post your suggestions for future assignment themes here

124»

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2004
    suggestion
    Color
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2004
    New Topic Ideas
    1. Quiet places
    2. In the Dark
    3. Night Shots
    4. Timed Exposures- Post of exposure times required
    5. Age
    6. Extremities Hands-Feet
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    Has probably already been suggested, but I saw someone looking for help with a selective focus/dof assignment which would be interesting, what do you think??
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Has probably already been suggested, but I saw someone looking for help with a selective focus/dof assignment which would be interesting, what do you think??

nod.gif That would be a good one, I think. This weekend I played with trying to shoot someone distant and in a crowd, trying to use DOF to make them stand out. I think I need more practice. naughty.gif I guess to make it work you'd at least need a camera with Aperture control.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    Again sorry if its already been suggested, How about something that involves portraits, maybe partners, friends or families?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2004
    Everything sounds good, or scary, to me. Depending upon my mood.

I was reading Sid's post, I think it was his, about wanting to think more about color. I would like that as a goal also, and a Challenge on it would certainly be an asset to my photography.

He says he concentrates on composition, I tell a "story". I enjoy doing essays using more than one photo for many subjects, so the "story" is what I look for.
    I have said to myself, Ginger, color is a powerful thing in color photography.
    Beautiful photographs with vivid, soft, or whatever, color have inspired me to go out and think color. I think color, photograph color (not very well, at least not as well as I would like, or as well as I do other things), then I see something, and I go for the "story" in the shot again, forgetting that color is what I am shooting.

I have concentrated on people in the past. I just did the Summer Storm and then Evening Colors (the rainbow), they were both color shots, and that was good, someone else might think I was photographing color, but I was really photographing an event, I could even make an essay out of the photographs I have of either evening.

I have a dream of someday going to a junkyard, no events, just squashed cars, and color. On the way I am sure I would find an event and use all my memory, I would really like a Challenge that focused completely on Color being the goal.

hehe, one reason I would like it to be a Challenge is that when I have shot just color, there is no one to show it to, I would like an audience as an incentive to focus on color as the goal, and then be able to show it.

ginger

I don't make trouble, trouble makes me
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    Some ideas? Some old, some new
    • Children interacting with their pets.
    • Facial Expressions.
    • Humor. ie shots that make us smile.
    • Night shots.
    • Age.
    • Textures.
    • Extremities, ie. hands, feet.
    • Point of Sale. ie, store fronts, counters, queues, signs, concepts...
    • Emotions, ie tears, crying, laughter, quietude, joy...
    • Long Exposure Shots.
    • Old & New together
    ginettene_nau.gif
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    ginette, some really good ones here!
    thanks for the suggestions mwink.gif

hands and feet?

check out the current stf challenge ;-)

i entered in the eligible gallery.

AltPro wrote:
    • Facial Expressions.
    • Night shots.
    • Age.
    • Textures.
    • Long Exposure Shots.
    • Old & New together
    ginettene_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    Kudos on the Shine
    andy wrote:
    thanks for the suggestions mwink.gif

hands and feet?

check out the current stf challenge ;-)

i entered in the eligible gallery.
    Andy, I enjoyed the Sony Hands & Feet Gallery... Really liked your image, "the Shine." Great movement.clap.gif

I have been pushing for a hands and feet challenge for a while... Eventually it will come to pass. The last few challenges have been broader based challenges... without the need of creeping things, or at least the creeping things were not the greater focus of the study.

Glad you liked some of the suggestions... Hope they will help.

FYI: I honestly appreciated the value of a non-photoshop challenge. While I really thrive on "darkroom and photoshop tricks and techniques," there is great value in being able to capture the image within the camera. Using the view finder to crop & compose, the meter and the eye to determine f-stop, and aperature.

I really have enjoyed the challenges, only wish that I had more time to participate of late.

bowdown.gif Thanks for all your effort, it's greaty appreciated! bowdown.gif
    ginette
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have a dream of someday going to a junkyard, no events, just squashed cars, and color.
    What a great idea, Ginger. I'll have to try that someday.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    Exhibition thread?
    What does everyone think about an "exhibition" thread for each challenge, where old pics that fit the challenge can be viewed to provide inspiration and allow us to showcase some of our old good shots ( that has to be the worst, longest runon sentence, oh well....)
    Thoughts??? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    What does everyone think about an "exhibition" thread for each challenge, where old pics that fit the challenge can be viewed to provide inspiration and allow us to showcase some of our old good shots ( that has to be the worst, longest runon sentence, oh well....)

I understood it :) and like the idea. Andy gives some good fodder for the challenge. Not read the whole thread but what about Shadows
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:

Interesting idea. Some folks already show old shots in the Comments/Critique threads.
    Sid.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    • Facial Expressions.
    • Night shots.
    • Age.
    • Textures.
    • Long Exposure Shots.
    • Old & New together
    ginettene_nau.gif

I love your ideas, particularly textures and emotion.

What about "negative space"? I enjoy finding that, does anyone else?
    Here's an example from last night:6996902-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2004
    Also...
    lynnesite wrote:
    I love your ideas, particularly textures and emotion.
    What about "negative space"? I enjoy finding that, does anyone else?
    Yes Lynnesite,
    • Negative Space could be interesting...
    Also like
    • Shadows as a concept...
    as well as
    • the Abstract Form
    ginette
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    Lynnesite, even the pictures not of your horse are beautiful :D

How about, for something different, Cryptic Song Titles
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    Lynnesite, even the pictures not of your horse are beautiful :D

How about, for something different, Cryptic Song Titles

Boy, imagine the critque thread length on THAT one, Stan! (thanks re the non-horse)

Ginette, all good ideas, you're full of them!

Lynne
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    Subliminal Messages
    I have another suggestion....

• Subliminal Messages.
    ginette
  • Options
    Joe_76Joe_76 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 30, 2004
    Album covers....?
    Hi there - my first post at Dgrin, I normally live over at STF (Dpreview.com). (Username is chelsea_joe over there). Anyhow, I was reading a post by Andy over at STF and he mentioned dgrin, so I thought I would check it out...! I like it.

Anyway, regarding possible photo challenge assigments, I thought Album covers would be a good idea. I'm not talking about a full scale repro of Sgt Peppers rolleyes1.gif but something that captures the essence of the album. Maybe too similar to the current challenge (song titles) to be done soon, but add it too the list!!

Looking forward to being here!!

Joe
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2004
    Joe_76 wrote:
    Hi there - my first post at Dgrin, I normally live over at STF (Dpreview.com). (Username is chelsea_joe over there). Anyhow, I was reading a post by Andy over at STF and he mentioned dgrin, so I thought I would check it out...! I like it.

Anyway, regarding possible photo challenge assigments, I thought Album covers would be a good idea. I'm not talking about a full scale repro of Sgt Peppers rolleyes1.gif but something that captures the essence of the album. Maybe too similar to the current challenge (song titles) to be done soon, but add it too the list!!

Looking forward to being here!!

Joe
    wave.gif Hey!! Hi Joe... nice of you to drop in.. we are a friendly bunch (unless you deprive some of these guys of beer) and we love new blood.

Look forward to seeing your stuff in the challenges.
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    Concepts for Challenges
    Ideas for future Challenges.

• Subliminal Messages
    • Emotions
    • Before & Afters
    • Shadows
    • Quiet times
    • Inside Images Only
    • Hands & Feet
    ginette
  • Options
    the fistthe fist Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2004
    1st post--
    To begin-- I must say that this website is exactly what I've been looking for...Baldy has done an excellent job with these discussion forums and was turned on to this site through my rather obsessive involvement on advrider.com-- It seems that this site is just as addicting and I thank eveyone for their contributions.

Moving on -- I would like to suggest a future assignment...

As an active camper and outdoorsman, I have tried to capture the magic and mystery of a campfire... My camera is rather lack lustre and often take lots of pictures using lots of settings until I find the right shot.... I'm sure there are ideal settings for low-light, campfire gatherings that I would very much like to explore. I have primarily shot candid photos of friends and family but would like to open this unique setting to objects and things besides people.

Any thoughts ?

Here's an example...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2004
    attention the fist
    done! the current challenge "after sundown" is perfect for a campfire shot! in fact, it could be a winner.

go for it :D
    the fist wrote:
    To begin-- I must say that this website is exactly what I've been looking for...Baldy has done an excellent job with these discussion forums and was turned on to this site through my rather obsessive involvement on advrider.com-- It seems that this site is just as addicting and I thank eveyone for their contributions.

Moving on -- I would like to suggest a future assignment...

As an active camper and outdoorsman, I have tried to capture the magic and mystery of a campfire... My camera is rather lack lustre and often take lots of pictures using lots of settings until I find the right shot.... I'm sure there are ideal settings for low-light, campfire gatherings that I would very much like to explore. I have primarily shot candid photos of friends and family but would like to open this unique setting to objects and things besides people.

Any thoughts ?

Here's an example...
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2004
    how about ... "more than meets the eye" .. thought you could get some interesting pictures here.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2004
    Some photo assignments that might hold appeal...
    Some photo assignments that might hold appeal...

• Cliche's
    • Emotions
    • Tight Spaces
    • Faces
    • Hands & Feet
    • Monochromes
    • Close-ups
    • Table Top Work... ie. Small set ups
    • Shadows
    • Textures
    • Repetitions... ie things that are repeated, over and over
    ginette
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2004

Homonyms
    Cliche's
    ginette
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2004
    What
    AltPro wrote:

Homonyms
    Cliche's

ginette

JWEAR wrote:
    IT'S NOT BAD ENOUGH we have to learn to type, all the dials and buttons on the camera now we have to buy a dictionary but if you get the challenge I have a shot.[qutoe/]clap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    Ok...Ok...
    Here's an example:

Homonyms
    The following words are some common English Homonyms, meaning they sound the same, but they have different meanings. These words actually cause misunderstanding when the wrong one is used. Some of these words have several independent meanings for the same spelling of the same sound making them even more confusing.

• here - hear
    • know - no
    • are - our
    • to - two - too
    • pain - pane
    • plane - plain
    • buy - by - bye
    • through - threw
    • week - weak
    • read - red
    • weight - wait
    Cliche':
    : a trite phrase or expression; also : the idea expressed by it
    2 : a hackneyed theme, characterization, or situation
    3 : something (as a menu item) that has become overly familiar or commonplace

• Many hands make light work.
    • Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
    • Any friend of yours is a friend of mine.
    • There's no place like home.
    • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2004
    AltPro wrote:

Homonyms
    ginette

C'mon, Altie, keep it together. This is a family web site.

naughty.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Ok...Ok...
    Here's an example:

Homonyms

The following words are some common English Homonyms, meaning they sound the same, but they have different meanings. These words actually cause misunderstanding when the wrong one is used. Some of these words have several independent meanings for the same spelling of the same sound making them even more confusing.

• here - hear
    • know - no
    • are - our
    • to - two - too
    • pain - pane
    • plane - plain
    • buy - by - bye
    • through - threw
    • week - weak
    • read - red
    • weight - wait
    Cliche':
    1 : a trite phrase or expression; also : the idea expressed by it
    2 : a hackneyed theme, characterization, or situation
    3 : something (as a menu item) that has become overly familiar or commonplace

• Many hands make light work.
    • Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
    • Any friend of yours is a friend of mine.
    • There's no place like home.
    • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

I KNOW, I WAS JOKING. TRUELY ONE OR THE OTHER BUT BOTH headscratch.gif MINE WOULD BEE BE THE RIGHT HAND WRITING DOES THAT FILL THE BILL IF IT COMES TO PASS TODAY MY SON AND I CAME UP WITH ANOTHER ! JWEAR
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
This discussion has been closed.