Options

Sept 8th Site Issues (can't upload & speed)

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    With MacDaddy? Get Beta4 here http://hacks.introversion.com.au/MacDaddy/

No, I meant with LR using the plugin.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Is it faster now? ear.gif
    Most operations are faster nwo for me. Showing randomly selected thumbs (like happens in a category page) is still very, very slow.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,253 moderator
    edited September 8, 2009
    Still pretty slow here. Smugmug-style displays are now reasonably fast, but my HTML-only pages that select random photos from galleries (similar to the standard smug category pages) are still much slower than they should be.

Example page - http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Focus/Travel/To-Newfoundland-August-2009/9456780_KV56k.

--- Denise
  • Options
    rfcrumrfcrum Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2009
    Continuing Intermittent Problems
    Andy wrote:
    Is it faster now? ear.gif
    The problem seem to still exist. Most of my images pull up in 5-8 seconds (still too slow IMHO), but some take 30-60 seconds to load. Are the engineers continuing to research the issue?
  • Options
    wslamwslam Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:

Cant upload period. I even get time out loading the upload.smugmug.com pages
  • Options
    jpineaujpineau Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:

I do have an email into the Lightroom plugin developer to see if it is somehow related to the Snow Leopard upgrade of the OS.
  • Options
    wslamwslam Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    jpineau wrote:
    I do have an email into the Lightroom plugin developer to see if it is somehow related to the Snow Leopard upgrade of the OS.

I am having problem with the Simple Uploader as well, also under Snow Leopard.

What is worst... just now, I uploaded a video. It uploaded... twice actually but nothing shows up.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Still having issues at 8:58am PST.

I am using the windows uploader. 5 errors out of 10 pictures.

I am even getting the error message while trying to upload the screen capture of the error message.

Sometimes the error images show up, sometimes they do not.

I have a few hundred pics to upload today for a client, is there any fix for this besides the bulletproof option?

643171619_XBpSL-L.jpg

As added fun, I have to hit TRY AGAIN four to five times just to get the error messages.

643175635_NAYtu-L.jpg
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    mudhousemudhouse Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Slooooow and nonresponsive slideshows
    My site is finally up, and I added a slide show option last night. I've been hearing reports from some viewers that they can't get the slideshow to work - blank black page and no thumbnails in the strip at the top. Others see the thumbs loading, but the slide show never starts. In my case, sometimes it works, and at other times it doesn't. I've tried it in Firefox, Camino and Safari, all the latest versions with the latest version of Flash, on two different Macs with the latest OS updates applied, and it's not working as it should. Every now and then, Safari will run the slideshow properly, but not consistently.

What's happening here?

Thanks,
    Dave

http://davereichertphoto.com/
  • Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Same thing here. Tried uploading numerous times. Seems to upload, but when I go to the gallery, it isn't there.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Still pretty slow here. Smugmug-style displays are now reasonably fast, but my HTML-only pages that select random photos from galleries (similar to the standard smug category pages) are still much slower than they should be.

Example page - http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Focus/Travel/To-Newfoundland-August-2009/9456780_KV56k.

--- Denise
    I've noticed the same thing with random thumbs. I've also noticed that custom sizes take forever to generate and because of that some slideshows are not working.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    OPS has collected plenty of data and working on the slowness. Sorry folks, this is really important to us -we'll get it fixed.
  • Options
    npudarnpudar Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    I've been having similar issues. In addition to those issues stated in the original post, I have also had the slideshow just stop midway, and then I can't restart it.

Nick
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    Working on it, guys. I'm very sorry.
  • Options
    bikelantabikelanta Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Upload issues
    Just thought I'd add that I've tried the simple uploader and the LR plug-in, including whatever version I originally had and the new Beta 4 version. I am unable to upload and get network interruption errors.

Regards,
    T.J.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Just an fyi if it helps on what client may or may not be working...

I am using Send to Smugmug and have tried several times this morning and cannot get anything to load.

Thanks! Keep us posted via the RSS feed once we have an all clear so we can start uploading again. thumb.gif
  • Options
    npudarnpudar Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Just chiming in on my own upload problems, hoping that it might be helpful additional info for the debugging process.

For past couple of days, unable to upload images due to "Network interuption" error. I use Jeffrey's Lightroom plugin. I also tried to upload a single picture using the Java app from within Smugmug, and while it looks as though it successfully uploaded, the image is not in the gallery. Also, from one of my earlier upload errors, one if the images made it through, but is now in a perpetual "Processing Image" state of existence.

I do hope this issue can get resolved quickly. Thanks.
    Nick
  • Options
    jtrefjtref Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Incredibly slow here as well
    SM is incredibly slow here as well - and Ihave FIOS which is lightening fast for every other site I try...

Does SM Support read this forum? where is the official word from SM? I am ready to switch to a new service if speed is not addressed soon.
  • Options
    CrystalLynnCrystalLynn Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2009
    Also experiencing same problems
    Experiencing same upload problems. Have tried both the java uploader from within SmugMug and going back to the no frills basic uploader. Basic uploader takes me to a diagnose connection problems page. Java Uploader acts like it uploads and tells me 1/1 went through but then the gallery is still empty. Repeated that a couple times and no photo ever appears.
  • Options
    redcrown@mchsi.comredcrown@mchsi.com Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    The slowness of the instant is in the shadow of increasing degradation of service over the past weeks and months.

While I'm waiting for the paint to dry on my SmugMug displays I fire up other windows and browse Flickr, Photonet, Zenfolio, etc. All the others just hum right along while SmugMug emulates the proverbial tortoise.

Mayhaps SmugMug is chocking on their success? Mayhaps they should step back, realize they are no longer a leader, and study how the other guys are doing it?

P.S. For what it's worth, I'd pay more if that's what it takes. I used to worry that SmugMug would sell themselves to Google, Yahoo, or Microsoft. Now I'm starting to think that may be a good thing.
  • Options
    MichaelScottMichaelScott Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2009
    Same here -- just attempted an upload of 22 pics, and curiously only the smaller files succeeded -- those over ~4 or 5 MB all failed. Definitely some kind of timeout problem. How about a progress update?

Thanks
    Scott
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    Same here -- just attempted an upload of 22 pics, and curiously only the smaller files succeeded -- those over ~4 or 5 MB all failed. Definitely some kind of timeout problem. How about a progress update?

Thanks
    Scott
    http://smugmug.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/9809-uploading-and-speed-issues/
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    jtref wrote:
    SM is incredibly slow here as well - and Ihave FIOS which is lightening fast for every other site I try...

Does SM Support read this forum? where is the official word from SM? I am ready to switch to a new service if speed is not addressed soon.
    Hi, I posted just above you.
    Yes, we read it and we are posting updates. The best place to follow for updates will be our status blog, thanks:

I'm very sorry for the hassle today.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    All the others just hum right along while SmugMug emulates the proverbial tortoise.

Today, and a few times recently.

But we've spent $a$fortune$ in making sure the site is fast, faster than any other site out there. It's been fast for a long, long, long time.

We're sorry for the speed issue today (and recently). Our ops will get it repaired, and SmugMug will be back up to speed!
  • Options
    jtrefjtref Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, I posted just above you.
    Yes, we read it and we are posting updates. The best place to follow for updates will be our status blog, thanks:

I'm very sorry for the hassle today.

Sorry I missed your post Andy - thanks so much for the response and the link to more info. crossing my fingers that this is taken care of and we wont see this issue in the future.

The slowness is particularly worse today, but I have seen it be slow for the past few months...seems like it is always waiting on google analytics or pixel.quantserve.com or something like that...might be a problem with one of your partners too?

-Josh

http://JoshTrefethen.com
    follow me: http://twitter.com/joshtrefethen
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Official statement on recent problems?
    It's getting to be a bit much. :cry

It might be my perception on this but, to me, there has been loads of problems lately. Alot more offline or read only time on scheduled times and non-scheduled times, emergency downtime, uplading issue, speed issue, upload log issue, perpetual processing issue.

I know you guys are super transparent as you're investigating and fixing these issues and I know you break your backs fixing them, but I think it's time for more post mortem style reports. What happened, why did it happen and most important, why won't it happen again.

If I put it this way, this is the first time in four years that this service isn't worth the $150...

Malte
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    It's getting to be a bit much. :cry

It might be my perception on this but, to me, there has been loads of problems lately. Alot more offline or read only time on scheduled times and non-scheduled times, emergency downtime, uplading issue, speed issue, upload log issue, perpetual processing issue.

I know you guys are super transparent as you're investigating and fixing these issues and I know you break your backs fixing them, but I think it's time for more post mortem style reports. What happened, why did it happen and most important, why won't it happen again.

If I put it this way, this is the first time in four years that this service isn't worth the $150...

Malte

Right now I can't upload. :cry

Lots of quirky behavior for me too.
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Nope i'm still on Leopard - not the Snowy version, and have the issue
    and thanks Andy for the update
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    Hey Malte - you're right.

I'll see if I can get Don to post to our status blog, once they're out from under this.

http://smugmug.wordpress.com

Much like he did, here:
    http://smugmug.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/scheduled-maintenance-tuesday-811-and-thursday-813/
  • Options
    EverythingEverywhereEverythingEverywhere Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Not working for me either. I cannot upload from MacDaddy or the web interface.
    2014 Travel Photographer of the Year, Society of American Travel Writers
    2013 & 2015 Travel Photographer of the Year, North American Travel Journalists Association

Facebook | Travel Blog | Travel Photography | Instagram | Google+