Options

Shooting motocross 2009 style.

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited June 13, 2010 in Sports
We seem to have a fair amount of MX shooters here on DGrin so I'd like to start this thread as a sounding board for all things MX in regards to digital photography in 2009. As opposed to 2008 which is history..

I've got some questions about flash, autofocus, who's doing what, etc.

Shot yesterday for the first time this year in very nice weather at an open practice at the Walden Playboys in "upstate" New York. About 75 minutes north of the city if that counts as upstate. To people from Brooklyn it does but the real upstaters are the people in Syracuse if you ask me.

Anyway had a good time shooting yesterday. Feel free to post pics, debate or discuss whatever comes to mind in regards to shooting MX and I'll try to do the same. I'm a long time MX junkie and love shooting it and even attempting to ride it.

Heres looking at you from yesterday.

515233680_nehu9-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    from yesterday
    521703697_k6sxa-X3.jpg
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    I have only been to two events this year but am hoping to get back out this week to shoot some more.
    Here are a few of my favorites so far for 09

IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

MQ8A2066.jpg

Hangover%2009-000866_2.jpg

Hangover%2009-000898_2.jpg

Hangover%2009-000719_2.jpg

Hangover%2009-000950_2.jpg

Here are a few from a trail ride

IMG_5604.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_5644.jpg
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Well I guess SuperX don't count...

492651117_kg2w6-M.jpg

492648177_tsJXD-M.jpg

I like this one

492648349_gi6kR-M.jpg
    Or Supermoto..

419033891_AkQRe-M.jpg

419092623_sjWya-M.jpg

We don't get much rain here (CA), so there's little slop. As a former New Yorker I'm pretty glad about it
    Rags
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    522667557_93tSk-X3.jpg
    nw scout wrote:
    I have only been to two events this year but am hoping to get back out this week to shoot some more.
    Here are a few of my favorites so far for 09

IMG_3400.jpg

thanks for jumping in. I think I remember when you posted the "trail ride" shots and that you stated you were a professional.

I'm curious if you use autofocus or manual, and your views on either for shooting outdoor action. my 55-200 lens is ooc for now as it went to so many MX races last year I think the dust has taken its toll. I've been using a 300 zoom for 2 weeks and the autofocus doesn't work on my camera so I've been using manual focus. I'd started to use manual last year on jumps but am really amazed at how much I relied on it, as in the keep rate is way down. I think it helps (on jumps) and its been fun experimenting. this one here you posted almost seems off focus by design, or is that the treatment you gave these shots with photoshop?

thanks again. I've been riding since 1971 and shooting as long I guess, but only got my first DSLR in fall 2007 Nikon D40.

Here is one from yesterday with the 300 that I'm sure would have been crisper with autofocus, but still a keeper as the rider is a recent acquaintance who I've adopted as one of "my riders". nice kid.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    torags wrote:
    We don't get much rain here (CA),

mwink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyC7WnvLT4
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    521703697_k6sxa-X3.jpg

Why would you post that shot?
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    Why would you post that shot?

you tell me why you ask and I'll tell you why I posted it.
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    you tell me why you ask and I'll tell you why I posted it.

The list is long...

I'll start with the obvious.. the photo is severely out of focus.
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    j-bo wrote:
    The list is long...

Ouch!! Rough crowd! Haha, J-Bo, I leave to shoot the Vegas SX tomorrow! I am so freakin pumped. Yesterday, I asked for credentials to Freestone. It's going to be up to Tony Miller on how many photogs he'll let Holeshot have. I think there's a good chance that he'll take care of us. Now, we've just got to get you some credentials. Maybe you can work your magic like you did in Nola. That was funny as hell. It will sure be nice not to have to deal with the opening ceremonies ruining the first moto at freestone like it did in Nola. Hey, did you ever see my thread in the journeys section from my visit? I figured not because you didn't post to it. Anyway, here it is: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124670

Thanks so much for your advise on where to go on that Friday after the press conference. BTW, we freakin love Cafe De Monde and their Bignet's. We even bought a few pack to make at home. I made some one night and they were good but they didn't puff up like they do there. Nola is now one of our favorites cities. So many people told us about how bad it was, but we loved it and will definately be back.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    GarrettGarrett Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    I have only been to two events this year but am hoping to get back out this week

Here are a few from a trail ride
    nw scout, how do you pack your gear for trail rides? Backpack with lots of padding? Chest harness? I do a lot of singletrack riding here in Montana and never bring anything more than a P&S as I'm worried I'll smash my DSLR and more importantly the glass. The terrain is usually pretty rocky and get-offs are common. I'm no David Knight, but we go at a fast pace and push pretty hard. I've been out for some laid back solo rides with my gear, but I'd like to bring it out and try to catch some trail action with other riders. Any tips would be great.
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Garrett wrote:
    nw scout, how do you pack your gear for trail rides? Backpack with lots of padding? Chest harness? I do a lot of singletrack riding here in Montana and never bring anything more than a P&S as I'm worried I'll smash my DSLR and more importantly the glass. The terrain is usually pretty rocky and get-offs are common. I'm no David Knight, but we go at a fast pace and push pretty hard. I've been out for some laid back solo rides with my gear, but I'd like to bring it out and try to catch some trail action with other riders. Any tips would be great.

i myself do not ride but I may have a suggestion for you.

Just get a pelican case and strap it to your bike. Then if you have a bad crash and total your bike you could still unpack the camera and take pics of the carnage :)
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    amadeus wrote:

I'm curious if you use auto-focus or manual, and your views on either for shooting outdoor action. my 55-200 lens is ooc for now as it went to so many MX races last year I think the dust has taken its toll. I've been using a 300 zoom for 2 weeks and the autofocus doesn't work on my camera so I've been using manual focus. I'd started to use manual last year on jumps but am really amazed at how much I relied on it, as in the keep rate is way down. I think it helps (on jumps) and its been fun experimenting. this one here you posted almost seems off focus by design, or is that the treatment you gave these shots with photoshop?

thanks again. I've been riding since 1971 and shooting as long I guess, but only got my first DSLR in fall 2007 Nikon D40.

Depends on the shot.
    I shoot with the Canon Mark2's for MX action.
    Best camera for the sport IMO.

On a blind jump with good light I sometimes spot focus where I want to capture the rider, then start shooting before he gets there and shoot till after the passes through the focus point.
    At near 10 frames a second I usually get 2 to 3 sharp shots depending on the length of the lens and the F stop.

The auto focus works GREAT on these cameras and am always amazed how many auto focus shots I get sharp.
    The 300 2.8 is flat out the best auto focus lens on the planet clap.gif

The race pics here actually have almost no photo shop work done as far as the overall look.
    I do go in and dodge and burn, and clone out annoying stuff though.
    I had poor light and used a wide angle and portable strobe to have the conditions work in my favor.
    Spot focus was a must on these wide angle pics and auto was used on most of the mud shots.

On the back pack gear.

If I am just shooting trail pics and will be ridding a lot I just carry along my Canon G9.
    It takes great pics, shoots in raw and is easy to get to quickly.
    Samples
    Trail1_2.jpg

IMG_5329.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

Trail3.jpg

I only take along an SLR if I am by myself or with a group that dosent mind me stopping all the time to shoot pics of them ridding a set up shot on the trails.

Less is best I feel.
    My 5D with one zoom and a flash.
    I put the camera/lens in a small tight fitting lowpro bag then put that into my ridding back pack and go slowmwink.gif

Dave
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Toronto Supercross 2009
    Here is a few a took ,I was up on the second level first row.
    They shot off fireworks and the smoke never left cut the lighting alot.
    This was a nite i wish i had a 70-200 f2.8.

3395038757_f5d4a81ab8_o.jpg

2.3395166967_c68465e4a8_o.jpg
    These where taken during practice tried to move around and get different shots,First time shooting in Rogers Center.
    3395538215_5ef394a32c_o.jpg

3396350960_f39251b36d_o.jpg

3396074727_9c0a3705e2_o.jpg

My dream job would love to be one of these guys.bowdown.gif
    3396333561_97255a6a11_o.jpg
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    GarrettGarrett Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Thanks for the tips Dave. Great shots with that G9! I think I'll stick to the P&S for any aggressive riding.
  • Options
    claudiusmaxclaudiusmax Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Shots taken at a local track...any sugestions ?
    500328002_h8viA-L-3.jpg521448209_mWEs4-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Great shots. Lots of aciton. I can here the whine of the engines.

Second sunset shot is gorgeous!!! I am sunset freak and this one does it for me. Great clear shot of the rider, no distracting lights in the previous one, dof of good so that you have enough clarity of what you are looking out in the background without taking away from the rider.

Thanks for sharing.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    Depends on the shot.
    I shoot with the Canon Mark2's for MX action.
    Best camera for the sport IMO.

On a blind jump with good light I sometimes spot focus where I want to capture the rider, then start shooting before he gets there and shoot till after the passes through the focus point.

thats a great suggestion and a no brainer in hindsight. I've started spot focusing on the jumps, but I never thought to shoot multiple frames. Even my D40 is good for about 4 per second. spot focusing is tricky, I've thought about bringing some balloons on open track days with about 10 feet of line to anchor it and try getting some real dead on spots. might look a little odd though..

thanks for the idea, I'm stoked to try it.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    500328002_h8viA-L-3.jpg

in my opinion this is a classic ok but could have been better. the shadow tells your shooting against the sun. I keep trying to keep in mind to take what the track gives me in terms of light and locations. morning and late day low level sun has given me some stunning light and colors.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    I took this last Sunday. First race of the year for me aside from one open practice. I've been really bad on just using Sports Mode, and tried some aperture priority, and slowed ths shutter down to 200. I'm liking this one even though I missed part of the front wheel.

Having #282 as subject matter kind of helps too. Seriously fast rider.

It was also late day low angle sunlight providing super lighting which is why I was working that turn.

523706990_Rk4L7-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    even later day and lower level sun.

2009 fuel injected Honda 450.

523709989_YGjcN-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    j-bo wrote:
    The list is long...

so would you have deleted it? Its one of my favorite of the 900 I took Sunday.

521703697_k6sxa-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    this was taken with a 300 zoom on manual focus. my 55-200 is currently ooc from all the dust its ingested the last18 months and I never got the lens serviced and cleaned. so I've been using this 300mm lens with some decent shots, but I really miss the 200 with auto.

523707289_P6zdi-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    but I did get reacquainted with my 18-55 lens and plan on only bringing it this sunday and leaving the 300 home. I'd like to get more off the track pre race or post race people shots.

523708666_n8Ckk-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    even later day and lower level sun.

2009 fuel injected Honda 450.

523709989_YGjcN-X2.jpg

Background too busy.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    so would you have deleted it?

In a heartbeat.

521703697_k6sxa-X3.jpg

As I asked, why would you post such an OOF, under exposed, nasty background(power lines) shot.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    my 55-200 is currently ooc from all the dust its ingested the last18 months and I never got the lens serviced and cleaned.

First rule of shooting MX;

You need to protect, and service, your gear.

Protect it from dust, with rain gear. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    but I did get reacquainted with my 18-55 lens and plan on only bringing it this sunday and leaving the 300 home. I'd like to get more off the track pre race or post race people shots.

523708666_n8Ckk-X3.jpg

Great shot of a Pursang!!!!

Btw, not dogging you, just trying to help. mwink.gif
  • Options
    claudiusmaxclaudiusmax Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    amadeus wrote:
    in my opinion this is a classic ok but could have been better. the shadow tells your shooting against the sun. I keep trying to keep in mind to take what the track gives me in terms of light and locations. morning and late day low level sun has given me some stunning light and colors.

Thanx for your input. This shot was taken during a race and I did not have full access to the track. I do have another track that I can experiment some on.I'll keep ya posted.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    Great shot of a Pursang!!!!

Btw, not dogging you, just trying to help. mwink.gif

no offence taken, I'm glad for the dialogue, things tend to be pretty quiet here compared to some of Baldy's other bulletin board type websites. :D

but the pic of 282, maybe a little backround. I knew I was shooting against morning sun, but had just arrived and was still awaiting word that I had permission to wander the track at will, as this was a first time event for this current owner of this track. I didn't want to shoot that jump but had the big lens on, and I knew the experts had just begun the first lap of practice. I could see them and knew it was experts. I was totally blind to the approach to the jump, and when 282 cleared this it was like he was shot out of a cannon. the normally don't go this high during the race. He just uncorked it for fun. I know him casually, he's local and VERY fast. It was just basically a raise shoot and hope, so in light of all that, I'm quite pleased with it. I know the focus is off, but trust me it all happend so fast and he was MOVING. Kind of innaguarated the new season and this track owners new track and facility.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:
    Background too busy.

good point, I should have checked it. I was chatting with the owner of #15 as the day was over. Thats my black Saturn. Just making small talk as we were parked next to each other. He hadn't raced in 2 years, I didn't recognize him from last year.

Seems he broke 5 vertabrae at work and had to sit a few seasons out. eek7.gif

The light was just too good to not take the shot. I should have shifted a little and lost the porta can and pick up truck and car.