edited June 2, 2004
    How about
    • Self nudes
    :eek1
    How about
    • Things in Savannah, GA.
    umph.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 2, 2004
    Andy - Since photography IS "writing with light", maybe we should have some contest subjects determined by lighting rather than subject eg; front lighting, flat lighting, harsh lighting, side lighting, back lighting, colored lighting, sillouhettes, etc. This takes the emphasis off the subject and onto the art of using light to create an image. Any value in trying something like this?

We all say that lighting is the most important thing, but most of us forget it when it come to peering through a viewfinder - myself included. That is why having the emphasis on lighting style rather than subject might be educational. That is what was trying to demonstrate with my lawn ornaments.

3492047-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SavannahManSavannahMan Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    :eek1

umph.gif
    C'mon there. My own mother doesn't take me seriously. lmao. The prisoners rioting didn't raise your eyebrow(s)?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 2, 2004
    C'mon there. My own mother doesn't take me seriously. lmao. The prisoners rioting didn't raise your eyebrow(s)?
    Laughing.gifLaughing.gifLaughing.gifLaughing.gif

I about laughed myself sick!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2004
    Savannah Man (don't remember the spelling exactly)
    I vote the subject be

Savannah Man

Loved his suggestions, I don't know about seeing him nude first thing in the morning, but would love to watch him in the water with his camera.

We could maybe even get him in jail for inciting a prison riot. I am sure there are many other things on his lists I would enjoy photographing Savannahman doing.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 2, 2004
    How about
    • Prisoners Rioting
    Somethin' you're not telling us???
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2004

I think the attempt at humor in my response may have been too subtle. friday.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2004
    Sorry Waxy, lol. My humor is often mistaken with bad results. Just makin' sure! The prison riot might be possible, we're gearing up for G8 here. We're the media center. Yay! Unfortunately I'm going to be in Atl for a class that week, so no protester pictures unfortunately. (sob)
    I would love to pose in the water ginger, but who would take the picture? I'm open for being the subject, but I only have two rooms at my place available. The rest of you have to stay downtown with the Secret service, National Guard, reporters, and angry activists!
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2004
    the Quality of Light
    pathfinder wrote:
    Andy - Since photography IS "writing with light", maybe we should have some contest subjects determined by lighting rather than subject eg; front lighting, flat lighting, harsh lighting, side lighting, back lighting, colored lighting, sillouhettes, etc. This takes the emphasis off the subject and onto the art of using light to create an image. Any value in trying something like this?

PathFinder,
    I think what you are suggesting is right along with what I was going to suggest as well...
    • the Quality of Light
    An assignment using the quality of light makes "Lighting" the focus of the subject, rather than the actual subject itself. It opens up a myriad of photographic opportunities.
    Photography literally means, "writing with light," and light is the basic component of any photograph, but it is very interesting when light becomes the subject itself.
    Pools of light make interesting photos on their own. Light dappled through the trees, hard lighting, soft lighting, spotlighting, rim or back lighting, silhouettes, front lighting, natural, artificial, or flash... the list goes on.
    Oy vey... I'm agreeing, but probably saying too much.
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2004
    I like Pathfinder's suggestions a lot. Gets to the fundamentals of good photography. Ginette, I see what you mean. I guess the Bright Light assignment covered an aspect of what you're talking about?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2004
    Sorry Waxy, lol. My humor is often mistaken with bad results. Just makin' sure! The prison riot might be possible, we're gearing up for G8 here. We're the media center. Yay! Unfortunately I'm going to be in Atl for a class that week, so no protester pictures unfortunately. (sob)
    I would love to pose in the water ginger, but who would take the picture? I'm open for being the subject, but I only have two rooms at my place available. The rest of you have to stay downtown with the Secret service, National Guard, reporters, and angry activists!

:feelgood Maybe I can buy you a beverage while you're here?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    :feelgood Maybe I can buy you a beverage while you're here?
    Only if by "beverage" you mean vodka martini! :slosh
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2004
    Quality of Light.
    wxwax wrote:
    I like Pathfinder's suggestions a lot. Gets to the fundamentals of good photography. Ginette, I see what you mean. I guess the Bright Light assignment covered an aspect of what you're talking about?
    Yes & no, Sid.

Bright Light was, at least for me, more about controlling the bright light so that there was still depth in the shadow, and the highlights were not blown away. OF course that wasn't what most of us really did, but I think that was the "real" focus of the assignment.
    The quality of light is using the light to actually create the photo. The light sets the mood, ambience-- the overall feel of the photo.
    The light is what gives a photo depth, or makes it look flat. Learning to mold that quality so that you get a beautiful photo rather than a drab one, is what I am talking about.
    For example...Most of us recognize that a sunset is beautiful, but if we turn our back on the sunset, and use the lighting from that sunset to light our subject... The "Golden moments." The photos and portraits taken at this time can be really beautiful. Of course that means we've studied the shot, composed and focused... and then, taken the photo.
    Here are two that sort of show the difference, same day, same child, only a couple of feet difference in the yard. The First one taken before sunset and the second one taken using warm cast of the winter sunset as the lighting source. Both unadjusted for you to see the difference. Not the best example, but two I had at quick reach.

4770031-M.jpg

4769966-M.jpg
    09 November 2003
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2004
    Street entertainers and musicians
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2004
    A subject suggestion
    With the talk of the size of pictures submitted from Smugmug, portraits desired as a Large, I thought that "portraits" would be a good topic for a challenge.

ginger
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2004
    • Patches
    • Intersections
    • Moods
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    In the dark ......
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I think the attempt at humor in my response may have been too subtle. friday.gif
    no.. it was'nt :D
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    I love the back light side light (lighting) idea of Pathfinders. :D
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    I second Gubbs...
    gubbs wrote:
    Street entertainers and musicians
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    Well put Ginette.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2004
    Infrared, please?
    I have other things that I want to know, but that infrared is driving me nuts, and I can't find it in other sources, not that i understand. Do I need a filter, or can I do it with photoshop?

Also cutting something out and putting in in another place or photo.

Either as assignments, or as Cletus things.

ginger
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2004
    Rare (finds, things, objects), anything rare. all of the techniques can then be applied for effects. This subject came me quite suddenly today. What do you think?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    the "no-photoshop" challenge
    just want you all to know that coming up soon, we *will* for sure have a "minimal-photoshop-usage" challenge. meaning, just the basics will be allowed.

your benevolent host is listening
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    Infrared
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have other things that I want to know, but that infrared is driving me nuts, and I can't find it in other sources, not that i understand. Do I need a filter, or can I do it with photoshop?
    I don't think infrared photography is possible with a visible-light digital camera. You'd need a CCD that was sensitive to a different spectrum of light, just like infrared film is. Can anyone correct me?

In the least, it can't be done with Photoshop, as the imager isn't going to record infrared light to begin with. If it ain't there in the image in the first place, PS can't retrieve it.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 17, 2004
    andy wrote:
    just want you all to know that coming up soon, we *will* for sure have a "minimal-photoshop-usage" challenge. meaning, just the basics will be allowed.

cool, thanks andy!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    infrared and faking it
    you can try with any camera. you need an ir filter, like a hoya r72 to start. if your camera isn't one that supports ir (like the sony f7x7 or f828) then you need to shoot in manual ir, which means long exposures (tripod) and trial and error.

also, here's a good thread on "pseudo-ir" via photoshop
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    Just the basics
    andy wrote:

May the best camera win, lol.

Nevermind, ginger

(big difference in pop between my canon elph and my 300 rebel, at least according to my just "off the street" relatives, smile.)

Hey, we could have a workshop on "basics", you know, "manual", on Shenanigans. There is a reason I am going to have to learn manual, it is coming up, but I can't remember why, just will do it. But to use it to the best it can be, well, there is a workshop there, I know there is.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    Not really IR, is it?
    andy wrote:
    you can try with any camera. you need an ir filter, like a hoya r72 to start. if your camera isn't one that supports ir (like the sony f7x7 or f828) then you need to shoot in manual ir, which means long exposures (tripod) and trial and error.p
    Hang on. Doesn't make sense to me. The R72 filters out non-IR light, basically. Hoya even says the filter should be used with IR film. The filter doesn't make non-IR film take IR images, because non-IR film isn't very sensitive to IR light. Ditto with our digital imagers.

So, while this might be tricking things a bit, it isn't really IR photography.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
This discussion has been closed.