Options

post your suggestions for future assignment themes here

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    sure it is ;-)
    mercphoto wrote:
    Hang on. Doesn't make sense to me. The R72 filters out non-IR light, basically. Hoya even says the filter should be used with IR film. The filter doesn't make non-IR film take IR images, because non-IR film isn't very sensitive to IR light. Ditto with our digital imagers.

So, while this might be tricking things a bit, it isn't really IR photography.

take a look at daniella's ir stuff

right here
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    Thanks, Andy, and a question re depreview contests
    andy wrote:
    you can try with any camera. you need an ir filter, like a hoya r72 to start. if your camera isn't one that supports ir (like the sony f7x7 or f828) then you need to shoot in manual ir, which means long exposures (tripod) and trial and error.

also, here's a good thread on "pseudo-ir" via photoshop[/QUOT

Thanks, Andy. I just copied that "pseudo-ir" post. Also copied your Harbor shots. You sure get a lot of accolades there, but where you find the time?
    I have a question, you might want to answer me off the list, or on, I don't care. I have been a member of dpreview for months. I have a Canon Rebel, so that is usually where I have gone, before that the Canon elph, or just Canon. Will have to visit your stuff on Sony. But where are the contests?
    I have not seen them mentioned. Are they under a forum, or where? I would like to look at the winners,etc. ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    re Faking IR photography mag article
    I bought a magazine, from UK, actually that is where it originates, I bought it at Barnes and Noble outside of Charleston, SC. It has an article on "How to create infrared effects in photoshop 7". The actual article is called "Faking it".
    The magazine is called "Better Digital Photography". It was supposed to have a CD in it, but that was missing. Might not have worked here anyway? There were several subjects in the mag that I really wanted info on. The cover price is $7.95. Anyway, faking IR is in the magazines, thought I would let you know.
    ginger
  • Options
    WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    Holy Cow Batman!
    andy wrote:

right here
    Very nice images!! Thanks Andy for the link, you da man!!
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    Very nice images!! Thanks Andy for the link, you da man!!

Of course, he is da man!

Now, Danielle, she is the one who did the Joshua Tree. I have been loving her stuff on dpreview for a long time. I have not been there much, as I am on dog lists, hard of hearing lists, I play tennis and try to have some kind of a life, like time to take pictures. But when deciding on a camera and afterwards,and before, I haunted dpreview. Danielle, well she does beautiful work, and that Joshua Tree, well I just wish I had one, but it wouldn't look like hers does on my camera.

Thanks for the link to her site, Andy. I just had not picked up on it before.
    ginger (you still da man!)
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    Not really IR
    andy wrote:

right here
    I'm not saying the results aren't pretty, or don't have the appearance of an IR image. I'm saying its not true infrared photography. The images aren't really from the IR spectrum of light, they are just modified to APPEAR that way. I'm arguing from a purist standpoint here.

With visible-light film or CCD you cannot capture a true IR image, period. It won't register those wavelengths. Its physics.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    Ok Andy, Help me out here!
    What did I miss? Using Photoshop 6, followed directions on link. I think I goofed somewhere.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    yes, really... infrared ;-)
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm not saying the results aren't pretty, or don't have the appearance of an IR image. I'm saying its not true infrared photography. The images aren't really from the IR spectrum of light, they are just modified to APPEAR that way. I'm arguing from a purist standpoint here.

With visible-light film or CCD you cannot capture a true IR image, period. It won't register those wavelengths. Its physics.

taken with a factory issued sony f828, hoya r72 aboard and nd8 filter. this shot was taken at 345in the afternoon on bright sunny winter's day.
    2267949-M.jpg

taken with a factory issued sony f828, hoya r720 aboard, and nd8 filter. this shot was taken at noon on a bright sunny day in the caribbean. ir really makes the skin look creamy ;-)
    2575593-M.jpg

taken with an ir-modified (*) sony f828, maxmax 1000nm filter aboard. i love how infrared makes the clouds so dramatic and the water black as night.
    3381410-M.jpg

taken in midafternoon with ir-modified(*) sony f828, maxmax xdp filter aboard. i love how ir makes the foliage white ;-)
    4859339-M.jpg

taken with ir-modified (*) sony f828, maxmax xdp filter aboard. i also applied selective luminosity toning in post for this shot:
    4624392-M.jpg

(*) my review of this camera is here

so yeah, you can shoot ir with a ccd based camera thumb.gif . real and true ir.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    What did I miss? Using Photoshop 6, followed directions on link. I think I goofed somewhere.
    Ok, is it that bad? Do I have B.O.? Am I that bad that nobody wants to respond? Yikes...
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    Ok, is it that bad? Do I have B.O.? Am I that bad that nobody wants to respond? Yikes...

i've never tried the technique. i'll review your work later this evening, ok?
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    Wolf, this is ginger, I worked all afternoon on the fake infrared. I never got it just right. This is a picture of my daughter.

5241544-M.jpg

I picked it because it is one of the few photos I have with lots of trees, it was near DC while I was visiting her there.

Are you upset about the blue? Did you use the monochrome, click on the monochrome box everywhere there is one. Tell me what your technical problem is, and I can tell you what I did, that is all I can do. Andy has a special camera, or something we don't have. But he will come back and say something. I want to start this as a thread.

The Tutorial Andy told us about did not seem complete to me. I was also using the magazine I bought, a book, not the book much though, and I was guessing and improvising. This is the first picture I did. It was as good as any.

5241540-M.jpg

I actually took that this afternoon. It was already starting to rain, I just could not get any action from the dogs at all. So I used this to experiment.
    I would like to know how Andy got the selective color in his photos.

ginger
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    Another infared from instructions
    Southern Winter Road

5242663-M.jpg

I think it worked best, but I am concerned because the "greys" are kind of strange. I used curves, that brightened the parts I wanted brighter, but it did strange things to the greys, I think. ginger
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    Thanks for sharing the shots Ginger. I have a couple of other ones also, gonna post in a bit. They came out similar to the ones you posted as well. I must have messed up something in curves on the first post. But, I want to be able to get the same type of feel to the shots that Daniella's examples have. Or at least close, ya know!! Thanks again. Back in a few with those other shots.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Southern Winter Road

I think it worked best, but I am concerned because the "greys" are kind of strange. I used curves, that brightened the parts I wanted brighter, but it did strange things to the greys, I think. ginger

good on you, ginger and wolf, for trying! however, i think, the best thing to do if you reeaaaaaly want to take great infrared is to buy a used sony f7x7 off of ebay, and get an ir filter, and a couple nd filters... and have at it ;-) nothing beats the real thing!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    Wolf wrote:

I followed his directions, didn't get much of an IR effect, so I fiddled with different settings in Channel Mixer, got this (I left the steps in color.)

5251586-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    IR Tips
    Andy:
    I used to do IR work with my medium and Large Format cameras, but until seeing your work, had really kind of thought that IR work wasn't done with Digital... Again, I have been proven wrong. I know nothing about the Sony f7x7 that you mentioned... In fact really know nil about Sony digitals, period. Would love some of your insight.

Here is my first attempt at using the Photoshop tip that you offered. Only had time to spend about 15 minutes this first time, but I can see that it might be better used with practice.

Any comments or improvement tips would be much appreciated. Am always striving to make headway...

ginette

5252273-L.jpg
    Used the early sunrise image as in the quality of light thread
    5243597-L.jpg
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    Another try!
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    And another. I'll be honest, I didn't do the final desaturation on this one.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    One more...
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    I tweaked this one a bit. Hmmm.... I think I might like it?
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    Yeah, I think so. nod.gif It's really nice, Wolf, the reflection works.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, I think so. nod.gif It's really nice, Wolf, the reflection works.
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    IR and stuff
    Wolf wrote:
    I tweaked this one a bit. Hmmm.... I think I might like it?

I like it, I like all of yours, better than mine anyway. Not like Danielle's. But then again, my photography is not as stunning as Danielle's. She did the Joshua Tree. Just went out and threw a filter on for the heck of it and came back with the Joshua Tree. Put her way far away from me. So I am not going to go "after" Danielle, so to speak. Don't know how much work that would take, and I am doing enough now.

I think you are getting better on the fake, IR, and I like the steps that someone left in color, too. I am sorry if this has been here awhile, and I have not answered. I kind of put the IR stuff away for the moment.
    ginger
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

I like it, I like all of yours, better than mine anyway. Not like Danielle's. But then again, my photography is not as stunning as Danielle's. She did the Joshua Tree. Just went out and threw a filter on for the heck of it and came back with the Joshua Tree. Put her way far away from me. So I am not going to go "after" Danielle, so to speak. Don't know how much work that would take, and I am doing enough now.

I think you are getting better on the fake, IR, and I like the steps that someone left in color, too. I am sorry if this has been here awhile, and I have not answered. I kind of put the IR stuff away for the moment.
    ginger
    Thanks a lot Ginger! I appreciate your comments and your time.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    Suggestions for future assignments
    Found this little book, Sierra Club's Photography and the Art of Seeing, has some subject headings that would make good assignments, imo. There are some headings on "light", but since I suspect we will be doing that next, I am not going to write them down. One thing I like about these suggestions is that they are not so broad as to encompass just about everything. Narrows the subjects down a bit. g

Colour and emotion
    colour and time
    colour as a thing in itself
    colour and composition
    dynamic simplicity
    frames and windows
    To amputate, or not, and how best...
    appropriate colour
    Symbolism as related to colours, etc.
    Reflections
    hues used as symbols (ex. seasons of the year, etc.)
    Using lens flare as a plus
    Distortion, as in bldgs used as a plus (not corrected in ps)
    Side lighting
    Perspective

THE PERFECT PHOTOGRAPH, hehehehehe
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    Wow, tough stuff Ginger. Excellent suggestions, but they skeer me! Color and time? Yikes! Lessee, light for day and dark for night... yup, that's about the limit of my range.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2004
    Themes for challenge: seasons, turn, turn, turn ....
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow, tough stuff Ginger. Excellent suggestions, but they skeer me! Color and time? Yikes! Lessee, light for day and dark for night... yup, that's about the limit of my range.
    "Time" scared me, too, until the author used autumn leaves as an example, smile.

He is Freeman Patterson, I would like a couple of his books, this one is not supposed to be one of his better ones, but good for "inspirations" and suggestions. He has one coming out, and another one I would like. Pretty cheap.

ginger
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    The "love of our life". This can be a very broad and fun topic for everyone. Doesn't have to be just people. Could be our Significant other, child, parents, friends, car, camera, special place, etc. But creating a photo that can make others feel how important that love is to you. Photo's with emotion are always the best.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2004
    Read the "Assignment" near the bottom of this webpage. Sounds like fun AND a significant composition experiment for all.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited June 29, 2004
    Read the "Assignment" near the bottom of this webpage. Sounds like fun AND a significant composition experiment for all.
    You're right, it sounds like a lot of fun. I sorta, kinda did that one day when I got my current camera, and was freed from the bondage of a tripod. Reading things like your link make me want to take a photography course.
    Sid.
This discussion has been closed.