Options

Journal and Slideshow extreme makeovers

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    papajay wrote:
    Point taken. After a few unintended wrong turns, though, I concluded the benefits of Devbobo's hack out-weighed the drawback Allen discovered (just my personal opinion/preference). As I said originally, I've been using the hack consistently for two years and would hate like heck to loose that functionality.

Bottom line for me...I'd prefer to live with the drawback and hope for a better long term solution to easily navigate using arrow keys (or whatever). Having to "mouse around" to hit that dratted, tiny, little ">" to view the "next page" is not user-friendly in my opinion (and doubly frustrating when its position on the display varies depending on the number of pages in the gallery so I can't just position the mouse once and leave it there.)

I don't want it to be a hack at all. At most I'd see it be something you turn on and off with EZC or a gallery setting.

Good points about UI though! thumb.gif

Malte
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    papajay wrote:
    Point taken. After a few unintended wrong turns, though, I concluded the benefits of Devbobo's hack out-weighed the drawback Allen discovered (just my personal opinion/preference). As I said originally, I've been using the hack consistently for two years and would hate like heck to loose that functionality.

Bottom line for me...I'd prefer to live with the drawback and hope for a better long term solution to easily navigate using arrow keys (or whatever). Having to "mouse around" to hit that dratted, tiny, little ">" to view the "next page" is not user-friendly in my opinion (and doubly frustrating when its position on the display varies depending on the number of pages in the gallery so I can't just position the mouse once and leave it there.)

Actually, now that I think about it, SmugMug *DID* implement something like this hack for the SmugMug style. Shift-Left/Right-Arrow already moves you to the prev/next page of thumbnails. They should just add this for Journal view. (Hey, at least they made Journal view use large photos now. You must like that. I just *really* wish they'd add Big Picture/Pictory keyboard shortcuts for jumping to prev/next photos within the page.)
  • Options
    skpingskping Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    Can anyone tell me how I can change the COLOR of the text bar under the photo in the new Journal style from gray to black? Much of my text is in white, because I use a black background exclusively, and the white text doesn't show up on the gray bar.

And...

Is it possible to ADD the Old Journal style to the style menu, or would that automatically eliminate 'thumb browse', 'all thumbs', etc. I'd like those options WITH the Old Journal, which was my own personal favorite.

Any advice is appreciated!

Lee

www.leejacobs.org
    Beyond the Guardrails

http://www.leejacobs.org
  • Options
    ronmcgowanronmcgowan Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 15, 2010
    Widen Old-Journal format
    On my "services" page, I would like to widen the gallery (using old journal) so that the caption next to each image does not bunch up as much for lack of horizontal room. Here is the link for that page.

www.ronmcgowan.com/gallery/11234420_Tdz6U

Any tips?

Thanks
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    darryl wrote:
    Actually, now that I think about it, SmugMug *DID* implement something like this hack for the SmugMug style. Shift-Left/Right-Arrow already moves you to the prev/next page of thumbnails. They should just add this for Journal view. (Hey, at least they made Journal view use large photos now. You must like that. I just *really* wish they'd add Big Picture/Pictory keyboard shortcuts for jumping to prev/next photos within the page.)

Well, I'll be darned...right you are! What brought this to my attention a day or two ago was a web site I was on (Ancesty.com) where advancing to the next data point was accomplished by actually striking the ">" key itself. It made me chuckle since the > sign is used on nearly all display screens (SmugMug's included) to indicate advancing to the "next" picture or record or page...but, ironically, striking the > key itself doesn't actually do anything on most sites.

Hitting the actaul > key (or the right arrow navigation key) on the keyboard to advance is much-preferred, IMHO, over having to mess with the fairly precise mouse-control required to consistently nail the little > icon to advance.

Whatever method is chosen (and I really like the Shift-arrow solution to advance a page at a time), it should be consistent across the entire site.
    Other than by employing a Devbobo hack, I believe it's still the case that one cannot advance to the next page in a Journal gallery on SmugMug without employing a direct "mouse attack".
  • Options
    flgatorgalflgatorgal Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    Slideshows hanging or stopping
    Hi!

Been doing alot of updating on my side - adding new slideshows, tweaking them, etc. Thought I was good-to-go but then noticed that each one (ie: home, and those via my Portfolio link) all randomly stop from time to time. (I'm using IE8)

Any ideas on how I can fix this? I have used the "collect photo" option from password protected galleries some when gathering photos for each slideshow. Would that be the culprit?

Thanks a bunch for any help!! :D
    Blessings,
    Keri

www.kjanssenphoto.com
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    flgatorgal wrote:
    Hi!

Been doing alot of updating on my side - adding new slideshows, tweaking them, etc. Thought I was good-to-go but then noticed that each one (ie: home, and those via my Portfolio link) all randomly stop from time to time. (I'm using IE8)

Any ideas on how I can fix this? I have used the "collect photo" option from password protected galleries some when gathering photos for each slideshow. Would that be the culprit?

Thanks a bunch for any help!! :D
    It's looking like the 'AlbumKey' for the slide show code needs to be changed. You have the 'default' one entered from the Wiki page.

Here is the correct ID's & Key's to use for the 5 slide shows:

Homepage:
    AlbumID: '5605139',
    AlbumKey: 'T9okv',

Weddings:
    AlbumID: '11317289',
    AlbumKey: 'eFPfV',

Portraits:
    AlbumID: '11317450',
    AlbumKey: 'nAk4W',

Seniors:
    AlbumID: '11317901',
    AlbumKey: 'b5f6A',

Urban:
    AlbumID: '11318191',
    AlbumKey: 'nPE5K',

See if this helps..
  • Options
    flgatorgalflgatorgal Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    richW wrote:
    It's looking like the 'AlbumKey' for the slide show code needs to be changed. You have the 'default' one entered from the Wiki page.

Here is the correct ID's & Key's to use for the 5 slide shows:

Homepage:
    AlbumID: '5605139',
    AlbumKey: 'T9okv',

Weddings:
    AlbumID: '11317289',
    AlbumKey: 'eFPfV',

Portraits:
    AlbumID: '11317450',
    AlbumKey: 'nAk4W',

Seniors:
    AlbumID: '11317901',
    AlbumKey: 'b5f6A',

Urban:
    AlbumID: '11318191',
    AlbumKey: 'nPE5K',

See if this helps..

Thanks so much for the help!! I copied and pasted the code in. As far as I can tell, my Wedding and Portrait slideshows still randomly stop. Crazy things! lol Did I not do something right?

So I can learn, why change the Album Keys? What are their purpose?

Thanks for your time. It's greatly appreciated. iloveyou.gif
    Blessings,
    Keri

www.kjanssenphoto.com
  • Options
    chrysalizzchrysalizz Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    Slideshow not working--too old?
    Hello,

I have not messed with my code, but found that sometime in the last little while (don't know exactly when) my slideshow stopped working (it appears to be running now...but the white border does not continue around all edges. Also, some images only load a pixelated portion). I've read through pages and pages on here and see there are new shows out there that stretch etc.

Are my settings/code out of date? Can someone have a look please? I am not sure if I want to redo the entire show and adopt the stretchy look for my main slideshow, but am I still in the dark ages with my site?

Thanks.

Here's my customization site with the slideshow code in the Bio Box: http://chrysalizz.smugmug.com/homepage/cobrand.mg

And here's my page on which the slideshow runs: http://chrysalizz.smugmug.com/

sam
    Chrysalizz Photography -- Samantha Chrysanthou
    http://chrysalizz.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    chrysalizz wrote:
    Hello,

I have not messed with my code, but found that sometime in the last little while (don't know exactly when) my slideshow stopped working (it appears to be running now...but the white border does not continue around all edges. Also, some images only load a pixelated portion). I've read through pages and pages on here and see there are new shows out there that stretch etc.

Are my settings/code out of date? Can someone have a look please? I am not sure if I want to redo the entire show and adopt the stretchy look for my main slideshow, but am I still in the dark ages with my site?

Thanks.

Here's my customization site with the slideshow code in the Bio Box: http://chrysalizz.smugmug.com/homepage/cobrand.mg

And here's my page on which the slideshow runs: http://chrysalizz.smugmug.com/

sam
    This in your show script is probably causing it. Not sure why you'd want this. I'd remove it.

forceSize: 'OriginalURL',
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    Sorry!
    Sorry, Allen. I copied the link to my post so that I could paste it into my web browser and check for updates--but obviously that link only goes to my post, and not replies. A true newbie.

I looked through my CSS on Advanced Customization and couldn't find the 'force size' line you mentioned. I also tried going into the Gallery settings and changing the file from 'Original' to 'Large' but have the same problems with the border and the occasional pixelated images. This slideshow worked in the past, so not sure why it suddenly is not working.

Can you be more specific in where you found the 'force size' script?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    chrysalizz wrote:
    Sorry, Allen. I copied the link to my post so that I could paste it into my web browser and check for updates--but obviously that link only goes to my post, and not replies. A true newbie.

I looked through my CSS on Advanced Customization and couldn't find the 'force size' line you mentioned. I also tried going into the Gallery settings and changing the file from 'Original' to 'Large' but have the same problems with the border and the occasional pixelated images. This slideshow worked in the past, so not sure why it suddenly is not working.

It's part of the slideshow script in your biobox. Try removing the red.
        showThumbs: 'false',
        showButtons: 'false',
        [COLOR=red]forceSize: 'OriginalURL',[/COLOR]
        crossFadeSpeed: '250'
    };

SM.flash.insertSlid....

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    chrysalizz wrote:

To check for responses to threads you posted in, click on the Quick Link item in the upper right and then click Subscribed Threads. That will show you any recent action in any of the threads that you've posted in. I bookmark the subscribed threads link and that's how I check for new stuff related to me in dgrin.

When you post, you can also request email notification when someone responds. It's in a box right under where you type your post.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    RealShakaZuluRealShakaZulu Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    Slideshow too small...
    I have tried unsuccessfully to stretch my slideshow on numerous occasions and have decided to seek your wisdom. My portfolio @ http://kandidz.smugmug.com/gallery/10503830_xcoEx is both too small and the thumbnail bar that obscures the show when you hover over it does not seem to do so on others pages.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

David 'Art'
    Learn as if you live forever, Live asLearn as if you will live forever, Live as if you die tomorrow ::Ghandi
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    Thanks! That seems to be working.
    Allen wrote:
    It's part of the slideshow script in your biobox. Try removing the red.
        showThumbs: 'false',
        showButtons: 'false',
        [COLOR=red]forceSize: 'OriginalURL',[/COLOR]
        crossFadeSpeed: '250'
    };

SM.flash.insertSlid....

• Options
    munkimunki Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 9, 2010
    Hi,

I've got one gallery where I'd like the photos to be displayed HUGE, I read earlier in the thread that the longest side is 1600 px, I have a "project" where one of the images uploaded is 500 x 4300 px.

If its not possible for the gallery to stretch the whole image down, is it possible to have the image default to original size when viewed big?

I don't want this site wide, just in the one gallery.

The gallery is here http://stephaniezagalak.com/Humor/Strips/Diary-of-a-naughty-Teddy/
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2010
    munki wrote:
    Hi,

I've got one gallery where I'd like the photos to be displayed HUGE, I read earlier in the thread that the longest side is 1600 px, I have a "project" where one of the images uploaded is 500 x 4300 px.

If its not possible for the gallery to stretch the whole image down, is it possible to have the image default to original size when viewed big?

I don't want this site wide, just in the one gallery.

The gallery is here http://stephaniezagalak.com/Humor/Strips/Diary-of-a-naughty-Teddy/
    Try setting the gallery style to Journal in gallery settings. That gives you the largest images by default. It will pick the largest image size that fits on screen (depends upon viewer's window size).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2010
    Slideshow?
    Earlier today my galleries were not showing images for a slide show. The slide show thumbs were all smuggy and the screen was blank of images - not on my own signed in computer, but, on someone elses....I actually went in and changed the viewing capability and gallery style to Smugmug from Smugmug Small and I can't tell if the slideshow is working now or not.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    Try setting the gallery style to Journal in gallery settings. That gives you the largest images by default. It will pick the largest image size that fits on screen (depends upon viewer's window size).

Hi,

The gallery style is set to journal...

-Steph
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2010
    munki wrote:
    Hi,

The gallery style is set to journal...

-Steph
    I didn't realize that you had a single image that was 4300 px high. That will not display well in ANY Smugmug gallery style. If you really want to display that at original size, then you need to do your own customi HTML gallery with your own HTML that displays it in it's original size.

Personally, I'd ask you why you are doing it this way. This giant image is only a series of images and captions. If you made each one of the images inside this giant image its own image, uploaded each one to a Smugmug gallery, added the appropriate captions, Smugmug's journal style would do a great job of displaying this and it would even adapt to the viewer's screen size to avoid unnecessary scrolling (horizontal or vertical) which is something your own custom HTML gallery will not do and no Smugmug gallery style will do with this one giant image.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    I didn't realize that you had a single image that was 4300 px high. That will not display well in ANY Smugmug gallery style. If you really want to display that at original size, then you need to do your own customi HTML gallery with your own HTML that displays it in it's original size.

Personally, I'd ask you why you are doing it this way. This giant image is only a series of images and captions. If you made each one of the images inside this giant image its own image, uploaded each one to a Smugmug gallery, added the appropriate captions, Smugmug's journal style would do a great job of displaying this and it would even adapt to the viewer's screen size to avoid unnecessary scrolling (horizontal or vertical) which is something your own custom HTML gallery will not do and no Smugmug gallery style will do with this one giant image.

I have done it this way because it was not originally intended to be shared via smugmug, that decision was made at a later date, and I wanted to share it without changing the style, but now it looks like I will need to do so.
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Can someone help me figure out why my photos aren't that large in Journal style? I've used the Journal style before on other galleries, but for some reason, the photos aren't very large in this one.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Felicia wrote: »
    Can someone help me figure out why my photos aren't that large in Journal style?
    Which gallery? Is your gallery setting for 'largest size' set correctly ne_nau.gif?
  • Options
    Stargazer PhotographyStargazer Photography Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2012
    Slide show on homepage
    Hey I have a slideshow on my homepage but I would like it to be smoother and more full frame similar to the one on the moon river photography homepage. How do I achieve that I have tried everything that I can think of.

www.stargazerphotoproductions.com
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2012
    Hey I have a slideshow on my homepage but I would like it to be smoother and more full frame similar to the one on the moon river photography homepage. How do I achieve that I have tried everything that I can think of.

www.stargazerphotoproductions.com
    You'll have to be more specific about what you're looking to change. When I look at your homepage now, I see the Faseline Media full screen slideshow working in the background and running very fast (the speed is configurable). Moonriver is using the JFriend HTML5 slideshow in a fixed size (much smaller than what you already have).
    --John
    HomepagePopular