Is this chaotic enough?! (#20)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 2, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok, so yes, it needs a reshoot. I actually need to organise the RUBBLE in her rooom enough that I can get a relatively clear shot - at the moment, any crop which might be photographically acceptable chops off one of the many items on the floor. I think I overtilted this, too (alas, in my favorite of the batch the flash didn't fire so it's blurred. Phooey. :deal) The other nit I see is that in BW it doesn't really show up that she's using a laptop on the bed; I probably need to explore other conversion techniques to see if I can do that better.....

However, I was thinking of "Pre-adolescence" or "Transition to Adolescence" as a title. Worth pursuing? (Alternatively, I can just tell her that I died of shame and am abandoning the shoot so she MUST CLEAN HER ROOM :rofl)

480023092_Rf9CB-L.jpg

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    It is indeed very chaotic
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Laughing.gif, I was going to say that your daughter's room looks a lot like my daughter's room.

I think the tilt is fine--adds to the chaos imho. I would like to see more of your daughter on the bed (you're right--I couldn't tell she is using a laptop). I would say you're definitely on the right track with this one.

Sherry
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    My son's room makes that look like a suite at the Hilton.
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    looks just like my daughters room and her pose :D My poor laptop get used and abused by her and the room well................
    The clean room threat never works for me.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    You guys are cracking me up.... and making me feel SO MUCH BETTER!!! Given that I'm not a tidy person myself ::cough:: I'm always convinced that it's my Bad Mom 101 example that has led her to this slovenly nightmare (and no, I am NOT as bad as she is!!!!!) so it's actually quite comforting to know that it's not only me.... They will learn to do this so in time, right? RIGHT?! rolleyes1.gif

On a positive note, I do find it very sweet at this age that the things of childhood are still terribly important even while the tween/teen stuff starts to emerge. She MUST have her soft toys, her American Girl dolls (about the only thing she truly keeps organised) and still prefers to go to sleep with the light on even as Miley Cyrus, fashion ideas and fantasies of starting middle school next year to occupy her... Ah me. They grow up too fast! iloveyou.gif
    edited February 25, 2009
    Any better?

480630252_jwXaX-L-0.jpg
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Any better?

I think I like the first image a little better...having the boots so tidily placed together in the second image kind of diminishes the chaos for me.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    #2 with a re-shoot inmind because of the boots.!! (just as Paul stated)

also, one odd thing.... for some reason i want to see where the bed touches the floor...
    but maybe that is because this image is chaotic, and i am not allowed... so you have done your job...
    Aaron Nelson
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    I agree about the boots. I also don't like the vignette in #2. I think you're onto something here, though.

I have to admit that both my daughter's rooms tend to resemble these photos. Even after cleaning, the organization doesn't last more than half a day.

Caroline
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    I also agree about the boots. They need to be strewn carelessly on the floor: knocked over and nowhere near each other.

You can also add some clothes strewn on the floor, i.e., dirty socks, jeans, sweatshirt, etc.

I like the tilt but I'm not so sure about the vignette. headscratch.gif
    edited February 25, 2009
    The really funny thing? She has wanted Uggs for AGES and I said no for all sorts of reasons (starting with the $110 price tag). We finally found a pair real sheepskin knockoffs on sale and she paid for half of them and is soooo fastidious about them - they're about the only thing she takes care of (well, those and the American Girl dolls - I actually had to put Samantha there for the effect :)

Shame about the vignette -it solved so many of the cropping problems... rolleyes1.gif

Ah well - back tot eh drawing board on this I think. A reshoot at the minimum, and maybe I'll have a brainwave for a better idea..... headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif Thanks for the comments, folks (and the reassurance that it is not only in my house that this kind of chaos reigns!)
  • BillyTomBillyTom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Ah well - back tot eh drawing board on this I think. A reshoot at the minimum, and maybe I'll have a brainwave for a better idea..... headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif Thanks for the comments, folks (and the reassurance that it is not only in my house that this kind of chaos reigns!)

For me I think it all has great possibilities, including the vignette...its only the chaos that needs a little organization!! (I know....that's a contridiction isn't it ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif )....don't throw it away yet!!
    Bill James
    www.BillJamesPhotography.com
    Attempting to find beauty in the simple things!! :huh
    Nikon D80 - Nikkor 55-200 4-5.6 VR &
    Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5
    edited February 25, 2009
    Thanks Billy Tom! I think I've persuaded her to help me out again (bless her!) so we'll see what we come up with over the next few days..... headscratch.gif
  • sandman_78sandman_78 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 26, 2009
    I like where you are going with this shot!!!!

In the first shot the Hanna Montana book was too much in focus. My eye kept getting drawn back to it. In the second shot the boots were too neatly placed to convey "chaos" but after hearing why you put them in the shot I like having them organized among the "chaos." (maybe they just need to be moved?) And it may just be me but I still have a hard time making out the laptop in both photos.

My suggestion would be to keep the items of immediate interest to your daughter (laptop, dolls, boots) organized & positioned around her & the bed while letting everything else of secondary importance lay sporadically around the room. Displaying a sort of adolescent collateral that ties into the chaos theme of the challenge while keeping your "Transition of Adolesence" theme for the picture.
    edited February 26, 2009
    Sick of shots of my kid's messy room yet?! :giggle

Still more. Not sure I'm there yet, but having some fun with it (even if I'm now being blackmailed. "If you win anything, you can never ask me to clean my room EVER. AGAIN.". Umm... eek7.gifrofl)

The hardest thing is trying to come up with something that resembles organised comp WITHOUT overstaging the scenario. Not quite hitting my stride on this one headscratch.gif

1 481345598_pbVjV-L.jpg

2 481354215_GPCDt-L.jpg

3 481389682_VoChQ-L.jpg
  • AnnasPhotosAnnasPhotos Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    I like number 2 also. My daughters room looks worse than that, and she is 25!:D
    Photography is just not about taking pictures....
    It's a learning experience. :D
    My Blog
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    I like #2. I like the darkness of the room, but then it isn't too dark. I also like the stay out sign laying down. I can see it, but it doesn't look posed, just thrown in with the rest.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    #3. I like that she has more light on her face than #2. I like the lower to the ground perspective- it's as if you're in the midst of the chaos rather than an outside observer. I also think #2 is a little too dark
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Ok, so yes, it needs a reshoot. I actually need to organise the RUBBLE in her rooom enough that I can get a relatively clear shot - at the moment, any crop which might be photographically acceptable chops off one of the many items on the floor. I think I overtilted this, too (alas, in my favorite of the batch the flash didn't fire so it's blurred. Phooey. deal.gif) The other nit I see is that in BW it doesn't really show up that she's using a laptop on the bed; I probably need to explore other conversion techniques to see if I can do that better.....

However, I was thinking of "Pre-adolescence" or "Transition to Adolescence" as a title. Worth pursuing? (Alternatively, I can just tell her that I died of shame and am abandoning the shoot so she MUST CLEAN HER ROOM rolleyes1.gif)

480023092_Rf9CB-L.jpg
    I love this photo - it reminds me of a picture I took of my son when he was 3years old. He had dumped out ALL of his toys and when i say all I mean there was literally no room to walk he was wearing his superman cape with a hoodie and he had fallen asleep on top of his toys. The title was: "Even superheros must sleep" I wish I still had it but the photo was taken on one of those really old digital cameras that take floppy disks and was lost when we moved.:cry
    Courtney
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    I would like your first image, with the disorganized boots, but pp'd to the contrast levels of the second one you posted..

Do you know how crazy you are???:smo
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited February 27, 2009
    Thanks all - I'm actually working on a variation on this idea if I can get it to work, but it has been an endless day and I'm too tired to post it tonight. But I'll be back (said in best Terminator voice :D)
    HoofClix wrote:
    I would like your first image, with the disorganized boots, but pp'd to the contrast levels of the second one you posted..

Do you know how crazy you are???:smo

Moi?????!!!!????

rolleyes1.gifencore:giggle
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    For my 2cents I really love number one.

Good luck.

peace,gail:D
    edited February 28, 2009
    Man, I'm hitting the brick wall on this one... Despite two reshoots, I can't quite seem to nail it!

I think I know what I want from this particular shot, but I'm having a devil of a time figuring out how I can do it.

The title would be "How She Sees It". The intention is the child in a distorted clear bubble with the things of importance and relevance also clear within it (sphere + some blending glows) with the mess outside and irrelevant (distortion filter), but... Bleeeaaahhhh. This one's making me crazy cuz I can't do what I want with it.... rolleyes1.gif

482217251_bYbMz-L.jpg
    edited February 28, 2009
    Or a more "purist" shot for the original title...

482250956_RPESV-L-0.jpg
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    That last shot of your daughter on her bed has the most authentic-looking mess/chaos on the floor. thumb.gif It looks like my nieces tore through her room. :eek1 rolleyes1.gif If you're going to go with the messy room idea, this is the one to enter. mwink.gif Maybe crop it just a tad from the right to remove the black thing touching the book?

That sphere-looking effect on the former isn't doing much for me. You're losing the chaotic element (her mess), IMO by using that. ne_nau.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2009
    I agree with richters--the last one is the one to use! Honestly, I like the very first one best, but #2 is probably technically a better shot. In most of the others, your daughter looks posed to me. In this last one, she looks like you just caught her unaware. I like the lighting better in the last one also.

You've put in a lot of work and it's been fun to watch the evolution! Good luck!!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited February 28, 2009
    Thanks both - my feeling too. The sphere idea worked GREAT on a different shot, with one major technical flaw which I tried to "shoot out" of the original in this last batch, but it just doesn't work. Good idea but I either don't have the skill to execute it well enough, or maybe it's just one of those "only great in my mind" kind of ideas rolleyes1.gif

Thanks! I'll clean up this last one and post it. I need to be DONE with this one, if only so I can get her to clean her room properly! (hhmmm... maybe there's an idea, a triptych of clean transitioning to messy..... :yikes :giggle)
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Divamum,

I really like the current entry you have in the gallery. One thing, because I don't want you to get disqualified - it looks more sepia to me then b/w. My monitor is calibrated, and yours looked sepia (lightly) where as all the rest of the images looked greyscale. Just thought I'd let you know in case it is really an issue and not my imagination.:D
    ~ Lisa
    edited March 1, 2009
    darkdragon wrote:
    Divamum,

I really like the current entry you have in the gallery. One thing, because I don't want you to get disqualified - it looks more sepia to me then b/w. My monitor is calibrated, and yours looked sepia (lightly) where as all the rest of the images looked greyscale. Just thought I'd let you know in case it is really an issue and not my imagination.:D

Oooo.... thanks. It's actually a standard bw conversion as far as I know, so I'm not sure what to do about that! I'll post in the thread and see if the mods have an opinion on that issue...

Thanks for the heads up!! thumb.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 1, 2009
    I also like the one you have entered. I see what dg is saying about just a tad red. If you look at it in comparason to the rest of the shots in the album there is a very minute red to it...albiet ever so slight. On its own it looked b/w