Options

SMUGs SMUGs and more SMUGs

Comments

• Options
    jeffjochumjeffjochum Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    JCC wrote:
    Jeff- A coupla questions/ideas.
    1. What happened to the OC smug? Or are we sandwiched inbetween LA and SD and should choose one or the other?
    2. Don't even think about having another smug without handing out those cool SmugMug Pro T-shirts, or a camera strap, or sticker, notepad, pencil, greyscale card or at least something.
    3. Create ways to find the thread(s) relating to smugs. They can easily transition into the online side of the user groups you hope to develop for each area. Some places you could add links within dgrin depending on how much support you want to give the smug idea:
    - in the Quick Links drop down menu
    - in the "Shooters" list so at least it will come up in search.
    - on the dgrin splash page nr pro support listing
    Outside of dgrin, link from the two smugs pages you have put up.
    4. Since so much of the fotofusion discussion centered on the Canon, bring one and demo it. Or bring the latest dslr/video hybrid, video the smug and post an abridged version.
    Jill

1. OC SMUG still a GO, just trying to get a venue locked down for a recurring date. Jasmine just sent me a note saying she was shooting a wedding out of town this w/e but would get it resolved first of next week. Stay tuned to @MugToMug on Twitter for updates.
    2. I hear ya loud and clear. :)
    3. Great suggestions. Andy is the master of this realm and I'll ask him for direction on what and where is best to do this.
    4. I was hoping to do exactly that, but Curt and rob are generally so wiped after the first day of class, they couldn't lift their cameras. However, I think I have a solution for upcoming SMUGs to do just that. Again, stay tuned.

BTW, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you thinking about, and taking the time to write, ways to make SMUGs more successful. Ultimately, this is eactly what will make them be HUGE (they're really yours, not ours, after all) and I'm excited to see such interest. Thx.

jeff
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    JCC wrote:
    3. Create ways to find the thread(s) relating to smugs. They can easily transition into the online side of the user groups you hope to develop for each area. Some places you could add links within dgrin depending on how much support you want to give the smug idea:
    - in the Quick Links drop down menu
    - in the "Shooters" list so at least it will come up in search.
    - on the dgrin splash page nr pro support listing
    Outside of dgrin, link from the two smugs pages you have put up.

Thanks Jill, we've got this Sticky Thread, and the notices that you can subscribe to on http://www.smugmug.com/smugs/find and we've published those pages in our release notes http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/2009/05/09/smugs-may-7th-2009/ as well. And, on the login page there's a reminder as well :D

I'll see what else we can do on Dgrin, too, thanks clap.gif
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    SMUG in Frisco and Silicon Valley
    Just wanted to say how excited I am to be able to go to San Francisco to attend two SMUG events -- one after the other! :)

I've never actually been to San Francisco, so this is all very exciting for me! clap.gif

My only regret is that there's no way for my wife and kids to come this time, so, I'll be all alone during the days. :cry (Although, I am planning on going to Alcatraz on the 28th mwink.gif ).

David
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    I am glad Paul didn't have to make the drive to Tampa to the postponed event there. But I am sure glad it got changed, because I hadn't been paying attention and only saw these today.

Now that it got moved to August, we can actually be there wings.gif

Are people from SmugMug going to be at these events, or organized by locals? Surely they aren't being run by the guest speakers, but I don't see anywhere that says if any of the Heroes are coming.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2009
    NomadRip wrote:
    I am glad Paul didn't have to make the drive to Tampa to the postponed event there. But I am sure glad it got changed, because I hadn't been paying attention and only saw these today.

Now that it got moved to August, we can actually be there wings.gif

Are people from SmugMug going to be at these events, or organized by locals? Surely they aren't being run by the guest speakers, but I don't see anywhere that says if any of the Heroes are coming.
    While SMUGs will ultimately be run by each local group, they are sponsored and supported by SmugMug. After the launch in each city, someone from the local area will become SMUG Leader and make sure the group has everything it needs each month to grow. Some details on this are here: http://SmugMug.com/smugs

At each SMUG launch, there will be at least one semi-hero (me) there, and we have guest speakers who will be there to amaze and stupify. So far, we've also had other SmugMug heroes show up for every launch meeting - which seriously increases the amazing stupification. thumb.gif (I'm able to be stupiferous on my own, but I think they feel sorry for me.) eek7.gif

See you in Tampa!

jeff
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Time to put one in the Carolinas! My first choice would be Greenville (SC) but you'll probably say that's too small so how about Charlotte (NC)? The Charlotte MSA has 1.7 Million people. Oughta be plenty of Smuggers in that, right?
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    jeffjochum wrote:
    While SMUGs will ultimately be run by each local group, they are sponsored and supported by SmugMug. After the launch in each city, someone from the local area will become SMUG Leader and make sure the group has everything it needs each month to grow. Some details on this are here: http://SmugMug.com/smugs

At each SMUG launch, there will be at least one semi-hero (me) there, and we have guest speakers who will be there to amaze and stupify. So far, we've also had other SmugMug heroes show up for every launch meeting - which seriously increases the amazing stupification. thumb.gif (I'm able to be stupiferous on my own, but I think they feel sorry for me.) eek7.gif

See you in Tampa!

jeff

That's where I read about it in the first place and came here to learn more. It said the locals would handle follow-up SMUGs, but was vague on who was going to be there for the first one.

I'm glad we get to meet you! I am hoping to meet as many of you as I can. Hopefully you'll have time to see some sights! wings.gif
  • Options
    PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Hey all... I'm the L.A. SMUG leader. I look forward to seeing and meeting all the L.A. SMUGgers out there a week from today!

This is open to all photographers, even if you're not a SmugMug member. Everyone's welcome. Network, share, learn. Guest speakers to appear every month. Invite friends. DJ and Robert Evans spoke at last month's meeting! Come check it out.

Thursday May 21, 2009 and the third Thursday of each month after
    Doors open at 7:00 and the meeting starts at 7:30 PM.

The Global Cafe
    11002 Ventura Blvd. at Vineland
    Studio City, California

Here's the Facebook event page.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2009
    Created a Google Calendar with details for all the SMUG's!

Get it in:

XML ICal or HTML

ICal works with most Calendar programs. HTML will let you view it in your browser.

FYI, all times are adjusted to PDT, so, events in different timezones occur at the correct time. If you are physically in New York, you will see the New York SMUG in the calendar listed at 6PM; which is correct for you. However, your friend in California will see the same event at 3PM. Which is also correct. At 3PM PDT, the event occurs (it is the same time as 6PM EDT is in New York). Make sense? It's a limitation of Google Calendar to do this--I'd prefer to show it as an absolute time, even though it's not technically as correct. The end result is that all events, for YOU, in the appropriate geographic area/time zone will show up perfectly correct (I hope!)

Enjoy!

David
  • Options
    PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    I'm happy to announce that our guest speaker for the May 21 SMUG in Los Angeles is the inspirational and insightful... I'll even say amazing, Scott Robert Lim!

Join us at The Global Cafe next Thursday to meet Scott and other members of the SmugMug community in person!
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2009
    DrDavid wrote:
    Created a Google Calendar with details for all the SMUG's!

Get it in:

XML ICal or HTML

ICal works with most Calendar programs. HTML will let you view it in your browser.

FYI, all times are adjusted to PDT, so, events in different timezones occur at the correct time. If you are physically in New York, you will see the New York SMUG in the calendar listed at 6PM; which is correct for you. However, your friend in California will see the same event at 3PM. Which is also correct. At 3PM PDT, the event occurs (it is the same time as 6PM EDT is in New York). Make sense? It's a limitation of Google Calendar to do this--I'd prefer to show it as an absolute time, even though it's not technically as correct. The end result is that all events, for YOU, in the appropriate geographic area/time zone will show up perfectly correct (I hope!)

Enjoy!

David

Thanks for the great effort on this, David. Much appreciated.

jeff
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2009
    PeterGar wrote:
    I'm happy to announce that our guest speaker for the May 21 SMUG in Los Angeles is the inspirational and insightful... I'll even say amazing, Scott Robert Lim!

Join us at The Global Cafe next Thursday to meet Scott and other members of the SmugMug community in person!
    I'm planning on being there :) For those who don't know (like me rolleyes1.gif ) where the Global Cafe is, check it out on Google Maps. It's at:

Global Cafe
    11002 Ventura Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 91604

Hope to see LOTS of people there! :)

David
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2009
    Tampa PhotoFusion (and SMUG) Moved (for the last time!)
    Sorry to do this, but the PhotoFusion guys just discovered the venue in Tampa Bay was double-booked, and have been forced to move the class out one week, to August 24-25. Location etc stays the same.

This also means the SMUG launch for Tampa gets moved too (since we use their hotel to have this first meeting) to Aug 24, @ 6PM. Very sorry for this bit of a chicken-dance. We'll try not to disappoint if you can make it to the meeting.

jeff
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Some pics from Ziv from the SF Smug last night :)
    http://zivi.smugmug.com/gallery/8345130_dBsjP#547137043_SfNA6-A-LB
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    A big thanks to Baldy and Jeff (SmugMug) for putting this together. It was a great event. thumb.gif
    The sponsor reps were fabulous. I am really looking forward to seeing some of the products available that were shown to us last night.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Silicon Valley SMUG is tonight, 7pm@ Smuggy HQ. See you there!
    http://www.smugmug.com/smugs/find
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Silicon Valley SMUG is tonight, 7pm@ Smuggy HQ. See you there!
    http://www.smugmug.com/smugs/find

Larry Abitbol from Bay Photo talking to a Standing Room Only crowd of Silicon Valley SMUGs :)
    (Photo courtesy Frederick)

huy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    Another pic of the HQ Smug from last week (you may need to scroll to the right ---> ):

551185310_bBAon-X3.jpg

Photo by George Hamma clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    BlogOCSmug0002.jpg

Jasmine Star, leader of last night's Orange County SMUG. Click the sweet treats to read it :D
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Smugmug Cookies!
    Ok I'm probably in the wrong forum posting stuff under the wrong title ...
    ... but I can't believe that someone (you guys?) in OC made smugmug cookies:

http://www.jasminestarblog.com/index.cfm?postID=589 (2nd picture down)

Omg you guys rock. :D (also I want the recipe .. please, sir?)
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    JCCJCC Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2009
    The Cookies Were Great, So Was Jasmine!
    Andy wrote:

Jasmine Star, leader of last night's Orange County SMUG. Click the sweet treats to read it :D

It was a great Smug. Jasmine knows how to throw a party, read more about it here http://FotoBento.com

Thanks,

Jill

• Options
    edited June 8, 2009
    :D they sure looked amazing, eh?
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    June Chicago SMUG mtg
    We're just a few days away from the June Chicago SMUG. If you haven't seen the details yet, they're on the SMUG page and facebook.

Celebrity wedding photographer and founder of Bella Pictures, Bob Davis, will be our guest speaker. With stores around the globe, Calumet Photographic is the store of choice for many pro photographers. They'll have a rep on hand to answer any camera gear questions AND for a couple of giveaways!

Don't miss out!
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    Scott McLeod PhotoScott McLeod Photo Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Glad to see you added a SMUG in Atlanta. At least its pretty close. Besides Tampa it is the only one in the Southeast you have even listed. I am in Birmingham and know about 5 smugmug users in the area.

Well maybe we will have enough interest for one in this area.

Scott
    WTB: 1GB and 512k CF cards.
    I have a need for a decent # of these smaller cards. If you have multiple cards that would be great. I am located at zip code 35243 & 35255.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    Why there was no public notice for SF Smug meeting
    Well I think that I found out why. Not only did I shift my schedule on a few days notice, I got to fight the tourists gawking at the Golden Gate Bridge, the rush hour traffic in downtown SF, the complete morons who have no understanding of the concept of the cross walk, I got to realize that there is no parking anywhere.

Of course a caveat in the email notifying those of us who wanted to attend would have been nice. I guess if you lived in the city and had access to Bart or Muni or whatever other public transportation it would be okay.

Not that the day was a total loss. The guys at the fire station down the street from Gene's studio had a heck of a laugh when I asked about parking within walking distance. Probably the best laugh that they have had in quite some time.

I love the idea of this group, but how about some forethought for those of us who have to drive to these group meetings. It isn't that I mind fighting the traffic or the pedestrians, but the wasted time today seriously left a bad taste in my mouth. I hope that future Smug user meetings will be announced in a timely manner and any details like a serious lack of parking will be mentioned.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Steve, if you're referring to the change of venue, I'm investigating. I'm so sorry about any confusion.

I don't know why the venue changed but I do know that it was Tweeted here:

http://twitter.com/mugtomug and here: http://twitter.com/genehiga/status/2281425520
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    SF Smug, tonight - a lot of folks did make it!

65268409.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    50 or so folks at Seattle Smug right now:

20090623-b9q3ib48tins2eg848xy14i776.jpg