish there was a workshop like this around my area.
    I'm sorry I didn't take more setup shots. My mind was on one track and one track only, especially after I almost blew it with the flake: make it work.
    I do have a few more test shots from the day one, but Leah and Brian should have much better ones, and it's definitely their time to show off:-)

As to having a sequel, my currently considered options are:
    • Mountain View, CA (always nice to see SM/BA people:-)
    • Toronto, Ca (i.e. the other Ca). Or Edmonton, if Ann can help it:-)
    • Somewhere on the East Coast
    • Somewhere Midwest
    Can be end of July or end of August. Any takers? ear.gifmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    • Somewhere Midwest

Oh! I first read that as Middle East!! :Dmwink.gifrofl Pity!!

This tease has heightened the anticipation!!

Best!

Neil

• Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Oh! I first read that as Middle East!! :Dmwink.gifrofl Pity!!

This tease has heightened the anticipation!!

Best!

Neil

I don't mind going to middle east either, just price would probably go up. mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I don't mind going to middle east either, just price would probably go up. mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

...along with the temperature??!! - 51degC todayeek7.gifrofl

• Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    ...along with the temperature??!! - 51degC todayeek7.gifrofl
    I've been to the Middle East a few times (kinda norhtern border of Afganistan and such). Not my favorite climate, but I can handle it. deal.gifmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    BIG box:

565130690_Bcf5b-M.jpg

Nik shows off 'light' ;)

565131110_C5f3E-M.jpg

Ways to modify your existing soft boxes for different light needs:

565131234_W4zFT-M.jpg

purdy gels:

565131862_zca95-M.jpg

The one light set up we started off with. Pesky point and shoot kept triggering the flashes, so I had to do this without flash. Sorry for the blur.

565133473_Y5gV4-M.jpg

DAY TWO:

Transformation of a kitchen island into a computer mecca:

565136261_EzRyb-M.jpg

the lucky 'us' :)

565138377_Cfy7w-M.jpg

with a preview on Nik's screen:

565138012_CFxkx-M.jpg
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009