*ENTRY* Thread DSS #21: Book Cover - Exclusive Month-Long Challenge!

Comments

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Emily,
    Seems some of us are unclear about specifics on this challenge. Are we supposed to come up with a completely new book or is it left open to real OR made up titles? (See attached thread)
    Thanks

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124087

Wow, it is amazing how different minds think. I never even thought of that at all, so I guess I do need to clarify. No, I don't want you doing a currently known book title. I want to see something that is totally your own. Maybe something that is a spin off of your interests. Does this mean you can't use your current image? No, just name it something else.

The idea is that the shot would stand alone on the cover of a book with enough kapow to make someone want to pick it up and find out what's inside. Yes, you can still add your title, but it's the enticement of the image that we're after. Judging the book by the cover, so to speak.

Does that clear up the ambiguity?
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Wow, it is amazing how different minds think. I never even thought of that at all, so I guess I do need to clarify. No, I don't want you doing a currently known book title. I want to see something that is totally your own. Maybe something that is a spin off of your interests. Does this mean you can't use your current image? No, just name it something else.

The idea is that the shot would stand alone on the cover of a book with enough kapow to make someone want to pick it up and find out what's inside. Yes, you can still add your title, but it's the enticement of the image that we're after. Judging the book by the cover, so to speak.

Does that clear up the ambiguity?

Thanks Em!
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    So do we need to embed the book title in the image?
    So are we to add the book title to the image or is the image supposed to be clean of all text and borders and only add the title as the image name when we upload?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    So are we to add the book title to the image or is the image supposed to be clean of all text and borders and only add the title as the image name when we upload?

From the original post:
    Add a tempting title (the image title will be the title for your "book" - no need to add text on top of your image unless you really want to.)deal.gif
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    sdways01 wrote:
    From the original post:
    Add a tempting title (the image title will be the title for your "book" - no need to add text on top of your image unless you really want to.)deal.gif

Thanks!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    Question about the rules...
    I have a question about the rules:

If I use printed photographs as props in my image, do those photographs have to also be taken within the challenge timeframe?
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2009
    karlabbott wrote:
    If I use printed photographs as props in my image, do those photographs have to also be taken within the challenge timeframe?

As long as the printed photos are part of the overall composition, they do not have to be taken within the challenge time frame.

Here's an example of what I mean from a past challenge entry: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/6945681_onzG8#453242815_5skx4
  • annsanannsan Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    LOve the uploading style for this! have question...
    I looked at the first few entries... a couple have text a couple don't - just the image... seems like that makes for apples and oranges... is the contest "this would be a terrific shot to use on a cover"? or this is just how I'd design the whole thing?

TIA for tips

annsan
    edited March 20, 2009
    Annsan, the choice to add text or not is yours. It isn't a requirement. Scroll up a little (or look at the first post) and there's your answer. thumb.gif
    sdways01 wrote:
  • annsanannsan Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Annsan, the choice to add text or not is yours. It isn't a requirement. Scroll up a little (or look at the first post) and there's your answer. thumb.gif

Ok - Got it -- thanks! I took the plunge a few mins ago :-)
  • tbsharptbsharp Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 23, 2009
    Dq ?
    I tried to enter my very first contest, the transportation, (tbsharp - perfect C&W song) and I got DQd within seconds. I am not sure what I did wrong. Do you list anywhere WHY the DQ? Mine was an original work, taken in the time on the subject with the information available about the shot. If you could let me know so I don't make the same mistake again. Thanks.
    edited March 23, 2009
    tbsharp wrote:
    I tried to enter my very first contest, the transportation, (tbsharp - perfect C&W song) and I got DQd within seconds. I am not sure what I did wrong. Do you list anywhere WHY the DQ? Mine was an original work, taken in the time on the subject with the information available about the shot. If you could let me know so I don't make the same mistake again. Thanks.

Tracy, I did list why the DQ in the appropriate entry thread (#22): http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1071787&postcount=14

Round #22 ended this morning at 8am EST. You entered after the cut-off time.

Round #21 is still running, so you have time to enter the book cover challenge. thumb.gif
    edited March 27, 2009
    How's everyone doing? Are you creating some best-sellers? :D Enjoying or hating the month to plan?
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    How's everyone doing? Are you creating some best-sellers? :D Enjoying or hating the month to plan?

I've just held my thesis presentation (it went fairly well :D ), so now I might actually have the time to put my idea into production. And for that I need to rent a pair studio strobes mwink.gif

So yeah, I kinda like the extra time lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited March 27, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    I've just held my thesis presentation (it went fairly well :D )...

Oh, congrats! clap.gif One of my best friends here just defended her dissertation and has finally been awarded her PhD. Took her many years. I'm betting a month is a nice break. :D
    edited March 27, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Oh, congrats! clap.gif One of my best friends here just defended her dissertation and has finally been awarded her PhD. Took her many years. I'm betting a month is a nice break. :D

Plan is to celebrate by having a taste of some beer aged in whiskey barrels beer.gif

I still have to finish writing the thesis itself, but I feel now like I might actually graduate one day lol3.gif

Pass my congrats to your PhD friend :D
    Creativity's hard.

• bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Fresh Images
    Might want to do a friendly reminder that the images must be taken during the contest period. Some entries don't meet that requirement.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

:bash :bash :bash

That's how I'm doing....

None of my ideas QUITE work to my satisfaction, and looking at real book covers made me crazy - unless they're a fine art or photography book they are WAY less about the photo and more about the graphics (most of which mask any photo which might have been used, and the photo is usually heavily manipulated). Yes, I can to that (up to a point), but then I think "But this is dgrin, not "Books R Us" and therefore it should be about the PHOTO not the layout".... and come around again in a giant circle. Plus it's raining, so my backup ideas are, quite literally, washed out.

There, is that enough whining for you?!?!??!? rolleyes1.gif

I quite like the month for this one, but I think extra time gives me time to think TOO hard. I know my best shots have typically been spur-of-the-moment, or the ones that I came up with pretty quickly and attacked in a blitzkrieg of energy, so I'm beginning to think that, for me at least, I need to keep things spontaneous. Of course, that's my problem, not the challenges!

There ya go: more than you ever wanted to know about my (currently bottled up) creative process :D
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    I think we should have another lightning round to give divamum a little distraction from overthinking and maybe she'll stumble onto her winning entry!!
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    rolleyes1.gif
    sounds fun to me, but I bet there are those who wouldn't find it so welcome.
    :jawdrop
    edited March 28, 2009
    Hey folks, just FYI that I had a small emergency this evening that'll cause me to be missing a bit tomorrow. Behave while I'm out, okay? :D And be patient if you have anything that needs to be answered during the day. thumb.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Hey folks, just FYI that I had a small emergency this evening that'll cause me to be missing a bit tomorrow. Behave while I'm out, okay? :D And be patient if you have anything that needs to be answered during the day. thumb.gif

Hope everything's ok, Kerry.....
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 29, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Plan is to celebrate by having a taste of some beer aged in whiskey barrels beer.gif

I still have to finish writing the thesis itself, but I feel now like I might actually graduate one day lol3.gif

Pass my congrats to your PhD friend :D
    Put the beer on hold mate, the defense is the easy part (and I'm surprised you could do it before the writing was 99% complete)! I was sequestered for a month writing up! Good luck, I'll raise a glass when you finish the hard part. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 29, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Put the beer on hold mate, the defense is the easy part (and I'm surprised you could do it before the writing was 99% complete)! I was sequestered for a month writing up! Good luck, I'll raise a glass when you finish the hard part. nod.gif

It wasn't a defence, just a presentation about my Master's. But hey, there are worse reasons for a beer, eh?
    Creativity's hard.

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 29, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    It wasn't a defence, just a presentation about my Master's. But hey, there are worse reasons for a beer, eh?
    A ha, got it. Milestones are good, keep at it! It's a long road, but worth it... I think lol3.gif

You going for a PhD as well?

And regardless, indeed, any reason is a good reason for beer!!! (especially a fine cask aged one!)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 31, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    A ha, got it. Milestones are good, keep at it! It's a long road, but worth it... I think lol3.gif

You going for a PhD as well?

We'll see, but probably not.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    And regardless, indeed, any reason is a good reason for beer!!! (especially a fine cask aged one!)

The 12 was pretty good too, recommended thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• mpflies2mpflies2 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    please delete photo
    To the admin of this challenge....

could you please delete the image "Thoroughfare of Enchantment" by mplies2 on Page 1? I reuploaded it, and it now shows up on the last page. I tried to use the replace feature but it said I didn't have proper permission.

Thanks alot.

Marc Payne
    mpflies2
  • DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Technical question here. If I used more than one image, how do I embed the EXIF for all the images used into the one which I submit? headscratch.gif
    Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Drin wrote:
    Technical question here. If I used more than one image, how do I embed the EXIF for all the images used into the one which I submit? headscratch.gif
    The image that you post will have it embedded, so that one is covered. Any others, just supply a link to them under your caption. Hope this helps.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book