Options

Heads Up: New Default Uploader

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Yes I have

Luc
    OK Check the other gallery. And only upload to one gallery at a time. Sam's gonna see if he can prevent this type of thing happening.
  • Options
    Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    OK Check the other gallery. And only upload to one gallery at a time. Sam's gonna see if he can prevent this type of thing happening.

OK I'm currently only uploading to my Army Base Leopoldsburg gallery. No other uploads.

Luc
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    Hi JaeSen,

Ouch, we feel your pain, but the reason we removed the thumbnails was to settle a patent dispute. It may seem hard to imagine, but there are currently 3 patent lawsuits against us at the moment and last month if I do the math correctly, our legal bills for defending ourselves against patent complaints was higher than what we spent on engineering.

The good news is on both Windows and Macs they still allow you to view the files as thumbnails despite the lawsuits against them and then you can just drag them onto our uploader. To do that, just have our uploader open in one window and whatever you use to view your pictures on your computer open in a second window. Then just hold down the shift key while you select many files to drag:

I hope this helps and sorry for the hassle.

Chris

Cool!

Thanks.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    This is fantastic.
    I am uploading to 5 different galleries as I edit more files to be uploaded later. The interface is very well done and the duplicate checking option is great. I am sure it will save me a great deal of time someday when I have a lost connection.

Just my opinion but I think it is faster, The 5 galleries are zipping right along. I could be wrong but I don't think so thumb.gif
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    f300f300 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 4, 2009
    Actually I had to register with dgrin only to post my praise for the new uploader :-) This is beyond any joke...
    The thing is I've been having quite a bit of trouble with the old uploader; first of all the status/progress bar for upload in Firefox (/XP) was some kind of "always on top" very annoying window (maybe there was a workaround but I was too lazy to research and I put up with the progress bar over anything I was reading for however long I was uploading something). Then for long video files it would happen that sometimes it would do "checking file" (or something similar) at the end of the upload and then throw some error and restart the transfer. However the file was fine on the server as far as I can tell and if I left it unatended for a longer time it would do multiple copies (all good as I could tell) and still not finish!
    The new one is also much faster I would say; the old one was going with way under 500 kbps, more like 300 kbps (I can upload with a bit over 1Mbps if I do a sftp/ftp/rsync to some other box on internet) - the new uploader gets constantly over 700 kbps after the first minute or so.
    I still got one error I can't account for while uploading a large file (video) but at least it went through with the other files (and I can upload that one manually).
    For my work flow the loss of thumbnails isn't a problem at all, I always dropped files in the "java window" from some other application that has thumbnails (like Picassa, iView, etc).
    I still don't get the "skip duplicates" feature; the default is "allow" however when I drop some files that were already present it checks them and says [View duplicate]Skipping! right away (even if I leave the default "Allow"). Is it actually remembering the "skip" option I chose the last time or what's the story?
  • Options
    nickhaighnickhaigh Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Simple Uploader not working
    I haven't uploaded anything for a while, now it seems the uploader has
    been revamped!
    It took 45 mins to upload 8 photos, then when done I went to the page to view the new uploads and only 1 had actually uploaded!!

whats gone wrong?? I liked the old uploader, simpler & faster.

it's uploading 1 image at a time @ 424kb/s

EDIT:
    Just tried to upload 2 more images and nothing, didn't upload to my page!!
    any ideas??
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    nickhaigh wrote:

EDIT:
    Just tried to upload 2 more images and nothing, didn't upload to my page!!
    any ideas??

The older Drag & Drop works so i'll just be using that!
    thanks anyway!!
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    nickhaigh wrote:
    I liked the old uploader, simpler & faster.
    Our new one is more robust and faster.
    Are you on Mac or PC? Typically an update of Java should help, can you do that?
    Follow these steps to make sure your java is up to date for a PC:

1) Go to http://www.java.com

2) Click on "Do I have Java?" and wait for the test to run.

3) Follow the steps to get the latest version of Java if you need it.

If you have a Mac, it is even easier, just click on the Apple Menu and run the "Software Update" to get the latest version of Java.

Please let us know if you continue to have problems.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Our new one is more robust and faster.
    Are you on Mac or PC? Typically an update of Java should help, can you do that?
    Follow these steps to make sure your java is up to date for a PC:

1) Go to http://www.java.com

2) Click on "Do I have Java?" and wait for the test to run.

3) Follow the steps to get the latest version of Java if you need it.

If you have a Mac, it is even easier, just click on the Apple Menu and run the "Software Update" to get the latest version of Java.

Please let us know if you continue to have problems.

I'm running a PC with Windows XP
    I checked & do have the latest version of Java.
    Also my Browser is FireFox
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    nickhaigh wrote:
    I'm running a PC with Windows XP
    I checked & do have the latest version of Java.
    Also my Browser is FireFox
    Close your browser, restart it, AddPhotos again - choose the Simple. This time, select "Run" on our applet. See photo: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=135799
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    I'm reading through this thread, and I'm a bit confused at the consternation about adding files/folders. It says really clearly that you can drag files or folders onto it. Like Baldy said, use your OS to browse and drag them in. TBH, I would never even think of doing it any other way than dragging. It's just so much easier. Maybe having been raised on a Mac I'm just more used to dragging things? I can't imagine ever having a problem with that. You can drag from the Finder (or whatever it's called in Windows), Lightroom, Bridge, iPhoto, Picasa, whatever.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Close your browser, restart it, AddPhotos again - choose the Simple. This time, select "Run" on our applet. See photo: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=135799

I did this, but I clicked on the 'Run' applet last time too!

It still uploaded 1 image at a time & said 40mins to upload 6 images @ 360kb/s

when 1 uploaded I stopped it to check & nothing...still did not upload the image!

it's far easier on Drag & Drop so i'm just going to do it that way! thanks
  • Options
    CraigKCraigK Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    My uploads error out after retrying a couple of times.

I am using the lastest version of Java, XP and Opera browser.

I know Smugmug doesn't support Opera, but this is the first problem I've run into here.

Incompatabilies with Opera and websites almost always eventually are worked out so I will use Olde Faithful uploader reluctantly until that happens.
    troublebound.smugmug.com
    "Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em!"
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    CraigK wrote:
    My uploads error out after retrying a couple of times.

I am using the lastest version of Java, XP and Opera browser.

I know Smugmug doesn't support Opera, but this is the first problem I've run into here.

Incompatabilies with Opera and websites almost always eventually are worked out so I will use Olde Faithful uploader reluctantly until that happens.
    Old Faithful? Yuck.
    Isn't it easier to use Firefox and the good uploader?
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    Hi JaeSen,

The good news is on both Windows and Macs they still allow you to view the files as thumbnails despite the lawsuits against them and then you can just drag them onto our uploader. To do that, just have our uploader open in one window and whatever you use to view your pictures on your computer open in a second window. Then just hold down the shift key while you select many files to drag:

20090703-c61hwj7tmrtxm2i4ei496sfd7f.jpg

I hope this helps and sorry for the hassle.

Chris

That sucks about the thumbnail lawsuits, and thanks for reminding everyone about that drag and drop trick; it's basically always the way that I do uploads - very easy.

And the new uploader interface is still working great for me, thanks guys! thumb.gif

DavidTO wrote:
    I'm reading through this thread, and I'm a bit confused at the consternation about adding files/folders. It says really clearly that you can drag files or folders onto it. Like Baldy said, use your OS to browse and drag them in. TBH, I would never even think of doing it any other way than dragging. It's just so much easier. Maybe having been raised on a Mac I'm just more used to dragging things? I can't imagine ever having a problem with that. You can drag from the Finder (or whatever it's called in Windows), Lightroom, Bridge, iPhoto, Picasa, whatever.

I totally agree 100%, I'm wondering "why would anyone not just drag and drop and let windows or mac show them the thumbnails? headscratch.gif
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    CraigKCraigK Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Old Faithful? Yuck.
    Isn't it easier to use Firefox and the good uploader?

Don't want to get into a browser war, but I've tried Firefox and still prefer Opera which I've been using since 2000 (before it was free) :D

I did try the new uploader in IE and it looked good. Firefox is no longer installed so if it comes to it I will (reluctantly) use IE as a backup.

FYI, when I try to upload something using Opera it jumps right to the "verifying" stage and doesn't even appear to start uploading.

Thanks,
    Craig
    troublebound.smugmug.com
    "Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em!"
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    So far working flawless for me. Using Google chrome as my browser as well.
  • Options
    InMediasResInMediasRes Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    hiccups
    Do we have to keep the upload window in focus? Sometimes I re-arrange my tabs in Safari 4 (OS 10.4.11) and when I did that the photos didn't upload. At some point I grabbed the tab the uploader was on and merged it to a different window and got the area surrounding the uploader onto it, but the uploader itself (the area that says "Adding stuff to . . . .") stayed back in the old window.

It was odd, but it does seem faster when it works.
  • Options
    StevenSzaboStevenSzabo Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    I uploaded over 500 files on friday using this uploader on firefox and vista, no problems what so ever. and was seeing a solid 1.9 mb/s when even on a speed test I cap out at around 2.0 m/s upload speed(25 mb/s down muahaha)

maybe I'm a lucky one?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    After spending some time with this new uploader, it has a few pluses, but more minuses for me.

Plus--it can skip duplicates, as long as it is by filename. Less work figuring out a bad upload batch. thumb.gif

Minus--it seems to only work on one of my setups so far. It simply crashes IE6.0 on my Wyse xpe thin client. I have yet to try it on a version of FF on the same machine. It no longer will automatically saturate three different upload streams like the old uploader would due to the lack of multi-threading. It does seem to play nice side-by-side with itself when a completely new instance of the browser is initiated.

I complete understand the neccessity of having to make this uploader change, and this is a really good start for a first version. thumb.gif

But I'm really liking the idea of moving to some sort of FTP to SM bridge. This way, you run a bridge client locally on your system, and connect to it via any available ftp client. The bridge client passes all the information back to the ftp client like an ftp server would and all errors and other issues are translated to standard ftp stuff. The client will then let you know there was an error, it's retrying a file, etc.

Sudden change in workflow is a problem. When you have something down pat as a building block for your business and then it suddenly changes, you're having to put out fires. I think a lot of us are scrambling right now.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    SamirD wrote:

Minus--it seems to only work on one of my setups so far. It simply crashes IE6.0 on my Wyse xpe thin client

I don't expect that a Wyse XPE Thin client is supported. Try an OS / Browser combination that's not almost 8 years old? Thanks :D
  • Options
    countrifiedphotographycountrifiedphotography Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2009
    I have tried to load 125 pictures. Only 74 loaded. All the rest came as errors and read "read timed out".

I have downloaded java, reconnected to the internet, tried to load the same pictures a couple of times and the same thing. I ended up using the old internet explorer loader and it worked but the pictures didn't show up on my gallery for 10-15 minutes.

I have a PC, vista, internet explorer

am I doing something wrong?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2009
    I have tried to load 125 pictures. Only 74 loaded. All the rest came as errors and read "read timed out".

I have downloaded java, reconnected to the internet, tried to load the same pictures a couple of times and the same thing. I ended up using the old internet explorer loader and it worked but the pictures didn't show up on my gallery for 10-15 minutes.

I have a PC, vista, internet explorer

am I doing something wrong?
    Nope, it just sounds like you had a connectivity issue. If it persists, write us. http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I don't expect that a Wyse XPE Thin client is supported. Try an OS / Browser combination that's not almost 8 years old? Thanks :D
    This is a current shipping product:
    http://www.wyse.com/products/hardware/thinclients/V90LE/index.asp

Oddly enough, the system that does work is a Neoware (now HP) e90 thin client. This one is actually out of production. ne_nau.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    KimVKimV Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    I wrote to help over 2 1/2 hours ago & no reply, so am trying here :(
    Hi, I am trying to upload to a new gallery (but have tried old ones too, same result) & always use the simple uploader, but when I click on add photos, it goes to the upload box, but it has a cross in it the top left corner (the sort of cross that shows when you can't view an image on the net) & instead of showing upload at the top right, it says "Done" also, the title of the box "adding stuff to" looks different, writing is bigger or something..... http://upload.smugmug.com/photos/add.mg?AlbumID=8808044&applet=9 here is the link to the upload page...I have had a look at other uploaders, but this suits me best at the moment... I have also waited an hour to see if it fixed itself & have rebooted the computer, but no luck...
    When I came to Dgrin see if anyone else was experiencing problems uploading, it was the first I had heard of the new uploader...
    thanks, Kim
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    This is a current shipping product:
    http://www.wyse.com/products/hardware/thinclients/V90LE/index.asp

Oddly enough, the system that does work is a Neoware (now HP) e90 thin client. This one is actually out of production. ne_nau.gif
    "Runs familiar Windows XP graphical user interface with Wyse firmware enhancements "

That's the part we don't really test on, Sorry Samir!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    KimV wrote:
    Hi, I am trying to upload to a new gallery (but have tried old ones too, same result) & always use the simple uploader, but when I click on add photos, it goes to the upload box, but it has a cross in it the top left corner (the sort of cross that shows when you can't view an image on the net) & instead of showing upload at the top right, it says "Done" also, the title of the box "adding stuff to" looks different, writing is bigger or something..... http://upload.smugmug.com/photos/add.mg?AlbumID=8808044&applet=9 here is the link to the upload page...I have had a look at other uploaders, but this suits me best at the moment... I have also waited an hour to see if it fixed itself & have rebooted the computer, but no luck...
    When I came to Dgrin see if anyone else was experiencing problems uploading, it was the first I had heard of the new uploader...
    thanks, Kim
    Hi Kim,

Check my reply via Email. Re-installing the latest java version should help. Go to www.java.com and click on 'free java download'. Follow the instructions to download and install java.

I hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    KimV wrote:
    I wrote 2.5 hrs ago..

Hi Kim, I wanted to mention that you wrote at 230am (ish) Eastern Time ... that's precisely in the middle of the 4-hour block of time that our help desk is closed, I'm so sorry! Just wanted to let you know the delay.
  • Options
    jinspinjinspin Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Uploader is cropping the pictures
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Kim, I wanted to mention that you wrote at 230am (ish) Eastern Time ... that's precisely in the middle of the 4-hour block of time that our help desk is closed, I'm so sorry! Just wanted to let you know the delay.

When I uploaded 2 pictures- it cropped it automatically - it cut off the sides. I don't want it to do that. What is the problem?
    here is link to one of the pictures

http://www.sweetdreamsstudio.com/gallery/6376952_KaBHc#583684891_NDLVt
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    jinspin wrote:
    When I uploaded 2 pictures- it cropped it automatically - it cut off the sides. I don't want it to do that. What is the problem?
    here is link to one of the pictures

http://www.sweetdreamsstudio.com/gallery/6376952_KaBHc#583684891_NDLVt
    looks okay to me, can you view again? http://www.sweetdreamsstudio.com/gallery/6376952_KaBHc#583684891_NDLVt