Options

Heads Up: New Default Uploader

13»

Comments

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    "Runs familiar Windows XP graphical user interface with Wyse firmware enhancements "

That's the part we don't really test on, Sorry Samir!
    Understandable. There are some quirks to these machines, but when they work, they always work--no worries about viruses, registry garbage, or anything else. clap.gif They're like a toaster, and that's the only reason I try to use them for critical tasks like photo uploads and servers.

Apparently the Wyse brand thin client doesn't like any SM uploader on any browser anymore. :cry I even tried the same FF setup that works on the neoware with no luck. I can't even get older legacy uploaders like drag and drop to work. And this is the only xp system that's at this location with the three cable modems. :cry I really didn't need this hassle right now...

I'm going to try Komodo Drop. Hopefully this will work before I have to leave for a meeting.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Komodo drop just crashed too. I give up. The *** with uploading all this.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I just want to say I appreciate the new duplicates handling feature, especially the ability to replace images. I think I whined about that a while back, so I owe it to Smugmug to say "Thanks!" thumb.gif

Easy replacement will save me a lot of time! (I often find that I want to improve my raw processing of an image after I've uploaded it)

It does seem faster, though I haven't really timed it.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    ne_nau.gifIt does not seem to work for me and yes I downloaded the latest java. I've tried it in Firefox and IE to no avail. When I hit upload the picture disappears so I click done and check the photos but they are not there. I've had to revert to the old faithful. What am I not doing?
  • Options
    laslolaslo Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I like it so far.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    ne_nau.gifIt does not seem to work for me and yes I downloaded the latest java. I've tried it in Firefox and IE to no avail. When I hit upload the picture disappears so I click done and check the photos but they are not there. I've had to revert to the old faithful. What am I not doing?
    Check your versions of Firefox and IE. I've found that IE 6.0 simply crashes with this new uploader. And although not officially supported, I have successfully used this uploader on FF portable v1.0.7 (portableapps.com). Try downgrading your FF version or starting out with a clean install.
  • Options
    InMediasResInMediasRes Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Odd behavior, failure to upload
    Hi guys, this is a follow up to my question a few days ago.

I use tabs extensively in Safari 4, OS X (10.4.11) moving and rearranging them throughout the day. When I do that and the new uploader is no longer the focus, it stops loading.

To prevent that, I tried grabbing the tab the uploader was on and putting it as its own window, but this happened:

588930688_o3yQu-L.jpg

The uploader "part" stayed behind, while the window around it moved to the new window. Notice that when I move the mouse over where the uploader itself stayed, it shows the page behind it through. Once I did that it stopped uploading.

588930713_qnpo7-L.jpg

The previous uploader popped a little progress window and as long as we didn't close it and the uploader window it let me move tabs and open new windows without any problems.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Hi guys, this is a follow up to my question a few days ago.

Gonna show Shizam, he'll reply in the next day or so. Thanks.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Check your versions of Firefox and IE. I've found that IE 6.0 simply crashes with this new uploader.
    We support it on IE6/Win XP SP 2, holler to me at the help desk if we can help in your specific situation.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    I have noticed some behavior that I've seen with some of the third party uploaders, but never a SM one. This occurs when uploading videos. It seems the uploader reads the entire file before starting the transfer. While this has been not very noticeable on locally attached storage, it seems to be a real bottleneck when uploading files stored on my fileserver. Reading 2.9GB of files before uploading them takes time. This was also one of the major problems I had in my initial testing of Komododrop. (I'm having to step back to my old upload style of multiple upload sessions on multiple computers to maximize my upload bandwidth. I need 6-9 simultaneous upload sessions before all the cable modems stay saturated.)

Also, has anyone had issues with adding files from across a network? I'm finding that it goes insanely slow on certain types of batches. I can't figure out the pattern as to the exact type of batches, but my example is 430 files, mixed photos and videos, and after over an hour, only about 300 are queued and it's still working on it. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    I have noticed some behavior that I've seen with some of the third party uploaders, but never a SM one. This occurs when uploading videos. It seems the uploader reads the entire file before starting the transfer. While this has been not very noticeable on locally attached storage, it seems to be a real bottleneck when uploading files stored on my fileserver. Reading 2.9GB of files before uploading them takes time. This was also one of the major problems I had in my initial testing of Komododrop. (I'm having to step back to my old upload style of multiple upload sessions on multiple computers to maximize my upload bandwidth. I need 6-9 simultaneous upload sessions before all the cable modems stay saturated.)

Also, has anyone had issues with adding files from across a network? I'm finding that it goes insanely slow on certain types of batches. I can't figure out the pattern as to the exact type of batches, but my example is 430 files, mixed photos and videos, and after over an hour, only about 300 are queued and it's still working on it. ne_nau.gif
    I've actually run into this on my local setup as well. headscratch.gif Has the code changed? Queuing is now taking me hours, moreless the transfer itself.

This new workflow isn't working for me. I'm already a day behind and I haven't even started working on the galleries themselves. :cry :cry :cry