Journal and Slideshow extreme makeovers

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Erick L wrote:
    That would be catastrophic.
    Styles and times change, Erick. All I can say at this point is that there's no guarantee that Old Journal will be around forever. Of course, we'll work with you to migrate or change to any other style! By the way, you've got some sort of formatting error in that gallery you linked -- holler to me if you want help getting it fixed, Erick deal.gif
    edited July 11, 2009
    MasterCow wrote:
    I like the new journal view, however I believe there is a small problem -- the photos are too big! So big, in fact, that I cannot see the entire photo without scrolling. Here's a screenshot to show you what I mean:

I think I should be able to see the entire photo at once, yes? My screen resolution is 1680x1050.

Yeah, scroll that gallery, you'll see that the 3:2 ratio shots fit your screen perfectly :D We had to make choices.

We do have other styles, like SmugMug Style with Lightobox, that fit the photo exactly, each time :D
  • gbrookshawgbrookshaw Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    You are right - that works now. When I first tried they wouldn't disappear and the photos weren't filling the screen either so something was obviously funky!

Works great - thanks for quick response!
    Gary

Brookshaw Photography

Wedding and Portrait Photography in Chester, UK
    edited July 11, 2009
    collin85 wrote:
    Excellent work on the Journal overhaul.. I was so impressed I've already switched to it for many of my galleries. Having been with Smugmug for nearly 3 years, this has probably been the upgrade which has impressed me the most.

Two questions though..

1) How do I change the length of the journal page? I'd like to be able to squeeze all my shots in one continuous page, rather than forcing people to navigate multiple pages if possible. Basically, like FlickRiver (a look I had been trying to emulate for awhile on Smugmug but gave up).
    I'm sorry, it can't be done yet - add your voice, here: http://smugmug.uservoice.com :D

2) How do I remove captions? Some of my galleries don't have captions for any of the photos, and it would be nice to have that entire caption grey bar from each shot completely removed.

Add this:

.gallery_6204330 .journal_caption_container {display: none;}

for just a gallery (like this one:
    http://www.collinzphotography.com/gallery/6204330_pxYFf

or this
    .journal_caption_container {display: none;} for your whole site. But rememer, there'll be no buy this photo button if you did that. Folks can still use the 'Buy' button at the top of your gallery to buy multiples though. Ask any more questions in the customizing forum, thanks!

to your CSS
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Woohoo ! exactly what i wanted to have, to display my photos.

And great photo collection eek7.gifhuh
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Styles and times change, Erick. All I can say at this point is that there's no guarantee that Old Journal will be around forever. Of course, we'll work with you to migrate or change to any other style! By the way, you've got some sort of formatting error in that gallery you linked -- holler to me if you want help getting it fixed, Erick deal.gif

The error is there only with the new journal. That was the point.

Customers change too. Will you help me migrate my images to some other site?
    edited July 11, 2009
    Erick L wrote:
    The error is there only with the new journal. That was the point.

Customers change too. Will you help me migrate my images to some other site?
    Erick, we never said your OldJournal stuff would work with the new Journal, that's why we've left Old Journal. Does this make sense?

Sure, we know customers can change, and that's why since day 1 of SmugMug we've never, ever held your photos away from you. We make your originals easy to get, because we know Vendor Lock-in Sucks. We know customers will vote with their hearts and wallets.

I expect we'll have some kind of solution that satisfies everyone, Erick. In the meantime, I hope you re-set your OldJournal gallery, and maybe enjoy some photos biiig in new journal! wave.gif
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    MasterCow wrote:
    I like the new journal view, however I believe there is a small problem -- the photos are too big! So big, in fact, that I cannot see the entire photo without scrolling. Here's a screenshot to show you what I mean:

I think I should be able to see the entire photo at once, yes? My screen resolution is 1680x1050.
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah, scroll that gallery, you'll see that the 3:2 ratio shots fit your screen perfectly :D We had to make choices.

We do have other styles, like SmugMug Style with Lightobox, that fit the photo exactly, each time :D

I know extra options are a double-edged sword, but would it be possible to have an option (even a JS flag) which would force all images to size themselves on the height of the browser window rather than the width? That would eliminate h-scrolling for those of us that don't like it.
  • Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Erick, we never said your OldJournal stuff would work with the new Journal, that's why we've left Old Journal. Does this make sense?

You said the old journal will be nuked and to use the new one or make html pages. I've put countless hours of work to make these pages and you'll flush it for no other reason than "style changes".

You have a perfectly good working style and will flush for something that doesn't even look remotely close. Why can't you fix things that already exist instead of adding new buggy stuff?
    edited July 11, 2009
    Erick L wrote:
    You said the old journal will be nuked and to use the new one or make html pages. I've put countless hours of work to make these pages and you'll flush it for no other reason than "style changes".
    You have a perfectly good working style and will flush for something that doesn't even look remotely close. Why can't you fix things that already exist instead of adding new buggy stuff?

Heh - nuked was probably the wrong word - updated is better - I think we plan at some point to have a new style that will replace the 750px narrow Old Journal style. For now, we've kept it, Erick - and we've no definite plans to remove the other one yet. And you can see we're getting input here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=136731 thanks!
    edited July 11, 2009
    Erick L wrote:
    You said the old journal will be nuked
    yeah I updated my post, sorry for the scare - while anything's possible, we're just gathering input at this point. Thanks Erick!
  • anglotexiananglotexian Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    New Journal: thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been one of those requesting this for a long time.

Old Journal: still have a need for this!
    Please don't ever scrap it. Make it more customizable maybe, but please don't toss it out altogether.
  • methdmethd Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Is there any way to remove that dropdown bar and massive buttons so that it doesn't show at all in the slideshow? I had it like that previously, and was more than happy with it.
    edited July 11, 2009
    New Journal: thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been one of those requesting this for a long time.

Old Journal: still have a need for this!
    Please don't ever scrap it. Make it more customizable maybe, but please don't toss it out altogether.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=136731
  • timcallowtimcallow Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Great enhancements to the journal page, thanks.
  • mhthompsmhthomps Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Is there a way to make the flash slideshow on my landing page stretchy too?
    That would be pretty sweet if the home page slideshow could expand/contract based on the viewer's window size.
    edited July 11, 2009
    mhthomps wrote:
    That would be pretty sweet if the home page slideshow could expand/contract based on the viewer's window size.
    No, but you can make it bigger, mine is 1000px wide :D
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com

Maybe one day we'll have stretchability there on the homepage.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    In the new Journal style, clicking on any image to enlarge it is now redundant - I understand that. But how do I select the image to which "this photo" tools will be applied?

In other words, I presume "this photo" is the top/uppermost image. What if I want to apply a tool function to another (just one) image - for example to replace the fourth image, or make the second image the featured image, etc?
    Bumpity bump! :D
    edited July 11, 2009
    Bumpity bump! :D
    Like denise said, it's a theme thing - we'll fix the default themes for customizers in the next day or so I hope. In the meantime, apply a new theme like SmugMug Gradient, or Gradient White, or SmugMug Dashed to your gallery and you'll see it. Or view it as http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/834730_WFSQQ/1/37392154_knohY

try this way http://rosscollins.smugmug.com/gallery/834730_WFSQQ/1/37392154_knohY with SmugMug Classic theme applied also.
    edited July 11, 2009
    Thanks Andy. Which reminds me - the caption container seems always a pixel or two wider than the image (to the right). Is that a known bug?

This is a great new SmugMug feature by the way! thumb.gif
  • cameraguy64cameraguy64 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Force Slideshow
    How do I force the new stretchy slideshow? When I force slideshow from the customize menu I just get the old ones.
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    How do I force the new stretchy slideshow? When I force slideshow from the customize menu I just get the old ones.

You might be using a non-stretchy theme.
  • cameraguy64cameraguy64 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    You might be using a non-stretchy theme.

This is the gallery:

http://www.robchron.com/gallery/3527644

I have it set to force slideshow. And the theme is set to default. Stretchy works with the "smugmug" view.

Any ideas?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,336 moderator
    edited July 11, 2009
    This is the gallery:

I have it set to force slideshow. And the theme is set to default. Stretchy works with the "smugmug" view.
    I suspect you've run into the same problem that I have, see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=136680. I'm seeing the same (mis)behavior on my site wiith both the journal and the slideshow styles. It's been acknowledged as a problem with the underlying smugmugBlack & smugmugWhite - sounds like Andy has it handled. In the meantime he suggested using SmugMug Gradient, or Gradient Grey, or SmugMug Dashed, or Gradient White as a theme for your galleries.

--- Denise
    edited July 11, 2009
    This is the gallery:

Any ideas?
    Yes, like I've said above, set your theme to Smug Gradient, or Smug Classic, and you'll see the goodnss. We'll fix this in the next day or so and you won't have to do that.
    edited July 11, 2009
    Thanks Andy. Which reminds me - the caption container seems always a pixel or two wider than the image (to the right). Is that a known bug?

This is a great new SmugMug feature by the way! thumb.gif
    It is not a bug, it's the same width as the image with the image border, please look here :)
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/3571799_T29nu
  • collin85collin85 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry, it can't be done yet - add your voice, here: http://smugmug.uservoice.com :D

Add this:

.gallery_6204330 .journal_caption_container {display: none;}

for just a gallery (like this one:
    http://www.collinzphotography.com/gallery/6204330_pxYFf

or this
    .journal_caption_container {display: none;} for your whole site. But rememer, there'll be no buy this photo button if you did that. Folks can still use the 'Buy' button at the top of your gallery to buy multiples though. Ask any more questions in the customizing forum, thanks!

to your CSS

Many thanks Andy! :D
  • TbiaforeTbiafore Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    I have read thru all 6 pages and not really seen my question asked so I am assuming I am missing something. I checked the settings and have my images set to stretched but I am trying to get my main image view that scrolls thru my images on my home page to fill the browser. How can I go about doing this?

Thanks!

www.nerdgodphotography.com

--Thor
    www.NerdGodPhotography.com <-- Come check it out!
    edited July 11, 2009
    Tbiafore wrote:
    I have read thru all 6 pages and not really seen my question asked so I am assuming I am missing something. I checked the settings and have my images set to stretched but I am trying to get my main image view that scrolls thru my images on my home page to fill the browser. How can I go about doing this?

Thanks!

www.nerdgodphotography.com

--Thor
    Hi Thor, the homepage slideshow wasn't made stretchy, I'm so sorry!
    edited July 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    It is not a bug, it's the same width as the image with the image border
    Thanks. So the design assumption is that the colour of the caption container background is also the colour of a 1px border around the image. In other words, the container has no discernible border.

If I don't want the image border, or if I also want a discernible border around the image container (other than the colour of the container background), what is the customisation code to reduce the width of the container by 2px so the borders will line up? That has me stumped! ne_nau.gif