Options

Journal and Slideshow extreme makeovers

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    It's not the slideshow, but rather the rendering of our custom sized images. We did post here in the forums, a while ago, in this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1160074#post1160074
    Also, the observation in this post points to a slideshow bug along with the custom size issue. The slideshow should NEVER hang just because it doesn't get an image it wants. Robust code checks the data it receives and does something intelligent if it isn't getting what it expected (like skip that slide in this case).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    When is it going to get fixed? There have been problems with custom size rendering for awhile now.
    I hope, fast.
  • Options
    MasterCowMasterCow Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    :confused:cry Change it back please. The portraits look absolutely puny, like thumbnails.

Malte
    It only looks puny by comparison... doesn't really make sense to adjust the algorithm for portrait sizing without adjusting the landscape algorithm eek7.gif

huget.jpg
    MasterCow

The cow that pays you!
  • Options
    metatatemetatate Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Slideshow or journal home-page?
    I'd like to have a stretchy slideshow homepage metatate.smugmug.com … being "new" here, I haven't figured this out yet. I found the post regarding a standard (600 pix?) slideshow replacing the Bio, and implemented that - but I'd like eventually have my "main" page (soon to be my personal URL) be a slideshow that was scalable.

Also: I'm not a big fan of the giant arrows on the side of the slideshow. Do I need html skills to remove those?

Thanks and pardon my ignorance. :help
    my signature is an image.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2009
    metatate wrote:
    I'd like to have a stretchy slideshow homepage metatate.smugmug.com … being "new" here, I haven't figured this out yet. I found the post regarding a standard (600 pix?) slideshow replacing the Bio, and implemented that - but I'd like eventually have my "main" page (soon to be my personal URL) be a slideshow that was scalable.

Also: I'm not a big fan of the giant arrows on the side of the slideshow. Do I need html skills to remove those?

Thanks and pardon my ignorance. :help
    Hi, welcome wave.gif the homepage slideshow doesn't stretch now.. maybe one day! We don't have a way to hide the arrows in the gallery slideshow style, I'm sorry....
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Also, the observation in this post points to a slideshow bug along with the custom size issue. The slideshow should NEVER hang just because it doesn't get an image it wants. Robust code checks the data it receives and does something intelligent if it isn't getting what it expected (like skip that slide in this case).

The failure to return the correct custom sized image is not a slideshow bug, its an infrastructure bug and its being worked on. Also the post you reference was misleading, sorry, the problem is if you're watching a 600x600 slideshow and you come to a buggy custom size request such that it takes too long to generate the image and then actually returns a 10MB original sized file the SS will appear to hang because its waiting for that image to return. That also isn't a slideshow bug, thats proper expected behavior for robust code.
    deal.gif
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2009
    Shizam wrote:
    The failure to return the correct custom sized image is not a slideshow bug, its an infrastructure bug and its being worked on. Also the post you reference was misleading, sorry, the problem is if you're watching a 600x600 slideshow and you come to a buggy custom size request such that it takes too long to generate the image and then actually returns a 10MB original sized file the SS will appear to hang because its waiting for that image to return. That also isn't a slideshow bug, thats proper expected behavior for robust code.
    deal.gif
    If the slideshow does proceed after the 10MB download, then I stand corrected on this issue. I was commenting on what a Smugmug support hero said (that the slideshow hangs), not something I experienced personally.

As I'm sure you know there have been a lot of slideshow problems lately and it's really frustrating. We can't tell whether the problems are in the slideshow flash code or somewhere in the SM infrastructure, but the end result is the same - the slideshow doesn't work reliably now and there have been problems for some time now (at least a week) without any official communication about what is going on, what work-arounds are available (if any) and when to expect a fix.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2009
    Ok ...
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, welcome wave.gif the homepage slideshow doesn't stretch now.. maybe one day! We don't have a way to hide the arrows in the gallery slideshow style, I'm sorry....

OK, so when people have their web-site as a stretchy smugmug slideshow, they are simply pointing the site to a gallery that they have set up that way I suppose? Easy enough …
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    If the slideshow does proceed after the 10MB download, then I stand corrected on this issue. I was commenting on what a Smugmug support hero said (that the slideshow hangs), not something I experienced personally.

As I'm sure you know there have been a lot of slideshow problems lately and it's really frustrating. We can't tell whether the problems are in the slideshow flash code or somewhere in the SM infrastructure, but the end result is the same - the slideshow doesn't work reliably now and there have been problems for some time now (at least a week) without any official communication about what is going on, what work-arounds are available (if any) and when to expect a fix.

Yea, totally understandable, I was clarifying.
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    evanmcevanmc Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2009
    Help, bio slideshow doesn't appear now.
    I haven't changed a thing in my bio slideshow, and it does not appear now. Is this related to this change?

Also, the client gallery slideshow is less than pleasing on a large monitor. The photos are shifted to the right side of the screen, and don't even fully display.

Did I need to update anything in response to this change?

Thanks,
    -Evan-

www.theglasslens.com

<html>
    <div id="bioText">portrait and special occasion photography by evan mcginnis, san jose, ca</div>
    ********>
    var ssConfig = {
    AlbumID: '8046113',
    newWindow: 'false',
    transparent: 'true',
    splash: 'http://theglasslens.smugmug.com/photos/527475500_WHwJQ-M.png',
    showLogo: 'false',
    clickToImage: 'false',
    showThumbs: 'false',
    showButtons: 'true',
    crossFadeSpeed: '350',
    showSpeed:'true'
    };
    SM.flash.insertSlideshow(600, 400, ssConfig, 'transparent');
    </********
    </html>
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    evanmc wrote:
    I haven't changed a thing in my bio slideshow, and it does not appear now. Is this related to this change?

Also, the client gallery slideshow is less than pleasing on a large monitor. The photos are shifted to the right side of the screen, and don't even fully display.

Did I need to update anything in response to this change?

Thanks,
    -Evan-

www.theglasslens.com

<html>
    <div id="bioText">portrait and special occasion photography by evan mcginnis, san jose, ca</div>
    ********>
    var ssConfig = {
    AlbumID: '8046113',
    newWindow: 'false',
    transparent: 'true',
    splash: 'http://theglasslens.smugmug.com/photos/527475500_WHwJQ-M.png',
    showLogo: 'false',
    clickToImage: 'false',
    showThumbs: 'false',
    showButtons: 'true',
    crossFadeSpeed: '350',
    showSpeed:'true'
    };
    SM.flash.insertSlideshow(600, 400, ssConfig, 'transparent');
    </********
    </html>
    Your bio is not part of your homepage at all. Go to the homepage layout button on the homepage and re-enable your bio.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Your bio is not part of your homepage at all. Go to the homepage layout button on the homepage and re-enable your bio.

Thanks, although I'm a bit confused on how that possibly could have happened. I've changed nothing for months on my home page, but that's working after your suggestion.

Any ideas about the client galleries? On my HP2159 widescreen monitor they look absolutely awful in Firefox (photos have a sort of squished aspect ratio and aren't centered, and simply don't show in IE.

This is under Vista 64.

-Evam-
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    evanmc wrote:
    Thanks, although I'm a bit confused on how that possibly could have happened. I've changed nothing for months on my home page, but that's working after your suggestion.

Any ideas about the client galleries? On my HP2159 widescreen monitor they look absolutely awful in Firefox (photos have a sort of squished aspect ratio and aren't centered, and simply don't show in IE.

This is under Vista 64.

-Evam-
    I don't follow what issue you're talking about in your client galleries. Can you describe it more fully and give me direct link to a page with the problem so I can see it myself. I can't help if I can't see it or find it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I don't follow what issue you're talking about in your client galleries. Can you describe it more fully and give me direct link to a page with the problem so I can see it myself. I can't help if I can't see it or find it.

ALL of my galleries show this behavior:
    http://www.theglasslens.com/gallery/8738454_hw95S#577951542_cakoe

None of the previously showed this problem.

Under firefox:
    - The photos are not centered, but pushed to the right, as if the left hand edge is being treated as the center.
    - The "press esc to exit full screen mode" is not centered.
    - The photos are pushed down and the bottom 1/3 of the picture, perhaps is clipped.
    - It is as of the slideshow is computing the screen size incorrectly.
    - This is seen from both my laptop main screen as well as my 21" external monitor

Under IE 7:
    - Start slideshow pops up a new full screen browser with a blank screen. No slideshow, or anything.

Also, my bio slideshow is periodically stopping on the 3rd slide, one that has been there for weeks without any problem. I shouldn't have to periodically test my site to make certain that things haven't broken. That's just poor policy and poor QA on the software.

-Evan-
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    evanmc wrote:
    ALL of my galleries show this behavior:
    http://www.theglasslens.com/gallery/8738454_hw95S#577951542_cakoe

None of the previously showed this problem.

Under firefox:
    - The photos are not centered, but pushed to the right, as if the left hand edge is being treated as the center.
    - The "press esc to exit full screen mode" is not centered.
    - The photos are pushed down and the bottom 1/3 of the picture, perhaps is clipped.
    - It is as of the slideshow is computing the screen size incorrectly.
    - This is seen from both my laptop main screen as well as my 21" external monitor

Under IE 7:
    - Start slideshow pops up a new full screen browser with a blank screen. No slideshow, or anything.

Also, my bio slideshow is periodically stopping on the 3rd slide, one that has been there for weeks without any problem. I shouldn't have to periodically test my site to make certain that things haven't broken. That's just poor policy and poor QA on the software.

-Evan-
    I'm sorry. I don't see any of those issues on my computer in either FF3.5 or IE7. The only things I know to check are:

1) Make sure your browser zoom level is set to None or 100% so it isn't trying to scale anything.

2) Reinstall Adobe Flash (it only takes a few minutes to do)

3) Clear your browser cache.

In Safari, I did see an empty slideshow, but after clearing the browser cache, the slideshow started working again.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm sorry. I don't see any of those issues on my computer in either FF3.5 or IE7. The only things I know to check are:

1) Make sure your browser zoom level is set to None or 100% so it isn't trying to scale anything.

2) Reinstall Adobe Flash (it only takes a few minutes to do)

3) Clear your browser cache.

In Safari, I did see an empty slideshow, but after clearing the browser cache, the slideshow started working again.

Clearing the browser cache had no effect on IE or FF. They both exhibit the symptoms I described after doing so.

I won't hide my displeasure with smugmug over putting out software without proper testing and without allowing users to test and explicitly indicate that the new code be used. Were this a free service, I would have no problem with them changing code anytime they felt like it. A paying service, however, is a completely different matter.

The client gallery slideshow is an irritation. My home page gallery stopping after a few slides is unacceptable.

I will try re-installing flash, but that certainly isn't something I would ever expect a customer or potential customer to do.

I do very much appreciate your patient advice, thanks for helping me out!

-Evan-
    http://www.theglasslens.com
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    evanmc wrote:
    Clearing the browser cache had no effect on IE or FF. They both exhibit the symptoms I described after doing so.

I won't hide my displeasure with smugmug over putting out software without proper testing and without allowing users to test and explicitly indicate that the new code be used. Were this a free service, I would have no problem with them changing code anytime they felt like it. A paying service, however, is a completely different matter.

The client gallery slideshow is an irritation. My home page gallery stopping after a few slides is unacceptable.

I will try re-installing flash, but that certainly isn't something I would ever expect a customer or potential customer to do.

I do very much appreciate your patient advice, thanks for helping me out!

-Evan-
    http://www.theglasslens.com
    Yeah, I agree. With the volume of complaints, there's definitely something wrong with the slideshow - it just flat out isn't reliable right now. I wish I knew how to tell you to fix it, but I think the ball's in their court to make it solid.

FYI, I posted this bug report to try to get some official word on what's going on with the slideshow problems.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I believe that's a gallery that is locked into slideshow style.

--- Denise

Thank you! Makes sense.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    :confused:cry Change it back please. The portraits look absolutely puny, like thumbnails.

Malte

I agree - the new journal style looks great on my imac for both landscape and portrait photos - but I just looked at my gallery on my work laptop - which is a Dell with 1280x800 resolution - wide screen - and the portrait photos look super tiny compared to the landscape pics - what happened???

They look fine on my imac - even when I resize the browser window - but on my silly work computer they look very small -

595365857_vhsJk-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    what about ??
    Does anyone know if it is possible to insert a static stretchy image on the homepage (inside the bio for example) using the html code?
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    metatate wrote:
    Does anyone know if it is possible to insert a static stretchy image on the homepage (inside the bio for example) using the html code?
    There is no such thing as a stretchy image. Galleries are made stretchy by using javascript code that examines the window size and picks an appropriate pre-made image size (S, M, L, XL, X2, X3) for the display. To have the same kind of stretchy for your homepage, you would have to write some javascript code to do something similar.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Next you're going to tell me there's no such thing as unicorns ;)
    anyway, I realize that I should use quotes for "stretchy" ... But I'm just looking to use this feature without taking programming courses. I'm more than happy living in a world where the Easter bunny exists and carries around a basket of infinitely stretchy Jpgs.
    jfriend wrote:
    There is no such thing as a stretchy image. Galleries are made stretchy by using javascript code that examines the window size and picks an appropriate pre-made image size (S, M, L, XL, X2, X3) for the display. To have the same kind of stretchy for your homepage, you would have to write some javascript code to do something similar.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    In the new Journal style, clicking on any image to enlarge it is now redundant - I understand that. But how do I select the image to which "this photo" tools will be applied?
    I am still not able to select a single image to crop the thumbnail, make it the 'feature' image, or replace the image, etc.

Was this fixed and is just my problem, or is it a known remaining bug with the new Journal style which is still to be addressed? It's a serious nuisance to me! :uhoh
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    I am still not able to select a single image to crop the thumbnail, make it the 'feature' image, or replace the image, etc.

Was this fixed and is just my problem, or is it a known remaining bug with the new Journal style which is still to be addressed? It's a serious nuisance to me! :uhoh
    Did you just try it? When I tried it, a prompt popped up asking me to click on the photo that I wished to operate on.

2009-07-21_1444.png
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Did you just try it?
    Yes - and now I get it! I need to click on the image of interest and not dismiss the message box. 11doh.gif

Thanks (again) John.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Yes - and now I get it!
    Unfortunately, it appears I cannot 'hide' an image, as in other gallery styles, as the hide check box is not available. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Unfortunately, it appears I cannot 'hide' an image, as in other gallery styles, as the hide check box is not available. eek7.gif
    That seems to be an oversight. They should have the Hide option in the Tools menu. I'd suggest you file a bug report in the bug report sub-forum.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I'd suggest you file a bug report in the bug report sub-forum.
    Done!
  • Options
    SindikinsSindikins Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 24, 2009
    html galleries - how?
    Hi Denise:

I saw your post and was happy someone else liked the old journal too. I'm just getting around smug mugs customization tools. How do you make an html only gallerie and what would be the advantage?

Cynthia
    Thanks Andy - I was just doing a little playing to see if the new journal style will work for my travel stories galleries. It's interesting, because I want to highlight my newest travel story plus have links to all of the stories. Certainly making the photo larger highlights it. I didn't switch the gallery to the new journal style yet, but I suspect I will over the weekend.

I've already added the code to make the journal caption background a lighter shade of gray - the darker gray that defaulted for me (with a white background) made it uncomfortable for my old eyes to read the text.

My About page is already an html-only gallery, but my guestbooks aren't. And while I like the "in your face" look of the new journal style, that doesn't work well (for me) as the top of a guestbook. So I'll probably convert those to html-only galleries.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2009
    Per request by Allen, we moved the captions below the image in Slideshow. And you can style them now thumb.gif

http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-naotes/2009/07/23/bug-fixes-and-cleanup-july-23-2009/