*ENTRY* Thread DSS #21: Book Cover - Exclusive Month-Long Challenge!

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited April 8, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #21

Welcome to Round #21 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, March 9, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, April 6, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Book Cover

Completely alluring - that's what we're after here. Imagine your shot is for a cover of a book. Any book you want - coffee table, novel, biography, fiction, education, cook book - whatever. Add a tempting title (the image title will be the title for your "book" - no need to add text on top of your image unless you really want to.) Your completed work should make the viewer unable to resist picking it up to discover the contents. Who knows...maybe this could even become a catalyst for a full project!

We want this one to be your best work ever, and so you have a full 4 weeks to complete this challenge. This should give you plenty of time to brainstorm your ideas, scout locations/props, etc., work with any models, allow for weather and plenty of time for post processing. I'm looking forward to seeing your awesoome entries!

Your Judges:
annnna8888 (Winner of DSS Round #19)
Greensquared (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Emily,
    What about an E-book? Not trying to be a pain here just courious. I figure my books are better in detail and looks anyway
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    300m wrote:
    Emily,
    What about an E-book? Not trying to be a pain here just courious. I figure my books are better in detail and looks anyway

Uh, what difference does that make? We're just talking an idea for an image, yeah?
    Emily

• 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Uh, what difference does that make? We're just talking an idea for an image, yeah?

Very true and I am guilty of not reading that this is a month long challenge. I just figured the usual 2 weeks..... Changes my thought train a bit to a different level.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Good grief, Emily - how do you think of these things????!!!??? eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

Seriously thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    We have a month to come up with ideas? eek7.gif

I love it! There should be some fabulous entries this round. thumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 9, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    We have a month to come up with ideas? eek7.gif
    Yes. In the interest of full disclosure - we've run into a case of bad timing. Emily is up to her eyeballs, and I'm about to disappear for two full weeks with essentially no access to Dgrin.

So basically, we're asking you to be on your best behavior this month. You already all do a great job of helping each other out - from photo advice, to rule interpretation/clarification. This month we're asking you to give a bit more, the relaxed pace should make this easier.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Wow!
    This should be very very interesting!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yes. In the interest of full disclosure - we've run into a case of bad timing. Emily is up to her eyeballs, and I'm about to disappear for two full weeks with essentially no access to Dgrin.

So basically, we're asking you to be on your best behavior this month. You already all do a great job of helping each other out - from photo advice, to rule interpretation/clarification. This month we're asking you to give a bit more, the relaxed pace should make this easier.

WOOOOHOOOO.... KEGGER!!!!
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Speaking of being on best behavior, Do you need a sample image ;) i just did this one this past weekend so it wont qualify.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    quick clarification. does the part about not having frames and all that not count this round?
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited March 9, 2009
    quick clarification. does the part about not having frames and all that not count this round?

Yes, no borders. I'm not sure what "and all that" refers to, but if it's the rule, it sticks.
    Emily

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 9, 2009
    WOOOOHOOOO.... KEGGER!!!!
    And that's the thanks I get?! The good beverages flow in my absence...

I tell ya, kids!!!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Very nice, interesting and... challenging theme!!!

We'll see some beauties here :cool
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Very interesting topic! Might be able to sneak some Spring shots in before the deadline :ivar
  • anjelanjel Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2009
    This is such a great challenge idea that my brain is already on overload with ideas! In psycho-babble terms, don't they call it "rapid cycling?" Wish I could put a filter in my head to sort out the mess! ponder.....ponder...... Can't wait to see everyone's contribution.headscratch.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 10, 2009
    oh this totally is awsome!! Well now...a whole month to come up with an entry.....thinking...thinking....thinking...thinking....headscratch.gif
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Well, I am glad anjel and JAG are having ideas... All I see is a wall! Do they call it "photographers block"? eek7.gif
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    CookieS wrote:
    Speaking of being on best behavior, Do you need a sample image ;) i just did this one this past weekend so it wont qualify.

Tsk tsk...It's spelled "sequel" - beware the wrath of the teacher rolleyes1.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 10, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    Well, I am glad anjel and JAG are having ideas... All I see is a wall! Do they call it "photographers block"? eek7.gif

who said anything about having an idea? I said I was thinking...thinking...thinking....:D
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    I may have to get in on this one...it's a very interesting category! ;)thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    I may have to get in on this one...it's a very interesting category! ;)thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

I will be travelling to Georgia for Spring Break to visit parents and in-laws. We will actually be in Cartersville for part of this time. Anyone know any good shooting spots by chance? :D

Sherry
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    This one should be worth double the points and double the moola! Double dgrin website monies and double gift cards!

Where's the punch?
    edited March 13, 2009
    slpollett wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

I will be travelling to Georgia for Spring Break to visit parents and in-laws. We will actually be in Cartersville for part of this time. Anyone know any good shooting spots by chance? :D

Sherry

I live in Cartersville, Sherry. I suggest the drive to Rome and going here. :D Not sure how that fits in with the theme, but it has so many awesome shooting opportunities.
    Emily

edited March 13, 2009
    This one should be worth double the points and double the moola! Double dgrin website monies and double gift cards!

Where's the punch?

:toni lol3.gif
    Emily

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    I live in Cartersville, Sherry. I suggest the drive to Rome and going here. :D Not sure how that fits in with the theme, but it has so many awesome shooting opportunities.

Hey, thanks Emily. I knew you live there and was hoping you'd share some good locations that didn't involve driving back to Atlanta. My in-laws just moved up there in November and this will be my first trip to the new place. I'm more familiar with the Northeast side of Atlanta area (other relatives in Loganville and Monroe area). I haven't travelled your direction out of Atlanta since I was a little kid.

And...almost any location could be made to fit the theme IF one can manage to compose and snap the perfect picture and then think of a fitting book title. Piece of cake. (Yeah, RIGHT!)

I really enjoy taking pictures of flowers, landscapes, buildings, etc. All my relatives know that having me around doesn't necessarily mean more family pics--it just means that I have them drive me around and stop at lots of interesting looking places. They humor me while I take dozens of shots of one thing. There is always at least one drive like that in any visit I make.

Thanks again for the destination suggestion. :D:D:D

Sherry
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Noooooo! I have incited the wrath!
    :help :argue :poke :beatwax :duel :rutt drums.gif :grim :thwak
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Savannah
    slpollett wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Sherry

Don't know if you live on the east coast, but since you're close you might as well take a couple hour drive to Savannah. Beautiful photo ops everywhere there!
    edited March 14, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    Don't know if you live on the east coast, but since you're close you might as well take a couple hour drive to Savannah. Beautiful photo ops everywhere there!

About a 5 hour drive from Cartersville, but lovely if you have the time.
    Emily

• KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Need a clarification
    Emily,
    Seems some of us are unclear about specifics on this challenge. Are we supposed to come up with a completely new book or is it left open to real OR made up titles? (See attached thread)
    Thanks

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124087
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Emily,
    Seems some of us are unclear about specifics on this challenge. Are we supposed to come up with a completely new book or is it left open to real OR made up titles? (See attached thread)
    Thanks

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124087

I was wondering the same thing. headscratch.gif I have some ideas for existing book titles. Unfortunately none of them involve traveling to Tahiti so that I could title mine "Tales from the South Pacific". rolleyes1.gif