Options

Shooting motocross 2009 style.

Comments

• Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    and here is one from the autograph signing. keep in mind Tony D is confied to his quad which is a big one and has a big "roof" on it.

Tony D. Roger D. Danny Laporte. Jo jo Keller (blue) Pat Moroney, Broc Glover, and Weinert, and that might be John Dowd he's talking too.

This is the 3rd time I've seen Tony D within a year as he teaches a MX class once a year at a local track and he is truly a man of great presence given his situation.

621445899_ZPLdd-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    621662499_KMLG2-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    622752697_EfNqU-X2-1.jpg
  • Options
    tom_otom_o Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I was at Unadilla too! You're right, it was super hot. And for my first time shooting MX, it was super fun.

Here's a few shots that I was happy with.

624682032_gyQzg-M.jpg

624681686_fDpb8-M.jpg

The sky is completely blown out in these next two, but there wasn't a vantage point that I could get to (save for a media pass) to prevent it. O well, I still dig em, though.

624680891_Ghcgo-M.jpg

624680754_krCGu-M.jpg

C&C away!
  • Options
    BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I think the last two are great! Did you use flash? Sometimes ya gotta use what the track throws at you! These are still keepers to me! The others are good - but the last two stand out!
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Hey BCS
    Nice seeing you at walton ,checked out your pics real nice.
    Hopefully will be at portperry in a few weeks when steelcity riders are there.
    The Owner of the track Chris Lee flaging the last race on saturday.

625883170_JqW6u-L-1.jpg

The 2 Julies
    621845901_VzYP9-L-1.jpg

HoleShot
    621847266_pDrRp-L-1.jpg
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    tom_o wrote:
    I was at Unadilla too! You're right, it was super hot. And for my first time shooting MX, it was super fun.

Here's a few shots that I was happy with.

The sky is completely blown out in these next two, but there wasn't a vantage point that I could get to (save for a media pass) to prevent it. O well, I still dig em, though.

624680891_Ghcgo-M.jpg

C&C away!

great shots. loved the #9 Honda with the old school silver and Elsinore tank emblem up on the radiator cowling.

whatever happened to gas tanks??
  • Options
    tom_otom_o Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    I think the last two are great! Did you use flash? Sometimes ya gotta use what the track throws at you! These are still keepers to me! The others are good - but the last two stand out!

Thanks! :D

Yeah, I used flash for most of em. D40, 55-200 VR and an SB-400. I just wish the sky wasn't so overcast/blown out!

Here's a few more, same jump. What these guys can do in the air just boggles my mind.

626151675_SZdvK-M.jpg

626152040_QdpXF-M.jpg
  • Options
    bondbond Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 23, 2009
    Thanks for your feedback!
    After some days with too much work there was finally some time to enter this forum again. This pictures was the first with my new lens and I am slowly getting the grip of how it works no. I have found it really hard getting the images in focus and after some investigation on the internet I was thinking that there was a problem with back-focus. I found this exelent site: http://focustestchart.com/chart.html and downloaded the chard and made som test photos and Yes, there was a problem with back-focus. After further investigation on the internet i found a program that opened up the AF-tune mode on my Pentax K10D and now the focus is setted correctly. I havent hade time yet to test this out on the motocross track but I will post some of the best images from the last race (with back-focus problem).

I have a problem with shooting photos of mx-riders when they are in the air with the blue sky as background, every image is too dark, I have tried spot-meeting, center meeting and standard meeting but i dont get good results, How do you do this ? Are you using center-meeting and adjust the exposure compensation?

Thanks again for your critics and it is very helpful.

/Martin from Sweden.clap.gif

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
    Gringriff wrote:
    Hey Bond. Hard to believe this was your first post. These are some very nice shots.

#1 is really nice, it would have been nearly perfect if the helmet wasn't at the very top with no room left.

#2 Nice capture but I agree with Erbeman that the guy really harms an otherwise nice photo

#3 is the least interesting unless it is someone you know

#4 is my favorite - I'd be very happy with this one!

Keep shooting and posting. I love seeing these MX pics and I'm sure you will continue to improve.

Andy
  • Options
    BlinkerfluidBlinkerfluid Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Here are a few shots I took at the Budds Creek Nationals this past Saturday.. These haven't had any post processing yet, not even cropping.. so I know there's a lot of improvement to be had there.. I think I got some ok shots, and I'll post up more once I can do some editing to them.

For now, here are a couple that look ok as is I think ne_nau.gif

627640645_rW8Pz-L.jpg
    I'm actually not a big fan of the panning shots, but I know a lot of peole like the artistic affect of them.. I meant to take a few, but got distracted somehow and forgot.. this is the only one that I took, it's not too bad, but I'm not that happy with the focus.

627643833_KzXux-L.jpg

627646216_CDk2y-L.jpg

There are a few more uploaded HERE if you guys want to look at them, but they all at the very least need to be cropped.. I'll upload quite a few more eventually.

Comments and Critisim are welcome, I won't let you see me cry rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    Here are a few shots I took at the Budds Creek Nationals this past Saturday.. These haven't had any post processing yet, not even cropping.. so I know there's a lot of improvement to be had there.. I think I got some ok shots, and I'll post up more once I can do some editing to them.

For now, here are a couple that look ok as is I think ne_nau.gif

627640645_rW8Pz-L.jpg
    I'm actually not a big fan of the panning shots, but I know a lot of peole like the artistic affect of them.. I meant to take a few, but got distracted somehow and forgot.. this is the only one that I took, it's not too bad, but I'm not that happy with the focus.
    I love taking panning shots whenever I take motorsports, but I realized that the MX riders seldom bought them. I never understood why, but I eventually learned to stop trying to sell them. :D To me the high-shutter-speed stop-action look just really doesn't cut it.

Your shot there is hard to get! A slow-shutter pan on a jump. To me that image of yours JUST SCREAMS SPEED! And it does it in a manner that the typical fast-shutter jump just can't get. That's a great image! What part of the focus are you not happy with???

Why do MX people typically not like slow shutter shots?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    BlinkerfluidBlinkerfluid Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    I love taking panning shots whenever I take motorsports, but I realized that the MX riders seldom bought them. I never understood why, but I eventually learned to stop trying to sell them. :D To me the high-shutter-speed stop-action look just really doesn't cut it.

Your shot there is hard to get! A slow-shutter pan on a jump. To me that image of yours JUST SCREAMS SPEED! And it does it in a manner that the typical fast-shutter jump just can't get. That's a great image! What part of the focus are you not happy with???

Why do MX people typically not like slow shutter shots?

Well thank you for the compliment. I guess I'm just not thrilled that the entire bike isn't in focus.. really only the riders back/helmet and the bike seat are in focus.. The forks are blurred and so are his legs.. If only the background was blurred and the rider was in sharp focus, then I guess I might like it better.

I guess for me I like the shots that freeze everything, so you can study the emotion of the rider and view things in the photo that you can't see with your naked eye (i.e. roost that is frozen in air). Of course, what I like doesn't mean a whole lot as far as what makes a good picture since I'm pretty new to photography rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    Well thank you for the compliment. I guess I'm just not thrilled that the entire bike isn't in focus.. really only the riders back/helmet and the bike seat are in focus.. The forks are blurred and so are his legs.. If only the background was blurred and the rider was in sharp focus, then I guess I might like it better.
    You're asking for the impossible. All that stuff is not staying in constant relation to each other while the shutter is open. The forks are extending, front wheel is possibly turning, the entire bike is rotating around its center of gravity, etc.

To me, the sheer sense of speed and motion, the emotion of the shot, more than makes up for a lack of crispness. Look at the forest, not at individual trees.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    First MX shots. Hope to be shooting more soon.
    Nikon D700, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR

1. 12X24, 1/500, F5.0, ISO 160, 90mm
    649308774_ru8xo-L.jpg

2. 12X18, 1/500, F5.0, ISO 125, 70mm
    649304111_8TCue-L-1.jpg

3. 12X36, 1/500, F5.0, ISO 160, 78mm
    649304785_M9WJq-L-1.jpg

4. 12X36, 1/500, F5.0, ISO 125, 70mm
    649306921_R8FcS-L-1.jpg
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    so......
    Just got home after 3 weeks in the hospital.
    Great to be home and see the kids thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
    Talked with the insurance guy and he came over today to grab my broken up gear and gave me a check for some new equiptment :ivar (New mark 3 on its way soon thumb.gif )
    Before i handed the camera over I pulled out the CF card to see some of my pics from that day.
    The light was just getting good and I was able to get a few nice pics, but this is the last image I shot just moments before impact

649718670_FN3oD-L.jpg
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    so......
    Great to be home and see the kids thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
    Talked with the insurance guy and he came over today to grab my broken up gear and gave me a check for some new equiptment :ivar (New mark 3 on its way soon thumb.gif )
    Before i handed the camera over I pulled out the CF card to see some of my pics from that day.
    The light was just getting good and I was able to get a few nice pics, but this is the last image I shot just moments before impact

649718670_FN3oD-L.jpg

Man that's pretty sweet!!
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2009
    I guess for me I like the shots that freeze everything, so you can study the emotion of the rider and view things in the photo that you can't see with your naked eye (i.e. roost that is frozen in air).
    I guess that's why the rider's claimed my photography was too artistic. :D
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    so......

Good to hear you're out. When I saw Erbemans thread "MX Photographer Down" it sent chills down my spine. We all do MX photography for a variety of reasons but at the end of the day we're all doing MX photography and at this stage of my life I consider MX and the photography of it to be two pretty special things. The sound of the words that one of us was down and reading the brief details was a bad dream come true, though from your perspective I think maybe it was a tad worse. Glad to hear you're on the mend. I had a bit of a fundraiser and as soon as I finalize the sale of a dust gathering bike I never quite bonded with I'll be sending some of the proceeds your way, among other places.

Hang in there and I hope you get well soon. Keep at it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    As the season begins to wind down in the north east between being busy at work and being screwing off on other websites I haven't posted here much lately, so in a somewhat backwards order some recent shots of mine.

Shot Saturday and Sunday this weekend. On Saturday I stumbled on the Sharpness setting on my D300.

Was anyone going to TELL me about this? :D

I knew the D300 was capable of much more than I was getting and I'm pretty happy with the raising of the bar I experienced, evenif its only my bar.

Can't they just set them up for you when you buy them?? headscratch.gif:D

From Saturday. I'm tickled with it.

I had also found the Saturation slider and this one is a tad too high but I like the shot none the less. I dod tend to get attached to these riders and this bean pole of a kid who's somewhat deaf and doesn't have the flashiest gear rides this RM250 2 stroke to bring tears to your eyes. Saturday he beat (again) a rider who finished 17-19 in the 450 class at Unadilla National.

Give it up for Chuck Fox. clap.gif On the freaking gas and just nailing it.

655805948_qAHoS-X3.jpg
  • Options
    Also from Saturday, and another one I'm pretty happy with. Focus is off a tad but we can live with it.

654415755_Dzs6e-X2-1.jpg
  • Options
    One from Sunday. A 250 shutter and a little panning got this one. Of course having a rider who can get this length on this demanding downhill jump (more than it looks) helps.

Jay Weller, who qualified for the Unadilla National and Steel City also I believe.

655778780_6dKRc-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Same jump. Not the greatest shot but only his second race.

Nice kid, quiet, 16, not the fastest guy out there but like I always say, he's out there.

655745956_uwDX5-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Into the sun but when I saw this guys inside line and lauch entry into a pretty decent whoops section I had to have it.

654500883_8cVaW-X3.jpg
  • Options
    Chuck Fox clearing an uphill double jump on Sunday after riding 2 classes on Saturday. bowdown.gif

656934847_PUFUK-X2.jpg
  • Options
    GNCC rider Nate Kanney also rode Saturday and Sunday MX rearranges a berm on Sunday.

655698293_TjWBq-X2.jpg
  • Options
    The previous weekend I spent considerable time at the starting line where they have this cool convered gate. Got lots of cool people pics I'm pretty happy with and had to be on my toes with ISO and such as it was overcast, shaded, etc etc.

787 is James Weinert, son of former National Champion Jimmy Weinert seen to the right.

651902593_oJpRz-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Cool hand Luke..big splotch on the lens from getting to close on the starts.

651902316_tXyMA-XL.jpg
  • Options
    pre race jitters.

650974983_RPeeB-XL.jpg
  • Options
    washed out but I like the effect.

650952856_Q3B9P-XL-1.jpg
  • Options