DSS #23 Unofficial Feedback Thread

Comments

• mpflies2mpflies2 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Drin wrote:
    Thanks to those who liked mine, I'm honored. Also appreciate the how-to, mpflies2!

Not a problem. Already blogged it like a week ago, so it was as simple as a link :D
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    Some folks had asked for setup info on my image, here's a wider shot of the setup used.

Thanks alot for that how-to. For some reason I had it in my mind that you were a photoshop master and you were able to add the sand via photoshop, never occurred to me that you could dump sand in a pipe. Alot easier that way I now see lol.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    Some folks had asked for setup info on my image, here's a wider shot of the setup used.
    516931366_RCw9F-L.jpg

I was too wondering how you did this headscratch.gif

Thanks for sharing. Very creative and interesting :) I should actually say: Fantastic! thumb.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Dan.
    mpflies2 wrote:
    Thanks alot for that how-to. For some reason I had it in my mind that you were a photoshop master and you were able to add the sand via photoshop, never occurred to me that you could dump sand in a pipe. Alot easier that way I now see lol.

It's nice to think that I fooled someone into thinking I was good at photoshop:D:D I try to think of the easiest way of achieving a goal and through a lot of error and some trial I've found that physically arranging / re-arranging is a lot easier for me than trying to make it look OK in photoshop.

photo-bug wrote:
    I was too wondering how you did this headscratch.gif

Thanks for sharing. Very creative and interesting :) I should actually say: Fantastic! thumb.gif

Thankyou so much for that, I really love your shot for this challenge, a most beautiful image thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb

Tim
  • DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Thanks for the how-to, Velvet. I imagined something similar when I was trying to figure out how you did it. I was honestly disappointed that your entry didn't make it to the finals. :cry Sweet photo in any case.
    Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Drin wrote:
    I was honestly disappointed that your entry didn't make it to the finals. :cry Sweet photo in any case.

Thank you for appreciating my image, it means a lot that so many have made such nice comments.

Just like everyone else who didnt make the final list I was a bit bummed out, but all the comments from you all have totally eased that.

I completely understand the fact that judging these challenges must be a really tough job (and one that I wouldn't like to have to do) and I also realise that judging is also a very subjective and personal task. I really think that the judges have chosen 17 top notch images for us all to pick from, and I was very happy to see the image that I hoped to vote for did get through and I was able to vote for it.

Tim
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Drin, yes it happens.... sometimes more or less... heck, zero of my favs made the cut and thats the way it goes... which is great, if everyone had my tastes then i would win every time...hahahaha

anyway, yes those judges are BLINDdeal.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=122160&highlight=blind

(especially the judges on deck for DSS #24):D
    Aaron Nelson
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    HOwed she do dat....
    I just have to tell my story...
    well, I started right away with parched and dried cracked dirt at the lake... it just didn't do it for me. Last Friday we had a 80% chance of rain, so I thought ok, maybe something will turn up. I left the house in the morning and was gone several hours, taking pictures while driving, looking for the "a-ha!" I knew was out there. I came home thinking well maybe there is something on there I didn't see. I opened my back door to look out and said ... huh! maybe? and started shooting.
    514597424_KLRRi-S.jpg
    The picture I came up with was simply where the screen was pressed against the window and rain drops were settling. The green is my overgrown backyard, (because who has time for that) and the brown on the right is a tree.
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Drin, yes it happens.... sometimes more or less... heck, zero of my favs made the cut and thats the way it goes... which is great, if everyone had my tastes then i would win every time...hahahaha

anyway, yes those judges are BLINDdeal.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=122160&highlight=blind

(especially the judges on deck for DSS #24):D

Which is why I'm breaking out the secret weapon for the next challenge: Smell-O-Vision! mwink.gif
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-o-vision

Can't lose with that for sure thumb.gif
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    I Like This Method Better - System Flawed
    thumb.gifI like this method better...It makes more professional sense to me.

Rather than post our top ten picks, I think we should post our own with a short synopsis on how we accomplished the shot and why, explain our vision, then everyone can not only learn more, but comment directly along with critiques. It just seems like picking a top ten here would tip a bias on voting and encourage "buddy voting"... plus, one might feel obligated to put in their top ten,, the people who chose theirs in their top ten, I feel this system is fundamentaly flawed...but that is just my two cents...

I like the way you posted here with an explanation of your shot and what you did as an artist,... this method is more efficient and would encourage more participation in my opinion, I think it makes more sense to let the "polls" speak for (themselves) in anonymity.. am I wrong?? Let me have it if I am,, I am listening... headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gifKat

P.S.

Thanks for sharing your technique here. I was very curious how you pulled this off.. I assumed the green was photoshop... and I thought that was a person on the reflection of the window behind the screen.. very artisitc..

Kat

dnie wrote:
    I just have to tell my story...
    well, I started right away with parched and dried cracked dirt at the lake... it just didn't do it for me. Last Friday we had a 80% chance of rain, so I thought ok, maybe something will turn up. I left the house in the morning and was gone several hours, taking pictures while driving, looking for the "a-ha!" I knew was out there. I came home thinking well maybe there is something on there I didn't see. I opened my back door to look out and said ... huh! maybe? and started shooting.
    514597424_KLRRi-S.jpg
    The picture I came up with was simply where the screen was pressed against the window and rain drops were settling. The green is my overgrown backyard, (because who has time for that) and the brown on the right is a tree.
    edited April 21, 2009

Rather than post our top ten picks, I think we should post our own with a short synopsis on how we accomplished the shot and why, explain our vision, then everyone can not only learn more, but comment directly along with critiques. It just seems like picking a top ten here would tip a bias on voting and encourage "buddy voting"... plus, one might feel obligated to put in their top ten,, the people who chose theirs in their top ten, I feel this system is fundamentaly flawed...but that is just my two cents...

I like the way you posted here with an explanation of your shot and what you did as an artist,... this method is more efficient and would encourage more participation in my opinion, I think it makes more sense to let the "polls" speak for (themselves) in anonymity.. am I wrong?? Let me have it if I am,, I am listening... headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gifKat

P.S.

Thanks for sharing your technique here. I was very curious how you pulled this off.. I assumed the green was photoshop... and I thought that was a person on the reflection of the window behind the screen.. very artisitc..

Kat

this might help you:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1092507&postcount=1
    Aaron Nelson
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009

The polling is the official side of the contest: it determines a winner and top five finalists eligible to compete in the next Mega-Challenge. Not wanting to limit the conversation to all things official, the forum started up these unofficial feedback threads because judges certainly don't possess the only opinions. There are lots of opinions here, and this is a fun, informal way to share them and continue learning. :D

These unofficial threads are for everything you're seeing right now: top tens, how-to's, general banter and comment and critique. It's another facet to the Challenges forum. You're welcome to participate however you see fit. thumb.gif
    edited April 21, 2009
    Or just ignore everything I said and follow Aaron's link. 11doh.gif (Aaron: Stop typing when I type and being so succinct about it already! :giggle)
    edited April 21, 2009
    ok..
    I looked at the link.. that clears it up for me.. I thought the top ten was a requirement... I tend to get lost in the forum with all of the different linkage..... I did manage to find the gallery to leave comments.. I am just more comfortable with that rather than positing a top ten.. I am happy to hear I don't have to do that. Thanks,,,

Kat
    edited April 21, 2009
    the best benefit i get from this thread is justification one way or the other, good or bad.
    it does not matter what the Blind Judges think. (thats an on-going joke you may come across) but, did anyone like my image or not? when i get great response then i know im working toward becoming better... when i get a big zippo notta one likie likie my entry i re-eval why and try not to do that again... and if i dont know why it was not liked at all i ask. which btw i have done and have been give wonderful advice.

now there is no stopping buddy voting or selecting.... if one does that then they can live with the fact of having no standards.....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 21, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Or just ignore everything I said and follow Aaron's link. 11doh.gif (Aaron: Stop typing when I type and being so succinct about it already! :giggle)

who me?:booze
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 21, 2009
    Well Spoken
    Well.. I have thick skin, and hopefully people are honest here.. I chose digital grin so that I can improve my work, and after looking the place over,it is my hope that the caliber of photographers here are forthcoming and brutal.. I mean that in a good way, but how else is a person supposed to learn if not by honesty right?

You make it sound just like that here.. so I look forward to all of the great input good or bad...

Thanks Guys..truly.. you are a big help to a newbie like me..thumb.gif

Kat
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    who me?:booze

Interesting, he gave up starting the thread and now he just causes trouble instead!rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 21, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Interesting, he gave up starting the thread and now he just causes trouble instead!rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif.... its all about timing... i knew i could not deliver everytime on time...but i know i can pop in anytime and cause trouble.....

btw, my first midlife crisis is nearing an end, so i can pop in more often now...:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    it does not matter what the Blind Judges think. (thats an on-going joke you may come across)

three_blind_mice_hb.gif

Having been a judge at one time, I resent that last comment!:D
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited April 21, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    three_blind_mice_hb.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited April 21, 2009
    the best benefit i get from this thread is justification one way or the other, good or bad.
    it does not matter what the Blind Judges think. (thats an on-going joke you may come across) but, did anyone like my image or not? when i get great response then i know im working toward becoming better... when i get a big zippo notta one likie likie my entry i re-eval why and try not to do that again... and if i dont know why it was not liked at all i ask. which btw i have done and have been give wonderful advice.

now there is no stopping buddy voting or selecting.... if one does that then they can live with the fact of having no standards.....
    yeah, right!
    I have yet to see one of yours that isn't good.... of course I haven't been here very long :D
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    This blind judge (for this round) has finally taken the time to make some comments in the gallery on the ones I selected and a few others that were very close to being selected.

Sorry to take so long getting to them. (I'm not feeling very good this week)

Btw - I have already had one PM asking for a personal critique. If I did not comment or my comment was too brief and you would like a more elaborate explanation of my thoughts you are all welcome to send me a PM.
    edited April 21, 2009
    sherstone i hope you get over the feeling bads very soon! sorry to hear about that...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 22, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    three_blind_mice_hb.gif

:ivar :ivar :ivar
    Aaron Nelson
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    three_blind_mice_hb.gif

Hedgehogs, blind jud- er I mean mice... we're a veritable menagerie today, aren't we?! rolleyes1.giflol
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    There are lots of opinions here, and this is a fun, informal way to share them and continue learning.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that I was the only one with an opinion. Oh my, I've been missinformed. My world will now come crashing down. I should call my mom.

blbl.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    darkdragon wrote:
    Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that I was the only one with an opinion. Oh my, I've been missinformed. My world will now come crashing down. I should call my mom.

blbl.gif

Post.
    Of.
    The.
    Year.

rolleyes1.giflol biggrinbounce2.gif
    edited April 22, 2009
    darkdragon wrote:
    Are you sure about that?

Oh, I'm positive, just as positive as I am about my opinion being the only one that matters. :lynnsite :D
    edited April 22, 2009
    Baaaaahahahahahahahahaahahahaa

the Mod Stick just got whipped out...deal.gif

:lurk
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 22, 2009
    the audience is growing

:lurk