Options

"Posing The Light" Workshop

1235»

Comments

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Great docco. Leah! Thank you! thumb.gif More?!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Great docco. Leah! Thank you! thumb.gif More?!

I was too busy otherwise taking 'real' photos! Those coming semi soon. I will probably do a write up on the workshop and such, but tomorrow. :)
    //Leah
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Yay, thanks Leah! Glad we finally have some behind the scenes pictures, so now we can tell it really did happen! mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    Ah! found this from from the dslr, the high key set up!

565178156_mVp9L-M.jpg

You can't see the two AB 400s on the floor hight to help make this full length. The mega-octa-soft box from the earlier post is also 'on' behind us
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    Ah! found this from from the dslr, the high key set up!
    You can't see the two AB 400s on the floor hight to help make this full length. The mega-octa-soft box from the earlier post is also 'on' behind us
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    565190575_P3eTU-M.jpg
    //Leah
  • Options
    blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    to much fun
    Just thought I would share a few photos that I shot over the weekend at my photo workshop with Nikolai. It was interesting to say the least the model was a pro really great working with her. Working with Nik was just a the best this guy knows
    lights And then ably to go to the party the Miss California was icing on the cake
    I highly recommended going to the next workshop you won't disappointed

565235814_qHCik-XL.jpg

565235832_ZD78X-XL.jpg

565235773_xDqv2-XL.jpg

565235371_ZYFan-XL.jpg

565235106_kbEGb-XL.jpg

565234890_DPiNF-XL.jpg

565239994_JcYE6-XL.jpg

565238303_UZBq4-XL.jpg

565236715_KQ2gp-XL.jpg
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    GADS!

I saw last week the opening you had - I just couldn't get a passport done up in time; hence my not pestering ya. Nik, you REALLY need to come to Vancouver, Man!
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    laugh
    Ooo, I remember that one. I bet Becca would be stoked to have it... clap.gif

This is one of the examples why do you
    1) have long shoots
    2) establish rapport with the model, make her/him comfortable
    3) never let go off your camera..

Becca (the model) mentioned that she never can get a good picture of her smiling. We looked at her portfolio and indeed she was dead serious/dramatic in all her images.

So we were having class, paying a very small attention to Becca as a model but still involving her into a conversation as if she would be one of the attendees. Naturally she got relaxed rather quickly, and while following the directions and suggesting stuff on her own, she was just plain comfortable. We were practicing high key, she was already at the spot, and yet another joke went away, she just laughed out loud - and Leah was ready to catch it.

It is the moments like this you should be looking for in senior or personal portraiture sessions. It is not a posed or directed shot. It shows your subject's internal beauty, who s/he really is. It's next to impossible to create on purpose, especially with a non-professinoal crowd, which most of the paying customers are. But what you can do is to create an atmosphere, prepare a setup - and then be damn sure you're ready when it happens... deal.gif

Great job on this Leah! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Ooo, I remember that one. I bet Becca would be stoked to have it... clap.gif

This is one of the examples why do you
    1) have long shoots
    2) establish rapport with the model, make her/him comfortable
    3) never let go off your camera..

Becca (the model) mentioned that she never can get a good picture of her smiling. We looked at her portfolio and indeed she was dead serious/dramatic in all her images.

So we were having class, paying a very small attention to Becca as a model but still involving her into a conversation as if she would be one of the attendees. Naturally she got relaxed rather quickly, and while following the directions and suggesting stuff on her own, she was just plain comfortable. We were practicing high key, she was already at the spot, and yet another joke went away, she just laughed out loud - and Leah was ready to catch it.

It is the moments like this you should be looking for in senior or personal portraiture sessions. It is not a posed or directed shot. It shows your subject's internal beauty, who s/he really is. It's next to impossible to create on purpose, especially with a non-professinoal crowd, which most of the paying customers are. But what you can do is to create an atmosphere, prepare a setup - and then be damn sure you're ready when it happens... deal.gif

Great job on this Leah! clap.gif

So right!thumb.gifD

• Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    Just thought I would share a few photos that I shot over the weekend at my photo workshop with Nikolai. It was interesting to say the least the model was a pro really great working with her. Working with Nik was just a the best this guy knows lights And then ably to go to the party the Miss California was icing on the cake
    I highly recommended going to the next workshop you won't disappointed
    Brian, thank you very much!

I know it's not fair to compare an image of a random teenage girl with one of a professional model. Yet you own the same lights and modifiers as I do, so the difference between the two following images is not necessarily in the model, but in your newly acquired knowledge of lighting and posing (and some in PP). Both images are by Brian, both use AB setup.
    You guys be the jury:

May 25th, i.e. "Before the PTL"

545280226_LzKxG-XL.jpg

June 15th, i.e. "After the PTL"

565235832_ZD78X-XL.jpg

clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    GADS!

I saw last week the opening you had - I just couldn't get a passport done up in time; hence my not pestering ya. Nik, you REALLY need to come to Vancouver, Man!
    I would love to! mwink.gif I love seeing new places and meeting new fellow aspiring photographers (and models) iloveyou.gif
    If you can get some local interest I have no problem crossing the border, my passport is in a good shape, and my setup is highly portable. deal.gif:D
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    My impression is your workshop opened doors for Brian.clap.gif I hope Brian does not think me condescending for saying that.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    My impression is your workshop opened doors for Brian.clap.gif I hope Brian does not think me condescending for saying that.
    I certainly hope it got his creative juices flowing. :-)
    One of the goals I was trying to achieve with this workshop is to reveal the resources that are readily available, but stay hidden and unrecognized until it suddenly hits you. In my case it took years. In this one, it was one weekend...mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    @blaser321 BTW, Brian, after looking at your copy I upgraded my copy of PP to v9 Studio:-) :ivar
    Here, I learned something, too:-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    NeilL wrote:

no

It was definitely an eye opener I can't wait to try some new stuff on my own
    I really like the hi key look so clean and sharp but my light setup is not quite here
    so now I need to order some new lights. I just new this class was going to cost me
    gee thanks Nik lol
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    It was definitely an eye opener. I can't wait to try some new stuff on my own.
    I really like the high key look... so clean and sharp; but my light setup is not quite here. So now I need to order some new lights. I just knew this class was going to cost me..
    gee thanks Nik lol
    You're welcome:-)
    As you know now, you can do a lot with 4 lights or less.
    Just not full height highkey :-) Sorry mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2009
    a few of the fun candid photos from the Saturday evening party:

567199263_K3gR4-M-1.jpg

567199322_ir4Pq-M-1.jpg

567199347_rgMJq-M-1.jpg

567199470_cTeQc-M-1.jpg

567199604_94mHf-M-1.jpg
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    a few of the fun candid photos from the Saturday evening party:
    Leah, images don't show (external links?) :cry
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Leah, images don't show (external links?) :cry

that's what I get for staying up until 2am processing images..... fixed now. I hope.
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    that's what I get for staying up until 2am processing images..... fixed now. I hope.
    Yay! thumb.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    catspaw wrote:

Cool shots!

Leah did you ever find the QR? --> http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124420

I was thinking about the 60mm but kind of wanted to see how that turned out.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    jhelms wrote:
    Cool shots!

Leah did you ever find the QR? --> http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124420

I was thinking about the 60mm but kind of wanted to see how that turned out.

Enough that I'm sticking with fedex ground and skipping USPS. Tracking numbers for the win! The lens was sent, as the buyer knew in spite of his impatience. I've never had any issues with FedEx - yet :) the last few I sent out were FedEx, but the $15-25 cost for packaging and shipping on the $30 lens was a bit much.
    //Leah
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    Enough that I'm sticking with fedex ground and skipping USPS. Tracking numbers for the win! The lens was sent, as the buyer knew in spite of his impatience. I've never had any issues with FedEx - yet :) the last few I sent out were FedEx, but the $15-25 cost for packaging and shipping on the $30 lens was a bit much.

Cool, I gotcha - tracking numbers rock!
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist