www.SmugMugPro.com

1235»

Comments

• darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    You couldn't use / apply all the features, and you couldn't easily change one setting across multiple galleries (and leaving their different settings alone).

Fair enough. But you didn't address the second part of my overly-long post:
    Darryl wrote:
    In fact, I think an old feature is now missing -- in the past if you switched a gallery's auto-watermark setting to a different watermark or from on to off, or vice-versa, another option popped up asking if you wanted to apply the settings to all of the existing photos in the gallery (which I believe is what Lou wants to do for multiple galleries).

Even for changes to a single gallery, I no longer see this option. This sucks because it means you have to take another step of going to Gallery Tools -> Many Photos -> Watermarking, doing a Select All and selecting your Watermark. Something that was a one-step process in Customize Gallery is now a cumbersome two-step.

So unless I'm reading the new Customize Gallery interface wrong, there is still no way to bulk watermark multiple galleries (except through my handy-dandy Perl script that uses the API. Whew -- good thing there's that API to save SmugMug from the trouble of implementing these features. ;-)

Did you guys remove the "Apply [Watermark Changes] to all existing photos in the gallery" option?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    Did you guys remove the "Apply [Watermark Changes] to all existing photos in the gallery" option?

Tools>many photos>more>watermarking
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    That's from the VB 3.8 manual, we're using VB 3.5
    Ooops. :hide
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited November 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Tools>many photos>more>watermarking

That's an extra step, Andy. Actually, several:

In the previous Customize Gallery, clicking to turn Watermarking On or Off would give you another checkbox, asking if you wanted to apply the change to all of the existing photos in the gallery. This is no longer an option.

In our case, when we enabled the digital original downloads for a kid's photos whose parents paid for them, we used to go into Customize Gallery and click four radio buttons/checkboxes: 1) Turn off right-click protection, 2) Make Original the largest size, 3) Turn off watermarks, 4) Apply watermark change to all existing photos.

Now it's substantially more clicks/mouse movements/page loads. Tools > Many Photos > More > Watermarking -> Remove, Select All, Watermark (That button is mislabeled, by the way. It should say "Submit" or something.)

Lamer still -- the old "apply change to existing gallery" option didn't even exist unless you touched Watermarking. So the old excuse that the Customize Gallery screen is too complicated and crowded with all the various options doesn't even apply. This very useful option was *hidden* until you needed it. But now it's just gone. Meh.
  • Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    That's an extra step, Andy. Actually, several:

In the previous Customize Gallery, clicking to turn Watermarking On or Off would give you another checkbox, asking if you wanted to apply the change to all of the existing photos in the gallery. This is no longer an option.

In our case, when we enabled the digital original downloads for a kid's photos whose parents paid for them, we used to go into Customize Gallery and click four radio buttons/checkboxes: 1) Turn off right-click protection, 2) Make Original the largest size, 3) Turn off watermarks, 4) Apply watermark change to all existing photos.

Now it's substantially more clicks/mouse movements/page loads. Tools > Many Photos > More > Watermarking -> Remove, Select All, Watermark (That button is mislabeled, by the way. It should say "Submit" or something.)

Lamer still -- the old "apply change to existing gallery" option didn't even exist unless you touched Watermarking. So the old excuse that the Customize Gallery screen is too complicated and crowded with all the various options doesn't even apply. This very useful option was *hidden* until you needed it. But now it's just gone. Meh.

Wow. So I can't update all of may galleries at once with my new watermark??? :cry
    edited November 9, 2009
    Wow. So I can't update all of may galleries at once with my new watermark??? :cry

You couldn't before, and you can't now. :-{

What I'm complaining about is that even for just *one* gallery, they've made it more of a pain to change the watermarks for all the photos, especially if you were changing other customization options for that gallery.

I have a small Perl script that can do bulk watermarking using the SmugMug API.

Basically it gets all of the album IDs and Keys for a given category ID, and then applies a given watermark to all of the photos in each of those albums.

It's not the most polished bit of code, but it does the job if you're willing to install Perl and dig up Watermark and Category IDs on your own (it's actually not that hard). Let me know if you're interested.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    This is no longer an option.

But now it's just gone. Meh.

headscratch.gif

20091109-1j6fwprd1h6be21xcmmxkx6j6p.jpg
    edited November 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    headscratch.gif

What the heck?! I could've *SWORN* that when the Multiple Gallery stuff went live that option wasn't there!

Oh man, I'm an idiot. Maybe I had the Multiple Galleries tab selected. I'm *sorry*. My mistake, totally.

(However, it would totally help people like Lou if that option was there for Multiple Galleries too.)
  • Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    You couldn't before, and you can't now. :-{

What I'm complaining about is that even for just *one* gallery, they've made it more of a pain to change the watermarks for all the photos, especially if you were changing other customization options for that gallery.

I have a small Perl script that can do bulk watermarking using the SmugMug API.

Basically it gets all of the album IDs and Keys for a given category ID, and then applies a given watermark to all of the photos in each of those albums.

It's not the most polished bit of code, but it does the job if you're willing to install Perl and dig up Watermark and Category IDs on your own (it's actually not that hard). Let me know if you're interested.

Yeah I was mistakenly thinking that the new bulk update gallery tool would allow me to apply watermarks to all of my galleries. I know SM will release something like this some day. I hope.